The Baker Mayfield and His Mouth Thread

38 minutes ago, Dunnie said:

Wow ....

Darnold had 1/4 the supporting cast of Mayfield last year.

This year will tell a lot.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

exactly.  and....Mayfield only won 3 more games than Sam.  THREE!!!  not like he went to the playoffs or anything!  Texans game, Packers game, even the Browns game:  all of them Sam had the lead late in the game and the Jets "staunch D" did what we Jets fans have come accustomed to:  they blew it!  the only reason we won the Colts game was because Sam had given the D such a huge cushion.

Point is:  Jets easily could have been a 6-7 win team last year.  with THAT roster....crazy!!  If Mayfield does not make the playoffs this year with his roster.....wow

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Legend Killa7 said:

exactly.  and....Mayfield only won 3 more games than Sam.  THREE!!!  not like he went to the playoffs or anything!  Texans game, Packers game, even the Browns game:  all of them Sam had the lead late in the game and the Jets "staunch D" did what we Jets fans have come accustomed to:  they blew it!  the only reason we won the Colts game was because Sam had given the D such a huge cushion.

Point is:  Jets easily could have been a 6-7 win team last year.  with THAT roster....crazy!!  If Mayfield does not make the playoffs this year with his roster.....wow

Actually, I think he only won 2 more games than Sam, but he lost 1 less.  Mayfield was better than Darnold in every category - 6% more completions, 40 more ypg, more game winning drives, like 10 more TDs with less INTs, .8 more ypa.  I am happy with Darnold, but at this point Mayfield has been the better QB. 

• Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, slats said:

I suspect the Jets were a real factor in Mayfield going #1 overall. The draft order that year was Browns, Giants, Jets, Browns. I think Dorsey was seriously toying with the idea of taking Barkley #1, thinking that Mayfield would be there at #4 with Darnold and Rosen, at that time, generally considered the top two QBs in the draft. Had Barkley gone #1, the Giants easily could've taken Darnold #2, and word got out that the Jets weren't going to let Mayfield get past #3. If that word hadn't leaked, Mayfield might've been a Jet, and the Browns might've been choosing between Rosen and Allen at QB. 

Clever move by the Jets to leak that info to land Darnold? Or stupid move that cost them Mayfield? Again, time will tell. 

If the target was Mayfield, then that 'leak' could only hurt.  If the target was Darnold, then getting CLE to pass on Barkley at 1 was the perfect move or else we very well could have ended up with Mayfield.  So following that logic, it certainly seems as if Darnold was always our #1 target.

I, for one, am ecstatic with how it worked out, whether by careful plan or by chance.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, nico002 said:

Right now I’d say yes baker has a slightly stronger arm if we are talking about simply rifling a ball in a straight line.

however Darnold has a stronger arm throwing on the move and from awkward positions/his feet not set. 

You don’t make the throw @ 1 min in this video without incredibly special throwing abilities. 

Not every QB throws as hard as he can to a WR when he doesnt have to rifle it in there.  Why I told him to watch his first season at USC.  He rifled everything.  They put up his traits at the beginning of the Penn St game and arm strength was number 1.

Youre right, on the run, off of different angles are what I look at, when a QB has to really let it go.  Darnolds arm is stronger  Not tons stronger, they both have big arms, both have more than enough arm to win.  Its just part of the he grabbed his balls, I love him review

• Upvote 1
  • WTF? 1

10 hours ago, slats said:

No, it's not cool. 

But you referring to Warfish as "warminnow" randomly, without quoting or tagging him, is both childish and cowardly. I found those posts days later and left them there, but they certainly helped lead me to calling you out today. If you can recognize the problem, you should be able to recognize how to not be a part of it. 

We don't like banning people here. It's not common. But attacking other members here without quoting or tagging them to notify and allow them to defend their positions is just wrong and won't be tolerated. If you insist on continuing to do such a thing, you will be given some time off. I'd prefer not to do that. 

