Ty Montgomery is happy so far

slats

Also, I don't remember the Jets hiring Jim Bob Cooter as RBs coach. 

Ty Montgomery hoping to be with the Jets a long time

Posted by Charean Williams on June 18, 2019, 10:14 PM EDT
gettyimages-873295352-e1560910445682.jpg
Getty Images

Things didn’t end well for running back Ty Montgomery in Green Bay last season. He’s hoping for a new beginning with the Jets this season, the beginning of what he hopes is a long relationship.

“I’m trying not to get ahead of myself, but I’m excitedfor what lies ahead,” Montgomery said, via Ethan Greenberg of the team website. “I love being on this team. I love the guys on the team. We have a lot of fun every day, talking a lot of noise. Real, real competitive atmosphere, so it’s a lot of fun.”

Montgomery fumbled on a kickoff return he took out of the end zone late in the fourth quarter against the Rams, costing the Packers a chance for a comeback. It was Montgomery’s final game with the Packers, who traded him to the Ravens.

But he had only 25 touches for 148 yards in six games in Baltimore.

Montgomery signed with the Jets in free agency and is getting a fresh start in Adam Gase’s offense.

“You have to be smart,” Montgomery said. “You have to be able to catch the ball, and you have to be able to run the ball. You can’t have an imbalance and be at running back in this offense. It’s actually pretty cool; it’s challenging. I think it suits my abilities, and I’m loving it.”

Montgomery took most of the first-team reps in the offseason program with Le'Veon Belltraining in Florida. It’s his third offense in a matter of months.

Running backs coach Jim Bob Cooter called Montgomery a “pro . . . [who] knows how to learn things.”

“I’m trying to win the day,” Montgomery said. “It’s something I learned in college — win the rep, win the down, win the practice, win the day. It’s one thing at a time every day, enjoy each moment. That’s just what I’m expecting from myself, just to enjoy each moment as long as I’m here and hopefully I can be here for a long time.”

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 2

2 minutes ago, slats said:

I’m trying not to get ahead of myself, but I’m excitedfor what lies ahead,” Montgomery said, via Ethan Greenberg of the team website. “I love being on this team. I love the guys on the team. We have a lot of fun every day, talking a lot of noise. Real, real competitive atmosphere, so it’s a lot of fun.”

You see a lot of this in the Gase video where he’s mic’d up. Looks like a lot of fun out there and those guys are playing free and loose. There’s just a different vibe about this team. Clearly we won’t know how much that vibe matters until it starts winning us games or not but I feel good right now..and that’s more than i’ve been able to say about this franchise in quite awhile.

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

59 minutes ago, DoubleDown said:

Interesting comments from someone who has been with two other top notch organizations in his career.

We'll see how things go, but I'm hoping to see a rejuvenated team that puts the "play not to lose" attitude behind them.

Don’t think the Packers were much of a “top organization” in recent years as people think. Considering the discord in the locker room between the Star QB and then Head Coach...they may have quietly been just as a mess as we were.

• Upvote 4

5 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

Don’t think the Packers were much of a “top organization” in recent years as people think. Considering the discord in the locker room between the Star QB and then Head Coach...they may have quietly been just as a mess as we were.

It sounds crazy coming from a Jets fan, but only going to and winning 1 Super Bowl with Aaron Rodgers is not exactly a great accomplishment. Mark Sanchez almost made it to 2....

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

Small recap on Gases hires of coaches

Jets hired former Lions OC Jim Bob Cooter as RBs coach.

Cooter spent his previous four years as Detroit's offensive coordinator. He's familiar with Adam Gase from their time together as assistants in Denver under head coach John Fox. In addition to Cooter, the Jets also hired Andre Carter as DL coach, Bo Hardegree as an offensive assistant, Joe Vitt as senior assistant/OLBs coach and Blake Williams as a defensive assistant. Dowell Loggains will serve as offensive coordinator, though play-calling duties will likely fall to Gase.

• Upvote 1

21 hours ago, slats said:

“You have to be able to catch the ball, and you have to be able to run the ball. You can’t have an imbalance and be at running back in this offense."

That's my takeaway from this. He's happy, he's here to prove himself and earn a longer deal, yadda, yadda. But the fact that there doesn't appear to be a need for a true Powerback is interesting. Remember back in the Rex days you'd have more of an even split, it's like here's Chris Ivory who's not great at catching but can get those Yards after contact, and here's Powell who is more likely to make a grab than his counterpart. They're a tandem who did different things.

