Jets apparently had a solid offer on the table

Robby Anderson Declined $40M Offer From Jets Before Signing With Panthers

Wide Receiver Took 2-Year, $20M Deal With Carolina Instead

By Boomer and Gio, WFAN Sports Radio 66AM & 101.9 FM New York

WFANAM.jpg?width=60&height=60&crop=1:1
3 hours ago

The Jets made a four-year, $40 million offer to Robby Anderson before the wide receiver agreed to sign with the Carolina Panthers on Tuesday, WFAN's Boomer Esiason revealed on the "Boomer and Gio" show.

Sources Esiason spoke with told him about the offer Gang Green had on the table. Anderson instead will sign a two-year, $20 million contract with Carolina, where he'll be reunited with his college head coach, Matt Rhule.

Esiason said he thought the Jets' offer "would've been more than fair for both sides."

"Robby wanted to take less years and wanted to bet on himself and obviously wanted to go play for a coach that he knows, 'cause the coach obviously down in Carolina was his coach at Temple, and he feels comfortable with that offense that they're building around Joe Brady, their offensive coordinator down there," Esiason said at the start of Wednesday's show. "So Robby decided to leave and essentially bet on himself 'cause he wants to be back at the free agent table in two years, and I don't blame him.

"I don't know if the Jets would've offered him the two-year deal. That I don't know. But I do know that, according to my sources, that there was a four-year, $40 million deal on the table for Robby Anderson."

Shortly after losing Anderson in free agency, the Jets found his replacement, agreeing to terms with former Buccaneers speedster Breshad Perriman on a one-year contract that will pay him anywhere from $6 million to $8 million.Robby Anderson of the New York Jets in action against Ryan Lewis of the Miami Dolphins during their game at MetLife Stadium on Dec. 8, 2019.

"Robby Anderson, he's had good things in his past as a Jet, bad things in his past as a Jet," Giannotti said. "But it seemed like him and Sam were on the same page. And that's the part of this that I don't like, that here's Sam Darnold going into his third year -- and you're talking about two bumpy years to start out -- and it feels like he's starting over again. And I just don't think that's the greatest thing for a young quarterback like him."

Added Esiason: "Probably the loser, I guess -- if you wanted to say that he was a loser in all of this -- would probably be Sam Darnold because of the relationship that he had with Robby Anderson. And then the other question is now, when are OTAs going to start? Are they going to start? Are these guys going to get a chance to work out together? Are they going to get to know each other?" 

Boomer said he expects the Jets to add one or two more receivers in the draft.

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

It'd be one thing if the Jets low balled him and he signed elsewhere. But if they went any higher here, we'd all be going nuts. Sometimes other considerations (chance to play for an old coach) outweigh the financial ones.

The Jets made a quick move to sign Perriman, who is a player in the mold of Robby's and the same age, for less money. With other intriguing vet options still out there and an absolutely loaded WR draft coming up, I'm not seeing the urgency to freak out about Robby leaving. 

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 2

I question this report.  A 4 yr $40 million offer seems to be very against the grain from what we have seen from Douglas...especially after the first day or two of signings.  Unless there was no guaranteed money, my guess is that we offered a one year deal and lost out to a two year deal, so Robby could save face.

• Upvote 3
  • WTF? 1

2 minutes ago, docdhc said:

So i guess we shouldn't be too upset with Douglas. He made a fair offer to Robby and then  played the hand he was dealt and signed Perriman.

We still need another WR signing.

I likePerriman but Perriman plus a couple draft picks doesn’t suffice

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Stonehands said:

I question this report.  A 4 yr $40 million offer seems to be very against the grain from what we have seen from Douglas...especially after the first day or two of signings.  Unless there was no guaranteed money, my guess is that we offered a one year deal and lost out to a two year deal, so Robby could save face.

I actually agree with this take. 

In no way, shape, or form, does this mesh with the type of contracts JD has been handing out. 

This sounds more like Robbys agent saving face and definitely has the tinge of Manish Mheta behind it. 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

12 minutes ago, Stonehands said:

I agree...I think even if the numbers reported were close to being correct the guaranteed money was probably pretty low. It would make more sense for him to take a 2 year deal and then hit free agency again for more guaranteed money. 

