Darnold out Sunday per Mehta

GreekJet

2 minutes ago, Spoot-Face said:

Sure, If we get a trade offer, then we take it (rather it not be to an AFC team, though) but your wording "throwing him to the trash" made it seem like you just wanted to out-right cut him.

No, but I'm taking what I can get for him.  Even if that's only a 5th round pick.  It's better than nothing, or hoping for a 2022 comp pick.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Jetsfan80 said:

No, but I'm taking what I can get for him.  Even if that's only a 5th round pick.  It's better than nothing, or hoping for a 2022 comp pick.

Okay, yeah, that's fine.

I'm curious, if the Patriots offer a 3rd or better, do you take the deal?

3 minutes ago, Spoot-Face said:

Okay, yeah, that's fine.

I'm curious, if the Patriots offer a 3rd or better, do you take the deal?

100 %.  I'm not scared to trade Darnold to any team, as long as its the best offer.  I maintain that Darnold's ceiling is Andy Dalton, and I'm not worried about any team with an Andy Dalton-caliber QB (at best).

I'd only use the NFC as a tiebreaker.  I.E., if both the Patriots and Packers were offering a 3rd, I'd of course take the deal with the Packers.

• Sympathy 2

2 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

100 %.  I'm not scared to trade Darnold to any team, as long as its the best offer.  I maintain that Darnold's ceiling is Andy Dalton, and I'm not worried about any team with an Andy Dalton-caliber QB (at best).

I'd only use the NFC as a tiebreaker.  I.E., if both the Patriots and Packers were offering a 3rd, I'd of course take the deal with the Packers.

Interesting.

I wouldn't trade him to a division rival for any amount, lol. Maybe another AFC team. Big maybe.

He has shown flashes of true brilliance, but just lacks consistency. I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility that with the right coach, in the right system, he could really excel. It just won't be here. I'd hate to see him do that with a rival team.

• Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, Spoot-Face said:

Interesting.

I wouldn't trade him to a division rival for any amount, lol. Maybe another AFC team. Big maybe.

He has shown flashes of true brilliance, but just lacks consistency. I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility that with the right coach, in the right system, he could really excel. It just won't be here. I'd hate to see him do that with a rival team.

If you're so afraid of Darnold succeeding elsewhere that you won't trade him to certain teams, then you clearly think enough of him to keep him and make him the 2021 starter.

I think he'll always be an underwhelming QB even in the best of circumstances, so I'm happy to move him to whichever team provides top value.  

You have to trust that Douglas knows what he's doing and can find a much better QB than Darnold.  If he can't, we're screwed regardless.  What Darnold does elsewhere, and WHERE he does it, should really be none of our concern.

41 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

considering your ceiling for Josh Allen was RB 3 weeks ago we'll take this with a grain of salt.

Evidently.  lol.

This is why QB evaluation is the hardest thing to do in all of pro sports.  But unlike Allen, Darnold is having an awful year 3, so I'm not sure why that's relevant.  I thought Darnold >>> Allen before this season, too.  Clearly I was wrong, and its the opposite. 

Having said that, Allen is doing something historic and not easily repeatable.  Nothing in his portfolio in college or his first 2 years in the pros could have predicted what he's done the first 4 games this season. 

Hoping for a similar turnaround out of Darnold would not be a wise basis on which to make a decision.  You have to make decisions on the information you have.  Barring a massive turnaround in these final 12 games out of Darnold (less than 12, due to injury), it's time to move on.

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Evidently.  lol.

This is why QB evaluation is the hardest thing to do in all of pro sports.  But unlike Allen, Darnold is having an awful year 3, so I'm not sure why that's relevant.  I thought Darnold >>> Allen before this season, too.  Clearly I was wrong, and its the opposite. 

Having said that, Allen is doing something historic and not easily repeatable.  Nothing in his portfolio in college or his first 2 years in the pros could have predicted what he's done the first 4 games this season. 

Hoping for a similar turnaround out of Darnold would not be a wise basis on which to make a decision.  You have to make decisions on the information you have.  Barring a massive turnaround in these final 12 games out of Darnold (less than 12, due to injury), it's time to move on.

