Clowney dropping his price...

On 4/1/2020 at 3:32 PM, jetstream23 said:

The one thing I like is that signing Clowney (or trading for Ngakoue) takes the Edge rusher need off the list for the first 3-4 rounds of the Draft.

I know everyone here is focused on OLine and WR early in the Draft, and some am I, but I would also be targeting an Edge rusher somewhere in the 2nd-4th rounds.  A guy like Baun (if he somehow dropped to 2), Josh Uche in the 3rd, a Kenny Willekes in the 4th...or late 3rd if we traded down, etc.  I want us to get a young Edge rusher in this Draft.   But signing Clowney let's the Jets go full tilt at WR, OT, OT, WR in this Draft before finally hitting some CBs in the late rounds.

I'd rather go CB first if we go D in the first 4 rds.  I like the CB;'s much Better than the edge guys. That's just me. The guys you mentioned happen to be guys I like but not more than the CB's or more offense. 

• Upvote 1

Not interested in anything more than a 1 year deal.  While a really good player, Clowney is not a game changer, has some injury/durability concerns and has always played with other blue chippers on his team. 

Rather give that kind of contract to Jamal Adams.  He is a game changer, doesn't have injury or durability concerns and makes other players around him better.  

• Thumb Down 1

1 hour ago, LAD_Brooklyn said:

Not with this years schedule

We play Miami buffalo and New England 6 times, all below average offenses. Denver, Oakland clevland  Indy chargers rams. None of these teams are really scaring me from an offensive standpoint too much 

• Upvote 2

Keep dropping. Even at 16mill, he's looking for a lot of guaranteed money and term which is the type of thing that can make his contract an albatross if he doesn't improve from his previous play...and let's just say I have little faith that's gonna happen.

Everything that JD has done makes it seem like the type of contract Clowney will get is something that Douglas isn't interested in. 

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, King P said:

That's the worst kept secret on this site lol.

Most posters have a bargain bin hunting mentality 

Tell me about all the Jets successful big ticket free agent signings that have been successful.   You can start at Neil O Donnell and proceed to current times.

8 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

He would immediately be the best, most impactful player on the roster.  Why most fans don’t want him is shocking to me.

Most fans here would rather sign 3 Jags for 18 million and be excited that we got a good deal.

His prior team signed Mayowa who had 7 sacks last year for 3 million rather than resigning Clowney who they traded players and picks for.   What does that tell you?  

Clowney is probably more explosive but less consistent than Jenkins.
IMO He is Mo Wilkerson 2.0   Pay him and thats the last youll see of him

1 hour ago, Bowles Movement said:

Tell me about all the Jets successful big ticket free agent signings that have been successful.   You can start at Neil O Donnell and proceed to current times.

Curtis Martin

Kevin Mawae

Alan Faneca

Damien Woody

Calvin Pace

All free agent signings that turned out pretty good for us

• Upvote 3

57 minutes ago, King P said:

Curtis Martin, New England Received Jets' first and third round selections in the 1998 Draft don't really count him.

Kevin Mawae Best Free agent signing.

Alan Faneca Second Best Free agent signing.

Damien Woody Third Best Free agent signing.

Calvin Pace Solid player, got 3 contracts with the Jets

Unfortunately, the last one as a long time ago. - I'm hoping Douglas will turn that around? 

It's a two team race. New York Jets and Tennessee Titans. 

And if I were a gambling man I'd put my money on both Greg Williams and Jamal Adams making Jadeveon Clowney a JET; all while Joe Douglas writes and cuts one of the Johnson brothers checks. 

• Gregg Williams as a Defensive mastermind is an appealing free agency destination for an aggressive athlete such as Jadeveon Clowney - due to giving his star players the freedom to make plays all over the field and to make plays while playing aggressive within an aggressive defensive scheme; and his X's and O's along with his blitz packages are both on another level. 

