Leonard Williams drawing interest from other teams per Schefter

On ‎10‎/‎13‎/‎2019 at 11:24 AM, Warfish said:

In before "But he'll be the next John Abraham/James Farrior!"

Abraham was an established star and Farrior had 100 tackles with the Jets before their trades.  Leo is nothing compared to either of them.  I sure hope this is an attempt at sarcasm :)

• Haha 1

Would you do Leo for Trent Williams and a late round pick?
We would keep the ratio of Williamses to other names. Give him #92 and boom, Bob’s your uncle. 

Hahaha. That’s very important and I like the creative way you didn’t upset the balance of Williamses on the NY Jets.

I don’t know if I make the trade in all seriousness though. I think watch kalil stumble and bumble his way to sucktitude is enough of the old man OL experience for me this year.
Trent hasn’t played all year and us already an injury prone fella of late.
I’d take a 2nd or a 3rd and 6th type of trade for Leo

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Embrace the Suck said:

Remember that we pay the bonus\guaranteed money at the time of the trade. So his contract won't be so bad for the team getting him.

True.  Per overthecap.com, if we traded him now, we'd get a cap savings of $8M with a $4M dead cap hit.  That's more than palatable.  

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, GREENBEAN said:

Hahaha. That’s very important and I like the creative way you didn’t upset the balance of Williamses on the NY Jets.

I don’t know if I make the trade in all seriousness though. I think watch kalil stumble and bumble his way to sucktitude is enough of the old man OL experience for me this year.
Trent hasn’t played all year and us already an injury prone fella of late.
I’d take a 2nd or a 3rd and 6th type of trade for Leo

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

I think I agree with you-- who knows what we'd get out of Trent Williams at this point. 

28 minutes ago, HighPitch said:

No trent. No more over the hill guys. Just draft 3 OL guys this year and fix this fast

If the  Jets tried to play next year  with three rookie offense lineman on their offense line , it would be a recipe for a disaster.   You think your offense line was bad this year, that offense line would be worse.   That’s a big jump going from college to the pro game.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, slats said:

Jets are top ten largely because their offense has been so bad the last few games that other teams don't have to press to score points. Meanwhile, the Jets aren't going to be resigning Leonard Williams, so if they can get a decent offer for him in a trade now, they should take it. If they don't trade him, the best they're looking at in return is a 2021 late third rounder, and that's no lock. If they're offered a 2020 third, they've gotta take it. Hopefully a few teams want in and push the price higher than that. 

Nobody was trying hard to score, because our offense was bad. Actually, it's just the opposite. Our offense was so bad, it gave another teams offense twice as much chance to score, because we kept giving the ball back to them. Don't agree with that. I also don't believe they'll trade Leo, unless they get a 2nd for him. There not going to give him away.

1 minute ago, genot said:

Nobody was trying hard to score, because our offense was bad. Actually, it's just the opposite. Our offense was so bad, it gave another teams offense twice as much chance to score, because we kept giving the ball back to them. Don't agree with that. I also don't believe they'll trade Leo, unless they get a 2nd for him. There not going to give him away.

I don't think they'll give him away either.  But in a season where the Jets BEST hope could be approaching 8-8, what is the incentive to keep him for this season and watch him walk in FA after the year is over?  The Jets are expected to sign guys in FA next year so any compensatory pick the Jets might get if Leo walks after the season could be wiped out.

It would be very Jetsy to see a good, starting caliber player (even if he's not elite) leave in FA without getting anything including a compensatory pick for him.

• Upvote 1

On 10/13/2019 at 11:40 AM, joewilly12 said:

2nd round  pick for Leo its going to happen . 

if douglas gets a 2nd for leo the jets had better be starting to find the bronze to make his bust in the front office.  i certainly hope that's the way it goes.  phillips was making some nice plays as was qwilliams.  leo was okay but it didn't seem like he was doing much more than taking up space.

3 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

I don't think they'll give him away either.  But in a season where the Jets BEST hope could be approaching 8-8, what is the incentive to keep him for this season and watch him walk in FA after the year is over?  The Jets are expected to sign guys in FA next year so any compensatory pick the Jets might get if Leo walks after the season could be wiped out.

