Sam Darnold

2 hours ago, FlightBoyz said:

Sam will be fine. Im not worried. Game's like these happen from time to time. 

Games like this never happen.  8 completions vs 5 turnovers.  I could literally do better than that and I have never played QB.

8 minutes ago, David Harris said:

He obviously had zero faith in his line, got rattled early and stayed rattled

He struggled seeing where the blitz was coming from at times, and even when he did see it, he didn't have the presence to get rid of the ball or make a guy miss. He was also throwing off his back foot again just like week one, even when he did have time. 

Look, we all know the OL isn't good, but tonight was on Darnold. The one thing you don't want to see is a QB look rattled (we're all using that word, because we don't want to ever say the worse one) but lets be honest, he has to learn to handle blitzes better. You don't think the Jaguars will be bringing guys after seeing tonight's tape?

That said, this place has to calm down with the Darnold over reactions. He looked terrible tonight, he looked really good last week. You guys go nuts when it comes to this kid. So many of you anointed him from day one. Give him time to breath, and learn, and stop killing guys like me who had the audacity last year to say they weren't sold on the greatness you proclaimed for him, and for goodness sake stop with the freaking threads gloating over other young QBs having a bad game. As you saw tonight, they all do..

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

Well let’s see how he handles Sunday? - Is he a man or a mouse. Having your pants pulled down in front of the nation isn’t fun.

I’d personally like to see the Jets nowhere near MNF for at least another two years.

The rest of the season is to see if we can salvage anything. Anyone who thinks this isn’t Kotite like, or worse is crazy or trolling like SAR1.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, BurnleyJet said:

Can’t sugar coat this sh*t. It’s not hyperbole this season is worse than Kotite’s. At lest they was competitive.

We've been in a spiral for for a long time. 

Kotite’s teams were not competitive. 

until last night the Jets D has played well. 

last night was a Belichick clinic. How Darnold, this team and coaching staff looks Sunday will be telling. 

The kid is still basically a rookie...last night was his 16th start. He has had some good games and some bad. Obviously last night was rock bottom made more bitter because it was against the patriots. The truth is our entire team is terrible starting with an offensive line that appears to have not been trying to block all season. Our coaches have not made any adjustments help Sam out and our gm has not seemed interested in going out and getting Sam more protection. Why don't we have blocking tight ends or fullbacks giving the line support. I did not love the Sam Darnold pick when we made it but I am also not ready to give up on him yet he is still a young kid with talent.

Sent from my LGUS991 using JetNation.com mobile app

24 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

I love Sam but that was awful.

One of the worst QB performances I've ever seen.  

HIs O-line and more importantly HC didn't do him any favors but it's on him to do better than that.

I felt the same way until i started wondering what was Sam supposed to do? In a best case scenario, he throws those balls away and the Jets punt. Result, a terrible game without the turnovers. The competitor got the better of sam last night. He felt his team needed a play and he was trying to give his WRs an opportunity to make one.

• Upvote 3

31 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

I love Sam but that was awful.

One of the worst QB performances I've ever seen.  

HIs O-line and more importantly HC didn't do him any favors but it's on him to do better than that.

Agreed.  Throwing balls up for grabs, off his back foot.  Accuracy and decision making were both awful all night.  That was as bad as I have seen a QB play.  Seemed like he was not right all night -- some of those throws were so bad.  He just looked completely lost out there.

Time to see how he bounces back next week.

• Sympathy 1

6 hours ago, BurnleyJet said:

Well let’s see how he handles Sunday? - Is he a man or a mouse. Having your pants pulled down in front of the nation isn’t fun.

I’d personally like to see the Jets nowhere near MNF for at least another two years.

The rest of the season is to see if we can salvage anything. Anyone who thinks this isn’t Kotite like, or worse is crazy or trolling like SAR1.

The same with the rest of the nation. The JETS are simply hot garbage right now and it all stems from management.  Bad drafts, Bad trades, Bad player development, poor coaching.  Woody is obtuse...