Jadeveon Clowney is an absolute and freakishly dominant player within the trenches of a front 7 and as a former Pro Bowler and an All-Pro within his own right, if surround by the likes of an up and coming Quinnen Williams out of Alabama working in front of him on the D-Line alongside of two tackling machines in the middle of his defense in C.J Mosley and Avery Williamson while lining opposite of an edge setter and run stopper in Jordan Jenkins (giving himself more of an opportunity to pin his ears back and attack the Quarterback) along with playing together on the same field as a Jamal Adams who roams the entire defense including the L.O S and Front-7.

And within in a Gregg Williams led Jets Defense? He'd then become impossible to stop, impossible to block and would completely take over ball games as a versatile defender who can both get after the passer and destroy an opposing run game (and within a Bradyless division that's a beautiful sight to imagine). 

• Jamal Adams himself has always taken pride in his off the field recruiting ability and has sounded like and has reminded me of us longtime Jet fans while he's called for more dogs ever since arriving a Jet.

He even tried recruiting his friend out of High School in Marcus Maye to join him @ LSU as another dog before Maye committed to Florida (not a coincidence how Maye got drafted immediately after Adams himself while solidifying our Safety's positions for the next 7-10 years).

Just last off-season we seen him recruit as he called for more dogs while blowing up Le'Veon Bell's phone throughout the entire offseason.

And throughout our current offseason we've seen him ask for and call for more outside pass rushers in order to surround himself with, more dogs.

#33 has sounded identical as longtime suffering Jet fans while understanding that we have not featured an athletically talented pass rusher as a Franchise since dating back to 2000-2005 in John Abraham and for that you've gotta love him (well, at least I do) and you'd be naive if you don't think he's out there blowing up Clowney's phone as he once did Le'Veon's: The man wants to win here in New York. 

• Sam Darnold is the wildcard. Who could become a key deciding factor for Clowney picking the Jets over Tennessee.

As a young Franchise Quarterback on the rise, imo, he is more of an intriguing destination for big name free agents and a better selling point when in comparison to a "Ryan Tannehill" in terms of potential to one day win it all. 

In closing: A trio of C.J Mosley, Jadeveon Clowney and Jamal Adams under Gregg Williams instantly and immediately becomes the most feared/talented NFL Defense within a Tom Bradyless AFC East division; with Sam Darnold as the face of our Offense and the best QB within our division as a bonus factor. 

• Post of the Week 1

In closing: A trio of C.J Mosley, Jadeveon Clowney and Jamal Adams under Gregg Williams instantly and immediately becomes the most featured NFL Defense within a Tom Bradyless AFC East division; with Sam Darnold as the face of our Offense and the best QB within our division. 

If Mosley returns to form - which is unlikely, but if he’s the Mosley we signed - Yes, this can be a very good defense. Missing one stud corner but you still should expect a top 10 defense, possibly top 5.

• Thumb Down 2

12 hours ago, Jetlife33 said:

No idea who this is, but here’s his recap of what’s going on. Take it with a grain of salt. 

Here is another recap on whats goin down with the #Jets: JD is negotiating with Clowney, has his price around 15 mill
#Jets think B.Cooks will be released, will inquire then
Trent Williams trade may happen draft night if Jets miss out on desired tackle
Ngakoue trade unlikley

We're down to quoting a fan who tweets with no more info than you or me?

1 hour ago, New York Mick said:

Wasn’t martin a trade? 

No. We landed him as a restricted Free Agent (and ended up losing draft picks due to compensation). Think back. "The Poison Pill". Ring a bell?

Regardless, who cares.

We haven't featured an OUTSIDE/DE/EDGE/OLB since dating back to John Abraham of 2000-2005 and I'm sick and tired of waiting (15 freaking years now).

