Takeaways from NY Jets Mini Camp

Sam Darnold

The New York Jets have completed minicamp and OTA’s are over as well. Now we wait for training camp to begin in late July. Chris Gardella is here with several takeaways.

What can new GM Joe Douglas do to improve the roster before the season starts? Cornerback anyone? The coaches mentioned Jordan Jenkins as a stand out, who else had a great camp?

Watch and let us know what you think in our NY Jets forum.

The post Takeaways from NY Jets Mini Camp appeared first on JetNation.com (NY Jets Blog & Forum).

Jetnationcom?d=yIl2AUoC8zA Jetnationcom?d=qj6IDK7rITs
vS4VDWHSTUY

Click here to read the full story...

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

OMG - this love of, and faith in, Gase is entirely unwarranted, unearned and ridiculous.

There's certainly reason to be positive about the direction of the franchise but the love affair with Gase is absurd.  He's being treated as if he wasn't just fired from the lowly Dolphins - and that he didn't put up bottom 5 defenses his entire three years as HC.

Love the direction of the team but let's not pretend like we just hired Vince Lombardi.

Really based on what?  Your total trash campaign? 

Heres an exercise for you since this is your new whine.  Look up all the articles about Gase being fired and ask yourself why they all start off the same way, with the author shocked and surprised.  

Another thread, another hatchet job by FidelioJet

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Heres an excessive for you since this is your new whine.  Look upmall the articles about Gase being fired and ask yourself why they all start off the same way, with the author shocked and surprised.  

And another happy happy joy joy bent by jet nut.  Mac was good, bowels was good, lee was good, hackenburg was good.

At least the hatchet people are actually right most of the time.

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

Heres an excessive for you since this is your new whine.  Look upmall the articles about Gase being fired and ask yourself why they all start off the same way, with the author shocked and surprised.  

calm down cheri oteri GIF

• Haha 4

4 hours ago, Beerfish said:

And another happy happy joy joy bent by jet nut.  Mac was good, bowels was good, lee was good, hackenburg was good.

At least the hatchet people are actually right most of the time.

Happy, happy joy?  Is that bad?  I know it's not ever found in your posts but you're the voice of doom.  Im not.  Cool 

9 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

Bill Belichick Cleveland

• WTF? 1

8 hours ago, Peace Frog said:

You understand Gase wasn’t “fired” by Miami, right?

He wanted out and sh*t on the owner so there was no way he could be retained. 

Gase knew he’d get another gig at a better spot and forced his way out. 

He wasn’t fired by the lowly Dolphins. 

he told the owner that he did not know sh*t about football.  mIami is a sh*tshow for management

• Haha 1

45 minutes ago, jack48 said:

he told the owner that he did not know sh*t about football.  mIami is a sh*tshow for management

Exactly, and this is why Gase started the Mutiny of Macc. He was determined to surround himself with sound football people with his same vision. I love the fact he learned a lot in Miami & had a clear and concise vision of what he wanted here to be successful. Guy isn't wishy washy.

• Sympathy 1

4 hours ago, Jetster said:

Exactly, and this is why Gase started the Mutiny of Macc. He was determined to surround himself with sound football people with his same vision. I love the fact he learned a lot in Miami & had a clear and concise vision of what he wanted here to be successful. Guy isn't wishy washy.

he is looking out for his job.  he realized early on that Macc was the poison pill that would probably get him fired.  why shouldn't he do what he thinks it takes to win.  I never had the impression that Macc had a burning desire to win.  To drink coffee, maybe.  Not to win

• Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, Maxman said:

Chris Gardella is back, thanks Chris (@Jack Straw).

This was a good one. IMO a bit smoother than the vid that preceded it.  I also like the pod cast. I watch/listen when I'm at the gym. the most recent pod cast with the Gators reporter was pretty solid. Good stuff. I'm hoping to see a greater audience for the shows on Youtube. They are much stronger than most of the other Jets podcasts out there at the moment. 

I like hearing what the players are working on during the offseason even if the results don't translate on the field.  I am/was no fan of Skrine but his hot yoga kept him in incredible shape and flexible. still sucked but hey, it all starts with effort.  

17 hours ago, Maxman said:

Special teams is what gives him a good shot.

There are other guys on the roster with similar speed and return ability who can actually catch a punt.  This management did not overdraft him and therefore they have no loyalty to him.  I think Cannon's out of luck with four better RBs ahead of him.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

24 minutes ago, Bruce Harper said:

There are other guys on the roster with similar speed and return ability who can actually catch a punt.  This management did not overdraft him and therefore they have no loyalty to him.  I think Cannon's out of luck with four better RBs ahead of him.

Who has his speed who fits this?

17 hours ago, T0mShane said:

This guy does a good job with these things. One minor complaint is that the camera is too close to the guy and it gives me anxiety as a viewer. Good voice, though, and good, concise content. 

Camera is too close and he has ants in his pants. Other then that it’s great

3 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

Who has his speed who fits this?

Dortch and the kid from BC are both in the same ballpark, if I recall correctly.  And Dortch plays faster on film.

Edit:  I didn't trust my memory so I looked at it.  Dortch is a reported 4.49 at his pro day to Cannon's reported 4.4 but as I mentioned, Dortch is extremely shifty, has good hands and plays very fast.   Jeff Smith's reported 4.34 is faster than Cannon's. 

Maybe I overstated it but if he is going to make the team as a returner he is going to have to catch the ball and a guy who can return punts in addition to kickoffs brings more versatility to the team.  When we drafted Cannon I wasn't happy to find that he hadn't returned punts in college.  Not a good sign.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

20 hours ago, T0mShane said:

This guy does a good job with these things. One minor complaint is that the camera is too close to the guy and it gives me anxiety as a viewer. Good voice, though, and good, concise content. 

You're ascared of YouTube now? Whadda snowflake

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Bruce Harper said:

ST play is not jsut about returning.  He was effective as an ST gunner last season.  Second on the team with 9 ST tackles.  Brant Boyer also had good things to say about Cannon last week in his presser.  I agree that he is still a longshot, but until listening to Boyer last week, I assumed he had no shot.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

15 hours ago, Peace Frog said:

You understand Gase wasn’t “fired” by Miami, right?

He wanted out and sh*t on the owner so there was no way he could be retained. 

Gase knew he’d get another gig at a better spot and forced his way out. 

He wasn’t fired by the lowly Dolphins. 

He was absolutely fired.  There are literally dozens of articles stating that exact fact.  You can find them with a simple Google search....

In fact there's one - where Gase personally states the reason he was fired was because "We didn't win enough games." 

https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/nfl/miami-dolphins/article226881244.html

• Upvote 1

22 hours ago, LIJetsFan said:

2nd time I heard Cannon isn't long for this roster.  

22 hours ago, flgreen said:

Fortunately the Jets ST's coach disagrees 

21 hours ago, Maxman said:

Special teams is what gives him a good shot.

It doesn't hurt his chances that Gase/Douglas haven't added any RB's of significance just yet.  But that could change quickly. 

7 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

He was absolutely fired.  There are literally dozens of articles stating that exact fact.  You can find them with a simple Google search....

In fact there's one - where Gase personally states the reason he was fired was because "We didn't win enough games." 

https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/nfl/miami-dolphins/article226881244.html

Ok maybe you missed the nuance. 

Yes he was “fired” but he fired himself. 

He wanted out and basically took a sh*t on the owners desk and forced his hand. 

• Upvote 1