Will you attend games amid pandemic

Will you attend Jet Games amid Pandemic  

176 members have voted

1. 1. Will you attend games at Metlife should a season happen?

• YES! I don't miss games, will take my chances
    • Yes. Only if testing is available easily and everyone can be tested
    • Maybe. Let's see where we are at in September
    • No. My health is more important. Will watch on tv.

On 5/4/2020 at 2:20 PM, JoJoTownsell1 said:

You can be scared, we should all be scared to a point. But we can also wait to see how things play out. Maybe things open up, people wear masks, socially distance (at least while indoors) and we don't really see an uptick. 

The reality is that the only way to completely stop this is for everyone to just lock themselves up for a year or more until there is a vaccine. That is just as crazy as those that suggest we should just open everything up with zero limitations. 

We have to come to grips, as horrible as it sounds, with an "acceptable" amount of deaths. A balance between saving lives from corona and saving  lives from poverty and the other collateral damage of a closed society. 

Pretty much how I feel. 

This doesn’t have to be about extremes. Saying you want to save us from a major recession or even another depression isn’t selfish. The long term effects of that would be devastating to our economy. The pain that people are feeling across this country, especially small business owners, is crippling. We have to slowly and smartly reopen this economy. That means continuing social distancing for the time being, working from home where applicable, avoiding large gatherings, and cleanliness/hygiene. Keep the most vulnerable isolated for a longer period of time. It sucks but it has to happen. 

Watching the race yesterday was encouraging. No fans, everyone wearing masks, social distancing. And we had a race! Nice work. These are the small steps that can be done to bring us back. 

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, SAR I said:

I’m sort of enjoying my time at home with the family.  I’m not sure I want to go out again. 

SAR I

I am a huge fan of social distancing and that has nothing to do with the virus.

3 hours ago, Bugg said:

Nobody lives forever. But the NFL is  a better experience at home anyway. 

Disagree. The pre game tailgate, watching them win in person, walking out after a win....are all amazing.

2 hours ago, OCCH23 said:

Assuming the government allows them to . . .

Please avoid politics. It is tough right now, but this isn't the place for a lot of these conversations.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, jetsons said:

97416439_2685385708359405_3329978270182539264_n.jpg?_nc_cat=100&_nc_sid=8024bb&_nc_ohc=EeO7x2MGSOwAX_adWox&_nc_ht=scontent-lga3-1.xx&oh=964abf3e5b5db090daa579b1666a32a5&oe=5EE9DEC0

Masks worn properly are effective. 

What’s really funny is watching people wear them only around their mouths with their noses exposed. A basic anatomy and physiology class can fix that problem. 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Prez33 said:

What’s really funny is watching people wear them only around their mouths with their noses exposed. A basic anatomy and physiology class can fix that problem. 

Everytime I see someone doing that I am tempted to say something but I just bite my bottom lip under my N95 mask and keep pushing my cart past them as the Darwin awards are being handed out. 

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Prez33 said:

It's only effective if the mask-wearing person is sick and potentially sneezes/coughs/spits in the direction of someone ridiculously close to them, or onto something someone ultimately touches.

It's useless to keep healthy people from getting sick, or on the millions of people who don't even have the virus . . .

11 minutes ago, OCCH23 said:

It's only effective if the mask-wearing person is sick and potentially sneezes/coughs/spits in the direction of someone ridiculously close to them, or onto something someone ultimately touches.

It's useless to keep healthy people from getting sick, or on the millions of people who don't even have the virus . . .

Useless? You’re telling me a properly fitted N95 on a healthy person going into the supermarket is no more safe than going in with nothing? A barrier vs no barrier with a virus that can be transmitted via droplets in the eyes and respiratory tract. 

Not trying to be confrontational about it. It’s a serious question. 

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, Prez33 said:

Only certain specific masks can provide you with a modicum of protection... 99% of the masks worn by the public are Useless.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Maxman said:

I am a huge fan of social distancing and that has nothing to do with the virus.