He has me on ignore, I'm not engaging him directly because hes either not seeing what I write or doesnt want to see what I write.  As I said, just goofing.  Not a problem, wont happen

As to being called an azzhole, I really dont care, its the internet.  My issue is someone calls me something, I respond and get warned for calling them a douche.  Then someone jumps in for no reason and calls me an azzhole and it goes right by.  I know you guys cant be everywhere, everyday, but it has happened more than once and there really needs to be some consistency.  Its not that big a deal, just a little confusing at times. 

11 hours ago, kdels62 said:

I watched so many USC games that I was sure Darnold wasn’t the best QB to come out that year. 

And from reading your college reviews you didnt notice or care that Baker played in a gimmicky wide open offense while Darnold played in a more conventional, pro style offense.  Or that Darnold lost a large portion of his team going into his senior year.  We already know that you dont see that a year and a half exp vs 4 makes and their ages make them different then and now.

Baker had the better rookie year, we all know this.  Most of us think that by the time Darnold hits 24 years old, he will be the better QB.  

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, nycdan said:

If the target was Mayfield, then that 'leak' could only hurt.  If the target was Darnold, then getting CLE to pass on Barkley at 1 was the perfect move or else we very well could have ended up with Mayfield.  So following that logic, it certainly seems as if Darnold was always our #1 target.

I, for one, am ecstatic with how it worked out, whether by careful plan or by chance.

I find it hard to believe that Mike Maccagnan and the Jets were that clever but, as always, it's better to be lucky than good. 

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

And from reading your college reviews you didnt notice or care that Baker played in a gimmicky wide open offense while Darnold played in a more conventional, pro style offense.  Or that Darnold lost a large portion of his team going into his senior year.  We already know that you dont see that a year and a half exp vs 4 makes and their ages make them different then and now.

Baker had the better rookie year, we all know this.  Most of us think that by the time Darnold hits 24 years old, he will be the better QB.  

Darnold played in a spread system and made no line checks. There was nothing pro-style about Darnold’s college ball. And yes Darnold is younger but in college in his first year starting Mayfield did what Darnold did, but he did it better. 

If Darnold can improve to Mayfield’s performance last year this season will be a success.

1 hour ago, kdels62 said:

Darnold played in a spread system and made no line checks. There was nothing pro-style about Darnold’s college ball. And yes Darnold is younger but in college in his first year starting Mayfield did what Darnold did, but he did it better. 

If Darnold can improve to Mayfield’s performance last year this season will be a success.

I’m counting on Sam exceeding Mayfield, not many rookie QBs that made OROY, or in contention, succeeded as a top QB in the league.

No one knows, even the so-called “experts” - both the well paid, and the message board geniuses, thus foolish to be emphatic about a QB career.

• WTF? 1

1 hour ago, kdels62 said:

You are right.  One thing I'll say, unless I'm mistaken, Mayfield has been a QB his whole life.  Darnold was a linebacker who became a QB and still got to USC.  I would expect Mayfield to be ahead of Darnold by a bit.  But, I think, and hope,  Darnold's ceiling is higher than Mayfield's. 

And, I'm speaking as a fan of his on the field accomplishments and I truly expected him to be a Jet.  And, I was good with that. 

3 hours ago, Dunnie said:

Wow ....

Darnold had 1/4 the supporting cast of Mayfield last year.

This year will tell a lot.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Ummmm Bates isn’t on anyone’s list for OC ever again. So there’s the thing called coaching and scheme which makes a difference too..

• Upvote 3
  • WTF? 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

2 hours ago, slats said:

I find it hard to believe that Mike Maccagnan and the Jets were that clever but, as always, it's better to be lucky than good. 

Luck is the residue of design. 

I think Mac knew at that point Gettleman was taking Barkley and Mac would have his choice of either Baker or Sam. 

Moving to 3 got him his QB. 

Thanks in large part to a massive screwup by the Giants. And Barkley is a wonderful player. 

But not a QB. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

3 hours ago, kdels62 said:

Sure he did.

You'll just keep going.  Mayfield played in a completely different O, in a different conference against weak defenses.  I dont care what your comeback is.  Hes older.  Hes played more games.  He played in a gimmick O that had people wondering if he would have problems in the NFL.  He was ranked 3-4 spots below Darnold, even with the age and exp differences.  There are no butts.  

