Twitter Question: Did the NFL strip Manish Mehta of his credentials

Rhg1084

14 minutes ago, ryu79 said:

Could this be related to the burner account thing last year? Maybe they investigated further? (Speculating)

If his credentials were taken away by the NFL, it would have to be related to finding definitive proof of this or something similarly unethical.

You can't just take away credentials because the guy is a pain in the ass who gets disgruntled people to feed him info. 

• Upvote 2

57 minutes ago, Rhg1084 said:

According to Jerry Recco on WFAN this morning. Wonder what happened!

I changed the title of this thread to reflect the nature of this question. This is a big statement and I want it to be clear that JetNation isn't breaking this, we don't know if it is true and we definitely don't have any first-hand information about it either way.

• Upvote 4

33 minutes ago, mrcoops said:

It was apparently mentioned on radio this morning.

Not confirmed yet, but lots of people have been asking MM about it on Twitter. He hasn't denied it, or responded at all, yet.

I just messasged Coinor hughes on twatter asking if the rumor had legs, we'll see...

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

You think people in the Press should retain their credentials even if they have violated the rules attached to having those press credentials? 

Yes.  I think the NFL wants to have free press and control who gets credentials.  That's not how journalism works.  The NFL can pay for their publicity and ban the press if they want to.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Not only does Manish lose his credentials but maybe the rest of trash that covers the Jets will be on notice.

It could explain why Gase has been giving the other beat reporters, especially Cimini, a rough time lately - perhaps sort of a “don’t troll me or you could lose your credentials too” attitude. 

• Upvote 1

Here's a little background info I found on this Charles McDonald guy who has been at camp recently and writing a lot of Jets articles for the NYDN.

https://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/nfl/bs-sp-charles-mcdonald-mcdonogh-new-york-daily-news-mcdonogh-20200626-y6i7dppatbcgrfl2ixpaowlsly-story.html

Seems like a nice guy with a good story....but he's at the Daily News so I suspect we'll all hate him in a few months.

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Biggs said:

Yes.  I think the NFL wants to have free press and control who gets credentials.  That's not how journalism works.  The NFL can pay for their publicity and ban the press if they want to.  

NFL is a business. Like any other business, they can control who gets access inside to report on their business. 

20 minutes ago, Biggs said:

So the way journalism works is that private companies MUST give everyone press credentials and can never revoke those credentials no matter what that individual member of the press says or does? 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, playtowinthegame said:

How can a beat reporter for the Jets stay employed if he loses his press credentials? It's like a lawyer keeping his job at the firm after being disbarred.

Welcome to ProFootballTalk, Manish.  Or Bleacher/Report if even PFT won't have you.

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, playtowinthegame said:

How can a beat reporter for the Jets stay employed if he loses his press credentials? It's like a lawyer keeping his job at the firm after being disbarred.

Depends how much the DN likes him and if he can develop other beats. Also, depends what their payroll situation (NOT GOOD!!!), looks like relative to revenue (NOT GOOD!!!). So, you would have to think, if this is all true, that Mehta's use to the DN is very little.

• Upvote 3

11 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

NFL is a business. Like any other business, they can control who gets access inside to report on their business. 

I think the rest of the "Free" press should stop covering the NFL until they allow access.  It's a two way street.  Business's aren't entitled to control the narrative of a free press.  They can deny access and if they do the rest of the press has an obligation to turn off the free coverage. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, rangerous said:

so now he'll go talk up (down) the giants and myers will be assigned to the jets.  kind of a lateral move.

Not if the NFL pulled his card.  That's what's interesting.  Often a team will do it, but I don't recall hearing the NFL doing it at a league level before.

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

So the way journalism works is that private companies MUST give everyone press credentials and can never revoke those credentials no matter what that individual member of the press says or does? 

No they shouldn't pretend that they are being covered by a free press.   They should pay professional media consultants to do put out press releases. 

If you want to control the narrative and you're a private company pay for the narrative.  

• Upvote 1

Just now, Biggs said:

I think the rest of the "Free" press should stop covering the NFL until they allow access.  It's a two way street.  Business's aren't entitled to control the narrative of a free press.  They can deny access and if they do the rest of the press has an obligation to turn off the free coverage. 

And have declines in readership (meaning less revenue) as a byproduct? Unlikely.

1 minute ago, nycdan said:

Not if the NFL pulled his card.  That's what's interesting.  Often a team will do it, but I don't recall hearing the NFL doing it at a league level before.

Therein lies the intrigue. One would have to guess that there is some ethical line that Mehta would have crossed. You don't get credentials taken away for just being an ass.

Again, if this is all true.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Biggs said:

No they shouldn't pretend that they are being covered by a free press.   They should pay professional media consultants to do put out press releases. 

This isn't a league-wide shut-down of free press.  This is a rumor that one guy had his card pulled.  Since we don't know what precipitated it, it's a little much to be shouting about free press.  The league certainly should maintain its right to deny access to reporters under certain situations.  There are still plenty of reporters doing reporter things.  

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, Biggs said:

Lol.

The "free" press needs the NFL more than the NFL needs the "free" press.

Let all the major newspapers in the country stop covering the NFL and what little money newspapers make will go buh-bye.

• Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, Biggs said:

Hi Manish,

I wish you all the best in your future endeavors

• Haha 3

28 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

Therein lies the intrigue. One would have to guess that there is some ethical line that Mehta would have crossed. You don't get credentials taken away for just being an ass.

Again, if this is all true.

If it's ethical his credentials should be pulled by his employer. 

• Upvote 1