Being a realist

Jetster

This team wasn't ready or sharp because they never played together in preseason & JD had all preseason to fix something every Jet fan was concerned with & that was the kicker. Tell me you weren't concerned thinking about a close game with a guy we just picked up who was cut & we traded for? 

Kalil wasn't ready & he may actually be done. My son is a Panther fan & said the guy was probably finished. What did he play? 1 quarter of preseason? Some bad decisions already from JD & Gase. 

Mosely is out with a groin, sorry to piss in your cheerios but we have 2 high powered offenses coming up the next 2 weeks & everything we're weak at is going to get exposed. Weak pass rush (QW will be out), weak secondary (OBJ, Landry, Higgins, Njoku, Edelman, Gordon, AB) which means we'll be playing from behind & Sam will be in must throw position against 2 defenses (Browns & Pats) that can rush the passer.

I would honestly suggest you find something else to do next Monday & the following Sunday if you don't want to feel any worse than you feel this morning. There is not 1 Jet fan on this sight that would take a bet on the Jets straight up the next 2 weeks. Our Oline is not even as good as the Browns or the Pats & both are better than the Bills. Jets will get the wrath of that azz whooping the Browns took yesterday & the following week with the Pats going to 3-0 to start the season might just make Le'veon Bell wish the Pats had signed him when he shakes ABs hand at the end of game that we won't even be close in. Reality comes down hard the next 2 weeks, 10 years of bad drafting at the most important positions will be on full display. Like a train wreck that you know is coming. Welcome to the 2019 NY Jets season of great anticipation that will evaporate into complete & utter failure in just the 1st 3 games. We needed that game badly yesterday, I said it all preseason we had to have that division game at home. Take a quick peak at our schedule now without our defensive leader. Frightening. 

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

Trading or shelving Darnold is not a bad idea now.  

I do believe that the Jets have finally the front office in place to build a good team.  They will be better than the Bills and Dolphins.  If they did not botch the kicker they still would have won.  But it will be hard to fix the damage done this season. Good news is that a higher draft pick will help fix next season. 

Just don’t get Darnold hurt.  He will play better than yesterday. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 6
  • WTF? 2

The Pats game is an L. I don't  think even the most optimistic  fan expected the Jets to challenge them this season but I'm not as concerned about the Browns. They should have easily handled Tn. and not only lost, they got pounded. The jets didn't  lose in this fashion. It's going to be a close game. I have faith that William's will have his guys ready. Gase is another story. If we don't  run the ball, we will lose. We have to get Bell going g this game. 

• Upvote 3

9 minutes ago, Jetster said:

This team wasn't ready or sharp because they never played together in preseason & JD had all preseason to fix something every Jet fan was concerned with & that was the kicker. Tell me you weren't concerned thinking about a close game with a guy we just picked up who was cut & we traded for? 

Kalil wasn't ready & he may actually be done. My son is a Panther fan & said the guy was probably finished. What did he play? 1 quarter of preseason? Some bad decisions already from JD & Gase. 

Mosely is out with a groin, sorry to piss in your cheerios but we have 2 high powered offenses coming up the next 2 weeks & everything we're weak at is going to get exposed. Weak pass rush (QW will be out), weak secondary (OBJ, Landry, Higgins, Njoku, Edelman, Gordon, AB) which means we'll be playing from behind & Sam will be in must throw position against 2 defenses (Browns & Pats) that can rush the passer.

I would honestly suggest you find something else to do next Monday & the following Sunday if you don't want to feel any worse than you feel this morning. There is not 1 Jet fan on this sight that would take a bet on the Jets straight up the next 2 weeks. Our Oline is not even as good as the Browns or the Pats & both are better than the Bills. Jets will get the wrath of that azz whooping the Browns took yesterday & the following week with the Pats going to 3-0 to start the season might just make Le'veon Bell wish the Pats had signed him when he shakes ABs hand at the end of game that we won't even be close in. Reality comes down hard the next 2 weeks, 10 years of bad drafting at the most important positions will be on full display. Like a train wreck that you know is coming. Welcome to the 2019 NY Jets season of great anticipation that will evaporate into complete & utter failure in just the 1st 3 games. thaWe needed t game badly yesterday, I said it all preseason we had to have that division game at home. Take a quick peak at our schedule now without our defensive leader. Frightening. 

True,True...... and it takes a team to win games, Good/great teams lose all kinds of games. JD will straighten this all out, gonna take time. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, BallinPB said:

I can say confidently that Sam will learn from his mistakes the first game and will be much better.  Will that be enough to beat the two teams in front of us?  Maybe the Browns but definitely not the Patriots.  

I have little doubt Sam will get better - but will Gase learn from his mistakes?  

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

This team will be exposed badly all season long because the team has oline issues and no pass rush or defenders. I can't lay the blame on Gase or Douglas or Gregg Williams, they inherited a problem and tried fixing it. But they need a lot of time, a lot of draft picks and free agent money to fix every problem this team has and needs, 

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 2
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

4 minutes ago, BallinPB said:

Only time will tell.  He's a loser as a head coach.  We all know this.  

2 years max with this guy if he doesn't get us to the playoffs.  I'd actually wouldn't mind firing him after this season if it's a total train wreck.  He's shown and proved nothing in this league.  

This is part of the problem the churn and burn, this won't happen with JD at the Helm. It's going to take 2/3 years to get there most likely.

• Post of the Week 1

Sam was 28/41. 68%. I would take that line all day and twice on every Sunday. And yet, that line only produced 175 yards of passing. How is that even possible? Captain Checkdown? Poor play calling? What?