Disagree. The pre game tailgate, watching them win in person, walking out after a win....are all amazing.

Please avoid politics. It is tough right now, but this isn't the place for a lot of these conversations.

True. But worth the time commitment, BS and hassle? I dunno any more. 

15 minutes ago, Prez33 said:

Useless? You’re telling me a properly fitted N95 on a healthy person going into the supermarket is no more safe than going in with nothing? A barrier vs no barrier with a virus that can be transmitted via droplets in the eyes and respiratory tract. 

Not trying to be confrontational about it. It’s a serious question. 

If you're saying you have a mask that covers your eyes, then we're not thinking of the same mask (or one I've seen the vast majority of people wearing).

I was referring more to the fact that it's not an airborne virus -- you don't run the risk of "breathing it in" unless someone gets ridiculously close to you and projectiles in your specific direction.

People are MUCH more likely to get it by touching an object that has the virus on it, something a mask does not prevent.

I appreciated your question and hope my response was equally mature . . . 

18 minutes ago, OCCH23 said:

If you're saying you have a mask that covers your eyes, then we're not thinking of the same mask (or one I've seen the vast majority of people wearing).

I was referring more to the fact that it's not an airborne virus -- you don't run the risk of "breathing it in" unless someone gets ridiculously close to you and projectiles in your specific direction.

People are MUCH more likely to get it by touching an object that has the virus on it, something a mask does not prevent.

I appreciated your question and hope my response was equally mature . . . 

Regarding the eyes part, I was just pointing out that recent findings suggest it can be contracted that way. Wasn’t suggesting a mask would prevent that. 

Yes it does appear the majority of cases involve surfaces with the virus. I think the mask thing is just being extra cautious in those cases where somebody does sneeze or cough and somebody happens to be nearby. I personally wear an N95 for piece of mind inside public places like the stores. More importantly, I really try not to touch things as much as possible, and hand sanitize about 10-20X a day. 

24 minutes ago, jetsons said:

Only certain specific masks can provide you with a modicum of protection... 99% of the masks worn by the public are Useless.

Useless suggests completely ineffective.  I’m not sure where you’re getting this information. While masks don’t provide complete protection, especially people who aren’t fitted properly, they do provide a barrier. And a barrier is better than nothing over your face. 

The latex gloves are another matter. Those are pointless. Constant washing and sanitizing is way more effective. 

Just now, Prez33 said:

Useless suggests completely ineffective.  I’m not sure where you’re getting this information. While masks don’t provide complete protection, especially people who aren’t fitted properly, they do provide a barrier. And a barrier is better than nothing over your face. 

The latex gloves are another matter. Those are pointless. Constant washing and sanitizing is way more effective. 

That is Correct... Completely Ineffective.

1 hour ago, bitonti said:

it's here broseph

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/2020/05/18/coronavirus-vaccine-moderna-oxford-covid-19-positive-antibodies/5213337002/

as for attending the games The Jets have been so crappy they'd have to pay me to go, and that was before the virus 

Just saw that, I'm surprised the progress has been that quickly! It'll still take time to mass produce it, but really encouraging news. Needed that lol

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, Jetsfan4life90 said:

Just saw that, I'm surprised the progress has been that quickly! It'll still take time to mass produce it, but really encouraging news. Needed that lol

From what I’m hearing about that - is once they feel good about the vaccine (Or multiple ones)  - and this one is getting close - they’re going to start mass producing even before it’s approved.  If something happens and it doesn’t get approved it’s a loss of time and energy but an acceptable one.

My guess - this vaccine and/or one or two others will be ready in September with doses in the 10’s of millions to start.  Well, that’s my hope anyway.  

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

From what I’m hearing about that - is once they feel good about the vaccine (Or multiple ones)  - and this one is getting close - they’re going to start mass producing even before it’s approved.  If something happens and it doesn’t get approved it’s a loss of time and energy but an acceptable one.

My guess - this vaccine and/or one or two others will be ready in September with doses in the 10’s of millions to start.  Well, that’s my hope anyway.  

