Will you attend games amid pandemic

Will you attend Jet Games amid Pandemic  

176 members have voted

1. 1. Will you attend games at Metlife should a season happen?

• YES! I don't miss games, will take my chances
    • Yes. Only if testing is available easily and everyone can be tested
    • Maybe. Let's see where we are at in September
    • No. My health is more important. Will watch on tv.

1 hour ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

You can be scared, we should all be scared to a point. But we can also wait to see how things play out. Maybe things open up, people wear masks, socially distance (at least while indoors) and we don't really see an uptick. 

The reality is that the only way to completely stop this is for everyone to just lock themselves up for a year or more until there is a vaccine. That is just as crazy as those that suggest we should just open everything up with zero limitations. 

We have to come to grips, as horrible as it sounds, with an "acceptable" amount of deaths. A balance between saving lives from corona and saving  lives from poverty and the other collateral damage of a closed society. 

They are playing it out and LOSING.  Georgia already has had a 40% spike since 'opening up'.  And other states like Texas have shown an uptick.  Florida is next as they are being incredibly defiant.  There has to be a balance, Yes I agree. But the guidelines that were set to create this balance have not even been followed.  But it must be done strategically not through impulse.  Anyways, this is not the thread to discuss this. I, for one, will not be around 20-30k people to risk myself just to see a game since I have zero confidence the powers that be care an iota about the public's welfare.   I can already see half the crowd wouldn't even be wearing a mask to protect themselves or others.  I barely go out and see many people walking around without masks. And it's not even warm yet.  The more they insist on opening things up before it's relatively safer, the harder the backlash will be.  It's like taking 1 step forward two steps back.  The repercussions will be even worse than what we are experiencing now.,

• Thumb Down 2
  • Post of the Week 1

1 hour ago, Wonderboy said:

They are playing it out and LOSING.  Georgia already has had a 40% spike since 'opening up'.   

Where do you get your facts?

From the Georgia Department of Health: https://dph.georgia.gov/covid-19-daily-status-report

Cases by day:

April 27th- 802 new cases- The day they opened up so clearly not a "spike" Caused by opening up. 

May 3- 20 new Cases

May 4- 26 new 

If the Department of Health's numbers are wrong please tell us how and why. 

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

28 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Where do you get your facts?

From the Georgia Department of Health: https://dph.georgia.gov/covid-19-daily-status-report

Cases by day:

April 27th- 802 new cases- The day they opened up so clearly not a "spike" Caused by opening up. 

May 3- 20 new Cases

May 4- 26 new 

If the Department of Health's numbers are wrong please tell us how and why. 

https://www.forbes.com/sites/kevinmurnane/2020/05/04/the-risk-of-exposure-to-covid-19-in-georgia-has-increased-by-more-than-40-since-the-state-reopened-for-business/#52b820cc21b9

And this is just in a matter of days.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Wonderboy said:

lol, that article doesn't say anything about a spike in people testing positive. Read the headline!!

The article headline  itself :The Risk Of Exposure To COVID-19 In Georgia Has Increased By More Than 40% Since The State Reopened For Business>"

Some nebulous "risk of exposure" statistic is up 40pct. Well of course the risk of exposure will go up when a lockdown is lifted. 

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

4 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

lol, that article doesn't say anything about a spike in people testing positive. Read the headline!!

The article headline  itself :The Risk Of Exposure To COVID-19 In Georgia Has Increased By More Than 40% Since The State Reopened For Business>"

Some nebulous "risk of exposure" statistic is up 40pct. Well of course the risk of exposure will go up when a lockdown is lifted. 

LOL OK move to Georgia then

3 hours ago, Wonderboy said:

They are playing it out and LOSING.  Georgia already has had a 40% spike since 'opening up'.  And other states like Texas have shown an uptick.  Florida is next as they are being incredibly defiant.  There has to be a balance, Yes I agree. But the guidelines that were set to create this balance have not even been followed.  But it must be done strategically not through impulse.  Anyways, this is not the thread to discuss this. I, for one, will not be around 20-30k people to risk myself just to see a game since I have zero confidence the powers that be care an iota about the public's welfare.   I can already see half the crowd wouldn't even be wearing a mask to protect themselves or others.  I barely go out and see many people walking around without masks. And it's not even warm yet.  The more they insist on opening things up before it's relatively safer, the harder the backlash will be.  It's like taking 1 step forward two steps back.  The repercussions will be even worse than what we are experiencing now.,

I’ve thought to myself how would the enforce masks at Jets games?  As it is they have a hard enough time enforcing drunk people vaping in their seats.  Imagine having to keep telling them to keep their mask on?   

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/4/2020 at 10:09 PM, Lot K Tailgaters said:

I’ve thought to myself how would the enforce masks at Jets games?  As it is they have a hard enough time enforcing drunk people vaping in their seats.  Imagine having to keep telling them to keep their mask on?   

If the masks helps with the vaping problem I will help enforce it.

• Haha 2

What’s fascinating in this country and on this board.....every single person  is gonna reach a point and make a decision.... sans vaccine....when do I go out? When do I live my life? I’ve been out working everyday as a pharmacist so everyday right now is another day. 

