Vyncint Smith out 5-8 Weeks

kdels62

37 minutes ago, pdxgreen said:

Wish we heard more from the camp invites.  Honestly though.  Was Smith really going to give us more than Hogan might provide?  I doubt it.  I think we just switched one JAG out for another.

This.  We lost a guy who has 22 career receptions.  It just illustrates how painfully thin we are at the position that losing a guy like Smith has the potential to have an impact.    Injuries happen.  It is part of football.  Now lets see how JD solves for the position.  Sure hope there is more than just Hogan coming in.

1 hour ago, #27TheDominator said:

This is literally the description of every "sport hernia."  Don't ask me how I know.  John Abraham had surgery for this several times over his career.  Just because the description sounds graphic doesn't make the timetable any longer.

Why would muscle coming off of a bone be called a hernia when that has nothing to do with a hernia?  Its not even close to being a hernia. 

Hernias are when organs pushes its way out through an opening in muscle or tissue.  

Not saying its wrong, not called a sports hernia, just want to know how or why..

• Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, Losmeister said:

8 weeks is half teh seaosn... I wouldnt count on seeing him.../

The season's a month away. If he's out for the shorter end of the estimate, he might miss only one or two games. Even the eight week estimate has him back with 12 games to play. They probably need to do something more at the position, but Vyncint's season is far from over right now. 

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Why would muscle coming off of a bone be called a hernia when that has nothing to do with a hernia?  Its not even close to being a hernia. 

Hernias are when organs pushes its way out through an opening in muscle or tissue.  

Not saying its wrong, not called a sports hernia, just want to know how or why..

That's why they don't call it that anymore.  They used to try to fix it with mesh, which probably contributes to the name, though I think it was originally called hockey hernia.  Pubalgia is the technical term.  Look up the Vincera Institute.  That guy is the pioneer, but he does a ton of surgery.  If you go to his place they will recommend going in, but his success rate is pretty good.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, pdxgreen said:

Wish we heard more from the camp invites.  Honestly though.  Was Smith really going to give us more than Hogan might provide?  I doubt it.  I think we just switched one JAG out for another.

Hogan sucks.  At least Smith had upside

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, slats said:

The season's a month away. If he's out for the shorter end of the estimate, he might miss only one or two games. Even the eight week estimate has him back with 12 games to play. They probably need to do something more at the position, but Vyncint's season is far from over right now. 

He’s probably out til week 5 of the season.  Perriman’s an egg and Mims has a hamstring injury

but yeah we can’t sign Antonio Brown

6 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

I'm going to guess his external oblique tore off its attachment to the rib. I have no idea if this is correct since I have no idea how he hurt himself and I obviously am not privy to the medical exam. This is based off of them calling a core injury and the muscle tearing off the bone. Either way you are totally correct about that NOT being a hernia. 

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, slats said:

just a gut feeling, and thinking consevatively....   am counting on min 8 weeks...   then its...???  is he ready, he gotta practicde to get up to speed...

• Upvote 1

every team faces injuries
the Jets "strength and conditioning" issues are that they don't pay for depth (or starters, really)
so when a guy goes down, it all falls apart
they don't have a developmental WR they start Mims at WR2 unearned. this idea that the Jets training staff doesn't do a good job at keeping them healthy is scapegoating  - and i don't have any love for the Jets training staff. 
the true issue is a lack of depth - the Jets as a franchise have prioritized cap space over making real WR moves like resigning Robby. 
and Adam Gase's undoing will be that he's an offensive coach who's bad at offense 
No ... It's strength and conditioning ... Soft tissue injuries are presentable... At least on the scale displayed by the team last year. Tensile strength development seems to be missing.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using JetNation.com mobile app

• Thumb Down 1
  • WTF? 1

6 hours ago, TheMo said:

I'm going to guess his external oblique tore off its attachment to the rib. I have no idea if this is correct since I have no idea how he hurt himself and I obviously am not privy to the medical exam. This is based off of them calling a core injury and the muscle tearing off the bone. Either way you are totally correct about that NOT being a hernia. 

Thanks Mo, thats what I was thinking.  Just couldn't get my head wrapped around a muscle off bone being called a hernia.  

Do they still use mesh is it only in extreme circumstances where there is no other choice?

