If you're Joe Douglas, do you add anyone?

AFJF

I don't understand why we didn't re-sign Anderson. Other than that, not sure what else can be done.

We will leave out the head cases as they can be as much of a problem as a solution. The question is the problem coaching or Sam? If it is either, doesn't really matter who he signed.

Not sure what WR would have come in and had enough time with Sam. This is a crappy year. Not trying to make excuses for Joe, but it is what it is. Again, not sure why he let Robbie walk, other than that.....

I don't think it is being 'cheap'; i think mostly for team chemistry, etc. he is only interested in either patching immediate holes or signing long term players. He has had really only one off season and draft - next year, he had better draft well and sign a couple of players (including our own), but I think the pressure is off of him.

Now Gase, well, that is another story - yes, this season has sucked, and his roster isn't very good, but the team did not look prepared, while other teams did... that is on him.

• Post of the Week 1

12 hours ago, varjet said:

JD could have hedged his bet for this year by re-signing Anderson.  That would have made a huge difference in the weapons Sam had to use.

Not signing him was a step in the tank direction.  

I don't get why people refuse to understand the Jets offered more money than Carolina. Anderson just wanted to play for his college coach. You can't blame Douglas for this at all. Also, we need to give Perriman a chance. He is in a new system with a new team and no practice games and was injured for most of the practices. The teams that had less turnover from last year played the best in the first game. It's really no surprise.

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, varjet said:

JD could have hedged his bet for this year by re-signing Anderson.  That would have made a huge difference in the weapons Sam had to use.

Not signing him was a step in the tank direction.  

He was offered $40 million and he turned it down.  Knowing how toxic Gase is Robby probably turned down JD’s offer and $20 million more just to get away from Gase

3 minutes ago, Greensleeves said:

I don't get why people refuse to understand the Jets offered more money than Carolina. Anderson just wanted to play for his college coach. You can't blame Douglas for this at all. Also, we need to give Perriman a chance. He is in a new system with a new team and no practice games and was injured for most of the practices. The teams that had less turnover from last year played the best in the first game. It's really no surprise.

Not sure why people are acting like JD didn’t offer Robby twice as much money as the Panthers

players run from Gase

22 hours ago, rangerous said:

the punter did pretty well yesterday.  it wasn't his fault they lost and i doubt if edwards would've done any better.

Was he outpunting the coverage, does the coverage team just suck, or was the Bills return guy that good (if so, if the jets ever get their hands on a return guy like that, they ought to hold on to him.)

9 minutes ago, Sonny Werblin said:

Was he outpunting the coverage, does the coverage team just suck, or was the Bills return guy that good (if so, if the jets ever get their hands on a return guy like that, they ought to hold on to him.)

He is a very good punter. Maybe the coverage teams need to figure out he has a cannon for a leg. Considering our 3 and outs last game, I'm already glad we used a pick on him. 

• Upvote 1

The rumor was that Robby was offered a 4 year/40 year contract with the Jets.  That contract "bound" Robby for 4 years at an average of $10mm/year.   We don't know what was guaranteed there.

The Panthers gave him 2 years/$20mm, which sounds like half, but Robby wanted to bet on himself and have the opportunity to hit FA again in no later than 2 years.  The Panthers paid him $12mm this year and have the option to pay him $8mm next year.  

So its an apple and orange really.  What is interesting, if this is true, was that this was a player JD actually wanted to keep around for awhile, and the player did not want to.  

Unfortunately, "sales" can be part of a coach's job.  Contrary to what CJ said, to paraphrase, I don't know if Gase if relating to football players in a way that is consistent to where football is going.  

• Upvote 1

On 9/14/2020 at 12:59 AM, ryu79 said:

I could love with the process, but not getting a WR this year really irks me. Whether Diggs in Buffalo or Hopkins in Arizona, if we weren't going to resign Robby, I wanted a material upgrade...

Needs to consider getting a  real WR. If OBJ's contract can be dumped at season's end, may be you consider it.

But would part with a #1 and look for Shuster now. Has to be Target#1 in March. Even if it's unlikely to happen now, make the call. Don't pretend that makes any sense for the Steelers, who do not appear to care about resigning him at all. Off last night, looks like they will let things play out and let him go. 

1 hour ago, Sonny Werblin said:

i don't think he outpunted the coverage.  it looked like the gunner just didn't take the right angle and there were also a few missed tackles.

On 9/14/2020 at 2:36 AM, GREENBEAN said:

Just spitballing here...