Or, maybe Josh Allen of 2020 is like Scott Mitchell of 1995 (4,388 yds/32TDs) or Derek Anderson of 2007 (3700/29) and post a singularly great season surrounded by mediocrity? 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Sonny Werblin said:

Or, maybe Josh Allen of 2020 is like Scott Mitchell of 1995 (4,388 yds/32TDs) or Derek Anderson of 2007 (3700/29) and post a singularly great season surrounded by mediocrity? 

It's possible.  But given the direction the NFL has been going (dual threat QB's) and how much better Allen just looks on the field, I can't imagine him settling in to be anything but a top 15 QB going forward.  

If Flacco makes this offense look competent I will be both relieved and scared sh*tless that he will ruin the tank, while confirming that we need a new QB. Hopefully he just sucks like the rest of the team and we are all hopeless and miserable

• Post of the Week 1

Just now, Icer said:

If Flacco makes this offense look competent I will be both relieved and scared sh*tless that he will ruin the tank, while confirming that we need a new QB. Hopefully he just sucks like the rest of the team and we are all hopeless and miserable

We just gave up 37 points to a 3rd string QB.  I'm not too concerned.

• Haha 1

Just now, Icer said:

Whether he does or not, this defense will not stop that offense. Who the hell is covering Hopkins??? Hell, who’s covering Isabella? Hewitt gonna chase down Murray?

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

If you're so afraid of Darnold succeeding elsewhere that you won't trade him to certain teams, then you clearly think enough of him to keep him and make him the 2021 starter.

I think he'll always be an underwhelming QB even in the best of circumstances, so I'm happy to move him to whichever team provides top value.  

You have to trust that Douglas knows what he's doing and can find a much better QB than Darnold.  If he can't, we're screwed regardless.  What Darnold does elsewhere, and WHERE he does it, should really be none of our concern.

Wouldn't be the first time a change of scenery and new coaching staff resurrects a failed QB's career. And we've seen that after said "failed" QB left our current head coach. Despite that possibility, though, I still believe we can't pass on the opportunity of drafting Lawrence. But, if there wasn't any QB touted so highly as Lawrence in this up-coming draft, or we didn't have a shot at drafting him, then I wouldn't even be talking about moving on from Darnold after this season.

I guess I'm just not as sold as you that Darnold is going to be a forever bust, wherever he goes, like Sanchez or Geno.

And, if Darnold goes on to have success with another team, it'll only highlight what failure this franchise is, and Sam doing that with, say, the Patriots or Steelers, would only serve to pour salt in the wound. If you're saying that truly wouldn't bother you, well then I guess I envy you. The only thing that would nullify that is if Trevor Lawrence become our Mahomes. But, seriously, what are the chances of that? We're the goddamn Jets.

5 hours ago, playtowinthegame said:

You don't want to see how our skill players looks with a vet quarterback who doesn't miss the open man while making his reads? It's a good way to evaluate the skill players and even Adam Gase's play calling. Only reason Darnold gets the starts playing like he has is due to the investment the Jets made in him. Darnold needs to sit, breathe, and see how it's done by a grizzled vet like Flacco.

Not sure if you are aware of this but Flacco has been awful for a few years now. 

3 minutes ago, Spoot-Face said:

Wouldn't be the first time a change of scenery and new coaching staff resurrects a failed QB's career. And we've seen that after said "failed" QB left our current head coach. Despite that possibility, though, I still believe we can't pass on the opportunity of drafting Lawrence. But, if there wasn't any QB touted so highly as Lawrence in this up-coming draft, or we didn't have a shot at drafting him, then I wouldn't even be talking about moving on from Darnold after this season.

I guess I'm just not as sold as you that Darnold is going to be a forever bust, wherever he goes, like Sanchez or Geno.

And, if Darnold goes on to have success with another team, it'll only highlight what failure this franchise is, and Sam doing that with, say, the Patriots or Steelers, would only serve to pour salt in the wound. If you're saying that truly wouldn't bother you, well then I guess I envy you. The only thing that would nullify that is if Trevor Lawrence become our Mahomes. But, seriously, what are the chances of that? We're the goddamn Jets.

Darnold is gone regardless.  Whether that's before or after the 2021 season, he's gone.  So if he's going to resurrect his career with someone else, it's going to happen whether we delay it a year or not. 