• Upvote 4

2 minutes ago, Titan24 said:

What’s fascinating in this country and on this board.....every single person  is gonna reach a point and make a decision.... sans vaccine....when do I go out? When do I live my life? I’ve been out working everyday as a pharmacist so everyday right now is another day. 

I’m sort of enjoying my time at home with the family.  I’m not sure I want to go out again. 

SAR I

• Upvote 2

Pretty sure 50% of them just did on the beaches this weekend. 2 weeks from now is going to be a real interesting point. If the spike in infections does not happen then things are going to open up fully real fast.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app
  • Upvote 2

7 hours ago, Snell41 said:

Pretty sure 50% of them just did on the beaches this weekend. 2 weeks from now is going to be a real interesting point. If the spike in infections does not happen then things are going to open up fully real fast.

Weather is changing though

The real issue is going to be next October when people resist closing stuff and then risk the lives of thousands of people 

On 5/4/2020 at 2:31 PM, Jetsfan4life90 said:

If allowed to and assuming there is a season, and assuming all distancing guidelines or whatever are followed, why exactly does that make them selfish and stupid? Lol

Not everyone wants to live their life locked up in their house forever. Shocking, I know. 

You didn't hear?  I can get someone sick simply by stepping out of my house.

The germs will magically seek out the .2% of the population who could die from it, blasting through doors, walls and masks to find anyone who thinks they are "safe" by staying home . . .

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Titan24 said:

You mean in the WORLD.

I'm not sure there's any nation in the world acting as scared as we are.  They are going back to life as normal, and even if you want to call it the "new normal" it's still WAY more than some here think is "safe".

Personally I'm amazed at how many people think they are going to avoid coming in contact with the virus for the next 3+ months -- that a football game in SEPTEMBER is the one that's going to "do them in".

But like you said, it's a personal decision -- I just hope the government treats it as one . . .

• Upvote 1

On 5/4/2020 at 2:13 PM, kevinc855 said:

Scaring people? 60K people have died....im scared.....just asking if others are

Nobody lives forever. But the NFL is  a better experience at home anyway. 

8 hours ago, Snell41 said:

Took a bike ride along Rockaway Beach yesterday. NYC and NY state can scream all they want how the "beaches are closed!", but the Mayor Larry Vaughn-type civilians of the the met area are opening the beaches whether the powers that be like it or not. Was a windy brisk if sunny day, and there were tons of people along Fort Tilden, Riis Park and Rockaway Beach. When the temperature goes up to 80 degrees many more people are going to the beach, lifeguards or no lifeguards. Would be better if there were lifeguards, or there are going to be more drownings than COVID19 deaths. 

On 5/4/2020 at 2:40 PM, Jetsfan4life90 said:

Nah, even if they do end up playing games with no fans, that'll be a very short-term thing. 

Regarding the MTA, I'm honestly for that longer-term. Trains are often dirty and unclean. 

Have you ever been to Washington DC?  The Metro system there is pristine compared to NY.  Most stations are closed by midnight on weekdays and a little later on weekends.  Not 24hrs.  Also they give tickets for eating or drinking on the platform or in the train.  You could get a ticket for sipping your coffee.  They may have relaxed this law a bit since I lived there(1990s).  It didn’t feel like an inconvenience, because it was my first Metro experience.  DC is full of rats, however I have never seen one in the Metro station or on the tracks, because there is little to no food waste.

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Lil O said:

Have you ever been to Washington DC?  The Metro system there is pristine compared to NY.  Most stations are closed by midnight on weekdays and a little later on weekends.  Not 24hrs.  Also they give tickets for eating or drinking on the platform or in the train.  You could get a ticket for sipping your coffee.  They may have relaxed this law a bit since I lived there(1990s).  It didn’t feel like an inconvenience, because it was my first Metro experience.  DC is full of rats, however I have never seen one in the Metro station or on the tracks, because there is little to no food waste.

DC is a very different place now than it was in the 80’s and 90’s

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

DC is a very different place now than it was in the 80’s and 90’s

I know!  I go back for work every few years.  The areas that we considered too dangerous are now the hottest spots.  The New SW waterfront is incredible!  

On 5/4/2020 at 6:51 PM, Wonderboy said:

Coronavirus cases, deaths in Georgia continue to decline, three weeks after re-opening

'We are headed in the right direction' – Gov. Kemp

Georgia Gov. Brian Kemp
Georgia Gov. Brian Kemp
(Austin McAfee/Icon Sportswire via Getty Images

Last Updated:
May 14, 2020 - 1:08pm

Three weeks into the Georgia's coronavirus reopening process, the state continues to post declining new cases and new deaths from the contagion, says GOP Gov. Brian Kemp.

While announcing the encouraging the encouraging numbers, he also urged residents to "remain vigilant" in their fight against the disease. 

Georgia became one of the earliest states to move toward reopening its broadly shuttered economy, with Kemp allowing some businesses to re-open on Apr. 24 under restricted conditions.

x

The state has followed a staggered reopening over the subsequent 20 days. Restaurants, gyms, bowling alleys, salons and other businesses have been allowed to re-open, though bars and live music venues remain closed for the time being. 

