On The Brink of NFL Abyss

Some of you are thinking, “we’ve hit rock bottom.” No...it can get way worse. The last time we were this bad, we lucked out by getting Parcells.

We are at the bring of being a horrible team to turning into the Browns / Bengals between the late 90’s-2019, hopeless and completely irrelevant.

Sam is a inch away from full blown bust, and we might fluke our way OUT of the 1st pick.

I’ll tell you what, this offseason is the biggest of our franchise, maybe ever. If we can’t land a good coach + have Sam turn it around or is lucky enough to draft Trevor that might be it for this team for a long time.

We would then be looking for another complete rebuild in another 4 years and the cycle will be ongoing since the end of 2011. 

It’s been a decade. If this offseason isn’t the one that brings the true culture change then we’re staring at 20 years of nothing.

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, joewilly12 said:

Where you been. 

51 years and counting..............

Oh I’ve been right here brother.

But the sh*tty 70’s brought as at least good early 80s teams.

The terrible 90’s brought us Parcells and the post trickle down effect of a stable franchise for a decade.

We are at that point again. Bad and rebound or bad and become completely lost for another decade.

We can hire a Parcells yet, which in this case would be Harbaugh, or maybe Payton if he frees up.

We are already on the hook with JD.  He reports to the owners.  Changing that is like firing him.  

I think the plan is for the Johnsons to try and work with JD to turn it around, and if that does not work then they have to surrender control.

So there is a bit of time left. 

Presser.. Chris Johnson gets on his stool "Adam Gase was relieved of his duties. We are in the search for the right person to lead our team into the future.. a leader.. a motivator.. a true captain. Until then, we have decided to bring someone from the outside in to be the interim head coach instead of going with someone from our current, soon to be, obsolete coaching staff. Let me all welcome, your interim head coach.."

**Glass breaking... Stone Cold Steve Austin's music plays**

Out saunters.. fatter than usual.. Rextopher Ryan...

I'd hesitantly nod my head.. and clap..

wow not bad GIF

15 minutes ago, pointman said:

Presser.. Chris Johnson gets on his stool "Adam Gase was relieved of his duties. We are in the search for the right person to lead our team into the future.. a leader.. a motivator.. a true captain. Until then, we have decided to bring someone from the outside in to be the interim head coach instead of going with someone from our current, soon to be, obsolete coaching staff. Let me all welcome, your interim head coach.."

wow not bad GIF

Pointman not on point

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Dunnie said:

Brink ? Brink ?

Dude we are Gollum's clutching hand in the abyss of Mordor.. we are sunken into the Dark Place from Get Out.

Don't tell me about brink.

4ipxs9.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using JetNation.com mobile app

Trust me it can get worse. The majority of this fan base still has hope.

“Sam just needs a good coach and he’ll be a stud!”

”We might get Trevor and a new coach that’s good!”

”A lot of picks and cap space wooo!”

But if Sam doesn’t get better regardless of the coach / if we don’t get Trevor / if our next coach is another sh*thead / if no free agents want to come here / if Joe D’s draft picks suck....

...hope will be gone, and we are at that critical point of going from a horrible team that still has a chance to turn it around, to a team that the collective majority agree will never turn it around and just give up on an irrelevant franchise. Trust me, it can get worse. This offseason is everything. 

• Upvote 1

Trust me it can get worse. The majority of this fan base still has hope.
“Sam just needs a good coach and he’ll be a stud!”
”We might get Trevor and a new coach that’s good!”
”A lot of picks and cap space wooo!”
But if Sam doesn’t get better regardless of the coach / if we don’t get Trevor / if our next coach is another sh*thead / if no free agents want to come here / if Joe D’s draft picks suck....
...hope will be gone, and we are at that critical point of going from a horrible team that still has a chance to turn it around, to a team that the collective majority agree will never turn it around and just give up on an irrelevant franchise. Trust me, it can get worse. This offseason is everything. 

I'm buying tickets right now to this forum for the day that Trevor Lawrence goes to the New York Giants.

Get the first pick and the turn around begins.

It really is that simple.  

If you have Trevor Lawrence the best coaches will be lining up for the job.  You'll have your pick of litter.

Top free agent WR's/TE/RB's will be willing to come here.  Especially with all the cap money we'll have.

We'll have another first round pick, in addition to Trevor. You'll likely get a 2nd for Sam, so you'll have 4 picks in the top 60 (probably top 50) this offseason. 

You'll have two first rounders in 2022.  

and a franchise LT already in place.

With all of that said - It has to be Lawrence though - if a team was ever going to just suck it up and go full on tank-job this is the time to do it. 

Hold your nose through the next three months - get the #1 overall pick and watch this team finally build a team we can all be proud of.

