Report: Jets Could Look to Deal Bell and Adams This Off Season

JetNation

Jamal Adams

While the New York Jets are in need of several upgrades on offense (and a couple spots on defense), there’s a rumor making the rounds that say the team could look to move arguably their top player on each side of the ball in running back Le’Veon Bell and safety/edge rusher Jamal Adams this off season.

It’s  a topic we’ve discussed regularly on JetNation Radio ever since the NFL trade deadline saw both Adams and Bell come up in trade talks, but now it’s coming from a person that SNY refers to as an insider in Ralph Vacchiano.  Whether or not Vacciano is plugged in or is just taking a guess is neither here nor there, because dealing either one or both players makes sense for a few reasons.

In the case of Bell, the Jets are hamstrung with a head coach who can’t figure out a way to get him involved in the offense.  Adam Gase didn’t want Bell to begin with and he showed the world this weekend that he has no issues running the football as long as Bell isn’t suited up.  Bell might be one of the most dynamic offensive players in the NFL, but that doesn’t mean Adam Gase has to give him the football if his game plan doesn’t call for it.

Given the fact that he had last season off and has only carried the ball on a part-time basis this year, you have to believe Bell has a few good seasons left in him.  The Jets could move on from him and find a runner that Gase can use while adding a third round pick in exchange for Bell while likely picking up a chunk of his salary.

Meanwhile, Adams did plenty of damage to his own reputation as a leader in the locker room when he publicly bashed his GM for picking up the phone when the Dallas Cowboys made a trade offer at the deadline.  In the days that followed, multiple reports claimed that the Jets made no calls to shop Adams, but the safety continued to tell the media that the team was actively shopping him.  After a few acrimonious days, Adams met with team officials and has played nice ever since.

It wouldn’t be beyond the realm of possibility that the Jets learned of Adams’ desire to play for the Dallas Cowboys and suggested he play at a level that would entice Dallas (or some other club) to give up what the Jets would consider fair value.  Ever since Adams met with Jets brass he’s been lighting up the stat sheet and praising his head coach and GM for whom he had previously voiced a lack of trust.

Adams is a rare player who has the ability to get to the quarterback, stuff the run and cover out of the slot and on the boundary from time to time.  He might be the only player in the NFL who can do all of those things at the level he does them.  That being said, if the Jets aren’t looking to pay Adams somewhere in the $15 million per year range, that could be an additional driving force in considering a deal.

Should Joe Douglas find a taker for Adams and Bell, he would likely be heading in to draft day with at least one first round pick and a pair of third rounders, giving him the opportunity to re-build his offensive line while trying to find an edge rusher and cornerback.

Should be an interesting off-season, Jets fans.

The post Report: Jets Could Look to Deal Bell and Adams This Off Season appeared first on JetNation.com (NY Jets Blog & Forum).

Jetnationcom?d=yIl2AUoC8zA Jetnationcom?d=qj6IDK7rITs
GMpPLrKg-FE

Click here to read the full story...

Click bait story. Of course they open to making deals if the price is right. The timing for signing Bell with no Oline was stupid in hindsight, and Adams, though a top safety doesn't move the needle enough to warrant a 15 million dollar salary. 

I loved Parcells take on the media in NY...Subversive from within. That's why NY is a tough place to play. The fans themselves are incredibly critical & the media wants nothing but turmoil. These guys go from kissing the coaches azzes to wanted them hung in the town square..and that's week to week.

17 minutes ago, rangerous said:

when a team is 5-8 and possibly heading to 5-11 there aren't many keepers and usually quite a few holes.  these trade rumors shouldn't surprise anyone although losing young proven players for the crap shoot that is the draft must be carefully considered.

True. Based on the averages for third round picks, it would be pretty safe to assume that the Jets may get one starter out of two picks if they're very good at drafting. So in effect, they would be giving one of these players away for essentially nothing. I was in the camp for giving Gase a chance, but I have to say that his handling of Bell has been absolutely terrible. Bell has three outstanding talents: he's a great runner, with patience, he has excellent hands as a receiver, and he's one of the best blocking RB's in the league. So the OL is terrible, taking away one of those talents. Why on earth isn't Gase using Bell as a receiving back far more precisely to offset the incompetence of the OL? It appears as if Gase is being spiteful rather than smart. He's not going to make Bell a success, since he wasn't his man. That's patently idiotic and petty. I hope I'm wrong, but based on the play calling I've seen, I fear it's correct.

