What do the Jets do with Sam next year if they draft a QB?

GreekJet

If the Jets do finish with a top 3 pick and draft a QB what does the organization do? 

Do they try to trade Sam?

I’m not sure he’s tradable at this point. With the cap going down there aren’t going to be many teams willing to take on a 10MM cap hit for a reclamation project. Perhaps the Jets can get a conditional pick, but it’s not going to be much unless Darnold turns it on these last 13 games. If that does happen the point is moot. 

Do the cut him outright?

Its hard to believe they are going to take a dead cap hit of 10MM. It’s all dead money if he’s released. 

Do they let him compete for the starting job under a new HC?

This is the most likely scenario. They’ve invested so much in him already it makes sense to take one more hard look at him with a new coaching staff. Sam also seems like a nice/mature enough kid not to ruffle any feathers in the QB room if he had to be the backup. 

Also to the Jets fans dancing on Sam Darnolds grave @Losmeister please stop. It’s absolutely devastating for myself and many other Jets fans that it came to this with this kid. His failure is an organizational failure and while moving on is likely the right move it’s also one that was completely unforeseen and will further delay the timeline to competitive Jets football. 

• Thumb Down 1
  • Sympathy 1

7 minutes ago, GreekJet said:

If the Jets do finish with a top 3 pick and draft a QB what does the organization do? 

I’m not sure he’s tradable at this point. With the cap going down there aren’t going to be many teams willing to take on a 10MM cap hit for a reclamation project. Perhaps the Jets can get a conditional pick, but it’s not going to be much unless Darnold turns it on these last 13 games. If that does happen the point is moot. 

Do the cut him outright?

Its hard to believe they are going to take a dead cap hit of 10MM. It’s all dead money if he’s released. 

This is the most likely scenario. They’ve invested so much in him already it makes sense to take one more hard look at him with a new coaching staff. Sam also seems like a nice/mature enough kid not to ruffle any feathers in the QB room if he had to be the backup. 

Also to the Jets fans dancing on Sam Darnolds grave @Losmeister please stop. It’s absolutely devastating for myself and many other Jets fans that it came to this with this kid. His failure is an organizational failure and while moving on is likely the right move it’s also one that was completely unforeseen and will further delay the timeline to competitive Jets football. 

I would have written this same thing Saturday but today....go play with fire. 

4 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

Some team will take him on as a reclamation project.  The Bucs, the Saints, and the Steelers would be my first guesses.  Draft a new guy and flip him for a 2nd or a 3rd to one of the teams willing to take up the task of fixing him.

This just smells like the way it will work out for the Jets. He’s traded to Tampa, spends a year behind Brady, takes over and lights it up under Arians in 2022....when he faces Cam Newton and the Pats in the SB.

• Sympathy 1

Just now, jetstream23 said:

This just smells like the way it will work out for the Jets. He’s traded to Tampa, spends a year behind Brady, takes over and lights it up under Arians in 2022....when he faces Cam Newton and the Pats in the SB.

I’m dead serious when I say this:

He would absolutely thrive under Arians.

9 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

Some team will take him on as a reclamation project.  The Bucs, the Saints, and the Steelers would be my first guesses.  Draft a new guy and flip him for a 2nd or a 3rd to one of the teams willing to take up the task of fixing him.

Would they really trade for him though? Jameis Winston was had for 1 year 2.5MM as a reclamation. You are going to take on the fourth year of Darnolds rookies contract and give up a pick?

• Thumb Down 1

48 minutes ago, GreekJet said:

Would they really trade for him though? Jameis Winston was had for 1 year 2.5MM as a reclamation. You are going to take on the fourth year of Darnolds rookies contract and give up a pick?

I think they do, especially if this is Brees’s last ride.  

I’d try the reclamation route first and take a QB in 2022 if it doesn’t work out for them.  Kinda like what Carolina is doing right now.  I mean, sh*t, look how it worked out for them last time.

1 hour ago, Mogglez said:

Possibly Chicago and Indy as well

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

There’s even a question? You trade him for whatever you can get in case there’s still a team - or even better, a couple teams - that think his woes are all because of the (admittedly sucky) situation he’s been in here, and that they can fix him. 

“The best prospect to come into the league since Andrew Luck” — hopefully someone still believes the hype. You trade him while there’s still a cheap year left on his rookie deal, and even offer to eat half or most of it if it means getting a high - or higher - pick in return. His contract is guaranteed so there’s no reason to cut him when someone will give up something if we eat enough of the money we’d have to eat anyway.

If they draft another QB early next year, then whatever resources they can get for Darnold should be put towards helping out the new QB. If you want competition for 2021 then pair the rookie with a has-been like Flacco not a never-was like Darnold. 

Fantasy ideas of this being a Brees/Rivers situation aside, there’s really nothing to think about here. It’s an easy decision.

I disagree with this. The Jets have invested so much in him already why not take one more look at him with a new HC? Isn’t the peace of mind that you turned over every stone with this kid more valuable than a mid round pick that the Jets will almost certainly flush down the toilet anyway?

