The Joe Douglas Honeymoon

sec101row23

He didnt address kicker last season and it came back to haunt us.He brought back matt kalil and it was a disaster. 

He had two well respected players in Quincy enunwa and osemele suddenly have issues with the team.

He had jamal adams force his way off the team rather than play for him and Gase. He had robbie Anderson who appeared to like it here, walk.

He signed a bunch of journeyman to prove it deals and none seem to have worked out. 

The honeymoon should be long over. The questionable stuff is starting to pile up.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

Khalil / Harrison / McGovern is a festering controversy that JD is responsible for. 

Khalil was a disaster, but he admitted the mistake and it resolved when Harrison went back in last year, but now Harrison has been released and McGovern is meh. 

The Robbie Anderson / Periman fiasco looks like it will be the sauce that gets all over JDs clothes with no club soda in sight. It’s not just about these two players either — the entire WR group is terrible. Please tell me Demaryius Thomas wouldn’t be an improvement. 

Jamal Adams is the best looking decision but it really devastated the teams chances this year and made it plain to every one on the team that this year is a throw away.

Becton and Mann look like bullseyes. But the rest of the draft looks like dookie Rn.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Which "good players" would you have liked to add? 

Keep in mind that Jack Conklin is already hurt in Cleveland and not starting.  

Re-signing Robby would have made the team better, that was a huge mistake. And while I admittedly didn’t want Jamal to be traded last year before the deadline, trading him to Dallas and having CeeDee would be a huge boost. Like I said, Maccagnan ****ed us, and I still believe in Douglas but early results aren’t great. 

• Upvote 2

Just now, jgb said:

JD may be Idziking his old buddy Gase. The power of being in year 1 of a 6 year deal. No way Cheapodee and Cheapodumb cut JD before year 4. Idzik was a dummy to try this move on the backend of his contract.

Agreed, but as others have pointed out, being noncompetitive wears thin very quickly with the media and fanbase - especially a fanbase that has seen almost nothing but losing . Idzik at least had the advantage of going 8-8 his first season, to buy himself time. 

If Douglas goes 2-14 this year, there will be massive pressure to have success right away next season with his new coach/QB. You have to field a competitive team for this fanbase/NY media - look at how much Macc (a demonstrably terrible GM) got out of squeezing 10 wins out of some good veterans. 

Douglas is trying to do things the right way, but I’m already worried that he won’t be allowed to here. If we go 2-14, you will see people talking about fire Douglas billboards within a year. 

2 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

LOL.

Yes, because Jamal Adams made this team competitive the previous 3 seasons he was here.

Let’s play a game. What makes the team more competitive this year:

Jamal Adams or two future first rounders?

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, slimjasi said:

Agreed, but as others have pointed out, being noncompetitive wears thin very quickly with the media and fanbase - especially a fanbase that has seen almost nothing but losing . Idzik at least had the advantage of going 8-8 his first season, to buy himself time. 

If Douglas goes 2-14 this year, there will be massive pressure to have success right away next season with his new coach/QB. You have to field a competitive team for this fanbase/NY media - look at how much Macc (a demonstrably terrible GM) got out of squeezing 10 wins out of some good veterans. 

Douglas is trying to do things the right way, but I’m already worried that he won’t be allowed to here. If we go 2-14, you will see people talking about fire Douglas billboards within a year. 

He has a 6-year contract for a reason.  He has until 2022/2023 to make this team a contender.

• Sympathy 1

1 minute ago, Vader said:

Let’s play a game. What makes the team more competitive this year:

Jamal Adams or two future first rounders?

That's a silly way to look at it when evaluating a trade.  The Jets were non-competitive WITH Jamal Adams, so I take the two firsts every time. 

You don't evaluate a trade based on the immediate, instant gratification.  Not when draft picks are involved.

6 minutes ago, Vader said:

Khalil / Harrison / McGovern is a festering controversy that JD is responsible for. 

Khalil was a disaster, but he admitted the mistake and it resolved when Harrison went back in last year, but now Harrison has been released and McGovern is meh. 

The Robbie Anderson / Periman fiasco looks like it will be the sauce that gets all over JDs clothes with no club soda in sight. It’s not just about these two players either — the entire WR group is terrible. Please tell me Demaryius Thomas wouldn’t be an improvement. 

Jamal Adams is the best looking decision but it really devastated the teams chances this year and made it plain to every one on the team that this year is a throw away.

Becton and Mann look like bullseyes. But the rest of the draft looks like dookie Rn.

How did Perriman even get hurt today? An ankle? Again...gotta get dudes who want to compete. Thinnest group on the team and he goes MIA. Been this way his whole career. Never avalaible.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

That's a silly way to look at it when evaluating a trade.  The Jets were non-competitive WITH Jamal Adams, so I take the two firsts every time. 

You don't evaluate a trade based on the immediate, instant gratification.  Not when draft picks are involved.

Ok. You’re wrong. Thanks for playing ?

2 minutes ago, Vader said:

Ok. You’re wrong. Thanks for playing ?

This is one way to respond, I suppose.  By failing to understand an argument, calling someone "wrong", and then not responding.

