Combine News, Notes & Updates

Lith

IMO 40 times in shorts and a T shirt don't mean anything.

Put a helmet and shoulder pads on these guys and you'll have something to talk about.

Some 1000+ pound race horses will go wire to wire carrying 118 #.  Put 124 on him and it's oop.  Some can carry it, but most can't.  Suspect the added weight  and bulk will have  much more impact on a 200# man then on a 1000# horse

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, sec101row23 said:

It used to be anything in the 4.4’s was considered really fast, 4.5’s was considered more than fast enough.  Also, guys never really trained for the specific combine events like they do today.  Much of the reason the times are so much better now is because they train and practice how to come off the line.  Proper technique saves you a lot of time, but football players don’t line up like that in games, so it’s kinda meaningless for the most part.  

If they really wanted a useful drill, they should have the WRs run actual routes and time them running those.  Not only can you see how they run a route, but it separates the straight speed guys from the tacticians.  

Was listening to Pat Kirwan on Sirius XM yesterday, and he said he did exactly that when he was a scout/coach.

11 minutes ago, JTJet said:

Ok, another inside the combine tidbit. Definitely was NOT supposed to overhear this lol. 

-Loud talking agent, didnt catch his name, was talking to Tajae Sharpe FA WR on the Titans. Said Buffalo was aggressively inquiring about signing him for FA, as was New England and Green Bay, but Buffalo apparently has a hard on for the dude... 

... and now for the Jets part. Sharpe actually asked him if the Jets were interested because he wanted to play with Darnold (exact words). 

The agent told him that he wasnt sure yet but they had inquired, but cant know anything until the top tier FA WRs filter out, because the Jets expected to lose Robby and were targeting Watkins or Robinson

It was amazing to me, this guy was talking on speaker phone out loud with about 3 of us around. 

Interesting stuff. I am intrigued by Robinson. Like Sharpe also, who could be a great depth piece. Smart guy too, wanting to play with Sam.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, JTJet said:

Ok, another inside the combine tidbit. Definitely was NOT supposed to overhear this lol. 

-Loud talking agent, didnt catch his name, was talking to Tajae Sharpe FA WR on the Titans. Said Buffalo was aggressively inquiring about signing him for FA, as was New England and Green Bay, but Buffalo apparently has a hard on for the dude... 

... and now for the Jets part. Sharpe actually asked him if the Jets were interested because he wanted to play with Darnold (exact words). 

The agent told him that he wasnt sure yet but they had inquired, but cant know anything until the top tier FA WRs filter out, because the Jets expected to lose Robby and were targeting Watkins or Robinson

It was amazing to me, this guy was talking on speaker phone out loud with about 3 of us around. 

I really liked Sharpe coming out and I think he’d be an exciting signing. Hasn’t put it together in Tennessee, obviously, but he seems like the kind of guy who’s a value add

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, T0mShane said:

I really liked Sharpe coming out and I think he’d be an exciting signing. Hasn’t put it together in Tennessee, obviously, but he seems like the kind of guy who’s a value add

If they don't re-sign Robby, it's nice to know that Douglas and Gase seem to realize that signing guys who are proven failures with zero upside like Chaz Schilens, David Nelson, and those in similar molds, are not suitable replacements.  It's really refreshing to see us value the position in pre-draft work, show interest in guys who are young, have upside, and actually move the needle.  Sharpe is a good depth signing that won't stop you from adding a WR early in the draft.  I'm even more ecstatic to hear that they're interested in guys like Watkins (would love) and Robinson.  Those are two guys that, IMO, could be dependable starters with extremely high upside on any other team than KC, where they get lost in the mix as the 3rd and 4th options. 

I'd imagine Gase would use Sharpe and Robinson, in particular, the same way he used Albert Wilson in Miami, who didn't put up crazy numbers as a spot starter, but was incredibly effective for big plays in the time that he did get on the field.  Robby's real replacement, if they miss out on Watkins, will come via the draft.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, slats said:

I agree. 

I'd love for the Jets to rediscover a pass rush someday, but if their first four picks this year are two OL and two WRs, I’ll be pretty happy with how the draft is going. 

This should absolutely be the case. 

Rd 1: Ideally an OT (Wirfs, Thomas, Wills? Becton? Jones?) or if for some odd reason there is a run on OT's, grab Lamb or Jeudy.

Rd 2: WR if OT was the pick in Rd1....Higgins, Mims, Jefferson, someone of value should be there.

Rd 3: WR, OG, C, and possibly RB

Rd 4: OT, OG, CB, RB, WR

Draft for value after round 4

• Upvote 1

So, Patrick Queen and Kenneth Murray both pull up with what appear to be hamstring injuries.  On their second run after waiting around for a while to run.

If I am an agent, and my guy runs a solid first 40, I might advise my guy not to run, especially if there is a long delay between runs.

• Upvote 3

5 hours ago, JTJet said:

How’d you know he was talking to Sharpe? 

Did he say “Tajae Sharpe of the Titans! How the hell are ya!...now listen”?That would be awesome.

4 minutes ago, Lith said:

So, Patrick Queen and Kenneth Murray both pull up with what appear to be hamstring injuries.  On their second run after waiting around for a while to run.

If I am an agent, and my guy runs a solid first 40, I might advise my guy not to run, especially if there is a long delay between runs.

Once they have a good 1st run, they magically tweak a hamstring and don't have to do anymore drills #Cynic 

• Upvote 1

Just now, Sarge4Tide said:

Once they have a good 1st run, they magically tweak a hamstring and don't have to do anymore drills #Cynic 

No need to even fake an injury.  Simmons did the right thing.  Runs a 4.39 and is good with that.  I can't see his decision not to runa  2nd time hurting him in the eyes of scouts after putting up that time.

2 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

'The Prez' is going to be commentating along with Deion on the DBs tomorrow.

Not sure how he will do with the commentating, but it will make this thread awfully active tomorrow.

• Upvote 1