Report: Jets Could Look to Deal Bell and Adams This Off Season

JetNation

1 hour ago, shawn306 said:

Unless the Jets get the moon for Adams or Adams goes off the deep end.I can't see them trading him

I can't see anyone shelling out alot for Bell based on this year. Can't cut him because the dead money would be too much

So unless the Jets are willing to take nickles on the dollar I don't see Bell going anywhere either

Do you trade Bell for a 3rd?

28 minutes ago, playtowinthegame said:

I would only trade Jamal Adam's for a blockbuster deal that brings back a 1st and a 2nd round pick in 2020.

Next trade Bell for a 3rd round pick. Now the Jets pick twice in the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd rounds. That's six draft picks in the top 100. 

Seven. We’re getting the second pick in the third round thanks to the genius of Dave Gettlemen.

• Upvote 4

2 minutes ago, Jets723 said:

Gase doesn’t want Bell so it’s clear he is gone.  What sucks is that between his cap hit and the terrible way he has been used he has no value.  As for Adams,  the only way I consider trading him is if we are getting at least a first and a second

and you ain't getting that for a safety.

41 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Here's an alternative thought:  Have our GM find a new pass rusher to compliment Jordan Jenkins?  Crazy idea, I know.  

Jamal being our best pass rusher is not a sustainable plan.  Nor is eventually paying him $15M+ a year to handle that role.  

Pass rusher is a premium position. We can't  seriously expect to get one in the 3rd round.

Alao, why is it not sustainable? It all depends on the skill sets of the LB and S. If LB can cover, there is no problem rushing from the S position. Also, Adams is really good at rushing the passer,  why would you not use him like that?

3 hours ago, rangerous said:

when a team is 5-8 and possibly heading to 5-11 there aren't many keepers and usually quite a few holes.  these trade rumors shouldn't surprise anyone although losing young proven players for the crap shoot that is the draft must be carefully considered.

There is nothing wrong with Adams or Bell.   The problem is Gase.   He is in possession of the ultimate HC flaw.  He's glued to one way and one system regardless of the manpower he as to work with.  A good coach *NEVER* picks up where he left off last time, or left off last season for that matter,  Parcells would always say it.  "We are starting new."  Even if just a few starters on your roster change during the off season, you have a *NEW* team and you have *NEW AND DIFFERENT* opposition.  

This guy Gase has his offense in a shoe box and he thinks he can 'port it over to where ever and when ever he goes.  Not only does he think he can do it, this guy is *ADDICTED* to it.

He does not know what the hell to do with LeVeon Bell and it is becoming obvious that he does not know or care what to do with Sam Darnold.

Johnson is hoodwinked mostly because he too does not know his ass from his elbow.  

What that means for us ???

Another year of dysfunction, and quite probably the destruction of young Sam Darnold.

The Jets finally get some luck and what could be a true franchise QB falls into their lap, but stupid sh*t management decisions will see it all flushed down the toilet.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

The draft is a lot easier to nail when your GM isn't a glorified area scout who never will have a job of significance in the NFL ever again.  

i don't think a glorified scout whose good at scouting would've touched hackenberg or made so many bad draft picks.  it's one thing to pick players that don't fit a team's needs.  it's something completely different to simply miss getting good players.

24 minutes ago, THE BARON said:

There is nothing wrong with Adams or Bell.   The problem is Gase.   He is in possession of the ultimate HC flaw.  He's glued to one way and one system regardless of the manpower he as to work with.  A good coach *NEVER* picks up where he left off last time, or left off last season for that matter,  Parcells would always say it.  "We are starting new."  Even if just a few starters on your roster change during the off season, you have a *NEW* team and you have *NEW AND DIFFERENT* opposition.  

This guy Gase has his offense in a shoe box and he thinks he can 'port it over to where ever and when ever he goes.  Not only does he think he can do it, this guy is *ADDICTED* to it.

He does not know what the hell to do with LeVeon Bell and it is becoming obvious that he does not know or care what to do with Sam Darnold.

Johnson is hoodwinked mostly because he too does not know his ass from his elbow.  

What that means for us ???

Another year of dysfunction, and quite probably the destruction of young Sam Darnold.

The Jets finally get some luck and what could be a true franchise QB falls into their lap, but stupid sh*t management decisions will see it all flushed down the toilet.

there may be something good in all this.  by keeping with his scheme gase is finding out which of the current players fit best so it should be easier to cull the team.  from what i see, running game aside, the receivers are getting open.  darnold is making good passes and is getting dropped a lot by wide open guys.

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, rangerous said:

there may be something good in all this.  by keeping with his scheme gase is finding out which of the current players fit best so it should be easier to cull the team.  from what i see, running game aside, the receivers are getting open.  darnold is making good passes and is getting dropped a lot by wide open guys.

