Sam Darnold

1 minute ago, jetspenguin said:

No, he is pretty much right. With the exception of Carlson Palmer most have been horrible and even Palmer didnt crank it up until later in his career. That may not have any relevance whatsoever with the success or failure of Sam but there is no string of USC QB's to hang the history on. If Sam does take us to the big be he will be the ONE success story at the position out of that school. 

Well Stanford have produced Jim Plunkett, John Elway and Andrew Luck.  The amount of Rose Bowl wins dwarfs what USC's done.  The talent that goes through that team is always top notch so it just doesn't correlate with how an individual QB will do.  Alabama produced two HOF QBs, hasn't produced a single decent All Pro  QB since.  It doesn't sit on the whole SEC.  A lot of good pro careers are timing ah chance.

9 minutes ago, jetspenguin said:

No, he is pretty much right. With the exception of Carlson Palmer most have been horrible and even Palmer didnt crank it up until later in his career. That may not have any relevance whatsoever with the success or failure of Sam but there is no string of USC QB's to hang the history on. If Sam does take us to the big be he will be the ONE success story at the position out of that school. 

Palmer was great before he blew out his knee against Pitts

• Upvote 1

Just now, Tony MaC said:

Between this and the Yankees I'm staying the hell away from sports radio for a bit. LOL.

Yankees at least make us proud.  They almost made it to the World Series and lost to a great and better team.  Hell of a year from them.  

Jets are losers.  Only comical relief for sports commentators and writers unfortunately.  

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, pdxgreen said:

Well Stanford have produced Jim Plunkett, John Elway and Andrew Luck.  The amount of Rose Bowl wins dwarfs what USC's done.  The talent that goes through that team is always top notch so it just doesn't correlate with how an individual QB will do.  Alabama produced two HOF QBs, hasn't produced a single decent All Pro  QB since.  It doesn't sit on the whole SEC.  A lot of good pro careers are timing ah chance.

Why do you keep bringing up all those other schools? We are specifically talking about USC, none of the other schools are relevant to this specific point. 

23 minutes ago, CTJetsFan said:

Never expected a game this bad at this point in his career

It’s his 16th start?

the Pats D has over 90 drives this yr and have given up just 3 TDs. 

belichick has now won the last 20 games vs a 1st or 2nd yr QB. 

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, jetspenguin said:

Why do you keep bringing up all those other schools? We are specifically talking about USC, none of the other schools are relevant to this specific point. 

Because I just think it's lame to bring that up as a talking point.  Sam will rise or fall on his own merits.  Yeah USC's QB's usually suck.  I just don't think its that relevant.  

3 minutes ago, jetspenguin said:

No ...Palmer was good. He wasnt "great" until he hooked up with Bruce Arians in AZ....and even if I gave you that one, it's still .........just.......one..........guy.

Incorrect. His second year as a starter he completed 68% of his passes (in 2005), made the playoffs, the pro bowl and was #2 in QB rating

image.png.b9b2474e736371b2374a9c05ee8fcf68.png

• Upvote 1

I'm sorry but during the preseason all I heard is how Darnold looks good and that the Jets are going to the playoffs and will look better than Mayfield. Darnold doesn't look good at all and I can't blame all of it on Gase!!! What people saw in preseason was a total aberration!!! Darnold also hasn't played a full season!!! 

This team is a total mess no oline, no WRs or TEs that's on offense only!!!! I can't put all the blame on Gase because he inherited this team from Todd Bowles. Gase needs more time with Darnold and needs a brand new oline and WRs. We need to stop making excuses and blaming Gase. 

If Darnold continues to struggle on this offense and even if they get him a brand new oline  and WRs, its not the head coach but the QB himself. 

So i've been saying if Sam Darnold craps out the rest of the season we have no choice to draft another QB with a top 5 pick. 

Sam Darnold not protecting the football is on him. 

He was terrible tonight. Throwing up the floaters which were INTERCEPTED. 

Id rather see a running QB and someone who isn't afraid or throw the damn ball away. 

We have GARBAGE WR's and very bad OL  not helping the situation. 

• Thumb Down 1

After Belichick took the helm in 2000, the Patriots won seven of eight games against the Colts. For Manning, it was a stretch that included 10 interceptions over the course of three games in Foxborough, a pair of playoff defeats, and complaints about both the Patriots' physical defense and his team's own play calling.

