Denzel Mims Expects to be Ready for Week 1

JetNation

Denzel Mims

Some reason for optimism out of Jets camp today as rookie receiver Denzel Mims was seen participating in some positional drills for the first time the preseason.

#Jets rookie WR Denzel Mims was asked if he thinks he’ll be ready to play in Week 1:

“Most definitely.”

— Dennis Waszak Jr. (@DWAZ73) September 2, 2020

Mims was asked if he thinks he’ll be ready for week 1 and said he “Most definitely” believes he will be.  While extensive reps with starting quarterback Sam Darnold would have been ideal this preseason, that clearly wasn’t in the cards and now the two will learn on the fly.

Mims is expected to pair with free agent Breshad Perriman in giving the Jets a pair of explosive downfield receivers to challenge opposing secondaries.

The post Denzel Mims Expects to be Ready for Week 1 appeared first on JetNation.com (NY Jets Blog & Forum).

Jetnationcom?d=yIl2AUoC8zA Jetnationcom?d=qj6IDK7rITs
S9mTrpMh3Bo

Click here to read the full story...

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 3

1 hour ago, TNJet said:

6 catches 2 TDs week 1.

21-17 Jets.

The guy hasn’t had one ball thrown to him from Sam Darnold all offseason. Both have  no chemistry , or timing working together. ( big deal) Silly to think he be anything more than a decoy in week one.      Going to take weeks or months before both can get on the same page.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Raideraholic said:

The guy hasn’t had one ball thrown to him from Sam Darnold all offseason. Both have  no chemistry , or timing working together. ( big deal) Silly to think he be anything more than a decoy in week one.      Going to take weeks or months before both can get on the same page.

Hows AB turning out for the Raiders?

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, TNJet said:

Hows AB turning out for the Raiders?

Jmo Denzel Mims will have the same impact as Antonio Brown had for the Raiders. None. This isn’t you  playing in some flag football league where you just go out there and play. Let me give you example that applies more than AB situation.  See Zay Jones who came to the Raiders last year in early season trade, him and Derek Carr had no chemistry, or  Timing as it was basically a lost year for him.     With no training camp he was so far behind the other wr in the trust of Derek Carr.    Zay Jones made it a point to workout with D Carr all offseason( even during covid-19).    Zay Jones dropped some weight, and has looked like a different receiver this year.

Now never said D Mims was going to be a bust, just that the injuries set him back bigtime this year , that will probably have effect on him all year.  Probably don’t see real D Mims till 2021.

• Thumb Down 1

12 hours ago, JetNation said:

Denzel Mims

Some reason for optimism out of Jets camp today as rookie receiver Denzel Mims was seen participating in some positional drills for the first time the preseason.

#Jets rookie WR Denzel Mims was asked if he thinks he’ll be ready to play in Week 1:

“Most definitely.

Jets WR’s going deep on opening day!

12 hours ago, Larz said:

Missing the entire install of the offense will set him way back. Like lost season back 

That's absurd. So yo are telling me they can't put him out there to run a go route or a comeback or a quick slant? They can't put him out there on a screen? They can't have him out there as a decoy or just to be out there to block so he get comfortable in the offense. He's gone for the season because he missed camp. STOP IT ALREADY.  

34 minutes ago, PepPep said:

That's absurd. So yo are telling me they can't put him out there to run a go route or a comeback or a quick slant? They can't put him out there on a screen? They can't have him out there as a decoy or just to be out there to block so he get comfortable in the offense. He's gone for the season because he missed camp. STOP IT ALREADY.  

The situation reminds me a little bit of the Jets last 2nd round WR Devin Smith. Smith missed all of his rookie training camp with a broken ribs and didn’t return until week 3. The Jets designed some plays for him, but he mostly struggled until an ACL tear ended his season prematurely. 

The Jets will try to get Mims involved like they did with Smith five years ago. It’s up to Mims to make the most of his reps. 

7 hours ago, PepPep said:

He got hurt before padded practices lol. He missed the most important part of camp. Not a good start. He's going to struggle 

17 hours ago, Raideraholic said:

Jmo Denzel Mims will have the same impact as Antonio Brown had for the Raiders. None. This isn’t you  playing in some flag football league where you just go out there and play. Let me give you example that applies more than AB situation.  See Zay Jones who came to the Raiders last year in early season trade, him and Derek Carr had no chemistry, or  Timing as it was basically a lost year for him.     With no training camp he was so far behind the other wr in the trust of Derek Carr.    Zay Jones made it a point to workout with D Carr all offseason( even during covid-19).    Zay Jones dropped some weight, and has looked like a different receiver this year.

Now never said D Mims was going to be a bust, just that the injuries set him back bigtime this year , that will probably have effect on him all year.  Probably don’t see real D Mims till 2021.

Mims >> AB

Everytime I see Denzel my mind automatically autopilots to Denzel Washington for a millisecond.  "Oh, isn't that nice, Denzel Washington signed with the Jets. Looks like another Oscar win in the making if he can get into character enough. I never took him to play a loser type, but that just shows you his greatness and what a chameleon he is . . . Hmmmph, unlike that overrated Scientology midget, Tom Cruise, who is Tom Cruise playing Tom Cruise in every movie. Wait, what? Ohhhhh, right, Denzel Mims."

OK, I'm on Mims now. I have high hopes for the guy.