Kemp was widely criticized last month for the decision. "Atlantic" writer Amanda Mull claimed Georgia was engaging in "an experiment in human sacrifice," while numerous pundits and public officials insisted that the state would soon see a skyrocketing body count due to a second wave of the disease. 

Three weeks after that decision, the state's case numbers look encouraging.

The Georgia Department of Public Health's COVID-19 dashboard indicates that both total and absolute numbers of daily cases and deaths have sharply declined since the opening. The seven-day moving average of new cases on Apr. 24 was 747, while average deaths were 35; as of May 13 those numbers had declined to 288 and 13, respectively. 

Those reports are as-of-now tentative. The health department on its website warns that "confirmed cases over the last 14 days may not be accounted for due to illnesses yet to be reported or test results may still be pending."

Yet a press release put out by the governor's office on Monday still touts state-level coronavirus data, claiming the government was recording "the lowest number of ventilators in use and COVID-19 positive patients hospitalized in Georgia" since record-keeping began on Apr. 8. 

"This data shows that we are headed in the right direction in our battle with COVID-19," Kemp said in the release. "Every day, Georgians are recovering from the virus, freeing up hospital space as we continue to safely reopen our state and ramp up testing and contact tracing."

He added that the state is "not out of the woods yet" and that residents "must remain vigilant in following proper protocols from public health officials."

The encouraging numbers come as other countries report varying levels of second spikes of the outbreak following economic re-openings, raising concerns that similar resurgences may be seen here. On April 20, former journalist Ron Fournier urged readers on Twitter to "mark this day" and wrote that "two and three weeks from now, the Georgia death toll is blood on [Kemp's] hands."

Pressed this week on the apparent decline of cases and deaths in the state, Fournier advised readers to "check back in three weeks."

• Upvote 3

On 5/4/2020 at 10:00 AM, ChuckkieB said:

Until there is a vaccine, I cannot see myself attending any sporting event, concert, or anything where there are that many people gathered in one place. Not worth the risk, no matter how small that risk actually is.

My feeling as well.  

• Upvote 2

My guess is that they'll have a partial season with no fans. 50-70K fans at multiple locations could add to a major epidemic. They travel to and from the game and could be superspreaders. And do players, coaches etc stay basically quarantined during the week. I doubt it and there's a lot of people putting together an NFL game even with no fans. So with all of this movement of people even with testing and tracing how many players on a roster would test positive. You'd assume they'll be studying NASCAR etc. 

• Haha 1

58 minutes ago, OCCH23 said:

You mean in the WORLD.

I'm not sure there's any nation in the world acting as scared as we are.  They are going back to life as normal, and even if you want to call it the "new normal" it's still WAY more than some here think is "safe".

Personally I'm amazed at how many people think they are going to avoid coming in contact with the virus for the next 3+ months -- that a football game in SEPTEMBER is the one that's going to "do them in".

But like you said, it's a personal decision -- I just hope the government treats it as one . . .

This is all we can do is make our own personal decisions.  And we all are in different situations that imapct those decisions.

For me, I have a job I can do from home, as does my wife.  I like working from home; would be very happy if I never had to head into the office again.  I am not losing 90 minutes a day heading to and from the office; I spend that extra time in the AM working out in my basement or riding my bike.  I am not getting stuck in the office in the evening and missing dinner with the family. 

I have no intention of going to any movies, bars, restaurants, sporting events, concerts, shows, etc anytime soon.  At this point, I am willing to wait this thing out as long as I have to.   

I recognize that others are not in similar situations and will approach this differently,

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Lith said:

This is all we can do is make our own personal decisions.  And we all are in different situations that imapct those decisions.

For me, I have a job I can do from home, as does my wife.  I like working from home; would be very happy if I never had to head into the office again.  I am not losing 90 minutes a day heading to and from the office; I spend that extra time in the AM working out in my basement or riding my bike.  I am not getting stuck in the office in the evening and missing dinner with the family. 

I have no intention of going to any movies, bars, restaurants, sporting events, concerts, shows, etc anytime soon.  At this point, I am willing to wait this thing out as long as I have to.   

I recognize that others are not in similar situations and will approach this differently,

Assuming the government allows them to . . .

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

The university of Washington probably puts out some of the best data I’ve been able to find on covid-19.

https://covid19.healthdata.org/united-states-of-america/georgia

If you look at Georgia, despite steadily increasing their mobility since early April, their daily deaths have been trending downward. If you scroll to the bottom, their ICU beds usage for covid patients has also been trending downwards since flattening in mid April.

Just scanning this site, you can see that a lot of southern states were well within hospital beds capacity over the last two months. Even California has managed to flatten their icu bed usage and was never close to full capacity.

The Northeast was and still is strapped. However, the numbers are moving downward very rapidly. And that part of the US is projected to be in good shape by early June as it relates to resource usage which to me is the most important data.

• Upvote 1

50 minutes ago, jetsons said:

Been outside since day 1, been working outside since day 1, been shopping at stores since day 1, haven't worn a mask since day 1, been fine since day 1.

Well then .. this is all a big hoax.

• Haha 1