The last line is just some lame troll try

Didnt realize how bad a Mayfield fanboy you were.  You might be the biggest Baker fanboy on JN.  Congrats.  

• WTF? 1
  • Sympathy 1

19 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Sure he did.

You'll just keep going.  Mayfield played in a completely different O, in a different conference against weak defenses.  I dont care what your comeback is.  Hes older.  Hes played more games.  He played in a gimmick O that had people wondering if he would have problems in the NFL.  He was ranked 3-4 spots below Darnold, even with the age and exp differences.  There are no butts.  

The last line is just some lame troll try

Didnt realize how bad a Mayfield fanboy you were.  You might be the biggest Baker fanboy on JN.  Congrats.  

What’s weird is that I have a point a view, backed by all these facts and observations. Other people disagree and we get along, jovially laughing at my follies or just disagreeing. 

Then you come along, like a vacuum of joy and condescend and speak like someone with more than an ill conceived prepackaged opinion. You bore me.

2 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

What’s weird is that I have a point a view, backed by all these facts and observations. Other people disagree and we get along, jovially laughing at my follies or just disagreeing. 

Then you come along, like a vacuum of joy and condescend and speak like someone with more than an ill conceived prepackaged opinion. You bore me.

You pretty much have given your opinion, which you are total entitled to off of your feelings.

You feel that BM has a stronger arm, no facts.  You feel he can read a D better, not a fact.  You feel hes more accurate, not a fact.  You feel he would have been better than Darnold if he had played on the Jets last year, not a fact.  You feel those who ranked him 4th or so last year were wrong, not a fact.  Check out the definition of a fact, might help 

So yeah, when I point this out, some say, youre right, others get their panties twisted and say things like "a vacuum of joy and condescend and speak like someone with more than an ill conceived prepackaged opinion. You bore me."

Have to love those who talk about free flow of opinion and then fight with everyone who has a differing opinion and claim there here to fight.  Youre telling the same old story.  Best is you jump to the defense of every poster on the board who I think is clueless.  And hey, have to ask.  Since youre bored, wtf do you keep replying to me, cant you let anything die?  Oh yeah, its me and my prepackaged opinion  

Bye, dont reply, youre really boring with your whining 

3 hours ago, HelenOfTroy said:

I’m counting on Sam exceeding Mayfield, not many rookie QBs that made OROY, or in contention, succeeded as a top QB in the league.

No one knows, even the so-called “experts” - both the well paid, and the message board geniuses, thus foolish to be emphatic about a QB career.

I'm counting that you would be hard pressed to find someone here who didn't already know that. Aunt Helen. 

22 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

You pretty much have given your opinion, which you are total entitled to off of your feelings.

You feel that BM has a stronger arm, no facts.  You feel he can read a D better, not a fact.  You feel hes more accurate, not a fact.  You feel he would have been better than Darnold if he had played on the Jets last year, not a fact.  You feel those who ranked him 4th or so last year were wrong, not a fact.  Check out the definition of a fact, might help 

So yeah, when I point this out, some say, youre right, others get their panties twisted and say things like "a vacuum of joy and condescend and speak like someone with more than an ill conceived prepackaged opinion. You bore me."

Have to love those who talk about free flow of opinion and then fight with everyone who has a differing opinion and claim there here to fight.  Youre telling the same old story.  Best is you jump to the defense of every poster on the board who I think is clueless.  And hey, have to ask.  Since youre bored, wtf do you keep replying to me, cant you let anything die?  Oh yeah, its me and my prepackaged opinion  

Bye, dont reply, youre really boring with your whining 

I can’t help myself. I love to debate and discuss opinions and provide facts for the things I think. You don’t. For instance, PFF points out that Mayfield better than Darnold based on his on field performance and evaluations. You disregard that because “your eyes are better.” Every metric shows that Mayfield is better and has been better than Darnold at every level. You disregard this because “your eyes.” You cite sources that liked Darnold but don’t look at their evaluation method which they don’t provide and mostly consists of “I liked the way this looked,” without regard for their past failures. 

So while I’ll give you my opinion I’ll give you good reasons for those opinions. You’re just loud.