You're trying to set up goalposts to an argument that don't exist.  No non-competitive team ever trades a player for picks and then says "BUT WE ARE BADDER NOW"

1 minute ago, Jetsfan80 said:

This is one way to respond, I suppose.  By failing to understand an argument, calling someone "wrong", and then not responding.

You're trying to set up goalposts to an argument that don't exist.  No one trades a player for picks and then says "WE ARE BADDER NOW OH NOES"

Was just being sarcastic. We don’t agree. No prob ??

Just now, jetstream23 said:

Thus far JD is standing by a HC, QB and roster that are possibly the worst this franchise has seen since the Kotite years.  Joe accepted this job knowing that he was anchored to one or both of Adam Gase and Sam Darnold for at least 2-3 years, implicitly vouching for them as he took a Jets paycheck saying he just needed to build the roster around them.  I'm all for giving JD some time but he kept his wallet in his pocket when reasonably priced players like Robby Anderson, who had familiarity with the system and QB, could have been signed. He didn't need to sign high-priced guys but he surely could have raised the quality level of the roster and improved the depth.

He saved a few bucks getting guys like Perriman (with his injury history) and swinging for the fences by drafting known injured players like Bryce Hall.  His promise to fix the offense resulted in picking just one WR in one of the deepest WR drafts in a decade.  Putting these players on a team with a known inability to manage player health and under a coach who is notorious for having injured players was risky and is now backfiring on him. Firing the head trainer, Mellody, in the offseason was a token move.  They elevated his assistant and kept Mellody on as a consultant.  It's the same training group, thus we're getting the same results.

Again, I like JD but he has a CFL team masquerading around in NFL uniforms right now (at least those players who aren't currently in hospital gowns).  We all knew the Jets weren't going to make splash signings or throw $20M and Jadeveon Clowney, but the depth issues are on him right now.  More than 70% of this roster is now made up of guys signed or drafted by Joe Douglas.

And what's Darnold's culpability in all of this? I don't think it's possible without being completely disingenuous to blame JD for this but think Darnold is a mishandled but potential FQB.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Jetsfan80 said:

Sure you were.  You don't have the quite the cognitive capacity to understand what I am saying and respond with a reasonable response. 

Or perhaps I just prefer not to engage in yet more Jamal Adams dialectics ??

He took a 6 year deal because this is a full teardown, rebuild. You just can't explicitly say that out loud, but it is what it is. Having a QB in Year 3 makes it more awkward. The honeymoon won't be over until his draft picks either hit or bust. So far the big one looks like a hit at least. Lets see if we can get Mims and Perine on the field/touches.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Prodigal Syndicate said:

The Jamal trade will be his defining moment that he is judged on. He better knock both picks out of the park. 

I think everyone agrees with that although that won't be his defining moment for long. It will be who he hires to replace Gase and which QB he picks or trades up for next April.

33 minutes ago, NYJ1 said:

I think it's already over. Remember, Joe Douglas went on national radio and television and said that he is NOT giving up on the season. That REQUIRES something better than getting destroyed in your first two games of the season. That's the only that can appear to be truthful. Joe Douglas WILL be the guy firing Adam Gase if need be. How Douglas WILL be selecting the Jets next HC.

Gase answers to the Johnsons...they are the buffoons who will eventually have to fire him 

I have yet to see anything special about JD yet.  Don't want him fired or anything but he's made a couple highly questionable decisions thus far.

That fancy o line i keep hearing about hasn't been enough to make the team competitive.  We're easily worst in the league right now.  

• Upvote 2

36 minutes ago, jeremy2020 said:

I think Douglas planned to be bad. I think he wanted to clean up the cap and position himself to draft a new QB. I think he's erred because if they are this bad all season, he will have no honeymoon even with a new QB/Coach which will make the Jets coaching job unattractive...because nobody wants to come into a buzzsaw where the GM is on thin ice.

I don’t think he necessarily wants a new QB — that’s such a crap shoot. But he definitely threw this season away. 

what we do know is the roster is worse under his watch
 and he he left sam with no weapons
 and a terrible coach

murray gets hopkins sam gets perriman

I dont expect rome to be build in a day but if he keeps gase on after this year(he wont be fired this season) he should be fired too

People complain about him not getting free agents like players are knocking the door down to play here.

Our biggest acquisition in the pst couple years was Leveon and that was only bc he had no market and we offered him the most money. Same with CJ.

So either we go the overpay Macagnan route or we make this a more desirable location by building through the draft.

40 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

Not blaming him, yet.  Just wondering when he can be blamed and for what.  

I guess so far I have yet to look at a move he made and think here was the available move he could have made that would have been better. Maybe moving on from Gase would have been a good idea but not sure he wanted to tear it down that rapidly. 

If I had to nitpick. Not loving Zuniga pick at there moment since being injured was not a new issue. Also think the Morgan pick was a slightly off unless he has higher hopes for the guy than the vast majority. Still not a mind numbing Mac level pick, just might not be the best allocation of a resource. 

20 minutes ago, kevinc855 said:

Haha you guys were piling on mac by season 2.

JD is like a cult with some of you and I don’t get why 

His first draft class just finished playing their second game. Why is this so hard to understand?