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Philc1 said:

Agreed.  I don't he's done yet.  There are always some serviceable vets that get cut and can be productive, like Thomas last year.  Healthy tight ends will help also.  I don't think we are getting a big name though, the draft choices have to produce.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, JTJet said:

This sounds more like Robbys agent saving face and definitely has the tinge of Manish Mheta behind it. 

Why would this be a leak from Anderson's camp?  If anything it makes Robby look like he took a lot less to go to the Panthers.  Have to imagine a 4-year, $40M type of offer would include more than $12M guaranteed.  

• Upvote 2

15 minutes ago, Stonehands said:

Getting two years at 10 per is better than getting 4 years at 10 per because you aren't loving locking yourself into a salary when the cap keeps going up. 

Plus, like you suggested, I'm sure there wasn't a ton of guaranteed money.

So I totally understand why Robby chose the Panthers. I do think going from the Jets where he was the man with Darnold to the Panthers where is one of 3 very solid WRs(Moore and Samuel both emerging) is risky. His Target share may drop. Not to mention I'm not exactly sold on Bridgewater as a QB being able to keep 3WRs fed and CMC gets a ton of touches.

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

17 minutes ago, Stonehands said:

I agree with you. This is based on their "sources".

"But I do know that, according to my sources, that there was a four-year, $40 million deal on the table for Robby Anderson."

The sources were probably Robbies agents making with the spin. I still don't get a contract where the 2nd year is a 33% pay cut. I think Robbie saw the 12m in year one and didn't think about 8m in year two. If he has a good 2020 season he'll be pissed about the pay cut in 2021 and there will be nothing he can do about it.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

Just now, Big_Slick said:

I agree with you. This is based on their "sources".

"But I do know that, according to my sources, that there was a four-year, $40 million deal on the table for Robby Anderson."

The sources were probably Robbies agents making with the spin. I still don't get a contract where the 2nd year is a 33% pay cut. I think Robbie saw the 12m in year one and didn't think about 8m in year two. If he has a good 2020 season he'll be pissed about the pay cut in 2021 and there will be nothing he can do about it.

I love the idea that Robby potentially ending up on 3 teams in 3 years is somehow a net positive for him.  

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

Crowder, Perriman, Herndon, Griffin, Bell are all solid targets for Darnold. Plus you have to think we're using one, or more of our top picks on a WR.

But I do agree, we need to sign one more vet for depth/insurance. Tajae Sharp or DeMarcus Robinson would be a nice add.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

Robby isn’t getting 10 per for 2 years. He’s getting 12 per for year one and 8 in the second year.

He didn't want to lock in at 10 per year (ON AVERAGE, Mr. Technicality) . He's betting on himself and his ability to get a bigger deal after two years in Carolina.

5 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Crowder, Perriman, Herndon, Griffin, Bell are all solid targets for Darnold. Plus you have to think we're using one, or more of our top picks on a WR.

But I do agree, we need to sign one more vet for depth/insurance. Tajae Sharp or DeMarcus Robinson would be a nice add.

Just saw that Sharpe signed with Vikings.

7 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Especially when you consider that Teddy Bridgewater averaged 6.2 air yards per attempt last season.  Last in the NFL among qualifying passers (39th).

For comparison purposes, Darnold averaged 8.6 (15th).

Have fun run blocking, Robby.  

Exactly this. Not thought out on his part

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Especially when you consider that Teddy Bridgewater averaged 6.2 air yards per attempt last season.  Last in the NFL among qualifying passers (39th).

For comparison purposes, Darnold averaged 8.6 (15th).

Have fun run blocking, Robby.  

first thing I thought of, "who's throwing you the ball, Rob?"

• Upvote 2

Sometimes despite your best efforts, a player just wants to be somewhere else.  Make a fair offer, and he decides to play with his old college coach, there is not much you can do.  Either overpay to try to keep him or let him go.  Given the circumstances, letting him go was probably the right choice.  

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 2