• Post of the Week 1

4 hours ago, kdels62 said:

I can’t help myself. I love to debate and discuss opinions and provide facts for the things I think. You don’t. For instance, PFF points out that Mayfield better than Darnold based on his on field performance and evaluations. You disregard that because “your eyes are better.” Every metric shows that Mayfield is better and has been better than Darnold at every level. You disregard this because “your eyes.” You cite sources that liked Darnold but don’t look at their evaluation method which they don’t provide and mostly consists of “I liked the way this looked,” without regard for their past failures. 

So while I’ll give you my opinion I’ll give you good reasons for those opinions. You’re just loud.

Every matrix showed that BM outperformed Darnold up until the ending 4 games of the season.  True.  With better players, better coaching and more exp right now, yes.  We all get this.  The mistake is actually thinking this means it will always stay this way because PFF says what we all saw in the numbers.  You can argue with yourself all you want but you just dont Fn get it.  In fact maybe thats your problem, you dont even know the argument that youre starting.

So where am I loud?  Why do you really keep coming back?  

Im BORED, one last time, GO AWAY

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Every matrix showed that BM outperformed Darnold up until the ending 4 games of the season.  True.  With better players, better coaching and more exp right now, yes.  We all get this.  The mistake is actually thinking this means it waill always stay this way because PFF says what we all saw in the numbers.  You can argue with yourself all you want but you just dont Fn get it.  In fact maybe thats your problem, you dont even know the argument that youre starting.

So where am I loud?  Why do you really keep coming back?  

Im BORED, one last time, GO AWAY

So Mayfield is better and the only thing that might make him not better in the future is your hope? I agree with this.

There was just a food truck outside of the office building.  Short on time, I decided to see what they had.  One of their menu items was called, The Baker Mayfield.  It made me so angry.  Furious even.  I legit put the menu down and started to walk away but I noticed that on the back of the menu, there was some pictures of the items and in a quick glance I saw that The Baker Mayfield was an insanely loaded baked potato.  Pulled pork, bacon, onion rings, sour cream and melted cheese.  It sounded delicious.  Similar to how I finally came to grips with the fact that the Jets were going to draft Baker Mayfield, I had a change of perspective.  I decided to order The Baker Mayfield because I figured I could eat it and act like I was eating pieces of Baker Mayfield himself only to later be able to say to myself, ewwww, I think I need to poop The Baker Mayfield out me and flush him down the toilet.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

So Mayfield is better and the only thing that might make him not better in the future is your hope? I agree with this.

Some hope yes of course, but we are projecting Darnold based on his age, talent, and performances. The kid is incredibly talented. Tony Romo believes Sam has the potential to be the best QB in the NFL- is he basing it off hope too?

• Upvote 2

13 minutes ago, nico002 said:

Some hope yes of course, but we are projecting Darnold based on his age, talent, and performances. The kid is incredibly talented. Tony Romo believes Sam has the potential to be the best QB in the NFL- is he basing it off hope too?

Kind of. He gave a hot take and didn’t give you film or analysis, he just made a statement that if he’s right he’ll take credit for and if he’s wrong it’s no harm no foul.  No one saw Mayfield being as good as he was last year. There are sites that have lists with Mayfield as the 10th best prospect in the last 2 years, it’s important to know what they missed. FWIW you and I didn’t see eye to eye on Darnold before or during the season but I’ve definitely grown to believe in Darnold’s ability.

22 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

I am guilty of it often enough myself, but I am pretty sure that you could just look in the mirror. 

I don't believe I take the threads off track often, I think just my presence sends certain people off and they come after me.  I go with the direction of the thread, our Eli arguments are much better than what this thread turned into in the last day.

• Haha 1

44 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

Since you can't leave and continue to think you're dealing with facts, or your definition of facts.  

Yes, it's my opinion and believe that he'll wind up the better player.  