It would be very Jetsy to see a good, starting caliber player (even if he's not elite) leave in FA without getting anything including a compensatory pick for him.

Yep.  Even a 4th round pick would be more valuable than a potential compensatory pick.  I wouldn't be pleased with that kind of return but if we can't get a 2nd or 3rd, I'll take it.  That pick would provide more value to the franchise than anything Leo can do the remainder of this season.  

• Upvote 1

Just now, Jetsfan80 said:

Yep.  Even a 4th round pick would be more valuable than a potential compensatory pick.  I wouldn't be pleased with that kind of return but if we can't get a 2nd or 3rd, I'll take it.  That pick would provide more value to the franchise than anything Leo can do the remainder of this season.  

Most people value what they have (and are trying to get rid of) higher than the market does.  We saw it with Darron Lee when people here were saying the Jets should be able to get a 3rd rounder for the former 1st round pick.

The way I try to be objective is by looking at it from the other side.  If you were another team, say KC, what would you as a fan want to see KC give up for a guy like Leo Williams in his walk year?  If you were renting an above average (but not great) DT for about 8 or 9 more games with no assurance he'd be with you in 2020, would you be upset if your GM gave up a 3rd round pick for him?  A 2nd?  A 4th?

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

1 minute ago, jetstream23 said:

Most people value what they have (and are trying to get rid of) higher than the market does.  We saw it with Darron Lee when people here were saying the Jets should be able to get a 3rd rounder for the former 1st round pick.

The way I try to be objective is by looking at it from the other side.  If you were another team, say KC, what would you as a fan want to see KC give up for a guy like Leo Williams in his walk year?  If you were renting an above average (but not great) DT for about 8 or 9 more games with no assurance he'd be with you in 2020, would you be upset if your GM gave up a 3rd round pick for him?  A 2nd?  A 4th?

Yep.  As a fan of another team, you'd really have to talk yourself into the idea that you're "shoring up a need" to justify a 2nd rounder for Leo.  If you're getting gashed in the run and are trying to make a deep postseason run, sure, maybe you could talk yourself into that.  

More likely Leo is gonna net a 3rd rounder if/when we move him.  Maybe a 3rd and a 6th/7th.  

2 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Yep.  As a fan of another team, you'd really have to talk yourself into the idea that you're "shoring up a need" to justify a 2nd rounder for Leo.  If you're getting gashed in the run and are trying to make a deep postseason run, sure, maybe you could talk yourself into that.  

More likely Leo is gonna net a 3rd rounder if/when we move him.  Maybe a 3rd and a 6th/7th.  

A 3rd rounder from a good team that feels it's a DLineman away from going far in the playoffs seems about right.  That would be a late 3rd....and I'd take that for Leo.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

I don't think he wants to leave. i wouldn't be surprised if he takes less than what his market value would be too stay. that's just speculation, on my part. Our #! target in free agency should be a quality corner, and good o-lineman. Lets draft an edge rusher, and a few o-lineman. I don't think we're that far away from being a serious contender. We should have beat the Bills. the other losses. Well 3rd string QB's aren't gonna get you much against good teams.

Coach Adam Gase did not slam the door shut on the Leonard Williams trade rumors. Gase talked around it, saying he's not concerned with hypotheticals. He said he hasn't received word from the front office on trade offers. He added: "Anything is possible. Right now, I like how our team is." The trading deadline is Oct. 29.

i?img=%2Fi%2Fcolumnists%2Ffull%2Fcimini_rich.png&w=80&h=80&scale=crop
Rich Cimini, ESPN Staff Writer16m ago

13 minutes ago, genot said:

I don't think he wants to leave. i wouldn't be surprised if he takes less than what his market value would be too stay. 

And how many players in the history of the NFL actually give their team a hometown discount?  In a league where there are no guaranteed contracts and your career can easily end in a heartbeat, guys take what they can get.  Leonard Williams is not going to take a dime less than he thinks he's worth.

And say he DOES show a willingness to take a little below market value to stay here...who cares?  We shouldn't be spending another dime on the interior Defensive Line.  Use that money elsewhere.  

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, genot said:

Our #1 target in free agency should be a quality corner, and good o-lineman. Lets draft an edge rusher, and a few o-lineman. 

