Trading Up

SR24

It's no secret we need an OT and as these mock drafts keep flying out the one thing I'm noticing is how far apart the Tier 1 OT's (Wills,Thomas and Wirfs) are from the Tier 2 OT's. Based on who's ahead of us I'd say 5 teams are in the mix for the 3 OTs (DET,CLE,NYG,JAX and ARI)  Having said that would you trade our #11 and #79 to Arizona for #8? Or the same trade to Jax but we'd receieve a later pick to get #9. Our chance at an OT greatly increases but if we somehow miss out we should have Jeudy or Lamb there as well.  

https://www.drafttek.com/NFL-Trade-Value-Chart.asp

I used this to make the trade 

Edit- I personally wouldn't make this trade before yall start flaming me lol but I think it's a fair question given our needs and the way the OL talent in the draft is starting to come together

• Thumb Down 4
  • WTF? 2

4 minutes ago, Warfish said:

This.

My preference this offseason is a proper rebuild.  Shake loose under-performing, old, luxury position, and/or overpriced talent, and rebuild from the trenches up.

I strongly support trading Adams (a luxury position soon to be overpriced) for multiple picks including at least one #1 pick.

I strongly support picking BAP WR/O-Line at the spots we have.  Trade downs are generally a pipe dream in many drafts, so while it would be nice to move down and still get what we want, I don't think it'll happen.

First four rounds, we should be able to get three O-linemen and two WR's if we trade Adams.  I make that move in a heartbeat.

I lean this way as well and would 100% trade Jamal. My question is what do you do at 11 if Lamb,Jeudy and the 3 OTs are gone?  There's no OT with a 1st round grade and the top centers have late 1st round early 2nd rnd grades. I'd gladly take Epenesa but I know half of the people on here would lose their minds lol

3 minutes ago, Warfish said:

This.

My preference this offseason is a proper rebuild.  Shake loose under-performing, old, luxury position, and/or overpriced talent, and rebuild from the trenches up.

I strongly support trading Adams (a luxury position soon to be overpriced) for multiple picks including at least one #1 pick.

I strongly support picking BAP WR/O-Line at the spots we have.  Trade downs are generally a pipe dream in many drafts, so while it would be nice to move down and still get what we want, I don't think it'll happen.

First four rounds, we should be able to get three O-linemen and two WR's if we trade Adams.  I make that move in a heartbeat.

Me too. It's so Jets to finally draft a guy who is both All Pro and Pro Bowl, but he's not a pass rusher, Olineman  or skill offensive guy.

2 minutes ago, section314 said:

Me too. It's so Jets to finally draft a guy who is both All Pro and Pro Bowl, but he's not a pass rusher, Olineman  or skill offensive guy.

Yep it sucks but if I can get #18 from Dallas and #82 I'm pulling the trigger. 2 1sts, a 2nd and 3 3rd round picks+ 30-40 mil in cap space can go a long long way into rebuilding our offense, as well as improving our edge and cb rooms

• Upvote 1

I wouldn’t be against trading one of our 3rd’s to move up.

I generally agree that we need more picks, not less.

But let’s face it, it’s far from guaranteed that one of the top OT’s or WR’s falls to us.

If we could trade that 3rd rounder from the Giants along with #11 and move up to #7 or #8 thus virtually guaranteeing that we walk away with either Thomas, Wirfs, Wills, Jeudy or Lamb...then why not?

What will it have cost us? Moving on from Leonard Williams?

• Upvote 2

25 minutes ago, RoadFan said:

Stay put. 

Take the best available player at a core position of need;  OL, CB, edge rusher, WR.

Not the supposed best player available,  period.  That philosophy obviously doesn't work.  There are enough lousy franchises selecting ahead of the Jets, one or two of them will do something silly... allowing quality players to slip.

Exactly and get an immediate impact player. 

32 minutes ago, SR24 said:

I lean this way as well and would 100% trade Jamal. My question is what do you do at 11 if Lamb,Jeudy and the 3 OTs are gone? 

I'm not going to worry about that till it happens, because I do not believe, when all is said and done, that it is going to happen.

If it does, you look at BAP WR/O-Line in that spot first.

If there is literally nothing that isn't a huge reach, you look Edge perhaps?  Or trade down (doubtful).

I've said it before, I'll also take a "late 1st round grade" O-Lineman over a "mid-first round grade" player at a position we do not need.  But too many variables at this point, it's too early to be definitive.

32 minutes ago, SR24 said:

There's no OT with a 1st round grade and the top centers have late 1st round early 2nd rnd grades. I'd gladly take Epenesa but I know half of the people on here would lose their minds lol

• Sympathy 1

36 minutes ago, section314 said:

I'll say this:  Adams is a good pass rusher and forces fumbles well.  He's not as good (IMO) in coverage and he flat out sucks at making INT's.

If we want to pay him, and keep him, fine, but move him to EDGE/OLB and get the most out of him at what he's truly good at.  Stopping the run and rushing the passer.  

Then put someone who really is good in coverage back at the other Safety spot.  The "Strong Safety" concept doesn't really exist like it used to, most teams use two coverage safeties these days, rightfully so in a pure passing-driven league.

Adams is an anachronism.  If we're going to keep him, convert him to OLB/EDGE, let him cover the occasional TE, and have him rushing from every angle on most plays.

JMO, /shrug.