Yeah, I think people are assuming they will produce these vaccines in the same manner/pace as they normally do. I would bet they mass produce very early on in the process (at the governments expense) and worst case scenario if the vaccine turns out to be a bust they can just toss them in the garbage.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Prez33 said:

Isn’t the mask use to protect people from you as well as you not breathing in any thing? 

People wearing gloves a day and touching everything including their eyes and mouth is useless as well. 

2 hours ago, bitonti said:

it's here broseph

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/2020/05/18/coronavirus-vaccine-moderna-oxford-covid-19-positive-antibodies/5213337002/

as for attending the games The Jets have been so crappy they'd have to pay me to go, and that was before the virus 

That’s great news. If their phase 3 is successful, this thing is going to be good to go by September. 

• Upvote 1

47 minutes ago, GreenFish said:

That’s great news. If their phase 3 is successful, this thing is going to be good to go by September. 

I think it's more like FDA Approval late 2020 with front line workers, every one else gets a crack Q1 2021 

I dunno, the way some people are talking it just doesn't make sense. You can't just wait until September and see how things are. Think about all the procedures and logistics and administration and organization of workers that have to happen to ensure that both fans are safe and the organization putting on the show is free from liability, especially with the second wave projections being what they are. Then balance all of that against requirements that will differ from state to state. That's not something that you can just make happen on a whim. If the league is going to have games with attendees in the fall, that's something you have to start planning for now. That's why, for example, universities are announcing this month what they are doing for the fall. Look at what the UFC had to do over months to ensure they could on a show even without anyone in the stands. It's not feasible to do things of this magnitude playing the wait until the last second-and-see approach.

3 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

Oxford did suggest a September date for when they'd start to give the doses. I just hope it's not being super rushed. Don't want to be a guinea pig lol. 

It's not going away, people. It's just another virus for society to deal with. Afraid to do stuff because of Cov-2 19? You might as well prepare to spend the rest of your life sheltering at home, wearing a mask, avoiding human contact, and being fearful every day.

Until you die anyway. 

• Upvote 3

I dunno, the way some people are talking it just doesn't make sense. You can't just wait until September and see how things are. Think about all the procedures and logistics and administration and organization of workers that have to happen to ensure that both fans are safe and the organization putting on the show is free from liability, especially with the second wave projections being what they are. Then balance all of that against requirements that will differ from state to state. That's not something that you can just make happen on a whim. If the league is going to have games with attendees in the fall, that's something you have to start planning for now. That's why, for example, universities are announcing this month what they are doing for the fall. Look at what the UFC had to do over months to ensure they could on a show even without anyone in the stands. It's not feasible to do things of this magnitude playing the wait until the last second-and-see approach.

The NFL can’t, but we can. But here’s the thing...there is without a doubt a possibility this virus has already passed through a great deal of us unknowingly. I’m not saying probable, but possible. There’s a large contingent of people that said “eff it” this weekend and went out. Tons of people expanded their inner circle. Friends with kids starting to accept the risk of 2+ families interacting. I’m seeing it all over the place. In theory we should see a large spike in about 14 days, followed by an increase in hospitalizations i about 21 days. If we do not then people are going to crash the gates. If that happens then it’s one of 2 things- we’re already through it now or we’re going to go through it in one massive ugly and deadly shot that’ll be just about over by Sept/Oct.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app
  • Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, bitonti said:

it's here broseph

The govt of the UK is already saying the 30 million or so doses of the vaccine that may be ready in September will be for that country’s own citizens

so unless a bunch of fans move to England and get covered by the NHS fuggedaboutit 

17 hours ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

It's not going away, people. It's just another virus for society to deal with. Afraid to do stuff because of Cov-2 19? You might as well prepare to spend the rest of your life sheltering at home, wearing a mask, avoiding human contact, and being fearful every day.

Until you die anyway. 

The problem is the rest of us who DON'T want to live that way are being forced to as well (except the fear part) . . .

(Before I get banned that's NOT a political opinion -- just stating a fact)

• Upvote 1