Phil Savage, Chad Alexander Expected to join Jets staff

Lith

22 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Maybe you should check his record in Cleveland.  Joe Thomas, D'Qwell Jackson and a bunch of stiffs.  I think Brodney Pool might crack his top 5 over 4 drafts.  Ended up with nothing but 4ths in 2008 after trading up for Brady Quinn and for some DTs like Shaun Rogers.  I think Ahtyba Rubin is the only guy to come out of that draft that ever started a game, or made it out of his 1st season.  

He did plenty of scout work, including for Roseman in Philadelphia, but before Douglas got there.

We are aren't asking him to be a GM.  You can be a sound football mind and be bad at making executive decisions.  If Douglas trust him, I imagine he has a set position in mind that will maximize his strengths.

• Upvote 1

57 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

None of us have any idea who’s good at this sh*t or not. Every hire we make the guy is supposedly some guru at a thing and he turns out to be Simple Jack. 

The “ JETS hit pay dirt with Bowles and MacCagnon” went to 20 pages of fans in a circle jerk.  maybe this will be more moderate. ?

• Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

Excellent hire. He provides experience having been a GM before. Even though he failed in that role, that’s valuable experience. 

Plus he has to be ultra connected. When you run the senior bowl, you pretty much get to know every college coach, every GM and almost every scout. That’s valuable to have in your front office. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

19 minutes ago, GreenFish said:

Excellent hire. He provides experience having been a GM before. Even though he failed in that role, that’s valuable experience. 

Plus he has to be ultra connected. When you run the senior bowl, you pretty much get to know every college coach, every GM and almost every scout. That’s valuable to have in your front office. 

Priceless list on his speed dial. After running the Senior Bowl he just has to be fully networked and it would not be unreasonable to assume he will have a continuous flow of inside info to draw upon.

• Upvote 2

22 minutes ago, New York Mick said:

Am I the only one that’s never heard of any of these guys. 

For someone that follows the draft I'm not sure how you've never heard of Phil Savage.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Untouchable said:

He played a big part in scouting and drafting guys like Ray Lewis, Ed Reed, Jonathan Ogden, Peter Boulware, etc.

He was Ozzie Newsome’s original right hand man when guys like Eric DeCosta and Joe Douglas were just low-level area scouts in Baltimore.

I wouldn’t want him as the GM, but as Senior Director of College Scouting or VP of Player Personnel...absolutely.

You have no idea what kind of part he played in anything. Right now all we know is that the Johnsons hired him and they suck at hiring people. 

1 minute ago, RutgersJetFan said:

You have no idea what kind of part he played in anything. Right now all we know is that the Johnsons hired him and they suck at hiring people. 

Woody sucks at hiring people......so far Chris has been pretty damn good.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, jetsons said:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001034097/article/jets-expected-to-add-phil-savage-to-new-front-office

Jets expected to add Phil Savage to new front office

Print
  • 0ap1000000236552.jpg
  • By Kevin Patra
  • Around the NFL Writer
  • Published: June 18, 2019 at 02:54 p.m.
  • Updated: June 18, 2019 at 03:01 p.m.

Phil Savage is back in an NFL front office.

NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport reports the former Cleveland Browns GM is expected to join the New York Jets personnel staff, per sources informed of the decision. Savage's role is not yet clear, but barring a snag, an announcement is expected this week, per Rapoport.

It's a reunion for Savage and new Jets GM Joe Douglas. The duo worked together in Baltimore, from 2000 when Douglas joined the Ravens' staff as a scout until 2005 when Savage left for the Browns GM job. This time around, it's Douglas in charge.

After his stint as the Browns GM and three years with the Philadelphia Eagles, Savage worked as the Senior Bowl Executive Director from 2012-2018, where he helped select the prospects and run the event, a vital part of the pre-draft process.

Savage left the Senior Bowl last year for a chance to be the GM of the Arizona Hotshots of the Alliance of American Football, which folded before the end of its first season.

The hire of Savage marks a key addition for Douglas as he surrounds himself with familiar faces that can bolster the Jets' scouting department.

This is akin to replacing McDonalds mystery meat with Filet Mignon :)

Love what we are doing

• Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Sure, unless you were a part of the front office, odds are you don’t fully know what his role was there. Or Joe Douglas’ role in Baltimore/Chicago/Philly or literally any other front office executive before landing a GM gig.

But Savage still has a pretty impressive resume overall, discounting his 2nd go around in Cleveland. And he’s been the coordinator of the senior bowl for the last 6 years and has done a great job at it.

I don’t see how this is some sort of awful hire or something. And supposedly he’s being hired in strictly an advisory role.

On the coaching side of things, there are countless examples of coordinators who were great in their role and then sucked big, fat hairy a$$hole when they got a HC job. I would assume the same holds true for front office executives. And Savage is probably one of them.

Just now, Untouchable said:

Sure, unless you were a part of the front office, odds are you don’t fully know what his role was there. Or Joe Douglas’ role in Baltimore/Chicago/Philly or literally any other front office executive before landing a GM gig.

But Savage still has a pretty impressive resume overall, discounting his 2nd go around in Cleveland. And he’s been the coordinator of the senior bowl for the last 6 years and has done a great job at it.

I don’t see how this some sort of awful hire or something. And supposedly he’s being hired in strictly an advisory role.

On the coaching side of things, there are countless examples of coordinators who were great in their role and then sucked big, fat hairy a$$hole when they got a HC job. I would assume the same holds true for front office executives. And Savage is probably one of them.

It’s not an awful hire. It’s not a great hire. It’s just a hire. But it’s safe to say the Jets have a track record of awful hires for about 20 years now, so it’s perfectly reasonable to default to skepticism. It’s allowed.

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

I gotta ask...  Was there anything the Jets did since January that you saw as a good move?

1 minute ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Firing Macaggnan. Though they cocked that up too. And Crowder seems like a fun little fella to watch I guess.

Well thats a start!

I honestly thought you were manic/depressive, or a serial killer they way youve been posting. LMAO

It is a positive for Douglas to want to have a senior consultant who has done the job as a GM before and has that experience to lean on.  Regardless of Savage's decisions as GM, it is the experience of the process, the connections with other FOs and the link to the senior bowl/prior experiences that will be invaluable for Douglas to consult with.  Savage is also someone he is comfortable with which also helps.  

4 minutes ago, New York Mick said:

I couldn’t name anyone but McShay, Kiper and Mayock. I really don’t pay attention to the people’s names. 

Like I said earlier for someone that follows the draft you should know who Savage is. He ran the SB for 6 years and brought in some kids from schools most people have never heard of. He is definitely dialed in to the upcoming college prospects.

1 minute ago, RobR said:

Like I said earlier for someone that follows the draft you should know who Savage is. He ran the SB for 6 years and brought in some kids from schools most people have never heard of. He is definitely dialed in to the upcoming college prospects.

Sounds like a good hire. 

40 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

It’s not an awful hire. It’s not a great hire. It’s just a hire. But it’s safe to say the Jets have a track record of awful hires for about 20 years now, so it’s perfectly reasonable to default to skepticism. It’s allowed.

Im not gonna defend Savage's picks as Browns GM, that franchise has ruined multiple front office people and countless coaches with ownership meddling, including Belichek.  

In my opinion what Savage brings is an awesome college network having run the senior bowl.  You need to get good, inside information when you are looking at these kids.  You can be the greatest scout in the world, but if you dont know a kid has a drug or gambling problem behind the scenes you will make mistakes.

I dont know much about Phil Savage as a hire but im guessing hes developed good relationships in college which should help the overall scouting process.

• Upvote 1