Or maybe they brought in a slew of guys that Gase likes. Tall athletic OL Fant, Becton, McGovern.  RB's that hit the hole fast like Frank Gore and drafted perine. Tall fast WR's like Perriman and Denzel Mims etc. Cut ties with guys Gase didn't like such as Robby, Jamal, Beachum etc and think that Gase has been given enough to be respectable and if he can't get to that tier it's an excuse to cut ties and move on.   Maybe JD didn't want to bring in anymore of Gase's guys because he didn't want to commit any more than he has in a dead man walking. 

I think this Joe Douglas character just might be cold blooded. 

I like your analysis, but not your conclusion. This isn't cold blooded, it's applying intelligence and decision making, two things our front office has been lacking for years. As people always say, this is a business. JD came in with a plan to build a winning team, not to make friends and influence people. If JD decides a player, or a coach, is not helping the team succeed, then he will part ways with that player or coach. Not based on being cold blooded, but based on trying to build a winning team.

• Upvote 1

What we aren't accepting is that JD seems to be fully looking to rebuild this thing. To us - we've gone through a decade of rebuilding, so the expectation was that maybe we're finally gonna go for it... but perhaps it's time we realize that this thing is going to be a 'process' (ugh)

23 hours ago, Warfish said:

For 2020?  No, I don't.

If I am Douglas, I do the following:

1. I fire Gase at the end of the Season.  I do not see him ever being a Super Bowl type Coach, so he's gone.

2. I replace him with someone legitimate, with a record of some success somewhere as a Head Coach.  I prefer a Pro, but I'd take an exceptional college Coach if I had to.

1. Gase doesn't report to JD, so JD CAN'T fire him! Why don't people on this board understand that?

2. Not up to JD, unless Chris Johnson suddenly grows a brain and turns the process over to JD (not likely; Chris is even dumber than Woody, and that's saying something...).

23 hours ago, bostonmajet said:

I don't understand why we didn't re-sign Anderson. Other than that, not sure what else can be done.

Like any good business person, JD sets a maximum value for a player, ANY player, and won't go beyond that number. I don't want to start another RA thread, but RA was a decent, not great (maybe not even good) receiver. The fact that we didn't have any other receivers should not change his value. JD set a value, and RA wouldn't accept that number, so JD moved on. Smart business decision, no matter what you think of RA. JD determined a value and stuck to it.

If MacMoron had done that, we wouldn't be in such bad financial shape (how many millions are we going to wind up paying Mosley for his one game Jets career?).

6 hours ago, viffer said:

Like any good business person, JD sets a maximum value for a player, ANY player, and won't go beyond that number. I don't want to start another RA thread, but RA was a decent, not great (maybe not even good) receiver. The fact that we didn't have any other receivers should not change his value. JD set a value, and RA wouldn't accept that number, so JD moved on. Smart business decision, no matter what you think of RA. JD determined a value and stuck to it.

If MacMoron had done that, we wouldn't be in such bad financial shape (how many millions are we going to wind up paying Mosley for his one game Jets career?).

It sounds like JD overplayed Robby a little bit.  

He got the value right, but he wanted to lock him up for 4 years.  So if JD bets right, he gets Robby cheap years 3 and 4.

Robby wanted to bet on himself after 2 years, which to me is quasi-crazy.

I would have hoped Robby would have countered either with 1) the Panthers deal or a little more-2 years/$20mm/$12mm year 1 guaranteed, or maybe more guaranteed under the longer contract to set himself for life, with the option to Mosley it.  

I agree with what JD is doing with the defense now, and I would agree with the offense if we did have the 3rd pick in the draft 3rd QB to evaluate and develop.  Darnold needed more than what he has, unless the intent is the Tannehill/Mariota/Winston him after 4-5 years. 

On 9/14/2020 at 12:51 AM, pdxgreen said:

Well.  He's very much letting Gase sink or swim on his own merits.  I also think he's very much old fashioned as far as front office guy in how he views talent and player relations.  What can be gold blooded is probably the way of the teams he worked for.  Something I remember a scout saying about Douglas was that he got really pissed off when Howie Roseman accorded the Eagles analytics department so much say in the draft process.  It was probably a good reason why he came here.  But I don't think he plans to changes his methods or long term plans for anything.

And I wouldn't want him to. I'm just talking about his secret plans for his "buddy" Adam Gase   Bwahahahahahaa 

On 9/14/2020 at 10:11 AM, rangerous said:

c'mon.  he was a mac pick.  what not to like?

Such a bad pick. I'm rooting for him of course, but jeesh.  I'm just hoping Bless can keep this up. It will redeem the entire draft in  a way.  Sadly, that was the draft that lost me on Macc.  I thought Bowels was the issue with player selection. Seems not. 

