Can i get my one trick pony back?

kevinc855

No.  He wanted to go play with his college coach.  It’s obvious they feature him more then they would here, the dude is getting double digit targets a game. In Carolina he doesn’t have to be the 1, here the offense would “rely” on him, though I’m sure Gase would mess that up.

• Upvote 3

10 minutes ago, TeddEY said:

He took less money to play in Carolina.  He didn’t want to play here anymore.  Probably because our QB couldn’t make use of his ability.

I believe the Jets offered him 2/20, Carolina went 2/24.  If he really wanted to stay (michael irvin said RA called him crying that he wanted to stay in NY) then he would have taken the Jets offer.

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, BurnleyJet said:

Best couture in Football?

Accepts historical incompetence? Check.

Increasing chaos in the locker room? Check.

A fan base at war with itself? Check.

Worst owner since the chick from “Major League”? Double check.

JD should just reverse tact and change his goal to building the best reality TV show in sport. Just bring back Rex and mission accomplished.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, jgb said:

Accepts historical incompetence? Check.

Increasing chaos in the locker room? Check.

A fan base at war with itself? Check.

Worst owner since the chick from “Major League”? Double check.

JD should just reverse tact and change his goal to building the best reality TV show in sport. Just bring back Rex and mission accomplished.

Rex won’t come, it’s to dysfunctional.

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, TeddEY said:

He took less money to play in Carolina.  He didn’t want to play here anymore.  Probably because our QB couldn’t make use of his ability.

That is false.

Several sources said Robbie wanted to say but the Jets offer to him was disrespectful

3 hours ago, fullblast said:

This is such BS. A 4 year offer worth 10 a year was offered. If he wanted to stay he could have signed it. Let's call a spade a spade. Players don't want to stay when offered a lateral option. The other team tilts the scale. My God CJ, what have you done. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

2 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

This is such BS. A 4 year offer worth 10 a year was offered. If he wanted to stay he could have signed it. Let's call a spade a spade. Players don't want to stay when offered a lateral option. The other team tilts the scale. My God CJ, what have you done. 

A deal averaging $10 million/year was a low ball offer. We cheaped out, while also misjudging the guys we brought in. There’s no excusing this horrible miscalculation. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

6 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

Link? 

Everything I have read states or implies the opposite. 

https://www.radio.com/wfan/articles/esiason-jets-offered-robby-anderson-4-year-40m-contract

Boomer: Jets Had 4-Year, $40M Offer On Table For Robby Anderson

The Jets made a four-year, $40 million offer to Robby Anderson before the wide receiver agreed to sign with the Carolina Panthers on Tuesday, WFAN's Boomer Esiason revealed on the "Boomer and Gio" show.

Sources Esiason spoke with told him about the offer Gang Green had on the table. Anderson instead will sign a two-year, $20 million contract with Carolina, where he'll be reunited with his college head coach, Matt Rhule.

Esiason said he thought the Jets' offer "would've been more than fair for both sides."

"Robby wanted to take less years and wanted to bet on himself and obviously wanted to go play for a coach that he knows, 'cause the coach obviously down in Carolina was his coach at Temple, and he feels comfortable with that offense that they're building around Joe Brady, their offensive coordinator down there," Esiason said at the start of Wednesday's show. "So Robby decided to leave and essentially bet on himself 'cause he wants to be back at the free agent table in two years, and I don't blame him

The Jets made a four-year, $40 million offer to Robby Anderson before the wide receiver agreed to sign with the Carolina Panthers on Tuesday, WFAN's Boomer Esiason revealed on the "Boomer and Gio" show.

Sources Esiason spoke with told him about the offer Gang Green had on the table. Anderson instead will sign a two-year, $20 million contract with Carolina, where he'll be reunited with his college head coach, Matt Rhule.

Esiason said he thought the Jets' offer "would've been more than fair for both sides."

"Robby wanted to take less years and wanted to bet on himself and obviously wanted to go play for a coach that he knows, 'cause the coach obviously down in Carolina was his coach at Temple, and he feels comfortable with that offense that they're building around Joe Brady, their offensive coordinator down there," Esiason said at the start of Wednesday's show. "So Robby decided to leave and essentially bet on himself 'cause he wants to be back at the free agent table in two years, and I don't blame him.