It is hard to find good, proven players.  Especially very talented ones like Bell.  You don't piss away good players.  You take advantage of them by putting them in the best position to utilize their skills.

Gase thinks the best place for Bell is on the bench.

Gase is a moron.

35 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

Pass rusher is a premium position. We can't  seriously expect to get one in the 3rd round.

Alao, why is it not sustainable? It all depends on the skill sets of the LB and S. If LB can cover, there is no problem rushing from the S position. Also, Adams is really good at rushing the passer,  why would you not use him like that?

Almost no LB can cover.  Times we have tried it this year we have been burned badly.

• Upvote 2

The Jets supposedly turned down a first round pick for Adams before the trade deadline, so I don't see Jamal getting traded unless they get some insane offer. The coaching staff loves him.

I can see Bell being moved for sure. Signing him while ignoring the O-Line was stupid. If they can get decent value in exchange for him I think they'll do it.

45 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

It might not happen in this draft, though of course trading for more picks can help make that happen.  

Adams is good at rushing the passer primarily because he's an atypical blitzer.  If we used him exclusively in that role, you'd see offenses starting to adjust.  Meanwhile, our secondary would be short-handed.  

You complain that we shouldn't trade Adams because it would create a need.  Adams operating primarily around the LOS already creates a need.  

2 hours ago, Jetster said:

Great point. And with their 3rd QB the Steelers & that good offensive line are in the playoff hunt. Bell is a luxury without enough return. His contract would be better served giving it to Scherff & drafting a RB or signing a much cheaper veteran. I love Adams determination on the field but the only way you get the most compensation is trading him now under his rookie deal. Once a team has to give picks & a contract? Forget it. 

Im sorry but I don't want to pay a safety 15 million ever. 

I would rather keep Adams and Anderson over Bell

• Sympathy 1

7 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

It might not happen in this draft, though of course trading for more picks can help make that happen.  

Adams is good at rushing the passer primarily because he's an atypical blitzer.  If we used him exclusively in that role, you'd see offenses starting to adjust.  Meanwhile, our secondary would be short-handed.  

You complain that we shouldn't trade Adams because it would create a need.  Adams operating primarily around the LOS already creates a need.  

this and he's average in coverage anyway.  

i think douglass will actively shop adams in the offseason, given that 1) he doesn't want to pay him what adams is going to command, 2) he's a pain in the neck on twitter when anything doesn't go his way, 3) he's not the impact player you pay top dollar for, and 4) douglass can turn adams into a good wr or LT prospect with another first round pick.

• Upvote 2

36 minutes ago, rangerous said:

i don't think a glorified scout whose good at scouting would've touched hackenberg or made so many bad draft picks.  it's one thing to pick players that don't fit a team's needs.  it's something completely different to simply miss getting good players.

He sucks at being a scout in addition to all the other things he sucks at.  

1 hour ago, Jet Life said:

Could walk away with an explosive WR, RB and some OL with this haul. No brainer. 

Think about that. Ask yourself this question, is there any Jet fan here that believes we can be a Super Bowl contender next year? not squeak into the playoffs, WIN A SUPER BOWL. If the answer is no, why all this fuss about Bell? Screw him, if we can get a haul like you talk about above it would absolutely be worth dumping him for a 3rd rounder. Bell isn't gonna get better each year. That's why I'm totally against changing the offense (3 games left) to suit Le'veon Bells running style. Gase got rid of Macc for these types of JETSY free agent signings. Is there anyone on this board that believes Bill Belichick would pay a RB what we paid Bell? Anyone? 

Barry Sanders was a helluva back, Earl Campbell, Eric Dickerson, LT, go look at the RBs on the last 10 Super Bowl teams. Cry all you want about Gase not kowtowing to an expensive player he didn't want. The guy is RIGHT!

1 minute ago, Jetster said:

Think about that. Ask yourself this question, is there any Jet fan here that believes we can be a Super Bowl contender next year? not squeak into the playoffs, WIN A SUPER BOWL. If the answer is no, why all this fuss about Bell? Screw him, if we can get a haul like you talk about above it would absolutely be worth dumping him for a 3rd rounder. Bell isn't gonna get better each year.

This was a good argument against signing Bell in the first place.  Since we're stuck with him, I'd rather not just give him away coming off a bad season. 

Bell's value as a safety blanket in the passing game, even for 1 more season, exceeds the value of a late 3rd in my mind.  And that's if anyone would give us a 3rd in the first place.  We might be looking at a 4th at best.  

Just now, Jetsfan80 said:

This was a good argument against signing Bell in the first place.  Since we're stuck with him, I'd rather not just give him away coming off a bad season. 

Bell's value as a safety blanket in the passing game, even for 1 more season, exceeds the value of a late 3rd in my mind.  And that's if anyone would give us a 3rd in the first place.  We might be looking at a 4th at best.  

