Anyone remember this game?

Maxman

2 minutes ago, southparkcpa said:

Wasn't there BUT I remember all the chips that HAD to fall in place that Sunday, and they did.

We thought Chad would be the answer...

Chad was on fire that season.

Herm Edwards and the Jets shutting out the Colts and Peyton Manning in the playoffs should be a trivia question that nobody would get right today.  In fact, the Jets knocking Peyton Manning and the Colts out of the playoffs has happened twice, once with Herm and once with Rex.  Go figure!  For this godforsaken franchise that stands out as a huge anomaly.

• Upvote 3

Great day all around.  We were all rooting for the Pats to beat the Fins to provide an opening to get into the playoffs and everyone in the stadium went nuts when the Pats won.  The Jets held up their end of the bargain for once and pummeled the Pack, leading to the epic beat down of the Colts the following week.  

• Sympathy 1

3 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

Chad was on fire that season.

Herm Edwards and the Jets shutting out the Colts and Peyton Manning in the playoffs should be a trivia question that nobody would get right today.  In fact, the Jets knocking Peyton Manning and the Colts out of the playoffs has happened twice, once with Herm and once with Rex.  Go figure!  For this godforsaken franchise that stands out as a huge anomaly.

I thought Chad was the next Montana. Too bad the was an egg shell back there.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

I was there - probably the best Jets game of my life, even better than the next week vs Indy. I'll never forget the stadium roar as the news came in about the Patriots coming back to beat the Dolphins. Favre and the Packers had no shot after that.
That team was great.
Great day, those days were few and far between... it was like one big party up in 316 where we sat back then.
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Maxman said:

One of the weirdest and best days at the old stadium.

We had a TV set up in the parking lot, it looked like our only chance to get in was with Atlanta beating Cleveland and Atlanta led in the 4th but Cleveland eventually pulled ahead by 8 before Atlanta had a 2nd and G from the cle 1 and Cleveland stopped them.

At that point I believe Miami was up 11 and it looked over.  We decided to go into the stadium, I was really pissed.  I didn't even want to go in but we did.  

I had an old handheld mini TV with an antenna(?) and was watching Miami on the way in.  NE started coming back and all of a sudden inside the stadium I had a huge crowd around me trying to watch this tiny TV as NE tied it and it went to OT.

In OT I was at my seats watching, none of the people around me were paying attention to the Jet game, we were all watching OT and there was a huge play where Brady through to that old reliable receiving back Kevin faulk.  It went to replay review and we all held out breath as they would have been in FG range if it was upheld.

It was upheld and a couple of plays later Vinatieri kicked it through and we went crazy in our section and there was a huge roar in the stadium.  I believe the roar came right after a long incompletion to Coles and basically after the NE game was final we just tore GB apart.  People forget GB was 12-3 at the time and playing for honefield and at that point in time they had never lost at lambeau in the playoffs.

This was probably my all time favorite memory at a Jets home game as my dad was with us and he died a few years after that game.  

I hope someday we can play meaningful games at home in late December/January again.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

1 hour ago, jetstream23 said:

750400161_ScreenShot2019-10-30at9_01_23AM.thumb.png.bc713838cdc8cfea14a1845ac42c9b85.png

Wow!  I forgot so much of this.

The last playoff victory for either the Jets or Giants at the old Meadowlands.

(Sorry for the image size.  You can click to enlarge.)

We played the first ever playoff game at that stadium even though the Giants played there 9 years before we got there (the Giants would play their first playoff game there a day later) and we ended with last home playoff win there.  That's interesting.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, southparkcpa said:

Wasn't there BUT I remember all the chips that HAD to fall in place that Sunday, and they did.

We thought Chad would be the answer...

We needed either Atlanta to beat Cleveland for a WC spot or NE to beat Miami for the division (assuming we beat GB).  It was very realistic though most expected it was more realistic b that Atlanta would beat Cleveland- that sounds very weird knowing what we know NE has become since that time.

4 minutes ago, Apache 51 said:

That was a good year,  was at that game. Eagles lost to the Giants day before.Thought it was going to possibly be the year of the perfect storm, meeting in the SB. Eagles continued to soar for years, Jets, not so much.

9CBC5D8B-0958-4706-848E-6C561EECDA6A.thumb.jpeg.1e74234933264c3348ccf065cb624348.jpeg

The Jets were mostly good for the next decade.  They weren't as good as Philly (Philly was in weaker division) but they were pretty good for a long time.  Unfortunately they were stuck in a division with Brady.

Wow.

Was supposed to go with my brother-in-law (at the time) who was a big Packers fan. I ended up really sick that week and gave him my ticket and told him to take whoever he wanted to go with.