• Upvote 1

On 9/14/2020 at 10:16 AM, johnnysd said:

Not sure I agree wholheartedly about the OL. Protection was decent but a lot of pressure up the middle and even when he had "time" to throw- that magical 3s the pocket was being compressed so it was not really good protection of the QB...however Becton looked OK (2 pressures, 1 sack) Fant -(havent seen statistics yet) seemed really solid we just didnt do well up the middle. but I think this group can develop well. Not convinced Pollack is the guy TBH

There were a few blown assignments in the middle where we missed the blitzer or stunt. That's exactly what we would hope the issues are at this point. It's when guys are lost or just flat out getting dominated that we have a real problem. The word on every guy we Brought in for the OL is that they have above average intelligence. That bodes well for the idea that they will congeal as time goes on.  There was plenty of time on more plays than not, but that's not to say that there wasn't pressure. But we have legit hope there. 

Turns out Becton had the best week of the rookie OL dudes. he was 11th in the league where Thomas, Wirfs, Wills and the rest were in 50-60th range.  And that was against some serious dudes. Jerry Hughes beat Becton for the sack I'm pretty sure.  That's to be expected in his first game but he played very well.  I think Van Roten had the toughest day and that bleeds into McGovern but they will get there. Sam just has to hit the receivers and we will be better off. 

11 hours ago, viffer said:

I like your analysis, but not your conclusion. This isn't cold blooded, it's applying intelligence and decision making, two things our front office has been lacking for years. As people always say, this is a business. JD came in with a plan to build a winning team, not to make friends and influence people. If JD decides a player, or a coach, is not helping the team succeed, then he will part ways with that player or coach. Not based on being cold blooded, but based on trying to build a winning team.

Yeah but That's literally what I'm saying. The cold blooded term was just being used to insinuate that he just might have the balls to apply the theory t I was talking about.   I hear ya. It's what I WANT to see from our GM. I don't give a sh*t if anyone likes him as a person. I just want him to be able to make the tough decisions. The Jamal trade gives us reason to believe he might, but the Gase situation will be how we really know who he is. 

If this type of play continues, Id prefer Gase is gone by week 5. 

On 9/14/2020 at 2:36 AM, GREENBEAN said:

Just spitballing here...

Or maybe they brought in a slew of guys that Gase likes. Tall athletic OL Fant, Becton, McGovern.  RB's that hit the hole fast like Frank Gore and drafted perine. Tall fast WR's like Perriman and Denzel Mims etc. Cut ties with guys Gase didn't like such as Robby, Jamal, Beachum etc and think that Gase has been given enough to be respectable and if he can't get to that tier it's an excuse to cut ties and move on.   Maybe JD didn't want to bring in anymore of Gase's guys because he didn't want to commit any more than he has in a dead man walking. 

I think this Joe Douglas character just might be cold blooded. 

I believe every JET fan hopes you're correct... It would be in his best interest even though Gase wanted him here, to be in the Johnson's brothers ears, and convince them he's got a plan, and if that means a new head coach so be it.

On 9/14/2020 at 2:05 AM, GREENBEAN said:

The real issue of the season is whether or not Sam can make lemonade this year. The OL played fairly well and will get better as they gel. 

That was the BIGGEST takeaway for me on what I watched on Sunday.  Everyone is complaining about how bad our WR's are.  I watched the first half of the game only.  I saw Darnold WILDLY over throw or just outright miss about 6 passes.  This is on Darnold.  He has this season, or he will be relegated to the delete pile.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Speaking of the jags

James Morgan is our Gardner minshew

The fans just don't realize it yet

Sent from my Pixel 2 using JetNation.com mobile app

Somebody in the front office thinks that as  well or they don’t use a fourth on him with so many needs. If Sam plays bed few more games a reason will arise to sit him and then we will see. I honestly dont see Flacco ready until after mid season. 

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, CanadaSteve said:

That was the BIGGEST takeaway for me on what I watched on Sunday.  Everyone is complaining about how bad our WR's are.  I watched the first half of the game only.  I saw Darnold WILDLY over throw or just outright miss about 6 passes.  This is on Darnold.  He has this season, or he will be relegated to the delete pile.

Sadly I feel similarly.  I still believe in the kid but I honestly think we're ruining him.  It sucks to say it but it's true. It all began when we drafted Nathan Shepard, who I like but was a dumb pick.  We have not given him anything and his coach isn't helping.  Gase has no idea what to teach Sam imo. It's clear for all to see. 

Sad 

On 9/14/2020 at 1:09 AM, jetstream23 said:

Can't really do that yet.  Wouldn't get any kind of return.  He's still on a rookie contract so the likely path would be a Trubisky-like situation where they don't pick up the 5th year option and let him play out his deal, maybe fielding offers in Year 4 if he looks decent but not starting caliber.

For the record, I still think Darnold is a starting caliber QB in this league.

Unfortunately he’s being coached by a sh*t show guru