20 minutes ago, Long Island Leprechaun said:

True. Based on the averages for third round picks, it would be pretty safe to assume that the Jets may get one starter out of two picks if they're very good at drafting. So in effect, they would be giving one of these players away for essentially nothing. I was in the camp for giving Gase a chance, but I have to say that his handling of Bell has been absolutely terrible. Bell has three outstanding talents: he's a great runner, with patience, he has excellent hands as a receiver, and he's one of the best blocking RB's in the league. So the OL is terrible, taking away one of those talents. Why on earth isn't Gase using Bell as a receiving back far more precisely to offset the incompetence of the OL? It appears as if Gase is being spiteful rather than smart. He's not going to make Bell a success, since he wasn't his man. That's patently idiotic and petty. I hope I'm wrong, but based on the play calling I've seen, I fear it's correct.

bell has 55 catches and has been thrown to 67 times so far.  he's not being that ignored.  he's getting about 15 touches per game and he probably needs 20-25 to be effective.  i don't think gase is being spiteful it's just that he's trying to run his scheme and right now it's not a good fit for bell.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, rangerous said:

when a team is 5-8 and possibly heading to 5-11 there aren't many keepers and usually quite a few holes.  these trade rumors shouldn't surprise anyone although losing young proven players for the crap shoot that is the draft must be carefully considered.

Every GM overestimates his drafting prowess. You want a GM with that kind of confidence but as you wisely state, we must consider carefully.

• Upvote 1

I must defend the head coach here as I do not believe it's his fault. Seriously I think it's a catch-22 so hear me out.

I think that every defense knows that when Le'Veon Bell is on the field he's getting the ball. So basically all they have to do is Rush behind the line and try to stuff him and or smother Sam Darnold.

We don't have the power blocking scheme that the Steelers had not even close. So putting number 26 on the field basically hinders our chances of moving the ball forward. With a mediocre to poor offensive line and no real other offensive weapons, we might as well just put the quarterback and running back out there alone.

Again it's just blatantly obvious when he gets on the field oh, they pitch him the ball and he gets swarmed and goes nowhere. I don't think it's that the coach doesn't want to use him, I think football is about deception, bluffing and surprises. When you put Bell on the field you basically just show your hand and we don't have the troops to take defenses head-on and play Smash Mouth football.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

Unless the Jets get the moon for Adams or Adams goes off the deep end.I can't see them trading him

I can't see anyone shelling out alot for Bell based on this year. Can't cut him because the dead money would be too much

So unless the Jets are willing to take nickles on the dollar I don't see Bell going anywhere either

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

19 minutes ago, Greenbloodblitz said:

I must defend the head coach here as I do not believe it's his fault. Seriously I think it's a catch-22 so hear me out.

I think that every defense knows that when Le'Veon Bell is on the field he's getting the ball. So basically all they have to do is Rush behind the line and try to stuff him and or smother Sam Darnold.

We don't have the power blocking scheme that the Steelers had not even close. So putting number 26 on the field basically hinders our chances of moving the ball forward. With a mediocre to poor offensive line and no real other offensive weapons, we might as well just put the quarterback and running back out there alone.

Again it's just blatantly obvious when he gets on the field oh, they pitch him the ball and he gets swarmed and goes nowhere. I don't think it's that the coach doesn't want to use him, I think football is about deception, bluffing and surprises. When you put Bell on the field you basically just show your hand and we don't have the troops to take defenses head-on and play Smash Mouth football.

Great point. And with their 3rd QB the Steelers & that good offensive line are in the playoff hunt. Bell is a luxury without enough return. His contract would be better served giving it to Scherff & drafting a RB or signing a much cheaper veteran. I love Adams determination on the field but the only way you get the most compensation is trading him now under his rookie deal. Once a team has to give picks & a contract? Forget it. 

Im sorry but I don't want to pay a safety 15 million ever. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, rangerous said:

bell has 55 catches and has been thrown to 67 times so far.  he's not being that ignored.  he's getting about 15 touches per game and he probably needs 20-25 to be effective.  i don't think gase is being spiteful it's just that he's trying to run his scheme and right now it's not a good fit for bell.

