New York Jets QB Sam Darnold,11.25

Maxman

I never worried about sam. He’s young and smart and very able to be coached. 

One thing we need to accept is he’s a bit of a gunslinger and that will prob be the way he is forever. He always wants to make the big play but he will slowly learn when it’s simply not possible 

• Upvote 4

7 minutes ago, Grandy said:

Thought this was interesting. 

Many of us tried to emphasis this in the offseason.  It's frustrating because Kalil was embarrassingly bad similar to how Spencer Long was embarrassingly bad the year before under Bowles.  Both coaches refused to make the switch and then once they were forced to we see a drastic difference in the overall performance of the OL and Darnold.  Also, Compton has been considerably better than Winters.

Oh well, what can you do.  Just glad to Sammy ballin and hope he can keep it going to carry some momentum into next season when hopefully we can improve the roster and stay healthy.

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

14 minutes ago, JiF said:

Many of us tried to emphasis this in the offseason.  It's frustrating because Kalil was embarrassingly bad similar to how Spencer Long was embarrassingly bad the year before under Bowles.  Both coaches refused to make the switch and then once they were forced to we see a drastic difference in the overall performance of the OL and Darnold.  Also, Compton has been considerably better than Winters.

Oh well, what can you do.  Just glad to Sammy ballin and hope he can keep it going to carry some momentum into next season when hopefully we can improve the roster and stay healthy.

I think its upside, cant really think of anything else. I think coaches think that the "higher" end player (based on eperience/draft position) can make better individual plays maybe higher end plays or better in 1 on 1s, but then you look at Harrison and I think his ceiling is much lower but he plays at that sort of average level more consistently and for a young QB that predictability leads to better anticipation and confidence. All I got on this one, it can be baffling.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

Which makes one wonder why Coach Gase and GM Douglas were in such a hurry to replace Harrison, so much so that they overpaid for a won-out Khalil who failed utterly and completely.

I remember reading something that most in the NFL did not think highly  of Harrison.  When McCagnan said he believed he could start I remember many unnamed executives being as quoted as saying it was a mistake with a young franchise QB.

Khalil is an example of what Chris Carter talks about- don't tarnish a great NFL career by staying on the field too long.  I can't fault the guy for having second thoughts on retirement but it  should be clear he did not walk away from the game on his terms or still able to play at a high level.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Warfish said:

Which makes one wonder why Coach Gase and GM Douglas were in such a hurry to replace Harrison, so much so that they overpaid for a won-out Khalil who failed utterly and completely.

And then proceeded to start him until he got hurt. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, JiF said:

Literally the entire interior OL had awful starters get the jobs over their vastly superior backups, based on some combination of name and contracts.  Because in addition to those you mentioned, let's not forget Osemele / Lewis was more of the same, but simply got addressed a little sooner thanks to a combination of injuries and the fiasco that ensued from there.

I agree that at least it finally got resolved, but let's just hope this is a serious wake-up call to the guys running things with this team now, because that kind of crap can simply never be happening again.

• Sympathy 1

4 hours ago, Warfish said:

Yeah because it's all Harrison.

Kalil, who is what he is at this point, had Osmele and Winters next to him...not so now.

Not going to argue that Kalil was a mistake or not, because he probably was...but he's a former multi-yr all-pro, so I'll give JD some slack.

But random isolated 'observations' such as the above are logically inane.  Even if you trusted Harrison from the get go, we still had no backup OC, so I understand the push for the chance on Kalil.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

8 hours ago, Bleedin Green said:

Literally the entire interior OL had awful starters get the jobs over their vastly superior backups, based on some combination of name and contracts.  Because in addition to those you mentioned, let's not forget Osemele / Lewis was more of the same, but simply got addressed a little sooner thanks to a combination of injuries and the fiasco that ensued from there.

I agree that at least it finally got resolved, but let's just hope this is a serious wake-up call to the guys running things with this team now, because that kind of crap can simply never be happening again.

This has to be a Johnson thing. Players started based on who was paid more, not who was better.  