I’d let him compete with the rookie and may the best man win. If he ends up being successful than the Jets have a nice problem to have for a change

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

I think we all know Darnold will probably go on to have a very decent career in the NFL when surrounded by compenent coaching and compenent skill players, and good luck to him. He's always appeared to have been a level-headed guy and I would wish him the best. He has been entirely let down by this franchise thus far.

At the end of the day, it just won't make sense to keep him and pick up the 5th year option because his numbers just haven't earned it.

Hopefully we support the next QB better.

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

2 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

Agree 100%

....or under Sean Payton...or....anywhere but here. 

But Lawrence will certainly come in and light it up here.

If we get the top pick, trade it and turn it into what the Colts did with the picks they got for Darnold. Build a roster rather than looking for the 1 QB that will somehow succeed despite the lack of talent everywhere else.

Otherwise it's wash / rinse / repeat, and in 3 years time we're lamenting how Lawrence "wasn't that guy".

• Upvote 1
  • WTF? 1

Depends what his value is at the time and depends what QB we end up with.

If we draft a genuinely raw project at QB and there's no market value for Darnold then maybe you keep him, have him compete and hope he can raise his stock on a better team. If we have a Lawrence/Fields top QB prospect - He's gone whether we get anything for him or not.

• Thumb Down 1

1 hour ago, British Jet said:

I think we all know Darnold will probably go on to have a very decent career in the NFL when surrounded by compenent coaching and compenent skill players, and good luck to him. He's always appeared to have been a level-headed guy and I would wish him the best. He has been entirely let down by this franchise thus far.

At the end of the day, it just won't make sense to keep him and pick up the 5th year option because his numbers just haven't earned it.

Hopefully we support the next QB better.

No, I’m sorry we don’t know that. We heard this fallacy about Sanchez and Geno, also. Look, I get it, we all want him to succeed. But what you are suggesting—a magic turnaround after three years of near-bottom league play—is extremely rare. In fact there aren’t even any comparators anymore. The players that people like to throw out there as “proof” Sam can turn it around (Brees, Gannon, Alex Smith) were never as below-the-line of competent and so obviously broken as this. If Sam turns it around after this, he will become literally a universe of one—THE poster boy and history’s biggest outlier for NFL QB turnarounds.  If you’re betting on Sam to turn it around make sure you get odds. Long ones. 

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, jgb said:

Is the OP serious? Hard to know when people are being sarcastic today. Darnold is gone if Jets secure a top pick in draft. You want to ruin the next guy too by having the previous failed QB skulking around? Draft new QB and move on.

He wouldn't be ruining anyone. Darnold is gone no matter how he plays. The only positives would be maybe increasing his trade value and keeping the rookie from being overwhelmed early.

Tua and Herbert were supposed to sit this season for a good reason. Just because a lot of rookie QB's are ready to play doesn't mean it's always the go to move, especially if we have a Trey Lance type prospect who wont even have a full season this year. Would be a terrible idea to throw them in right away, especially if the team looks anything like it does currently.

3 minutes ago, Irish Jet said:

He wouldn't be ruining anyone. Darnold is gone no matter how he plays. The only positives would be maybe increasing his trade value and keeping the rookie from being overwhelmed early.

Tua and Herbert were supposed to sit this season for a good reason. Just because a lot of rookie QB's are ready to play doesn't mean it's always the go to move, especially if we have a Trey Lance type prospect who wont even have a full season this year. Would be a terrible idea to throw them in right away, especially if the team looks anything like it does currently.

What’s the difference in Herbert and Tua’s situation? They’re sitting behind a vet that (1) they can learn something from and (2) is not a threat to their eventual ascension.

Keeping Darnold around is like asking your new girlfriend to move into your house that you still share with your ex girlfriend.

36 minutes ago, bealeb319 said:

If we drafted lawrence it would be better probably to let Sam start the first half of the season to see if he could rebuild some of the value he is losing this season

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using JetNation.com mobile app

You don't wait on the future to try to squeeze more value out of broken bird Sam Darnold. Plus, you're forgetting the >50% chance that he does the same or worse and lowers his value. His future is sealed as soon as Jets take a QB in the top 5 of the draft.

You guys are too smart by half sometimes.

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, GreekJet said:

Do the cut him outright?

Sam is on his rookie deal. He also isn't  getting a big raise due to his play. He wont  be hard to move. 

If the Steelers get their hands on Sam they’ll turn him into an all pro. If the jets draft a QB they should still keep darnold. Just like I said they should’ve kept bridgewater, and looking back they should’ve. Why can you only have one somewhat valuable QB on the roster at a time? Only in Jets land. 

• Sympathy 1

If the Steelers get their hands on Sam they’ll turn him into an all pro. If the jets draft a QB they should still keep darnold. Just like I said they should’ve kept bridgewater, and looking back they should’ve. Why can you only have one somewhat valuable QB on the roster at a time? Only in Jets land. 
Competition for fields or lawrence would be good

36 minutes ago, section314 said:

He was starting to thrive under Bowles for heavens sake. Giving up on Sam without giving him a real coach would be the absolute worst thing they could do.

Well, get ready because barring a miracle, that’s what we’re going to do.