It's just a matter of whether we get something back for him.  In your mind, you're terrified of him going to the Pats and succeeding.  Well that's a good reason to trade him.  Chances are we'll be able to find a not-Pats trade partner.  Allowing him to hit free agency means we can't dictate where he goes for his next stop.

1 minute ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Darnold is gone regardless.  Whether that's before or after the 2021 season, he's gone.  So if he's going to resurrect his career with someone else, it's going to happen whether we delay it a year or not. 

Yes, agreed. Unless we win enough to fall out of the Lawrence/Fields sweepstakes, in which case I expect to see Darnold for another year.

3 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

It's just a matter of whether we get something back for him.  In your mind, you're terrified of him going to the Pats and succeeding.  Well that's a good reason to trade him.  Chances are we'll be able to find a not-Pats trade partner.  Allowing him to hit free agency means we can't dictate where he goes for his next stop.

Agreed. I would like to be able to trade him.

Just not to an AFC team like the Pats.

Just now, Jetsfan80 said:

It's possible.  But given the direction the NFL has been going (dual threat QB's) and how much better Allen just looks on the field, I can't imagine him settling in to be anything but a top 15 QB going forward.  

Allen and Mitchell looked great in their seasons too. Water will find it's level and unless someone explains to me how Allen found a long term fix for his accuracy issues, I will just chock it up to him overperforming his base level talent. Just like Vinny T managed to do during a handful of his 21 seasons. 

2 hours ago, y2k8 said:

The kid sprained his throwing shoulder, went into the locker room, got shot up and played the rest of the game.  

No balls?  

If you say so ...

Playing injured is one small characteristic of "balls."  CuMar playing on 2 sprained ankles was toughness, one the size of a softball.

When has Darnold ever stunk in the first half and played great in the 2nd half?  Or does he just slump around waiting for the game to end...?

When has he done anything at all to lift the team on a "flat" day?  Does Darnold seem to inspire something other than the "going through the motions" look that he usually displays...?

The meaning of "balls" in this context is refusing to accept defeat.  A player who despises losing.    We have seen nothing from him to show that he hates to lose.  He may not like it, but he seems OK with it.  That in unacceptable from a QB as the team around him adopts the same attitude.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, choon328 said:

No, I'm suggesting not every sack is on the offensive line. The Jets offensive line has actually played well this year in pass protection. Darnold leaves the pocket too soon a lot bc he has nervous feet. 

Adam Gase runs a quick throw offense that relies heavily on the QB recognizing coverage pre snap and quickly going through reads post snap. He is running the offense Manning ran in Denver. That is also the reason why he never runs motion bc Manning hated it.  Manning wanted to line up and see how the defense lined up so he could make pre snap reads and figure out who he was throwing to.  Darnold can not process pre snap like Manning could and that's why he's struggling. Flacco is not Manning, not even close, but he def is better at processing pre and post snap than Darnold is at this point. That's what experience will do for you. 

I think the offense in itself will protect Flacco from getting hit or sacked.  The perfect example is last week when Darnold got hurt. He had Cager running wide open immediately after the snap and he either didn't recognize it pre snap or didn't see him post snap or both and then held the ball too long and got sacked. A QB with better pre snap read ability would have turned that play from a sack to a 30+ yard gain. Those little things make a huge difference. There's a reason that at 37 Ryan Fitzpatrick looks better than Darnold this season and it's not bc of physical ability. 

I don't know how Flacco will play but it's not going to take much to play better than Darnold has and I wouldn't be shocked if he plays really well. 

You had me till you said the OL has been better... I disagree, six sacks, 10 QB Hits, 2." run per in the Dev game... 

update-O-lines-2020-rank.jpg

30. NEW YORK JETSnyj-ol.jpg

30. NEW YORK JETSnyj-ol.jpg

Although he’s played in 100 percent of the Jets’ snaps the past two games, McGovern ranks 34th out of 35 centers with a 44.2 Pro Football Focus grade. He’s been especially poor in pass protection with a 26.3 grade and allowed 13 pressures in 151 protection snaps with an 8.6 percent pressure rate – second-worst in the league.

There is more but figured I end it here because this is the guy they though would be the stabilizing influence and isn't.