12 minutes ago, Sonny Werblin said:

I felt the same way until i started wondering what was Sam supposed to do? In a best case scenario, he throws those balls away and the Jets punt. Result, a terrible game without the turnovers. The competitor got the better of sam last night. He felt his team needed a play and he was trying to give his WRs an opportunity to make one.

I dont think this is what it was. This is what Winston does under pressure. It's just a terrible habit and looks due to a lack of preparation. 

• Sympathy 1

56 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

I dont think this is what it was. This is what Winston does under pressure. It's just a terrible habit and looks due to a lack of preparation. 

I agree that he should not have made those throws, but the only other options were taking a sack or throwing it away. He has to learn that most times you throw it away and sometimes you take a sack. Even if he made the correct decision, his stat line would have been terrible, just with less turnovers.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, C Mart said:

It’s his 16th start?

the Pats D has over 90 drives this yr and have given up just 3 TDs. 

belichick has now won the last 20 games vs a 1st or 2nd yr QB. 

I get the Pats D is very good and it's only his 16th game. Still never expected to see something that bad at this point. Sam is a bright kid with supposedly high football acumen and intelligence. That's what made last night that much more disturbing.

I'm really surprised. It was one of the all time worst Qb performances by a Jets Qb. I thought Sam had a chance to be the best Qb in our history. I'm not ruling it out but this was very bad. He was better then Luke Falk at least he wasn't sacked 9 times. But his picks were lollipops tossed up indiscriminately. He was confused but he really had no help from the coaching staff who made few adjustments. The Jets never go into a hurry up, usually no blocking back, etc. You have to protect the Qb and the Qb can't make insane decisions even if on the run.  

Sam Darnold has a toughness problem.  he is scared to stand in the pocket and deliver a ball knowing he is going to get hit.

Bellichek picked up on this an exploited it.

You want to stop teams from blitzing like this??  When the rush comes, step up in the pocket and deliver a nice ball to a receiver who has one on one coverage.  Get knocked down, pick yourself up and get back in the huddle and do it again.

Teams will stop doing this when you prove you can take a hit a deliver a ball.

Sam is a scared little boy back there.  He is 230 lbs.  Take a hit and stop being a wuss.

1 hour ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Sam Darnold has a toughness problem.  he is scared to stand in the pocket and deliver a ball knowing he is going to get hit.

Bellichek picked up on this an exploited it.

You want to stop teams from blitzing like this??  When the rush comes, step up in the pocket and deliver a nice ball to a receiver who has one on one coverage.  Get knocked down, pick yourself up and get back in the huddle and do it again.

Teams will stop doing this when you prove you can take a hit a deliver a ball.

Sam is a scared little boy back there.  He is 230 lbs.  Take a hit and stop being a wuss.

I disagree. I haven't seen him not being tough enough. What I saw wasn't a wuss but a very confused Qb who could not deal with a pass rush and a confusing D scheme that most NFL Qbs can't figure out. Even Bart Scott mentioned that in his career he'd seen it multiple times teams being confused by Belichick. They are 7-0 and then entire league is confused by what they are doing. BB is again in charge of their D and it shows in 2019. He no longer has a D coordinator or some in charge of the defense.  When Bill was our DC  players on the Jets D talked about how it was a great advantage having him in charge of our defense. 

5 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

I disagree. I haven't seen him not being tough enough. What I saw wasn't a wuss but a very confused Qb who could not deal with a pass rush and a confusing D scheme that most NFL Qbs can't figure out. Even Bart Scott mentioned that in his career he'd seen it multiple times teams being confused by Belichick. They are 7-0 and then entire league is confused by what they are doing. BB is again in charge of their D and it shows in 2019. He no longer has a D coordinator or some in charge of the defense.  When Bill was our DC  players on the Jets D talked about how it was a great advantage having him in charge of our defense. 

What is confusing about one on one coverage on the outside wrs and no safety in the middle?  Most qbs would salivate at that kind of defense.  Just hang in the pocket and deliver a throw.  its cream cheese.  Darnold was too scared to hang in there.  