Totally agree. His style doesn’t work at all with the way this team is presently constructed. He makes a ton of money and will be hard to move. For that reason I wouldn’t be at all shocked if he’s back next year. But NO. It’s not an ego or a personal thing that he’s being used the way he is.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

1 minute ago, Jethead said:

Let's trade our two best players so we can get better. After all, the draft is easy to figure out. Would be classically stupid if you ask me 

More and more evidence is piling up that Gase is toxic and must go.

The draft is a lot easier to nail when your GM isn't a glorified area scout who never will have a job of significance in the NFL ever again.  

I think the best thing the Jets have going for them right now is JD hasn't  drafted anyone so there are no bad picks to point out as you can point to in some FA acquisitions. We are talking about getting a third round pick for a proven player. It isn't  frequent you get third round picks with Bell's  talent level. What has been pointed out in thos article is Bell isn't  the problem,  it's  Gase's inability to properly use him. That is more a reason to change plays to ones that suit Bell, not get rid of him. Bell didn't  put on a Jets uniform  and forgot how to run a football. AAMOF, we have seen the same brillance on some plays that Bell had in Pit. 

There is no need to trade Bell or Adams. Bell helps Sam, Adams helos the pass rush. We can't  do without either. 

Just now, More Cowbell said:

There is no need to trade Bell or Adams. Bell helps Sam, Adams helps the pass rush. We can't  do without either. 

Only moderately.  And by helping out in the pass rush, he puts added strain on the secondary.  

We need pass rushers to be pass rushers, and Safeties to be Safeties.  We also need a brand new Offensive Line.  That need outweighs anything Adams brings to the table.  Get the right package of picks and we absolutely CAN do without the great Jamal Adams.  

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, KINGDIRK said:

What Round draft pick do people think Bell will Net us? No more than a 4th rounder IMO

Since there wasn't much of a market last offseason for Le'Veon when he was a year younger and available on the open market, I can't imagine there being much of a trade market for him 1 year later coming off a bad season (even if it isn't his fault).  

A late 3rd is about the best we could hope for.  

Adams is really the only trade of significance I could see happening in the offseason.  I doubt Bell is going anywhere.  The same is likely true for Quinnen Williams.  

2 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Since there wasn't much of a market last offseason for Le'Veon when he was a year younger and available on the open market, I can't imagine there being much of a trade market for him 1 year later coming off a bad season (even if it isn't his fault).  

A late 3rd is about the best we could hope for.  

Adams is really the only trade of significance I could see happening in the offseason.  I doubt Bell is going anywhere.  The same is likely true for Quinnen Williams.  

Well at this point he can rap and bowl better then he can run the ball so you have a pretty valid point there. 

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Only moderately.  And by helping out in the pass rush, he puts added strain on the secondary.  

We need pass rushers to be pass rushers, and Safeties to be Safeties.  We also need a brand new Offensive Line.  That need outweighs anything Adams brings to the table.  Get the right package of picks and we absolutely CAN do without the great Jamal Adams.  

It depends how you bring him. S doesn't  have a player they are assigned to, they read the O and make a decision to play run, drop, or rush. Adams has made the right choice more so than the wrong one so i really don't  think the pass coverage is suffering because he is rushing. 

Also my point is the closest thing we have to a pass rusher is Jenkins and that is pretty sad. We can't  give up on the best pass rusher we have. You create a new hole to fill another. 

3 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

Also my point is the closest thing we have to a pass rusher is Jenkins and that is pretty sad. We can't  give up on the best pass rusher we have. You create a new hole to fill another. 

Here's an alternative thought:  Have our GM find a new pass rusher to compliment Jordan Jenkins?  Crazy idea, I know.  

Jamal being our best pass rusher is not a sustainable plan.  Nor is eventually paying him $15M+ a year to handle that role.  

11 minutes ago, playtowinthegame said:

I would only trade Jamal Adam's for a blockbuster deal that brings back a 1st and a 2nd round pick in 2020.

Next trade Bell for a 3rd round pick. Now the Jets pick twice in the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd rounds. That's six draft picks in the top 100. 

Could walk away with an explosive WR, RB and some OL with this haul. No brainer. 

2 hours ago, rangerous said:

I agree.  Watching Powell against the Fins, he seemed more effective at just hitting the hole and getting what was there.  Bell's style requires the OL hold their blocks longer and we don't have the talent for that...

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1