Now it's be a RB that can play WR or GTFO. (more or less) Given he's always bounced between the two I can see Ty earning that new contract here backing up Bell.

On 6/18/2019 at 11:15 PM, slats said:

Getty Images

“I love being on this team. I love the guys on the team. We have a lot of fun every day, talking a lot of noise. Real, real competitive atmosphere, so it’s a lot of fun.”

The good news is he is clearly the best juggler we currently have on our roster.  Maybe that's why he likes it here so much. Don't just blindly believe everything you read.  There is always more to the story man. ;-) 

https://www.newyorkjets.com/video/how-good-are-the-jets-at-juggling

8 minutes ago, Fantasy Island said:

Jim Bob Cooter was a back up QB at UT.  Of course he will be the RB coach.   

You would hope that a guy who spent all that time as a successful OC would understand every position.  Mark Carrier was a pro bowl safety and defensive back coach with the Ravens.  Rex took him to the Jets as defensive line coach in 2010 and 2011.  I'd say he probably did a good job.

The position you play is based mostly on size/speed, not mental acuity or ability to see/explain what should be done at a position.  The best generally play QB because it is most important, so there is no reason to think he can't coach RBs.  

On the other hand, he probably got the job because of his relationship with Manning.  He is from UT, was an offensive assistant in Indy from 2009-2011, and was hired to Gase's staff in Denver in 2013 based on Manning's recommendation.  FWIW, Gase was a WR coach, then QB coach before becoming OC.   Who knows what he played?  By the time he got to college he was coaching, not playing. 

• Upvote 2

14 hours ago, Tony MaC said:

That's my takeaway from this. He's happy, he's here to prove himself and earn a longer deal, yadda, yadda. But the fact that there doesn't appear to be a need for a true Powerback is interesting. Remember back in the Rex days you'd have more of an even split, it's like here's Chris Ivory who's not great at catching but can get those Yards after contact, and here's Powell who is more likely to make a grab than his counterpart. They're a tandem who did different things.

Now it's be a RB that can play WR or GTFO. (more or less) Given he's always bounced between the two I can see Ty earning that new contract here backing up Bell.

It should be fun to have an offensive-minded head coach for the first time in forever. Defensive guys love the ground & pound on offense, no matter what they decide to call it. Nothing helps a defense's stats like an offense that dominates the clock. 

The powerback here might be Wesco. I expect him and his #47 to be lined up at FB when they want one, and he could see a few carries in that role, too. But none of the RBs on the roster come close to that, you're right. 

Montgomery is a great back to spell Bell for a few plays here and there with his similar, if lesser, skill set. The other thing he brings is the ability to play WR. Burnett could be in a battle with him to be the fourth WR. You look at the WR depth chart, after the top three guys Burnett is the only one who isn't there almost exclusively for special teams. 

• Upvote 4

4 hours ago, slats said:

Montgomery is a great back to spell Bell for a few plays here and there with his similar, if lesser, skill set. The other thing he brings is the ability to play WR. Burnett could be in a battle with him to be the fourth WR. You look at the WR depth chart, after the top three guys Burnett is the only one who isn't there almost exclusively for special teams. 

I think you have that backwards.   Burnett is the only one after the first two who is there exclusively for offense.  He will probably have to be a hell of a lot better at WR to make it.

9 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

I think you have that backwards.   Burnett is the only one after the first two who is there exclusively tor offense.  He will probably have to be a hell of a lot better at WR to make it.

I think I have it right. The rest of those guys are pretty much WRs in name only, bringing little if anything on offense. Doesn't mean that Burnett isn't going to have to prove himself, though. I'd expect the Jets to be looking at WR in the upcoming mini-draft, too. It's a thin position. As I said, I think Montgomery could be the default #4. 

On 6/18/2019 at 10:24 PM, JoJoTownsell1 said:

It sounds crazy coming from a Jets fan, but only going to and winning 1 Super Bowl with Aaron Rodgers is not exactly a great accomplishment. Mark Sanchez almost made it to 2....

It's not crazy. McCarthy was a bottom 5 coach in the NFL that refused to adapt or change.

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, Tony MaC said:

Remember back in the Rex days you'd have more of an even split, it's like here's Chris Ivory who's not great at catching but can get those Yards after contact, and here's Powell who is more likely to make a grab than his counterpart. They're a tandem who did different things.

We're not actually complaining that we might not be the Rex Ryan offense that dominated the NFL are we?