It wouldn't shock me if we could get a late 2 for Bell.  If we can walk away with a 1st, 2nd and 3rd for a combo of Bell and Adams, I'd be ecstatic.  

• Sympathy 1

Just now, nj meadowlands said:

It wouldn't shock me if we could get a late 2 for Bell. 

I would.  Why would any team give us a 2 for Bell now when they could have easily signed him last offseason?  If he had an amazing season for us I could see that.  But his stock hasn't gone up 1 year after really just us and the Colts seriously competed for his services.  

3 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I would.  Why would any team give us a 2 for Bell now when they could have easily signed him last offseason?  If he had an amazing season for us I could see that.  But his stock hasn't gone up 1 year after really just us and the Colts seriously competed for his services.  

Because his contract isn't unpalatable at all, and he's shown he still has an elite skill set, which, behind a professional caliber offensive line and a competent playcaller, could take a team that's actually #good to the next level. 

38 minutes ago, nj meadowlands said:

Because his contract isn't unpalatable at all, and he's shown he still has an elite skill set, which, behind a professional caliber offensive line and a competent playcaller, could take a team that's actually #good to the next level. 

Again, all of that was considered last offseason and only us and the Colts showed serious interest.  The market spoke, and nothing has really changed regarding his value except he's a year older.

I'm not saying he won't draw any interest, I'm just saying I think a low 3 is the absolute most any team would give up.  I hope I'm wrong, because I'd be ecstatic to deal him for a 2.

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Come on, seriously. Adams is not rushing the passer every play, it's situational. He does rush more than others but SS typically are not in coverage that much because they primarily  cover RB's and TE's. There is no reason we can't  use him the way we are.

Just now, More Cowbell said:

Come on, seriously. Adams is not rushing the passer every play, it's situational. He does rush more than others but SS typically are not in coverage that much because they primarily  cover RB's and TE's. There is no reason we can't  use him the way we are.

I'm not against using him the way we are currently.  I AM against keeping him and then paying him $15M a year to do that.  

The argument FOR trading Adams has never been his play, his leadership, his off-field behavior, etc.  He's a Pro Bowler and a leader on defense.  The argument is that the Jets have many other deficiencies and need Draft picks.  In my opinion, that's a LOUSY reason to trade a great player....yes, even if that player plays a position that some people don't view as valuable.

If I'm the Jets I look at other ways including trading down in the 1st round to accumulate some additional picks (say a 2nd and 4th), in order to get myself a starting OG prospect and a WR2.  There are ways to get Draft picks, especially since the Jets are no longer clamoring for a Top 3 position to get a franchise QB.

Joe Douglas has a lot of work to do and it won't all get done in one offseason.  But trading your one true difference maker on Defense just to plug some other holes isn't the way to do it IMO.

• Sympathy 1

3 hours ago, chirorob said:

Do you trade Bell for a 3rd?

Yes

3 hours ago, Philc1 said:

Absolutely that’s more than his market value 

Yes

2 hours ago, shawn306 said:

If a team is offering me a third I would take it and run.

Yes....

2 hours ago, Greenbloodblitz said:

I would rather keep Adams and Anderson over Bell

And yes.

I like Bell and I think with an improved OLine he could be better in this offense, but I wouldn't be married to the guy, especially at his price.  Teams are finding quality starting RBs (although not elite ones like Bell) in Rounds 2 and 3 of the Draft.  If I could move Bell for a 3rd I'd absolutely do that and I'd be okay falling back on Powell, Montgomery and Adams until we see what FA and the Draft offer in terms of a young upgrade.

• Upvote 1

Let’s think about the two flawed characters in this process, the Johnsons and Gase.

• The Johnsons generally either avoid paying big contracts to their draft picks, or it works out poorly when they do.   Do you think the Johnsons want to pay Adams $15mm to play safety, and potentially pay it next year?  I don’t.  How did Wilkerson work out?  Williams?  Revis?  At least Revis they got draft picks for.  
  • At some point in time the Jets are going to pick players in the first round that they would like to sign long-term.  Darnold-he will be signed.  Adams, Quinnen?  Probably not.
  • It will take years to work out Mac’s bad signings and draft picks.  It did not make sense to sign Bell either.  If the Jets can shed some contract money and get a draft pick, they will do that. 
  • Ultimately, I think JD takes draft picks and builds the offense, and let’s the defense make do without Adams.  The Cowboys are cued up to take Adams.   When playing poker you need to find the sucker.  I think the Cowboys are the sucker in the Adams trade.
  • Don’t know whether there is a sucker to take Bell in a way that works for the Jets, but we should try.   The Steelers should have taken him back.  History will show that both the Cowboys and Steelers would have been better off in 2019 trading for Adams and Bell, respectively.