15 hours ago, bitonti said:

every team faces injuries

the Jets "strength and conditioning" issues are that they don't pay for depth (or starters, really)

so when a guy goes down, it all falls apart

they don't have a developmental WR they start Mims at WR2 unearned. this idea that the Jets training staff doesn't do a good job at keeping them healthy is scapegoating  - and i don't have any love for the Jets training staff. 

the true issue is a lack of depth - the Jets as a franchise have prioritized cap space over making real WR moves like resigning Robby. 

and Adam Gase's undoing will be that he's an offensive coach who's bad at offense 

Still on the failed money angle and the cheapness of the team?  Should I put up the list of the bottom spenders in the league, not so we can discuss how wrong you are but how being at the top of the cheapskate teams the Baltimore Ravens not only win but dont have a rash of injuries?

Jets problems and its not this season, they have two muscle pulls, dumb to panic, issues.  The problem has been when you stock a roster with FAs to fill in for your failed draft picks you have an older roster who are susceptible to injuries and you also have a roster of FAs many of whom have had injuries.

Its simple and not some half baked cheap excuse.  In your mind injuries are determined by the size of a players bank account?  Yeah, good thinking

• Upvote 1

Go ahead and post the list. The jets are top 5 in open cap space at the moment. There is 75 million open for 2020.

Yes the team is cheap they prioritize cap space over paying players like robby, Sam's most trusted target

Still on the failed money angle and the cheapness of the team?  Should I put up the list of the bottom spenders in the league, not so we can discuss how wrong you are but how being at the top of the cheapskate teams the Baltimore Ravens not only win but dont have a rash of injuries?
Jets problems and its not this season, they have two muscle pulls, dumb to panic, issues.  The problem has been when you stock a roster with FAs to fill in for your failed draft picks you have an older roster who are susceptible to injuries and you also have a roster of FAs many of whom have had injuries.
Its simple and not some half baked cheap excuse.  In your mind injuries are determined by the size of a players bank account?  Yeah, good thinking

Sent from my Pixel 2 using JetNation.com mobile app

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, Lith said:

This.  We lost a guy who has 22 career receptions.  It just illustrates how painfully thin we are at the position that losing a guy like Smith has the potential to have an impact.    Injuries happen.  It is part of football.  Now lets see how JD solves for the position.  Sure hope there is more than just Hogan coming in.

Exactly.   You would think V. Smith was Julio Jones by the way people are reacting to his injury.  The reality is that the Jets WR group really didn’t improve all that much over last year.   The biggest addition is Mims, but he’s only one rookie.  Other than that, it’s still the same collection of cast offs, street FAs and fringe roster players that they had last year.  

• Sympathy 1

13 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

Exactly.   You would think V. Smith was Julio Jones by the way people are reacting to his injury.  The reality is that the Jets WR group really didn’t improve all that much over last year.   The biggest addition is Mims, but he’s only one rookie.  Other than that, it’s still the same collection of cast offs, street FAs and fringe roster players that they had last year.  

while mims+perriman is better than robbie, presumably, you also have to wonder how much they're really relying on herndon to jumpstart the offense.  or are they putting gase's career in the hands of a new OL that they think is the key to really unlocking darnold and he can throw to griffin and berrios and it won't matter b/c darnold is so good.

20 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Go ahead and post the list. The jets are top 5 in open cap space at the moment. There is 75 million open for 2020.

Yes the team is cheap they prioritize cap space over paying players like robby, Sam's most trusted target

Sent from my Pixel 2 using JetNation.com mobile app

The list showing that over the last 5 years they havent been in the bottom 20% proves you right that they dont spend?  How exactly does that work

That the Raven, the Cowboys etc are the cheapest proves your point about winning vs spending how exactly? 

As for facts theyre not $75 mil under, theyre 30.   The season hasn't started yet, that number can change quickly

Point is, we're talking about this season but it hasn't been a trend.  Youre blowing smoke again

• Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Sam's most trusted target, by far, was Jamison Crowder followed by Le'Veon Bell. Robby produced because he was thrust into a #1 role that he didn't really deserve. I liked Anderson, and would've resigned him, but I'm not sensing that anyone associated with the Jets actually misses him. The Jets are loaded with speed at the position right now. 

This narrative of yours remains stale. The team has a new GM, who is just one year into his six-year deal and is hard at work to remake the roster in his image. It was never going to happen just like that. This roster has been decimated by years of mismanagement. Spending just to spend wasn't going to get them anywhere. Over the years, we've seen the Jets sign (or try to sign) the most expensive free agents on the market with generally poor results. I don't understand the desire to return to the days where Tanny trades away half his draft picks and claims to win the offseason. 

I get that I can't get you (or @FidelioJet) to stop bitching and moaning, but I think there's a reason your complaints aren't getting much traction: there's optimism around Joe Douglas. Jets are in position to pillage and plunder in 2021 with all that cap space in what will almost certainly be a lower capped year. I'm willing to sit back and watch some young the Jets develop this season, and see what Joe D does next. 