And how exactly are we going to address all those needs if we're spending money to bring Leo back AND foregoing the draft pick(s) we could get in a deal?  You want an EDGE AND Offensive Linemen in the draft?  You do realize we'd likely need two first rounders to address LT and EDGE in this draft, right?  Those guys aren't easily found outside of the 1st round.  

Meanwhile, Corners don't tend to get let go in free agency, and the ones that do want QB money.  OL aren't easy to find in Free Agency either.  

Face it, we need picks, and a lot of them.  We can't keep luxury guys like Leo around AND fill all the needs we have.  

• Upvote 2

19 minutes ago, genot said:

I don't think he wants to leave. i wouldn't be surprised if he takes less than what his market value would be too stay. that's just speculation, on my part. Our #! target in free agency should be a quality corner, and good o-lineman. Lets draft an edge rusher, and a few o-lineman. I don't think we're that far away from being a serious contender. We should have beat the Bills. the other losses. Well 3rd string QB's aren't gonna get you much against good teams.

Leo Williams has underachieved here. Why would he want to stay let alone at a reduced price? He's a prime candidate for a chance at career redemption with a change of scenery. If the Jets don't trade him, he's gonna run out the door in free agency. 

Jets need a lot of help. Freeing up the money that Leo would get plus having an extra, say, third round pick would be big. That's a couple/few players for just Leo, who plays the rare position where the Jets are actually deep. Meanwhile, CB, OL, EDGE, WR, all need first-string upgrades. They need the resources to get that done.  

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, slats said:

Leo Williams has underachieved here. Why would he want to stay let alone at a reduced price? He's a prime candidate for a chance at career redemption with a change of scenery. If the Jets don't trade him, he's gonna run out the door in free agency. 

Jets need a lot of help. Freeing up the money that Leo would get plus having an extra, say, third round pick would be big. That's a couple/few players for just Leo, who plays the rare position where the Jets are actually deep. Meanwhile, CB, OL, EDGE, WR, all need first-string upgrades. They need the resources to get that done.  

Don't worry.  genot has a plan wherein we draft an elite EDGE in the 5th round, a franchise LT in the 6th and sign the best CB1, WR1, LG, C, RG and RT on the market in free agency while trading away none of our current players on the roster.

14 minutes ago, slats said:

8 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Don't worry.  genot has a plan wherein we draft an elite EDGE in the 5th round, a franchise LT in the 6th and sign the best CB1, WR1, LG, C, RG and RT on the market in free agency while trading away none of our current players on the roster.

If you can assure me that the player we draft with the 3rd rounder we get for Leo, will have an impact equal too or greater than Leo's, i'll go for it.

4 minutes ago, genot said:

If you can assure me that the player we draft with the 3rd rounder we get for Leo, will have an impact equal too or greater than Leo's, i'll go for it.

That won't be hard to do.  And he'll be a lot cheaper than Leo.  

A pipeline RT or interior Offensive Lineman is much more valuable to this team than a run-stopping DT, that's for sure.  

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, genot said:

Can you guarantee that Leo Williams at whatever he's going to get on the open market will have more of an impact than another player going for a similar amount? 

Again, it's not just the pick, but it's the extra $14M or so they'd have to spend in free agency, too. That's one impact player or a couple decent starters plus whoever you take with the pick. 

• Upvote 2

32 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

And how exactly are we going to address all those needs if we're spending money to bring Leo back AND foregoing the draft pick(s) we could get in a deal?  You want an EDGE AND Offensive Linemen in the draft?  You do realize we'd likely need two first rounders to address LT and EDGE in this draft, right?  Those guys aren't easily found outside of the 1st round.  

Meanwhile, Corners don't tend to get let go in free agency, and the ones that do want QB money.  OL aren't easy to find in Free Agency either.  

Face it, we need picks, and a lot of them.  We can't keep luxury guys like Leo around AND fill all the needs we have.  

Trade for Trent Williams. Draft Chase Young, sign Ramsey as a free agent, and use the rest of draft on interior o-lineman and a WR. We'll need a center and right guard, if KO, can't cut it there. We've talked about this before. i don't think the jet's are that far away from being a very good team.