3 minutes ago, Dunnie said:

I'm buying tickets right now to this forum for the day that Trevor Lawrence goes to the New York Giants.

That would be devastating.  And it would almost certainly be because the Jets found a way to win a meaningless game late in the season. 

And for that reason we'll be watching Lawrence turn the Giants into a perennial superbowl contender.

• Sympathy 1

12 hours ago, Adoni Beast said:

Some of you are thinking, “we’ve hit rock bottom.” No...it can get way worse. The last time we were this bad, we lucked out by getting Parcells.

We are at the bring of being a horrible team to turning into the Browns / Bengals between the late 90’s-2019, hopeless and completely irrelevant.

Sam is a inch away from full blown bust, and we might fluke our way OUT of the 1st pick.

I’ll tell you what, this offseason is the biggest of our franchise, maybe ever. If we can’t land a good coach + have Sam turn it around or is lucky enough to draft Trevor that might be it for this team for a long time.

We would then be looking for another complete rebuild in another 4 years and the cycle will be ongoing since the end of 2011. 

It’s been a decade. If this offseason isn’t the one that brings the true culture change then we’re staring at 20 years of nothing.

1. We are irrelevant.  

2. Sam is a bust.

3. We already fell over the abyss.  

We are not a Franchise decline.  We are a Franchise who already declined and is at the bottom.  We now border on farce.  If there was relegation, we'd have been relegated, probably to the American Athletic Conference/Old Big East.  Maybe to the New York Rec. League.

This offseason is no different than any other.  Every offseason, like every election, gets hyped as "the biggest of our lives!".  They're not.  They're just another offseason.  If we suck again in 2021, nothing happens, we just suck.  if we improve, great, but again, nothing actually happens.

Yes, as of now, we ARE staring at permanent irrelevancy.....till we aren't.  

12 hours ago, Adoni Beast said:

This is a massive overreaction.

The rebuild began two years ago and we have made strong strides forward.  We have a franchise quarterback, we have a young qualified GM, and we have an established NFL head coach.  The culture has changed, players aren't smoking weed, getting arrested, backstabbing via the press.  None of it.  The dysfunction is gone.

What we need are PLAYERS.  We suck right now because of a decade of Idzkik and Maccagnan roster mismanagement and we are taking necessary and painful steps to correct that.  We are shedding assets that aren't going to be here contributing in 2-3 years when we are ready to begin competing for a playoff berth and getting cap relief and/or draft capital in exchange.  That's smart.  We have a head coach that is sizing up his keepers and those he is going to cut and getting rid of them.  Our owner is letting Gase and Douglas fix things without meddling.  

Our record sucks, the losing sucks, but the actions being taken by our front office are spot on.  

SAR I

• Thumb Down 1

On the brink? The Jets have teetered, flailed their arms wildly trying to maintain their balance on the edge, pinwheeled, and hurtled through space head first off a bridge into ice-cold steely unforgiving brackish water so many times I've lost count. It's like that fckn movie 'Carnival of Souls' minus the car. 

Speaking of bridges, I kind of felt sorry for that kid in that overrated godawful shyte movie 'Saturday Night Fever', but then I realized I was wearing a Jets t-shirt and I rethought my position. I also realized that I was flicking the channels in the middle of the night while wearing a Jets t-shirt and watching that overrated godawful shyte movie 'Saturday Night Fever' but I didn't have a bridge to jump from in my living room so I lived to see another day against my better judgement. 

What was this about again?

28 minutes ago, Warfish said:

1. We are irrelevant.  

2. Sam is a bust.

3. We already fell over the abyss.  

We are not a Franchise decline.  We are a Franchise who already declined and is at the bottom.  We now border on farce.  If there was relegation, we'd have been relegated, probably to the American Athletic Conference/Old Big East.  Maybe to the New York Rec. League.

This offseason is no different than any other.  Every offseason, like every election, gets hyped as "the biggest of our lives!".  They're not.  They're just another offseason.  If we suck again in 2021, nothing happens, we just suck.  if we improve, great, but again, nothing actually happens.

Yes, as of now, we ARE staring at permanent irrelevancy.....till we aren't.  

Hard truth punches to the gut. I can’t argue with it as my whole point of this thread is this.

But, I do think that this offseason if all goes well / breaks right (when does that ever happen) can turn it around with hope.

6 minutes ago, SAR I said:

This is a massive overreaction.

The rebuild began two years ago and we have made strong strides forward.  We have a franchise quarterback, we have a young qualified GM, and we have an established NFL head coach.  The culture has changed, players aren't smoking weed, getting arrested, backstabbing via the press.  None of it.  The dysfunction is gone.