John Abraham went on to record for Atlanta/Arizona (over an 8-9 year run) 240 Tackles (79 for loss behind the L.O.S), 24 Forced Fumbles, 115 QB Hits and 68 1/2 Sacks consisting of 5 years of double digit 10+ sacks (1 year with 9 1/2 sacks) including a season of 16.5 sacks!

Yes. I know that we landed Nick Mangold @ Center but I've missed John Abraham ever since and drooling over the thought of Jadeveon Clowney a Jet.

I loved Mangold and was always thankful for him (replaced Kevin Mawae without a drop-off) but i was absolutely disgusted and absolutely hated (I couldn't help it) to see Abe record 13 sacks during our 2010 AFC Championship Game run while we lacked an outside pass rusher. I couldn't imagine John Abraham being on the same field as Darrelle Revis as a nightmare pass rusher with Rex Ryan utilizing him as a pass rusher. 

Jamal Adams (always @ the L.O.S). 

Quinnen Williams.

C.J Mosley.

Avery Williamson.

Jordan Jenkins.

Jadeveon Clowney.

That's a scary looking front 7 for Gregg Williams to utilize and attack with and then on the back in we've got a #1 CB in Disir, the best nickel back in the league in Brian Poole and Marcus Maye as an awesome Free Safety of a Center Fielder in deep coverage over the top. 

Sign Clowney and we could then focus our entire draft on drafting offense while knowing that we have a championship level Defense already in place. 

1st Round WR: Jerry Jeudy / CeeDee Lamb. 

2nd Round: Best available O-Lineman. 

3rd Round: Best available O-Lineman.

3rd Round: Best available O-Lineman. 

4th Round: Another Wide Receiver (loaded draft class). 

Heading into the 5th round after already having drafted 2 WR's and 3 O-Lineman. 

5th Round: Chance of pace RB within the clone of a Leon Washington to spell Bell. 

6th Round: Another Pass Catching TE. 

6th Round: FG Kicker. 

Our defense ready to contend and a MUCH IMPROVED OFFENSE. 

• Sympathy 1

52 minutes ago, King P said:

No, Curtis was a restricted free agent. We sent him an offer which New England refused to match. So they got a 1st and 3rd as compensation. But it was still a FA signing 

Parcells included that poison pill 

Something like a 5 year 28M deal with and option, which NE would have had trouble with because of the cap but the poison pill was that if NE matched the Jets offer he would become a FA after 1 year.  Not if he signed the Jets deal.  The killer was if he did they could lose him to the jets for no comp. so they had to let him walk to the Jets for the 1st and 3rd.  

The NFL made that pill illegal after that deal

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 2

1 hour ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

It's a two team race. New York Jets and Tennessee Titans. 

And if I were a gambling man I'd put my money on both Greg Williams and Jamal Adams making Jadeveon Clowney a JET; all while Joe Douglas writes and cuts one of the Johnson brothers checks. 

• Gregg Williams as a Defensive mastermind is an appealing free agency destination for an aggressive athlete such as Jadeveon Clowney - due to giving his star players the freedom to make plays all over the field and to make plays while playing aggressive within an aggressive defensive scheme; and his X's and O's along with his blitz packages are both on another level. 

Jadeveon Clowney is an absolute and freakishly dominant player within the trenches of a front 7 and as a former Pro Bowler and an All-Pro within his own right, if surround by the likes of an up and coming Quinnen Williams out of Alabama working in front of him on the D-Line alongside of two tackling machines in the middle of his defense in C.J Mosley and Avery Williamson while lining opposite of an edge setter and run stopper in Jordan Jenkins (giving himself more of an opportunity to pin his ears back and attack the Quarterback) along with playing together on the same field as a Jamal Adams who roams the entire defense including the L.O S and Front-7.

And within in a Gregg Williams led Jets Defense? He'd then become impossible to stop, impossible to block and would completely take over ball games as a versatile defender who can both get after the passer and destroy an opposing run game (and within a Bradyless division that's a beautiful sight to imagine). 

