Poll: Are you ready to move on from Sam?

TuscanyTile2

Poll: Are you ready to move on from Sam?  

209 members have voted

1. 1. Poll: Are you ready to move on from Sam?

• Nope, I still have faith in the guy
    • Not yet but I'm legitimately worried about him being a bust
    • Stick a fork in him. It's time to move on.
    • Let's give him a little more time before making this judgment

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 09/20/2020 at 04:17 PM

No - he made some pretty bogus mistakes yesterday but the Bills do that to a lot of QBs. It's easy to forget how talented their roster is, it's very reminiscent of Rex's Jets. If Allen plays like he did yesterday, the Bills will take the division. I don't see him holding that type of performance all season though.

Sam has the entirety of this season... if somehow this team is picking top 10/5, our hands have been forced in terms of looking at other QBs.

I think that ultimately Sam is our QB for next season as well... whether the fans are behind him or booing him as he's running out of the tunnel next season is the bigger question

I thought that Sam would be the guy to deliver us top echelon quarterback play, but I'm not seeing it. It's concerning that at the start of his third year, he is making the same mistakes as he did in his first year. The lack of a proper training camp and no preseason need to be factored in, but he has to demonstrate substantial improvement over the course of the season, otherwise Douglas would be negligent if he didn't look at options.

11 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

I still have faith that Sam is the man but I want to see what the forum thinks.

EDIT:

I added a 4th choice: 

"Let's give him a little more time before making this judgment"

I think all you are doing is letting the chicken littles in the forum have a place to scream the sky is falling. No preseason,  5 new players on the OL, 2 new WR's, a third new WR didn't  even play, Herndon first game since missing practically the entire season before playing against a Bills team that just added a solid WR that we should have added and brought back practically the same team they had last season. What did anyone expect. I was pissing myself reading the predictions the Jets would blow them out. We are a bad team, we just took a step up from the horrific  of last season

16 hours ago, DonMaynardFan said:

Well, that's sort of a tricky question.

Because I think Darnold could become an Alex Smith level of QB. 

Game manager, move the chains sometimes, get 10 wins on a very talented team.

But will he ever win a Super Bowl???

NOPE.

If Trent Dilfer won a Super Bowl, Hackenburg could win one

7 hours ago, More Cowbell said:

I think all you are doing is letting the chicken littles in the forum have a place to scream the sky is falling. No preseason,  5 new players on the OL, 2 new WR's, a third new WR didn't  even play, Herndon first game since missing practically the entire season before playing against a Bills team that just added a solid WR that we should have added and brought back practically the same team they had last season. What did anyone expect. I was pissing myself reading the predictions the Jets would blow them out. We are a bad team, we just took a step up from the horrific  of last season

For him to come out and play that game in week 1 is alarming. 

Sam will teeter back and forth under Gase. He’s a talented kid. This, however, could be his downfall since it might entice JD to keep Gase. Sam needs to get away from this bum ASAP.  He’s still very young and maturing. He’s had a very rough start to his career and the talent level around him is just abysmal. Look at Tannehill. Another talented QB who struggled mightily in the beginning and finally has emerged from the depths of Gase’s disgrace. Something drastic must be done before it’s too late and we lose this kid. He’s a smart kid and he’s not going to put up with this crap much longer and scoot as soon as he can if JD can’t get this straightened out fairly quickly.

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 1

Sam's window with the Jets is just about closed. We really don't know what we have in him and he's getting close to extension time.

Do we extend or franchise Sam down the road, spending millions while passing up the opportunity to pick from a pretty good QB group in next year's draft? Or does Joe Douglas cut ties and start fresh with his choice of QB?

It's a shame, but we know how this story goes. And honestly, with Sam still making the same poor decisions in year 3 he did as a rook, I can't blame Douglas if he wants to turn the page. Poor kid never had a chance with the bad coaching he's received here.

The difference in this is that jd knows darnold stinks and drafted Morgan.

The Jets have made holding on to statistically inconsistent and abysmal quarterbacks for way too long their business for over 10 years. We held on to Hackenberg for an actual extra ******* year. What the Jets should do and what they will do are almost always two very different things.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using JetNation.com mobile app

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, UntouchableCrew said:

I think you obviously have to give him the rest of this season. How the season plays out -- both in terms of our draft position and what he shows -- will determine what we do.

If the offense looks like it did yesterday and we go 2-14 or 3-13 then I think you to draft Trevor Lawrence. The guy is a Luck/Manning type prospect who is perfect for the modern game. In this scenario you assume Gase is gone too. Clean slate, new offense.

If he bounces back and has a similar season to last year (maybe slightly better stats, we go 6-10) I think you continue to build the offense through the draft while scouting the next round of QBs. He's probably not the guy but you probably let him play out his rookie deal without picking up his 5th year option.

If yesterday was an aberration (the Bills are legitimately nasty and as we get healthy the offense starts to look good) and he takes a leap obviously you feel pretty good about his future here. You pick up the 5th year option and look to continue to add pieces around him.

agreed ... but i also think you draft a QB no matter what .. you can never have too many good QBs

19 hours ago, Y3k said:

Sam gets this whole season to show what he’s got. I’m not going to crucify him for playing poorly against the best passing D in the NFL in windy buffalo. 

I just want to see consistently composed well executed play. I dont care about wins and losses. 

45 minutes ago, DonMaynardFan said:

Yeah, it only took a top 3 defense of all time.

Good luck.

And in a completely different era of football.  The NFL in 2000 might as well be 1985 compared to what its like today. 

In fact 2000 is closer to 1985 by 5 years than 2000 is to 2020, which is just weird to me.

• Upvote 2

I think this organization has failed him.  Let’s be honest what other QBs in this league could thrive on this team?  I can’t think of even one.  

Year one was wasted on a lame duck head coach and we gave him Gase for year two and things didn’t start to improve until Darnold told Gase what he felt comfortable with.  Year three he has a new OL that he needs to gel with and basically downgraded WRs from years one and two.  

People can hope and pray for another QB all they want but this organization is a cesspool.  Who wants to coach here?  Who wants to play here?