What we need are PLAYERS.  We suck right now because of a decade of Idzkik and Maccagnan roster mismanagement and we are taking necessary and painful steps to correct that.  We are shedding assets that aren't going to be here contributing in 2-3 years when we are ready to begin competing for a playoff berth and getting cap relief and/or draft capital in exchange.  That's smart.  We have a head coach that is sizing up his keepers and those he is going to cut and getting rid of them.  Our owner is letting Gase and Douglas fix things without meddling.  

Our record sucks, the losing sucks, but the actions being taken by our front office are spot on.  

SAR I

Our head coach is universally being panned as and proving to be the biggest charlatan in the league since Hue Jackson.

I agree that I have a lot of faith and hope in our young GM.

Our FQB who I really do think can be great is quickly getting David Carr’d / Ryan Tannehill’d. So that can go in either direction.

For this to truly turn around we need the right coach to change the culture and turn Sam’s trajectory around. No easy feat, and no run of the mill candidate will do for the role. You can’t dial up 1-800-COACHES and pick one.

Where we truly disagree sir, is that the culture has changed, and while I’m glad none of our players were caught in a DUI, or threading to “nut” in a cop’s eye...the acceptance of losing culture has not changed in the slightest. We have a squad that is used to it. They accept it as an option -less ritual. Mom’s making sh*tty oatmeal for breakfast again. There’s nothing else to eat. It is what it is. We are Jets. We lose. Gase has not only NOT changed that, he has perpetuated it to the depths of oblivion. He came here for one reason and one reason only. One last big payday from whomever he could swindle it from. Good for him, mission accomplished.

This offseason is absolutely massive, because if it is not a success we will be just as bad for another decade.

52 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

That would be devastating.  And it would almost certainly be because the Jets found a way to win a meaningless game late in the season. 

And for that reason we'll be watching Lawrence turn the Giants into a perennial superbowl contender.

If this is true you cant let Darnold play because he can in fact win you some games!

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Adoni Beast said:

Our head coach is universally being panned as and proving to be the biggest charlatan in the league since Hue Jackson.

By.  The.  Media.  Making the Jets head coach look like an idiot and undermining his authority is a cottage industry in this town for 40 years.  Don't fall for it.  No HC could succeed with this roster, especially as injured as it is.  We're not about W's and L's right now.  We are about keeping a rough group of limited-talent guys on the same page and trying hard to get better.

3 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

I agree that I have a lot of faith and hope in our young GM.

It's a big accomplishment.  If we have our Ozzie or our Howie we're set for 30 years.  

4 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

Our FQB who I really do think can be great is quickly getting David Carr’d / Ryan Tannehill’d. So that can go in either direction.

I think Sam is the perfect QB for what the Jets are going through.  He's not a primadonna like Baker.  He's got skills, we've seen that.  But his best trait right now?  The guy is unflappable.  He doesn't show emotion.  Nothing fazes him.  Sure, I'd like to see him angry like Brady or Favre when its called for, but right now his calm demeanor is welcomed.  I don't think he's being ruined mentally.  I think he's smart enough to know the team has no WR's.  Like none.  Like zero.

6 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

For this to truly turn around we need the right coach to change the culture and turn Sam’s trajectory around.

Separate Adam Gase The Head Coach from Adam Gase The Offensive Genius and you like what you see.  Gase is a vicious head coach, he's got a plan, he's chopping the FO and the roster to pieces-  and it's long overdue.  He'll hire a top notch OC and that will solve that.  I think we've found a great head coach to execute this painful rebuild.  The team is losing but isn't imploding.

9 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

This offseason is absolutely massive, because if it is not a success we will be just as bad for another decade.

Agreed.  But only on the player front, not anything else.  We need a complete reload of offensive playmakers.  Just like we threw out the old OL and bought a new one, we need the same thing at WR.  Crowder stays, Mims too, but the rest is oblivion.  We have had GM's who only focused on the D for a decade, doesn't get fixed here in Year 1 of the Douglas/Gase regime.

SAR I

Just now, Charlie Brown said:

If this is true you cant let Darnold play because he can in fact win you some games!

If this plays out like 2018 and 2019, Sam is going to come back from injury on fire and lead us to 5+ wins.

And that's a good thing.  We want Sam to succeed.  We want to trade the #1 pick for a haul of WR's and CB's.  We want next year to be a return to a winning record.  These things can happen if we don't, yawn, fire the head coach and trade the franchise quarterback and set the clock back to 2017.

SAR I

200.gif&key=268f22e569c5b676ac2be1a5d7be5fce7d577283c7b0367bc32a654468cdb8cc
I think we should take our cue from The Washington Football Team - get rid of the head coach, and don't replace him this year. Just refer to the unfilled position as "Head Coach of the New York Jets". Empty podium after each loss. Phone rings to a bottomless voice mailbox. Text messages and email on auto-reply: "You've reached the Head Coach of the New York Jets. The position is currently unfilled. Thank you for your continued support."
  • Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1