• Jamal Adams himself has always taken pride in his off the field recruiting ability and has sounded like and has reminded me of us longtime Jet fans while he's called for more dogs ever since arriving a Jet.

He even tried recruiting his friend out of High School in Marcus Maye to join him @ LSU as another dog before Maye committed to Florida (not a coincidence how Maye got drafted immediately after Adams himself while solidifying our Safety's positions for the next 7-10 years).

Just last off-season we seen him recruit as he called for more dogs while blowing up Le'Veon Bell's phone throughout the entire offseason.

And throughout our current offseason we've seen him ask for and call for more outside pass rushers in order to surround himself with, more dogs.

#33 has sounded identical as longtime suffering Jet fans while understanding that we have not featured an athletically talented pass rusher as a Franchise since dating back to 2000-2005 in John Abraham and for that you've gotta love him (well, at least I do) and you'd be naive if you don't think he's out there blowing up Clowney's phone as he once did Le'Veon's: The man wants to win here in New York. 

• Sam Darnold is the wildcard. Who could become a key deciding factor for Clowney picking the Jets over Tennessee.

As a young Franchise Quarterback on the rise, imo, he is more of an intriguing destination for big name free agents and a better selling point when in comparison to a "Ryan Tannehill" in terms of potential to one day win it all. 

In closing: A trio of C.J Mosley, Jadeveon Clowney and Jamal Adams under Gregg Williams instantly and immediately becomes the most featured NFL Defense within a Tom Bradyless AFC East division; with Sam Darnold as the face of our Offense and the best QB within our division. 

Where have you been the last few years? I almost missed your derivative manifestos from that other site 

btw, all of what you wrote is wishful thinking. Clowney is going where he gets paid, not where Greg Williams and Jamal Adams are.

3 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

If Mosley returns to form - which is unlikely, but if he’s the Mosley we signed - Yes, this can be a very good defense. Missing one stud corner but you still should expect a top 10 defense, possibly top 5.

Why is it unlikely he returns to form?

It was a groin not an amputation.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, King P said:

Curtis Martin

Kevin Mawae

Alan Faneca

Damien Woody

Calvin Pace

First two slam dunks

Next two were good for a couple years then fell off in play and were cut

Pace was the Jordan Jenkins of his time   A solid player but nothing special     I dont think he outplayed his contract

Is that all you got for the past twenty years?

3 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

What about his injury makes you think he wont return to form,  Mr Glass Half Empty?

19 minutes ago, Bowles Movement said:

What about his injury makes you think he wont return to form,  Mr Glass Half Empty?

Because he'll be 28 when the season starts and coming off an injury where hasn't played football in an entire year.  Not a recipe for success. 

I suspect he'll be okay, but we shouldn't expect the player we paid $80mm.

• Thumb Down 1

6 hours ago, King P said:

Curtis Martin

Kevin Mawae

Alan Faneca

Damien Woody

Calvin Pace

Braylon Edwards, Brandon Marshall, Eric Decker, and soon to be Leveon Bell.

28 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Trade Adams for a 1 and 3 - and sign Clowney....

Use 5 of the 6 picks in the 1st three rounds on offense - take a CB somewhere in there.

This is a much better team with Clowney + 1st and 3rd than just Adams...

That depends on where those picks are and what players we get with them.  Expecting them both to be all pros or even above average starters might be asking a lot.  Personally I dont see the Clowney attraction- we would be getting him to rush the passer and he is only a little above average in that respect.  If we had drafted him high in the first round we would be calling him a bust.

12 minutes ago, TNJet said:

Braylon Edwards, Brandon Marshall, Eric Decker, and soon to be Leveon Bell.

Edwards and Marshall were trades that were Ok for a couple years, not FA signings.  Decker had a good year or two then got hurt and cut.  Again not a home run in my book.

If Bell is your idea of a successful FA signing , we are going to have to agree to disagree.  Most would say he is exactly what we want to avoid