"I don't know if the Jets would've offered him the two-year deal. That I don't know. But I do know that, according to my sources, that there was a four-year, $40 million deal on the table for Robby Anderson."

Shortly after losing Anderson in free agency, the Jets found his replacement, agreeing to terms with former Buccaneers speedster Breshad Perriman on a one-year contract that will pay him anywhere from $6 million to $8 million.

"For anybody who played fantasy football last year ... this is one of those guys that at the end of the year jumped on everybody's radar," said Esiason's co-host, Gregg Giannotti. "Why? Because (Mike) Evans and (Chris) Godwin were out, and he was getting all the opportunities. In three straight weeks, he had hundred-yard receiving games against the Lions, the Texans and the Falcons. And the guy was insane."

Robby Anderson of the New York Jets in action against Ryan Lewis of the Miami Dolphins during their game at MetLife Stadium on Dec. 8, 2019.Al Bello/Getty Images

Both Boomer and Gio wondered if losing Anderson could prove to be a setback for quarterback Sam Darnold's development. 

"Robby Anderson, he's had good things in his past as a Jet, bad things in his past as a Jet," Giannotti said. "But it seemed like him and Sam were on the same page. And that's the part of this that I don't like, that here's Sam Darnold going into his third year -- and you're talking about two bumpy years to start out -- and it feels like he's starting over again. And I just don't think that's the greatest thing for a young quarterback like him."

Added Esiason: "Probably the loser, I guess -- if you wanted to say that he was a loser in all of this -- would probably be Sam Darnold because of the relationship that he had with Robby Anderson. And then the other question is now, when are OTAs going to start? Are they going to start? Are these guys going to get a chance to work out together? Are they going to get to know each other?" 

Boomer said he expects the Jets to add one or two more receivers in the draft.

I didn't make this up.

• Upvote 4

42 minutes ago, TeddEY said:

4 years 40 mil is less than 2 years 20 mil. You also need to consider that the cap will go up, so each year decrease the value of the deal. 4 years is way too much control for a contract so cheap. There could have been other contract details we don't know about.

It also looks like Robbie was right to not play on such a cheap deal for 4 years. At this rate, he will be making 16-20mil minimum after next off-season.

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, TeddEY said:

MIchael Irvin said he spoke to Robby after he signed with Carolina and he was getting emotional saying he wanted to stay with the Jets.

After not being traded at the deadline, Robby tweeted out a gif of a celebration saying he wasn't going anywhere.

We can try to ease the pain by telling ourselves he wanted to leave, but that simply was not the case.  Gase wanted him gone, so Joe D made him a low ball offer.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

43 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

It's what he took from the Panthers. 

It’s really not though. He’d have been locked up through his prime years for $10 million per. With his current contract he’ll hit free agency again in two years, when he’ll presumably still have his top end speed. I don’t think any of us would’ve accepted the Jets 4 year offer. 

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, hamat711 said:

4 years 40 mil is less than 2 years 20 mil. You also need to consider that the cap will go up, so each year decrease the value of the deal. 4 years is way too much control for a contract so cheap. There could have been other contract details we don't know about.

It also looks like Robbie was right to not play on such a cheap deal for 4 years. At this rate, he will be making 16-20mil minimum after next off-season.

No it isn't.  Guys literally hold out on the franchise tag because they want "more security."  4/40 is, in fact, more security.  Is it a much better deal?  No.  Certainly not.  But he did chose the 2 year option - at least per this.

I'm not defending letting him go.  I liked Robby.  Probably more than most.  But, Robby is having his best year, not unsurprisingly, away from Sam Darnold, who is a bad QB and worse deep ball QB.

55 minutes ago, TeddEY said:

So, it looks like Robbie "bet on himself". He felt his money was soft in FA, and rather than taking the longer term deal with the same average (not sure the guarantees in either), he felt he could perform and get his last big contract then.

What is not clear is did he come back to the Jets with that same offer Carolina had, and the Jets said "no".  I would find that hard to believe.

• Upvote 1