LOL

9 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

We're not actually complaining that we might not be the Rex Ryan offense that dominated the NFL are we?

LOL

Nope not complaining, not really arguing for or against. Just an observation! 

13 hours ago, slats said:

It should be fun to have an offensive-minded head coach for the first time in forever. Defensive guys love the ground & pound on offense, no matter what they decide to call it. Nothing helps a defense's stats like an offense that dominates the clock. 

The powerback here might be Wesco. I expect him and his #47 to be lined up at FB when they want one, and he could see a few carries in that role, too. But none of the RBs on the roster come close to that, you're right. 

And these thoughts somehow all make me wonder about what the pass to run ratio will be and how that correlates with how the roster spots will wind up distributed.

Last year Miami had a middle of the pack pass to run, erring towards pass (like most of the league). The year before they topped the list in terms of passing more than running. (with Cutler... weird.) Having an offense so ripe with pass catching RB's is helpful in a lot of ways, but I do worry there may not be a guy who you can pound the rock with when it's time to run out the clock and such. 

First quarter and on a first or second drive there's no reason not to have Bell doing his thing on the ground good an often. But say it's the fourth quarter the Jets are up a score or two and it's very obvious that the right thing to is run up the gut and make the other guys burn a TO or something. In that scenario it might be a bit unwise to use either Bell or Ty, especially if they are more or less the WR4 and 5. There's gotta be a guy who can be used for the garbage time, or if necessary as the new RB 2. That's probably where McGuire comes in, or else some shmuck off the waiver wire/UFA.

I'll be very curious to see how the depth chart shakes out at the offensive weapons. I expect 6 "WRs", 4 "RBs" and 3 "TE" with maybe  just 2 QB's and 9 O-lineman. 

13 minutes ago, Tony MaC said:

Nope not complaining, not really arguing for or against. Just an observation! 

And these thoughts somehow all make me wonder about what the pass to run ratio will be and how that correlates with how the roster spots will wind up distributed.

Last year Miami had a middle of the pack pass to run, erring towards pass (like most of the league). The year before they topped the list in terms of passing more than running. (with Cutler... weird.) Having an offense so ripe with pass catching RB's is helpful in a lot of ways, but I do worry there may not be a guy who you can pound the rock with when it's time to run out the clock and such. 

First quarter and on a first or second drive there's no reason not to have Bell doing his thing on the ground good an often. But say it's the fourth quarter the Jets are up a score or two and it's very obvious that the right thing to is run up the gut and make the other guys burn a TO or something. In that scenario it might be a bit unwise to use either Bell or Ty, especially if they are more or less the WR4 and 5. There's gotta be a guy who can be used for the garbage time, or if necessary as the new RB 2. That's probably where McGuire comes in, or else some shmuck off the waiver wire/UFA.

I'll be very curious to see how the depth chart shakes out at the offensive weapons. I expect 6 "WRs", 4 "RBs" and 3 "TE" with maybe  just 2 QB's and 9 O-lineman. 

Or any short yardage or goalline situation, you would also need a banger. 

8 hours ago, Tony MaC said:

I like the optimism of the Jets being up in football games, but one thing I hope Gase brings here is an end the sitting on a lead mentality this organization has had for decades. If they're up a score or two, there's no reason not to try to go up by two scores or three. The short passing game can also run the clock as long as you get the completion and the receiver stays in bounds. And I also see no reason not to have Bell carrying the ball in a one or two score game. But the goal should be more scoring. Put your foot on their throat and don't let up. 

Philosophically, I prefer a RB by committee, but by giving Bell $11M/year, they're obviously making him the bell-cow. No reason to pull a healthy Bell unless the Jets have such a lead that he'd be sitting next to Sam on the bench laughing at Davis Webb. 

Your depth chart numbers are probably about right, with 2-4 of the ten WRs and RBs primarily special teamers. The RBs could be Bell, Montgomery, and any two of the other three, and then those guys would sweat out the mini-draft. If Powell is healthy and full speed, that doesn't bode well for McGuire with Cannon being an important part of the specials. 

8 hours ago, roscoeword said:

Or any short yardage or goalline situation, you would also need a banger. 

QB sneak, Darnold hits the fade, Bell jumps the pile, etc...  and I really wanna see Wesco refrigerator himself over the goal line once or twice this year, too. 

• Upvote 1

On 6/20/2019 at 11:42 AM, slats said:

It has been a long time since we had a HC from the offensive side of the ball.  Made me think, it's really been since Kotite?  Wow.

And does he even count, Walton then?