NFL Trade Rumors: Why Jets could be sneaky bidder for Texan's Jadeveon Clowney

17 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

Huh?

Clowney has been playing OLB for the last few seasons.

And you think that Clowney is injury prone...but J.J. Watt isn’t?

The Jets, barring major injury to someone like Darnold, aren’t going to be picking in the Top 10 next year. Good luck finding a passrusher who can equal Clowney’s production in the latter half of the 1st round, much less after that.  

The Jets will be taking a CB in the first round next year!!! They need it because their secondary will be picked apart by QBs with good a offense. They can search for a pass rushing OLB in the second round. They don't need a Clowney clone with their future picks. Clowney will cost a lot of money and picks and the Jets can't afford him. 

• Thumb Down 1

21 minutes ago, AL047 said:

The Jets will be taking a CB in the first round next year!!! They need it because their secondary will be picked apart by QBs with good a offense. They can search for a pass rushing OLB in the second round. They don't need a Clowney clone with their future picks. Clowney will cost a lot of money and picks and the Jets can't afford him. 

And what’s the best way to mask the deficiencies of a subpar CB group?

Being able to pressure the QB.

So going by your logic, we’re taking a corner in the 1st next year and then a passrusher in the 2nd round.  Well, what the hell are the odds of us landing a passrusher as good or better than Clowney in the 2nd round next year? Pretty damn slim to say the least.

So what does it come down to? Money?

Like I previously stated, NOW is the time to pay big money to talented players who can make major contributions while we still have Darnold on a cheap deal.

The Jets best window at a Lombardi trophy is going to be over the next 3 years. Make the moves while you can.

P.S.

If we’re going CB and OLB in the first 2 rounds next year...what the hell are we doing about the OL and WR positions? Every single starter along the OL is subject to either FA or retirement over the next 2 years. I’d be a helluva lot more worried about that.

• Upvote 4

Jets are probably not one piece away from a championship. That’s why I think Clowny is too expensive especially since he has trouble staying on the field. He’s not as good as Khalil Mack but would probably cost as much in material and would want the same kind of money. If he won’t play for Houston this year without a new deal why would he do it for the Jets?

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, docdhc said:

Jets are probably not one piece away from a championship. That’s why I think Clowny is too expensive especially since he has trouble staying on the field. He’s not as good as Khalil Mack but would probably cost as much in material and would want the same kind of money. If he won’t play for Houston this year without a new deal why would he do it for the Jets?

I don’t buy that.

True, Clowney isn’t as good as Mack. But he sure as hell isn’t going to come at a cost of two 1st round picks and the Bears sure as hell weren’t one player away from a championship coming off a 5-11 season. But it still helped them immensely, in 2018 as well as moving into the future.

• Post of the Week 1

14 minutes ago, docdhc said:

Pretty important piece

As much as I love QW I’d rather have Khalil Mack

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

I don’t buy that.

True, Clowney isn’t as good as Mack. But he sure as hell isn’t going to come at a cost of two 1st round picks and the Bears sure as hell weren’t one player away from a championship coming off a 5-11 season. But it still helped them immensely, in 2018 as well as moving into the future.

Truth.  A deal for less than giving up a first rounder should be strongly considered.  My only concern is with Clowney's knee, is he fully healthy off of micro-fracture surgery?  Last year would indicate he was, and he's now 2 years removed.

A 3rd round pick in 2020, and a 4th or 5th in 2021 if we extend him.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Gastineau Lives said:

14 yrs × 7 rounds = we should have 98 pass rushers by now

Just because our inept former GMs suck at drafting doesn’t mean we shouldn’t try to get an actual edge rusher

Should we have passed on Sam because we drafted Suckchez and Hackentard?

51 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

And what’s the best way to mask the deficiencies of a subpar CB group?

Being able to pressure the QB.

So going by your logic, we’re taking a corner in the 1st next year and then a passrusher in the 2nd round.  Well, what the hell are the odds of us landing a passrusher as good or better than Clowney in the 2nd round next year? Pretty damn slim to say the least.

So what does it come down to? Money?

Like I previously stated, NOW is the time to pay big money to talented players who can make major contributions while we still have Darnold on a cheap deal.

The Jets best window at a Lombardi trophy is going to be over the next 3 years. Make the moves while you can.

P.S.

If we’re going CB and OLB in the first 2 rounds next year...what the hell are we doing about the OL and WR positions? Every single starter along the OL is subject to either FA or retirement over the next 2 years. I’d be a helluva lot more worried about that.

Ehh why... cause of Darnolds contract? In 3 years Darnold will be 25... he’s got a 10-15 year window after that. 

The new CBA is coming, the cap grows every year and will grow even more once the gambling money starts pouring in. 

The whole rookie contract thing is overstated. It amounts to one extra 10m per year FA that you can sign. We just lost one of those for the year. Does losing Williamson doom our season?

Clowney is an overrated overhyped pass rusher that doesn’t have the production to match. Plus he’s injury prone.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

NFL trade rumors: Why Jets could be sneaky bidder for Texans’ Jadeveon Clowney

Updated 10:10 AM; Today 10:00 AM
Texans DE/OLB Jadeveon Clowney could be a great trade fit for the Jets.

Lori M. Nichols | NJ Advance Media for NJ.com

Texans DE/OLB Jadeveon Clowney could be a great trade fit for the Jets.

0 shares

By Joe Giglio | NJ Advance Media for NJ.com

Go get creative. Go get Jadaveon Clowney.

As the Jets get set for a year brimming with optimism in New York, reality will soon set in: Adam Gase and Sam Darnold will be successful and points will be scored, but wins won’t commence unless the defense is at least decent.