• Sympathy 2

32 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

while mims+perriman is better than robbie, presumably, you also have to wonder how much they're really relying on herndon to jumpstart the offense.  or are they putting gase's career in the hands of a new OL that they think is the key to really unlocking darnold and he can throw to griffin and berrios and it won't matter b/c darnold is so good.

I get the Herndon thing, but that’s still separate from the WR issues.   Mims is the key to this WR group, IF he can finally get on the field then I think the situation becomes slightly less dire.  It’s still not good, but if Mims, Perriman and Crowder can stay healthy and on the field, then you can start to resemble an NFL offense.  

17 minutes ago, slats said:

Spending just to spend wasn't going to get them anywhere. Over the years, we've seen the Jets sign (or try to sign) the most expensive free agents on the market with generally poor results. I don't understand the desire to return to the days where Tanny trades away half his draft picks and claims to win the offseason. 

I get that I can't get you (or @FidelioJet) to stop bitching and moaning, but I think there's a reason your complaints aren't getting much traction: there's optimism around Joe Douglas. Jets are in position to pillage and plunder in 2021 with all that cap space in what will almost certainly be a lower capped year. I'm willing to sit back and watch some young the Jets develop this season, and see what Joe D does next. 

Ok so let's sort through the facts here

the CBA was just signed and the players/owners agreed to the new cap structure already (this was when the opt-out language was added)

so we know what the new cap will be it's a small reduction about 10 mil each year over the next 4 years

the 2020 cap is unaffected 

this is one reason why vets etc are being resigned league wide is because with more room upfront they can front load these contracts and get the big spends out of the way 

the Jets did it opposite, sold all their shares for this year, the future and beyond

let's make one thing extremely clear @slats im not advocating for "Tanny days" of spending free and easy (although that was the last time they made the playoffs) 

What I want is the Jets to be funded ADEQUATELY 

not extreme spending, not extreme saving, just fund the roster 94%-96% to the cap-  every year steady eddy. The Eagles do this for example and they always have 10 mil left over in case someone gets hurt. 

Im not advocating for 100% or 105% percent spend. 

instead the jets go 87%-94% (signing bell splash year) and right now the roster is UNDERFUNDED

maybe if the Jets had a coaching genius (HAH) and a scouting department for the ages (Double HAH) we could expect an underfunded roster to win games

but this team, with a young QB etc needs all the help it can get

and this small reduction coming in years 2021-24 does not excuse the negligent amount of cap space this team currently has open 

the possibility of Allen Robinson making it to FA is not a reason to keep this amount of cap space 

Unless of course the point is not to win games, just to keep the lights on, in which case, keep calm and carry on, they look like a 4 or 5 win team at the moment 

40 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

The list showing that over the last 5 years they havent been in the bottom 20% proves you right that they dont spend?  How exactly does that work

That the Raven, the Cowboys etc are the cheapest proves your point about winning vs spending how exactly? 

As for facts theyre not $75 mil under, theyre 30.   The season hasn't started yet, that number can change quickly

Point is, we're talking about this season but it hasn't been a trend.  Youre blowing smoke again

Where is this list, please? and by the way the CBA runs in 4 year windows they are in year 1 again so of course a 5 year cherry picked data set will show the "splashes" they made with Trumaine Johnson and Bell. But these are not good moves they are necessary moves to get a team that was under the floor to above the floor.  

they are 75 million under the 2021 cap they are 30 mil under this year's cap (which can roll over)  

i don't see how these numbers will change, unless they do something insane like give Sam an extension or sign Clowney 

the trend by the way does exist, it is real and to spell it out they have not funded the roster spend since 2010-2011. 

and hiring garbage coaches like Bowles and Gase that's not even counted on the Salary cap 

and one more thing, regarding Robby Anderson's value to the team 

yes Crowder was targeted 122 times to Robby's 96

but thats still a ton of targets and consistent as well, he was targetted 94 times the year before 

this is a trusted target for Sam 

and they can't increase Crowder to 150 targets to make up for it 

so what happens next? BP gets 100 targets? maybe. 

they will need Herndon to step up.

but Guess what if Herndon was a reliable human being he would have gone rd 1 from Miami instead of rd 4. the whole scouting community (jets included) knew this guy was a scumbag 

and yes that's the word I use for guys who drive drunk at 100 mph on the NJT and jackknife a 70 year old man from behind with their SUV

people say I am down on the Jets these are facts my friends. read the police report

If Herndon was a NE patriot we'd have a different opinion about his reliability 

• Upvote 1