• Sympathy 1

14 hours ago, Grandy said:

Thought this was interesting. 

What this says to me is not that Harrison is a quality C but that they other guys were terrible, Spencer couldn't snap the ball in a shotgun formation. Sam had to play shortstop and couldn't look downfield to read the defense. Kahil was a reach but was the only move JD could make after he was hired.

Jets still need to prioritize OL in the draft and free agency - LT,C, RT and G. Keep Harrison as a cap friendly backup.

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, Maxman said:

New York Jets QB Sam Darnold,11.25

On his learning process on his decisions to throw the ball away…

I think it is a little bit of both. I think it is definitely with Dowell (Loggains) and coach (Adam) Gase, going through some stuff with me and just making sure that I keep thinking about it throughout the week. Even in practice if I do it every now and then, it is a good little reminder that they are really good at reminding me about that stuff and I do think it is the more reps you get, the more experience you get especially first, second down even third down, sometimes a throw away is a good play, but I have Dowell and Coach Gase to thank for continuing to hammer that home throughout the week. 

On any tangible signs he has seen as a group starting to mesh...

I think as you continue to play and with experience, you continue to learn the offense and you continue to feel really good about the plays that we are running and we start to get in a really good rhythm and I think we have felt that the last few weeks and we are only going to continue to get better with that and that helps everything, it helps communication, it just allows to go out there and play fast. I definitely think that just comes with continuing to play more games with each other. 

On the flee flicker...

I think with Dowell (Loggains) and Coach Gase whenever we go through with progressions, the plays they do a really good job of making sure that I understand fully what is going on. I think whenever I feel unsure about something just being able to tell them and make sure that we are on the same page, I think that is huge and it really starts in meetings and then we take it to the practice field and it makes it that much easier in the games. It really just comes with time and preparation and reps. 

On if the team’s mentality ever changes to think past one week…

We always try to look at everything one week at a time, that's really our mindset and I don't think it's going to change. 

On not overlooking a team because of their record...

Well, first of all I think every team in the NFL is really, really good and especially when you go and play on the road at Cincinnati, it's a tough place to play. For us, it's really just continuing to focus one week at a time and once we get rolling, once we start watching the tape and going throughout practice, we are going to be dialed in to what they are doing, just like any other week. That's really where our mindset is and it doesn't change at all. 

On how the offensive line has protected him the past few weeks...

Yeah, they've been great. They have just been communicating so well. They are sync with each other right now and it's really fun to be able to be behind those guys and know that I am all good. Usually, especially with the sack, it definitely was a coverage sack, a ball that I would have hoped to throw away in the future if that opportunity comes up, but they have been doing a great job these last few weeks and I know they are not satisfied either, they are going to continue to get better and they've been awesome so far. 

On Kelvin Beachum bouncing back after getting beaten up throughout the season and what it means to the team...

That's just who he is. He's the kind of guy, if things aren't going well, he's the typical guy that is just like "Hey, so what, now what, what do I have to do to help this team win?" and that's all he is going to do. He is just a really good leader, really good teammate and he's been battling, like you said he's been battling through some stuff this year and he is going to continue to do that and we recognize it too. He's being a great leader for us and a great captain.

I watched a few replays available on youtube and I love the way the kid rolls out, checks down receivers and didn't make hasty decisions. Could it be that we have a real NFL QB?   Could you imagine?

We all thought we had one in Pennington and Sanchez.  Maybe third time is a charm.

1 hour ago, varjet said:

This has to be a Johnson thing. Players started based on who was paid more, not who was better.  

Nah, that's a cop out, and I'm not buying it.  No one batted an eye at Williams benching Johnson (before he even got hurt), who's getting paid far more than any of these other guys.  The forcing of veterans into the lineup has been exclusively an offensive thing this season, and goes right along with Gase's prior track record from Miami as well.  I get if folks want to be a bit more optimistic after the past few weeks, but that doesn't mean excusing everything from the outright disastrous first half of the season either.