And then Allen, whom I’ve been told is the crappiest quarterback to ever play the game, goes 24/37, 65%. That includes a 4th quarter where he was 8/10 for 102 yards and a TD. Oh, he also rushed for a TD in the 4th quarter.

Sam’s 4th quarter? 8/13 for 26 yards. WTF?

10 minutes ago, DMan77 said:

I still think 7 wins is achievable... That's about always what this team was going to be. I think that's how realistic we need to think.

Yesterdays game was gut wrenching no matter how else you see the season.  Glass half full just isn't getting it for me today.  

• Upvote 1

Also if we're being realistic our next 5 games are against teams much better than us. I'm not being negative but we need to be prepared for a rough start to the year. Cleveland was a joke, Dorsey showed up and in short time they've got a very talented roster and should win some games this year. We've got to give this new regime time unfortunately

I would honestly suggest you find something else to do next Monday & the following Sunday if you don't want to feel any worse than you feel this morning. There is not 1 Jet fan on this sight that would take a bet on the Jets straight up the next 2 weeks. Our Oline is not even as good as the Browns or the Pats & both are better than the Bills. Jets will get the wrath of that azz whooping the Browns took yesterday & the following week with the Pats going to 3-0 to start the season might just make Le'veon Bell wish the Pats had signed him when he shakes ABs hand at the end of game that we won't even be close in. Reality comes down hard the next 2 weeks, 10 years of bad drafting at the most important positions will be on full display. Like a train wreck that you know is coming. Welcome to the 2019 NY Jets season of great anticipation that will evaporate into complete & utter failure in just the 1st 3 games. We needed that game badly yesterday, I said it all preseason we had to have that division game at home. Take a quick peak at our schedule now without our defensive leader. Frightening. 

I’m not ready for that level of negativity. The flip side is all but the kicker situation is fixable. That game should have been 20-10. Our practice squad cornerback got burned for a TD that should have veneer happed. Also. Bell is ready to run the rock. So run it.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

I’m not ready for that level of negativity. The flip side is all but the kicker situation is fixable. That game should have been 20-10. Our practice squad cornerback got burned for a TD that should have veneer happed. Also. Bell is ready to run the rock. So run it.

11 minutes ago, jetsfansince7 said:

That practice squad CB faces WAY BETTER competition the next 2 weeks & more accurate QBs too. OMG. 

12 minutes ago, AL047 said:

Nothing can be fixed in one year or two!!! This team needs about 4 or 5 years to be fixed with draft picks and free agents. Gase and Williams should just get on their players get the best out of them because they aren't going to the playoffs.

I'm a huge optimist, actually have been called a green glasses homer here, but I'm a football fan 1st & have been watching this game for over 60 years. Yesterday proved to me (I said all along this was a MUST WIN GAME) that we're not even close based on watching the NFL yesterday & the schedule that lies ahead. 

We lost our best defender in Mosely (Groins can be a year long issue), our Line is a mess of mishmash players 3 of them I believe after yesterday are almost at the end of their careers & fading fast, Beachum, Winters & Kalil, and the best one KO is getting long in the tooth. We need a COMPLETE overhaul on our Oline. I expected them to be average, that was a way below average performance yesterday & they were manhandled. 

QW injured his ankle so now Leo plays too many snaps & becomes invisible like last year. 

Bell, KO, Crowder & Mosely were the best players on the field yesterday & not one of them was drafted by the Jets. 3 year project & Brady will be retiring at 45. 

• Upvote 2

I had the Jets going 2 and 4 and then going on a bit of tear to finish around 8 and * one of those wins I picked was yesterday. That should tell you we just dont know. I do know I am not a fan o Gase and his game calling yesterday makes me wonder why the f they hired him. Qb whisper looked completely out of place. He should have challenged for PI on the pass to Robby. He should have called more  screens against the rush they were facing to try to slow them down.

He made plenty of mistakes to lay this all on the kicker is not good. Bad snap caused the missed fg. The missed extra point though is unforgivable.

I have more faith in in our defense getting straight then gases offense

Two fixes that would help things immediately.

1.  Kicker.  Is anyone available?

2.  Sam has to connect with Robby deep!  Make defenses keep a safety back there to help over top.  Robby did his part getting free for what would have been long gains or TDs, but Sam just missed him.  Defenses will not respect that until Sam proves he can consistently hit Robby.

Bell looks even better than I thought he would.  Imagine if defenses need to back a safety out of the box to help with Robby.

On the plus side, our FA signings looked awesome (Bell, Mosely, n Crowder).

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, SR24 said:

This place is insufferable after a loss

yes - someone should study the site for a PHD dissertation in psych.  I don't know why I clicked in today - I knew it would be like this. Good Grief. Time to check out for a week or so for my sanity.

This is going to be a great year.  Yesterday was an unfortunate blip.

1991: Opened 1-3, made the playoffs at 8-8.

1998: Lost the first two games, started 0-2, made the playoffs at 12-4.

2001: Lost first game, started 1-2, made the playoffs at 10-6.

2002: Opened 1-4, won the division and made the playoffs at 9-7.

2009: Opened 4-6, made the playoffs at 9-7.

2010: Lost first game, won the next 5, made the playoffs at 11-5.

Getting off to a crappy start and finishing strong has been a Jets playoff hallmark for the last 30 years.

SAR I

3 hours ago, varjet said:

Trading or shelving Darnold is not a bad idea now.  

Super Troopers Wow GIF by Fox Searchlight

When you get a flat tire on your car how quickly do you go to the dealership to trade in the car?

Darnold had a better QBR yesterday than Mayfield, Allen and every other 2018 drafted QB except Lamar Jackson (who played a Miami team that quit before the game even started).  You're better than this, @varjet.  Go get some smelling salts and then come back to start posting clearly again.