Twitter Question: Did the NFL strip Manish Mehta of his credentials

Rhg1084

36 minutes ago, Biggs said:

No they shouldn't pretend that they are being covered by a free press.   They should pay professional media consultants to do put out press releases. 

If you want to control the narrative and you're a private company pay for the narrative.  

I don't understand why you think a member of the press is entitled to credentials even if he violates the terms of those credentials. What if he used his credentials to commit a crime or leak info about the Jets to another team? 

Again, this is all assuming this story is true and that the league, Jets, have a good reason for doing what they did. 

1 hour ago, Jet Nut said:

The talk was that the JETS should take away his credentials if I remember correctly 

A far different story.

Thats fair. I guess I was less worried about the Jets being the ones who did it, and more concerned that it needed to happen in general. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, jetstream23 said:

But that secondhand info we have...and all this speculation.... it's really, really saucy!

picard GIF

Seeing as Manish's "scoops" are all based on speculation, secondhand knowledge, and his personal opinions, I have zero qualms with sh*tting on Manish right now despite not having this confirmed yet.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, MykePM said:

It could explain why Gase has been giving the other beat reporters, especially Cimini, a rough time lately - perhaps sort of a “don’t troll me or you could lose your credentials too” attitude. 

i saw that exchange - and my view was that Gase was playing around with Cimini.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Biggs said:

I think the rest of the "Free" press should stop covering the NFL until they allow access.  It's a two way street.  Business's aren't entitled to control the narrative of a free press.  They can deny access and if they do the rest of the press has an obligation to turn off the free coverage. 

Yeah, obligation to what exactly?  

Lets see all the media guys who walk away from covering their teams and give up their paychecks because Manish did something egregious enough to get his ass thrown out of covering an NFL team.

Whatever he did had to be unethical, something much worse than just talking badly about the Jets.  So theyre not trying to control the narrative of anyone at this point. 

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, batman10023 said:

manish is tweeting about stuff gase and others are saying at the PC.  so probably nothing.

He's probably hiding in the corner of the room while the McDonald dude for the Daily News is participating on the zoom conference calls.

29 minutes ago, Bruce Harper said:

Most obvious thing that we know about is setting up that fake twitter account and trying to pin it on Gase or his family.  Extremely problematic, if true.

I still think that was set up by the Jets very own lame PR department.  There was compelling evidence.

11 minutes ago, Greenbloodblitz said:

Awesome! Probably the result of an investigation into the Gase burner account. Sayonara motherfuker

Pretty sure the Jets PR team was running that fake burner account.

But it wouldn't surprise me if Manish had a burner of his own.  It's obvious he's been trying to sabotage Gase since he snapped at him at a press conference early last season.

40 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

If they pulled Manish’s credentials solely because of his hacky coverage, every other beat reporter should be up in arms over this because they need to show solidarity. If they let the Jets can Manish, then the next step will be ending any one of them for reporting on any story that the org simply dislikes. If it’s true they pulled Manish’s tag, it’s because of something more serious that likely impacted the other people on the beat. It’s clear he’s despised among his colleagues, so it could be any number of malfeasances.

If it were the Jets, then I say there may be something wonky going on.

That it is the NFL that has done this, I would guess that there is a little more meat. At least I would hope so.

• Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

If they pulled Manish’s credentials solely because of his hacky coverage, every other beat reporter should be up in arms over this because they need to show solidarity. If they let the Jets can Manish, then the next step will be ending any one of them for reporting on any story that the org simply dislikes. If it’s true they pulled Manish’s tag, it’s because of something more serious that likely impacted the other people on the beat. It’s clear he’s despised among his colleagues, so it could be any number of malfeasances.

Mehta sucks but Costello and Vachiano aren’t much better

15 minutes ago, Biggs said:

We would have you to point it out.  

Nah, that's not how this works.  We're not capable of calling out Mehta for all the sketchy, unethical sh*t he does.  It's up to journalists themselves or their bosses to be the ethical ones. 

And if not, then the NFL is justifiable in stepping in on this one.  You act like they're setting a horrid precedent.  No, the precedent would be "don't do what Manish does."  Pretty easy rule to follow.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, batman10023 said:

i saw that exchange - and my view was that Gase was playing around with Cimini.  

There were two “heated” exchanges between Gase and Cimini.  The one about the scrimmage (“Just show up.  You have nothing better to do.”) seemed like it may have been a little playful.  The one the day before, where Gase thought Cimini was trying to stir up a Bell-Gore playing time controversy, was a little more intense.

30 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Yeah, obligation to what exactly?  

Lets see all the media guys who walk away from covering their teams and give up their paychecks because Manish did something egregious enough to get his ass thrown out of covering an NFL team.

Whatever he did had to be unethical, something much worse than just talking badly about the Jets.  So theyre not trying to control the narrative of anyone at this point. 

You would have done well working for Pravda.  

I always look to the NFL when I have an ethical dilemma.  

Edited by Biggs

3 minutes ago, Biggs said:

You would have done well working for Pravda.  

I always look to the NFL when I have an ethical dilemma.  

It should speak volumes that the NFL may have finally said "enough is enough". 

Mehta deserves zero benefit of the doubt on this one, if its true that his credentials were indeed pulled.