It culminated in the 2004 playoffs, a game that seemingly set up perfectly for Manning.

He was playing at an unprecedented level, coming off an NFL-record 49 touchdown passes in the regular season. Perhaps more significantly, the Patriots' defense was decimated, playing without Richard Seymourand both starting cornerbacks (Ty Law and Tyrone Poole). Among others, the secondary would include an undrafted rookie (Randall Gay) and a 33-year-old wide receiver (Troy Brown).

Not only did the Colts lose in the snow, but the makeshift Patriots defense held Manning without a touchdown. An offense that average 32.6 points per game managed just a field goal in a 20-3 loss. Manning brought only three drives inside the New England 40-yard line.

"It was just the best game plan that we've had since I've been here," Patriots safety Rodney Harrison said after the game.

Manning was visibly dejected, later saying he felt "responsible and accountable and so disappointed I couldn't do my job better to help my team win."

Two opinions seemed unanimous after the game. Belichick was a defensive genius, and the Patriots were in Manning's head. It was reasonable to ask if Manning would ever overcome New England.

Less than a year later, he threw for three touchdowns in a 40-21 drubbing of the Patriots at Gillette Stadium.

Since starting 1-7 against Belichick's Patriots, Manning and the Colts have won five of the past six meetings. That includes two straight wins in Foxborough, where he was previously 0-7.

https://www.espn.com/boston/nfl/columns/story?columnist=lundblad_jeremy&id=5823936

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Jet hustle said:

More games like this one?   How many of these types of games have the leagues top qbs had in their career?   Df you talkin abt.....

In Sunday's loss to the Kansas City Chiefs, Peyton Manning had the worst game of his career, completing just five passes for 35 yards, while also throwing four interceptions

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

I think him saying that is fine. I mean he didn't know who was coming. He didn't announce to whole team he just reacting.

I mean great coaching and scheme from bill a cheat. 

Gase should have answered with some players to help block. So basic.

Where is Powell , TE, extra linemen etc.

He just let Darnold get killed all night and called plays as if he didn't care about Darnold. I mean damn, playing Madden gives you better play calling that what Gase Gave us

1 hour ago, AL047 said:

I'm sorry but during the preseason all I heard is how Darnold looks good and that the Jets are going to the playoffs and will look better than Mayfield. Darnold doesn't look good at all and I can't blame all of it on Gase!!! What people saw in preseason was a total aberration!!! Darnold also hasn't played a full season!!! 

This team is a total mess no oline, no WRs or TEs that's on offense only!!!! I can't put all the blame on Gase because he inherited this team from Todd Bowles. Gase needs more time with Darnold and needs a brand new oline and WRs. We need to stop making excuses and blaming Gase. 

If Darnold continues to struggle on this offense and even if they get him a brand new oline  and WRs, its not the head coach but the QB himself. 

You just destroyed the entire point you were trying to make within this same post.  Darnold is pretty much crippled at this point in his career due to inferior “talent” that surrounds him.  He pretty much has to do everything himself, and that’s not easy.  Although he has done just that in a few games over his short career.

The fact that you have not seen one of the top RBs in the game in Bell have a run of oh I won’t ask for much, say 20 yards THE ENTIRE SEASON, speaks to the pure garbage of the line in front of Darnold.

Tell me, with roles totally reversed tonight, how much better does Tom Brady do with free rushers on top of him in 1/2 a second along with his receivers getting zero separation?

Albert Breer (@AlbertBreer)

10/21/19, 11:42 PM

Defense through 7 games ...

1985 Bears: 315.5 yards allowed/game.
2000 Ravens: 259.9 yards allowed/game.
2019 Patriots: 223.8 yards allowed/game.

• Pats have held 3 of 7 opponents under 200 yards.
• Pats have held 4 of 7 offenses out of the end zone.

10 minutes ago, C Mart said:

Albert Breer (@AlbertBreer)

10/21/19, 11:42 PM

Defense through 7 games ...

1985 Bears: 315.5 yards allowed/game.
2000 Ravens: 259.9 yards allowed/game.
2019 Patriots: 223.8 yards allowed/game.

• Pats have held 3 of 7 opponents under 200 yards.
• Pats have held 4 of 7 offenses out of the end zone.

So they're pretty good, huh?

I'm surprised that our atrocious offensive line couldn't hold up and that our 2nd year QB was running for his life.

• Upvote 1