Just as you believe BM will develop into the better player.  Because if he doesnt develop your theory is as worthless as you saying I bore you

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, JiF said:

There was just a food truck outside of the office building.  Short on time, I decided to see what they had.  One of their menu items was called, The Baker Mayfield.  It made me so angry.  Furious even.  I legit put the menu down and started to walk away but I noticed that on the back of the menu, there was some pictures of the items and in a quick glance I saw that The Baker Mayfield was an insanely loaded baked potato.  Pulled pork, bacon, onion rings, sour cream and melted cheese.  It sounded delicious.  Similar to how I finally came to grips with the fact that the Jets were going to draft Baker Mayfield, I had a change of perspective.  I decided to order The Baker Mayfield because I figured I could eat it and act like I was eating pieces of Baker Mayfield himself only to later be able to say to myself, ewwww, I think I need to poop The Baker Mayfield out me and flush him down the toilet.

How did a stuffed Baker Mayfield taste?

Asking for a friend. 

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

Actually, I think he only won 2 more games than Sam, but he lost 1 less.  Mayfield was better than Darnold in every category - 6% more completions, 40 more ypg, more game winning drives, like 10 more TDs with less INTs, .8 more ypa.  I am happy with Darnold, but at this point Mayfield has been the better QB. 

But you have to take into account that Baker has better protection and weapons. Also is two years older so he might of been more NFL ready in year 1 but I doubt that’s gonna last.  Don’t get me wrong Baker was impressive but Sam can do more things IMO and has the higher ceiling.  Sam was great in the second half despite no oline and no weapons outside of a rookie Herndon and Robby 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Jets723 said:

But you have to take into account that Baker has better protection and weapons. Also is two years older so he might of been more NFL ready in year 1 but I doubt that’s gonna last.  Don’t get me wrong Baker was impressive but Sam can do more things IMO and has the higher ceiling.  Sam was great in the second half despite no oline and no weapons outside of a rookie Herndon and Robby 

This 100%!!

And I wanted the Jets to draft Mayfield.......

My fear concerning Darnold was the Jets have never really developed a QB properly as far as I can see (Closest was Chad) and certainly not in the last 15 years, Baker IMO had less Downside forget Upside, so I wanted Baker for that reason alone.. 

Think with Bowles and Mac incharge could anyone truly believe that they were going to groom a young QB?

What has happened so far in IMO is a miracle.

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, Charlie Brown said:

This 100%!!

And I wanted the Jets to draft Mayfield.......

My fear concerning Darnold was the Jets have never really developed a QB properly as far as I can see (Closest was Chad) and certainly not in the last 15 years, Baker IMO had less Downside forget Upside, so I wanted Baker for that reason alone.. 

Think with Bowles and Mac incharge could anyone truly believe that they were going to groom a young QB?

What has happened so far in IMO is a miracle.

I think it just shows how good Darnold is. Despite having an awful coach and no protection or weapons his rookie year as a 21 year old he still impressed. For example   When Baker faced the Texans who were a playoff team and a defensive monster he obviously struggled a lot.  When Sam faced them he singlehandedly almost beat them.  So much that the Texans were praising him afterward.  I think Gase and Douglas are gonna help Sam reach his ceiling

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

8 minutes ago, Jets723 said:

I think it just shows how good Darnold is. Despite having an awful coach and no protection or weapons his rookie year as a 21 year old he still impressed. For example   When Baker faced the Texans who were a playoff team and a defensive monster he obviously struggled a lot.  When Sam faced them he singlehandedly almost beat them.  So much that the Texans were praising him afterward.  I think Gase and Douglas are gonna help Sam reach his ceiling

I didn't know about Mayfield and the Texan's game...

I am actually going to look at it now!

Thank you!

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Charlie Brown said:

I didn't know about Mayfield and the Texan's game...

I am actually going to look at it now!

Thank you!

Sure.  I think he threw 3 picks.  I’m not trying to say Baker wasn’t good because he obviously was but I always wanted Sam    Before any other QB in that draft.  

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

6 minutes ago, Jets723 said:

Sure.  I think he threw 3 picks.  I’m not trying to say Baker wasn’t good because he obviously was but I always wanted Sam    Before any other QB in that draft.  

You know I'm not knocking him because I said I wanted Baker and why.

But some Jets fans act delusional and denigrate Darnold just because and act like the OL was really good when it wasn't again to denigrate Darnold and I for one don't understand it.

Oh and Thank Goodness we drafted Sam Darnold