Right now, it’s hard to imagine the latter part of that equation coming to fruition. Avery Williamson is gone for the year, cornerback play is suspect and outside pass rush was largely ignored during the offseason.

It won’t be easy to replace Williamson and good corners don’t grow on trees, but trading for Clowney could be the great elixir to uplift this Jets defense.

Think it’s crazy? Maybe it is. But unless a team like the New England Patriots or Eagles steps up to get a deal done, Clowney is just lingering in Houston. The Jets could swoop in at anytime to make a blockbuster if general manager Joe Douglas wants to be creative.

Here’s an idea thrown out by ESPN’s Rich Cimini.

The most intriguing aspect of a potential Clowney trade is the Jets could use him for a year, then flip him with a tag-and-trade next March, perhaps recouping what they surrendered in the original trade. This would make a trade worth considering if it doesn’t include their 2020 first-round pick (and if they’re willing to gamble with Williams and free agency), but the whole thing seems unrealistic unless Houston holds a fire sale.

A Clowney rental would be fascinating, and give the Jets another impact star to make a run with in 2019.

imo this team is very hard to gage at the moment.  they have a lot of new faces and some old players that need to step up. 

sure they need a guy who can come off the edge but even there clowney hasn't put up great numbers and he's playing with jj watt.  obviously clowney is better than any edge the jets currently have on the roster but he's not also direct replacement for williamson.   and this is his contract year so he will probably be looking for a big payday.

1 hour ago, nico002 said:

Ehh why... cause of Darnolds contract? In 3 years Darnold will be 25... he’s got a 10-15 year window after that. 

The new CBA is coming, the cap grows every year and will grow even more once the gambling money starts pouring in. 

The whole rookie contract thing is overstated. It amounts to one extra 10m per year FA that you can sign. We just lost one of those for the year. Does losing Williamson doom our season?

Clowney is an overrated overhyped pass rusher that doesn’t have the production to match. Plus he’s injury prone.

Yes, in 3 years Darnold will be 25...and hopefully by then we’ll be paying him on average of $40+ million a year until the day he decides to retire. Preferably sometime in his early 40’s...

Yes, I know the league wide salary cap is expected to go nowhere but up for the foreseeable future...but that’s still a damn big (worthwhile) commitment that is going to severely hinder your ability to just go out and throw cash around in FA.

Hopefully Joe Douglas is all he’s been cracked up to be as a scout and talent evaluator. Because we’re sure as sh*t going to need it. 

13 minutes ago, Snell41 said:

If I understand correctly, Clowney refuses to sign his tag for HOU because he wants a long term deal. In order for him to be traded he’d have to sign his tag. So why would he do that unless the team trading for him guarantees him a long term deal? Do we really want to do that?

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

HAVE YOU SEEN OUR NEW UNIS?!!!

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Untouchable said:

I don’t buy that.

You’re right it wouldn’t take 2 first rounders to get him. I just don’t think you can rely on him to stay on the field and I think he would hold out on the Jets just like he’s doing to the Texans. You couldn’t rent him for a prove it deal, he would want a Mack type long term deal.  I would pass. We are going to have to spend big on Adams and Darnold in another 2 years or so. 

3 hours ago, docdhc said:

I'm not sure this is true.  The NFL is funny like that - teams get good very fast.

1. if Darnold takes as big as a leap as it seems he has -
  2. Robby looks like he can be a real #1,
  3. Bell is in his old form,
  4. Montgomery is as good as he's looked....
  5. our new Center and Guard play are major upgrades
  6. with Adams continuing to get better
  7. Mosley playing like he did in Balt
  8. Q. Williams making an impact.

Now, I'm not saying all of those things will happen but this is a very different team and one that, if the pieces fall together, can absolutely compete for a championship. 

Adding a legitimate pass rusher can be the thing that puts them over the top.

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, Untouchable said:

I’d do it

The Jets have 2-3 more years until they’re going to have to drop around $200 million on Darnold.

Now is the time to bring in big ticket players and make a strong push.

Also, Joe Douglas has spent his entire career around guys like Terrell Suggs, Peter Boulware, Michael Bennett, Brandon Graham, Chris Long, etc.

He knows the value of guys who can get after the QB. You can’t tell me he’s satisfied with the likes of Jordan Jenkins, Brandon Copeland and Frankie Luvu.

Clowney isn’t Khalil Mack but he’s a damn good player.

9 sacks man.  Clowny is fools gold. If they take Mclendon for him or something like that then fine. no draft picks and nothing more than $11 mil per.  Screw him and his injuries. 

5 hours ago, Untouchable said:

The majority of passrushers are inconsistent.

Many of them get sacks in bunches and have 2-3 game stretches where they don’t inspire much awe on the stat sheets.

Let’s be honest, great passrushers pretty much never hit free agency. So unless we hit on someone in the draft or trade for someone like Clowney, we’re going to continue trotting out guys like Copeland and Luvu.

I don’t expect Clowney to ever start posting 16-18 sack campaigns, but he can certainly put pressure on the QB and is strong against the run as well. He can be one of our cornerstone pieces for the next 5 years. That’s good enough for me.

Yeah, I honestly like him when he’s on the field. I just don’t trust his durability enough to give him a 5 year - 110 million dollar contract  

5 hours ago, Gastineau Lives said:

Yes, why acquire a known quantity when you can take bachelor number three in hopes that one day you can give HIM the record setting contract? Im right with you on this.

Or...ya know...actually you might not know...not giving up assets to give a guy a record setting contract...and..this one is going to cause you to sh*t yourself...if you continually draft good players, you don't have to give out record setting contracts every year.