Watched in on TV. Will never forget him calling me to tell me the stadium shook from the roar when the Pats won. He didn't know what the hell was going on.

Oh yeah - I didn't have my tickets for the playoff game vs Colts because so many things had to happen for Jets to make it, I figured there was no need to send in the money.☹️

I lived in New England at the time and actually was at the game the week before.  People forget the Chrebet drop in Chicago and how we thought we were dead because we would need Pennington to beat New England on Sunday night in Foxboro.  And he did.  It was amazing.

The next week I drove down for the Green Bay game, and the Jets used to have these tents in the parking lot with food, souveneirs, little tables, etc. and they had these flat screen TV's on with the Cleveland and New England games on-  the Green Bay game meant nothing if those two games didn't go our way first.  So I was with my friend in one of those tents, watching both those games for an hour.  Woody Johnson stopped by and wished us all well, it was nice.

Once the New England game went our way there were about 2,000 other fans who were watching TV in the parking lot, all of us racing into the stadium and cheering, we were outside the stadium and heard the roar, it was an amazing feeling.  Then the win over Green Bay.  Then the win over Indy the next week.  It was awesome.

SAR I

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

6 minutes ago, SAR I said:

I lived in New England at the time and actually was at the game the week before.  People forget the Chrebet drop in Chicago and how we thought we were dead because we would need Pennington to beat New England on Sunday night in Foxboro.  And he did.  It was amazing.

The next week I drove down for the Green Bay game, and the Jets used to have these tents in the parking lot with food, souveneirs, little tables, etc. and they had these flat screen TV's on with the Cleveland and New England games on-  the Green Bay game meant nothing if those two games didn't go our way first.  So I was with my friend in one of those tents, watching both those games for an hour.  Woody Johnson stopped by and wished us all well, it was nice.

Once the New England game went our way there were about 2,000 fans racing into the stadium and cheering, it was an amazing feeling.  Then the win over Green Bay.  Then the win over Indy the next week.  It was awesome.

SAR I

The Chrebet fumble was on my birthday and I remember posting on the old JI site "Thanks for ruining my birthday" After the game I remember hearing that in order for the Jets to make the playoffs the following had to happen

1) Tenn beat NE the following night on MNF

2) Jets beat NE 

3) Miami beat  NE

4) Jets Beat GB

Damn if all that didn't happen It was nuts just walking into the stadium we alot of us thought the Jets were dead cause Miami was winning most of the day. When the Pats came back and the FG was good I don't think I ever heard the stadium roar so loud

• Upvote 3

48 minutes ago, Apache 51 said:

NFCBEAST....afcleast

The NFC east has been mostly weak since the cowboys dynasty ended.  There have been good teams but outside of a year here and there it was mostly weak.  Philly feasted on that division in the 00s.  The AFC East has been weak outside of NE since the Jets started sucking but in the 00s it was tough all around early then tough with Jets and pats later. 

14 minutes ago, shawn306 said:

The Chrebet fumble was on my birthday and I remember posting on the old JI site "Thanks for ruining my birthday" After the game I remember hearing that in order for the Jets to make the playoffs the following had to happen

1) Tenn beat NE the following night on MNF

2) Jets beat NE 

3) Miami beat  NE

4) Jets Beat GB

Damn if all that didn't happen It was nuts just walking into the stadium we alot of us thought the Jets were dead cause Miami was winning most of the day. When the Pats came back and the FG was good I don't think I ever heard the stadium roar so loud

We also needed Minnesota to beat Miami week 16 and they did it with a long FG at the gun.

After the stupid chrebet play all looked lost but amazingly by week 17 it was pretty simple and the odds looked good to make it.

3 hours ago, Maxman said:

Waited with hundreds and hundreds out in the parking lot listening to the Patriots game.  And it was OH! MY! GOD! a mad bull rush to the Gate with hundreds and hundreds.  Surreal.  And then the game itself was just majestic.

Has to be one of the top 5 Jets games of all time.   

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

29 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Once the New England game went our way there were about 2,000 other fans who were watching TV in the parking lot, all of us racing into the stadium and cheering, we were outside the stadium and heard the roar, it was an amazing feeling.  Then the win over Green Bay.  Then the win over Indy the next week.  It was awesome.

SAR I

We sucked that day in Chicago (champaigne actually as they played at the University of Illinois while they were destroying soldier Field with the renovations) but had a chance late until Wayne thought he could jump into the EZ from the 15 yard line.  Oh that was painful but it all worked out.

I believe those next 3 games were the greatest stretch in team history. Beating up NE and just crushing GB and Indy.