Bellicheks defense wasnt creative or even remotely confusing.  it was as basic as you get.  Im blitzing everyone and leaving my corners on an island because I know your are scared and wont hang in the pocket.  You will back up, throw off your back and have 0 chance to complete an easy pass.

It was embarrassing to watch.  You have to be willing to take a hit to play qb in this league.  Look no further then deshawn watson who is tough as nails.  Darnold is a scared little boy back there.  he needs to toughen up or hes done in this league.

• Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, CTJetsFan said:

I get the Pats D is very good and it's only his 16th game. Still never expected to see something that bad at this point. Sam is a bright kid with supposedly high football acumen and intelligence. That's what made last night that much more disturbing.

I didn't expect it either but he and all Jets coaches got schooled by the greatest coach of all-time (who had 10 days to prepare)........

1 hour ago, Joe W. Namath said:

What is confusing about one on one coverage on the outside wrs and no safety in the middle?  Most qbs would salivate at that kind of defense.  Just hang in the pocket and deliver a throw.  its cream cheese.  Darnold was too scared to hang in there.  

Bellicheks defense wasnt creative or even remotely confusing.  it was as basic as you get.  Im blitzing everyone and leaving my corners on an island because I know your are scared and wont hang in the pocket.  You will back up, throw off your back and have 0 chance to complete an easy pass.

It was embarrassing to watch.  You have to be willing to take a hit to play qb in this league.  Look no further then deshawn watson who is tough as nails.  Darnold is a scared little boy back there.  he needs to toughen up or hes done in this league.

He had a terrible game. One of the worst Qb performances in Jets history. I'm not an expert on Xs and Os but his teams are very disciplined, they follow Bill's scheme and don't improvise, if they do they're gone.  Did you see BB having meetings with D players throughout the game, talking to big groups and those guys listened. It was impressive. But I think Sam couldn't handle the looks he was getting, he's never played this poorly. And our coaches were unable to provide answers and adjust. I didn't see him being scared he was confused. We'll see there are ten games left. I think he can bounce back. The guy is also coming off of mono and might still be sick. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Sonny Werblin said:

He basically said that last night...Tried to get 24 points back in one play...

Do people realize Peyton Manning was still in college at Sam's age? And as we know had been playing QB his whole life..Sam didn't start playing QB until his So/Jr. year in HS...

Relax..

On the football team, Darnold played wide receiver and linebacker, though he played quarterback as a sophomore after the starting quarterback was injured in a game against Tesoro High School. He threw a touchdown pass and scored the game-winning two-point conversion, but returned to playing receiver and linebacker a week later.  When he legitimately became the school's quarterback, Darnold broke the school record for the most touchdown passes in a game when he threw five on two occasions.  He missed much of his junior year with a foot injury.  In his senior year, San Clemente reached the CIF-Southern Section Southwest Division championship game, where they lost 37–44 to Trabuco Hills High School.  He ended his senior season with 3,000 passing yards and 39 touchdowns, along with 800 rushing yards and 13 rushing touchdowns. 

Darnold was rated by Rivals.com as a four-star recruit and was ranked as the eighth best dual-threat quarterback in his class and 179th best player overall.  However, he did not have much footage of him performing at recruiting camps, preferring to show his play in games. As a result, San Clemente head football coach Jaime Ortiz elected to provide video of his basketball career to football coaches.  He received scholarship offers to play college football from schools like Oregon, Utah, Northwestern and Duke. During a football camp, USC coaches Clay Helton and Steve Sarkisian were impressed by Darnold's performance, and extended to him a scholarship to play for the Trojans.

Darnold's head coach and offensive line did him no favors, but this was just an abysmal performance, and the second epic meltdown of a game Sam had had in his first 16 games.  I still believe in Sam but this definitely throws a bucket of cold water over my enthusiasm, at least for now.  Let's see what kind of bounceback this kid has in him.  I really want to believe that he will rise to the occasion and have a good season.