Combine News, Notes & Updates

Lith

33 minutes ago, RobR said:

Looking forward to this RB group because there is a bunch of them that I like. Curious to what Helaire runs.....I'm guessing 4.6. 

We need more draft picks because this is one of, if not the best offensive draft I can ever remember. 

good guess... he ran a 4.61

10 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

Does anyone else get the feeling we are in the middle of a paradigm shift with these combine results and have to reevaluate what are truly the "decent numbers"?

Eye popping numbers merely 5 years ago are almost becoming relatively routine.

It's always going to be a paradigm shift as players get bigger, faster (this one is debatable), and stronger.

I'm old enough to remember when 300lb. lineman started showing up on the scene.

• Upvote 4

54 minutes ago, Greensince69 said:

Before we get too excited about the numbers the real important part was the interviews,  Need someone smart that plays mean and loves football

Wirfs checks all the boxes there.  Great interview on Serius on Wednesday.  Very smart

• Sympathy 1

I think JD goes 

Round 1   OL

Round 2 Edge or CB

Round 3 OL and WR

Round 4 best available right through Round 6  he adds depth here.   Of course they have to meet the character standard of JD requirements.

1-4 could change if he trades down still OL is the top priority then Edge, CB , WR

• Upvote 1

I think after the numbers that have been put up, OL at #11 is a lock.  The top part of this OL class is very impressive.  Legitimate Blue Chip talent to be had early on.  The drop off is way steeper with them compared to the Wide Receivers too.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

4 hours ago, HawkeyeJet said:

Does anyone else get the feeling we are in the middle of a paradigm shift with these combine results and have to reevaluate what are truly the "decent numbers"?

IMO this is just one of the best drafts ever

17 hours ago, Greensince69 said:

Before we get too excited about the numbers the real important part was the interviews,  Need someone smart that plays mean and loves football

16 hours ago, Dcat said:

Wirfs checks all the boxes there.  Great interview on Serius on Wednesday.  Very smart

That's the only knock (if you want to call it that) that I heard of him ... that he doesn't play mean... that he doesn't have that mean streak... he says it's how his mother raised him.... Personally I don't see it as a knock.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, HawkeyeJet said:

Whenever I get too animated about a 40 time, I used to remind myself that Jerry Rice ran a 4.6. These days, I remind myself that Michael Thomas ran a 4.57 and NFL.com gave him a prospect “grade” of, like, 6 because he “lacked top-end speed” or some sh*t. 

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

13 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Whenever I get too animated about a 40 time, I used to remind myself that Jerry Rice ran a 4.6. These days, I remind myself that Michael Thomas ran a 4.57 and NFL.com gave him a prospect “grade” of, like, 6 because he “lacked top-end speed” or some sh*t. 

It used to be anything in the 4.4’s was considered really fast, 4.5’s was considered more than fast enough.  Also, guys never really trained for the specific combine events like they do today.  Much of the reason the times are so much better now is because they train and practice how to come off the line.  Proper technique saves you a lot of time, but football players don’t line up like that in games, so it’s kinda meaningless for the most part.  

If they really wanted a useful drill, they should have the WRs run actual routes and time them running those.  Not only can you see how they run a route, but it separates the straight speed guys from the tacticians.  

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 3

14 hours ago, KRL said:

Congrats @HawkeyeJet your program produces some real "freaks"

This morning I saw that Wirfs vertical leap was better than top end receivers DeAndre Hopkins, AJ Green and Amari Cooper(among others). That, moreso than the number itself, really made it sink in for me of how insane that number is for a guy his size.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 3

Becton looks intriguing, but seems like he was mostly used in run game and had less reps in pass protection.   He would be a great project, but I am hoping Thomas or Wirfs who are more established with respect to production (e.g., safer) fall to 11.   

If there is a run on tackles in the top 10, I hope JD trades down and gets an extra pick or two (e.g, philly's #2 and compensatory 3 for a swap) and pick up the tackle from Houston Jones.

• Sympathy 1

Today (Saturday) we need to watch:

Auburn DL Derrick Brown - we need him to have a good workout to ensure he goes Top 10 to someone

South Carolina DL/NT Javon Kinlaw - it helps us a lot if he moves up into Top 10 contention

LSU Edge K'Lavon Chaisson -  we either need him to SUCK so he drops out of contention at #11 or to be so utterly amazing that if we take him, we are all happy about it

8 minutes ago, Sarge4Tide said:

Today (Saturday) we need to watch:

Auburn DL Derrick Brown - we need him to have a good workout to ensure he goes Top 10 to someone

South Carolina DL/NT Javon Kinlaw - it helps us a lot if he moves up into Top 10 contention

LSU Edge K'Lavon Chaisson -  we either need him to SUCK so he drops out of contention at #11 or to be so utterly amazing that if we take him, we are all happy about it

usatsi_10387176.jpg?w=1000&h=600&crop=1

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2