• Thumb Down 1

As much as I'm against trading Jamal, I'd trade him to acquire more picks before I'm trading picks away to move up in the draft.  This is a deep draft at OL and WR.  The Jets should legitimately come away with 3 potential starters on OL and 2 potential starters at WR in the first 4 rounds.  

• Sympathy 1

33 minutes ago, FTL Jet Fan said:

Same sh*t every year trade up or trade down. We have no idea what these guys will do, however some poster would have drafted better than past GM’s.

Well it is an inconvenient truth the last sentence of yours.  I would not even say 'some poster'.  I would say 95% of all posters on this site that even remotely follow the draft would have drafted better than mccagnan over his 5 year period.  I am being totally serious.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

It's funny. I'm dead set against trading Adams, unless it's to trade up for a Chase Young. All the other trade scenarios runs the huge risk of obtaining non-contributors or average NFL talent. You trade an Adams, you want as close to a sure thing as possible.

7 minutes ago, Warfish said:

If we want to pay him, and keep him, fine, but move him to EDGE/OLB and get the most out of him at what he's truly good at.  Stopping the run and rushing the passer.

Two things... 

First, officially moving Adams to OLB/Edge would significantly increase his salary demands (the franchise number for a DE was over $17M last year, OLB over $15M, and safety just over $11M). 

Second, I suspect Mosley and Williamson coming back will change the way they (need to) use Adams next season. 

• Upvote 2

I do think that is a viable possibility. Wouldn’t like it but I’d get it. And it’s easy to see how the board falls and make that call.

I think it’s also possible that Douglas really likes an athletic tackle - Jackson, Jones - and trades down to grab him. Basically try to replicate what Philly did last year.

4 minutes ago, slats said:

Two things... 

First, officially moving Adams to OLB/Edge would significantly increase his salary demands (the franchise number for a DE was over $17M last year, OLB over $15M, and safety just over $11M). 

Second, I suspect Mosley and Williamson coming back will change the way they (need to) use Adams next season. 

You're quite right on salary.  But if he is as good as an elite Edge, and he might just be, it's worth it regardless of if it's him playing Edge or some draft or FA edge, right?

I agree fully on point #2, with a full healthy LB Corp Adams will have to move back to playing Safety and his production will (likely) materially decline in 2020 barring yet more injuries.  JMO.

1 hour ago, SR24 said:

It's no secret we need an OT and as these mock drafts keep flying out the one thing I'm noticing is how far apart the Tier 1 OT's (Wills,Thomas and Wirfs) are from the Tier 2 OT's. Based on who's ahead of us I'd say 5 teams are in the mix for the 3 OTs (DET,CLE,NYG,JAX and ARI)  Having said that would you trade our #11 and #79 to Arizona for #8? Or the same trade to Jax but we'd receieve a later pick to get #9. Our chance at an OT greatly increases but if we somehow miss out we should have Jeudy or Lamb there as well.  

Edit- I personally wouldn't make this trade before yall start flaming me lol but I think it's a fair question given our needs and the way the OL talent in the draft is starting to come together

Nope.

I've said this in a couple threads in the Draft Forum.  If we miss on the Tier 1 OT's then we need to "take what the Draft gives us" which will likely be a WR or a trade-down opportunity because some other good players slide down the Board.  If anything, I'd support a trade up possibly from the 2nd round spot (#48).  Let's say the best OT's are gone before #11 and someone like CeeDee Lamb is on the Board.....great player, Top 10 talent, position of need....he checks all the boxes.  The Jets should take him and then start looking at ways to climb from #48 into the range that could get them one of the second Tier OT's like Jackson, Becton, Prince Wanogho, etc.  I don't want to give up a lot....maybe that later 3rd rounder, but if it gets us a potential starting LT then make the move.  Checking off both WR and LT, and still having one of the 3rd round picks to hit OG, Edge, CB is something I'd be fine with.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, SR24 said:

Trading up is the worst possible thing, we can’t afford to lose picks.  If possible we should look to gain more picks 

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, SR24 said:

For a possible franchise QB it would be worth the extra pick. With the amount of players that dont live up to their high draft status I would not trade up for just about anyone. We need way too much. I would trade down if possible

7 minutes ago, Jets723 said:

Trading up is the worst possible thing, we can’t afford to lose picks.  If possible we should look to gain more picks 

Nothing else need be said.  Stay put at 11 or trade down

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Untouchable said:

I wouldn’t be against trading one of our 3rd’s to move up.

I generally agree that we need more picks, not less.

But let’s face it, it’s far from guaranteed that one of the top OT’s or WR’s falls to us.

If we could trade that 3rd rounder from the Giants along with #11 and move up to #7 or #8 thus virtually guaranteeing that we walk away with either Thomas, Wirfs, Wills, Jeudy or Lamb...then why not?

What will it have cost us? Moving on from Leonard Williams?

I can see the argument for trading up and for staying put. I'd stay at 11 and take Epenesa or Tee Higgins if we miss on the 3 OTs, as well as Jeudy and Lamb

Here's the thing... This team doesn't need a super star right now.  It's the same reason we should have traded down last year, even if we didn't get perfect value.  This looks even more true when you consider what we actually got at 3.  Very few posters here wouldn't like that pick back, I'd imagine.  Regardless, this team needs a lot of good players.  So, we can't afford to give up two opportunities to get two good players for one opportunity to get one good/great player.

The Top OT or WR doesn't make the Jets a good team.  A very good OT and WR gets us closer to that.  This offseason is about adding a lot of talent, IMO.  Not going after the "best" RB available, because we saw how well that worked out.

• Upvote 4