Who are some of the FAs JD might be looking at?

We have all this cap but we know JD wants to build through the draft, still, are there OL and passrushers out there worth bringing in? Maybe second tier guys with untapped upside?

I know the FA WR class is good with JuJu, Godwin, Holliday and Robinson. At OG we have Scherff and Thuney, are they worth throwing money at and signing long term?

Bud Dupree is intriguing, and so is Ngakoue. Does Von Miller have any gas left in the tank?

Last but not least SF signed Trent Williams only. To a one year deal, so far he has dominated and still looks like the best LT in football. He's still has 5 years left minimum in my opinion, franchise LT like Williams play a long time. Can you imagine Trent on the left side with Becton on the right and a guy like Thuney inside? 

I'd like to hear KRLs take on this better than average FA class.

• Upvote 2

41 minutes ago, Slikmojet! said:

We have all this cap but we know JD wants to build through the draft, still, are there OL and passrushers out there worth bringing in? Maybe second tier guys with untapped upside?

I know the FA WR class is good with JuJu, Godwin, Holliday and Robinson. At OG we have Scherff and Thuney, are they worth throwing money at and signing long term?

Bud Dupree is intriguing, and so is Ngakoue. Does Von Miller have any gas left in the tank?

Last but not least SF signed Trent Williams only. To a one year deal, so far he has dominated and still looks like the best LT in football. He's still has 5 years left minimum in my opinion, franchise LT like Williams play a long time. Can you imagine Trent on the left side with Becton on the right and a guy like Thuney inside? 

I've flirted with the idea of moving Benton over to RT in order to land Trent Williams as an LT but I've completely changed my mind. Mekhi Becton was drafted to become a Franchise LT and that's exactly what he is and it'll become a tragedy to see him moved over to RT while stunting his growth as a blindside protector; Trent Williams is older in age and therefore I'd love to see him @ RT. 

WR: Allen Robinson. 

LG: Joe Thuney. 

RT: Trent Williams. 

Those are the 3 key big name FA players I'd love to see JD splash on surrounding Trevor Lawrence ($ invested into the offense, for once). 

QB: Trevor Lawrence. 

LT: Mekhi Becton. 

WR1: Allen Robinson. 

Slot: Jamison Crowder. 

WR2: Denzel Mims. 

WR4: Rondale Moore (Seattle pick, developing behind Crowder as an electric playmaker). 

RB: Najee Harris (1st pick of 2nd round). 

Perfect blend of youth (Lawrence/Becton/Mims/Moore/Najee) and veteran leadership (Robinson/Crowder/Trent/Thuney) resulting in 9 Primetime Offensive Game breakers. 

And suddenly (over night) we've not only got Trevor Lawrence but have surrounded him with an A+ offensive line, a top 5 NFL WR unit and a game breaking RB; yes splashing on 3 offensive Free Agents is a must with TL on a Rookie Contract (the time to strike is now). 

2022 with two first round picks is where we can finally attack OLB/CB. 

• Upvote 1

Whats up DWC? Still got that Zach Thomas Jersey your granma gave you? ?

Would Trent Williams the Silver back agree to play RT though? It might prolong his career in the end. Or will the rooknbe humble and move to the right? 

If Trent says I want to come to NY but I want to play on the left... Sorry rook! You need to move. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

This is going to be one of the better FA classes in history. Teams are cash strapped and the cap is not going to go up. Expect a lot of cuts and vets on the trade block that normally wouldn’t be. 

A guy I would love to go after is Zach Ertz. I think he’s got plenty left in the tank and would be a nice safety blanket for a young QB. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, GreekJet said:

This is going to be one of the better FA classes in history. Teams are cash strapped and the cap is not going to go up. Expect a lot of cuts and vets on the trade block that normally wouldn’t be. 

A guy I would love to go after is Zach Ertz. I think he’s got plenty left in the tank and would be a nice safety blanket for a young QB. 

We need a TE.  Ertz is an option.  Another is Kyle Pitts with the Seattle pick

Or we could get both

3 hours ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

I've flirted with the idea of moving Benton over to RT in order to land Trent Williams as an LT but I've completely changed my mind. Mekhi Becton was drafted to become a Franchise LT and that's exactly what he is and it'll become a tragedy to see him moved over to RT while stunting his growth as a blindside protector; Trent Williams is older in age and therefore I'd love to see him @ RT. 

WR: Allen Robinson. 

Those are the 3 key big name FA players I'd love to see JD splash on surrounding Trevor Lawrence ($ invested into the offense, for once). 

QB: Trevor Lawrence. 

LT: Mekhi Becton. 

WR1: Allen Robinson. 

Slot: Jamison Crowder. 

WR2: Denzel Mims. 

WR4: Rondale Moore (Seattle pick, developing behind Crowder as an electric playmaker). 

RB: Najee Harris (1st pick of 2nd round). 

Perfect blend of youth (Lawrence/Becton/Mims/Moore/Najee) and veteran leadership (Robinson/Crowder/Trent/Thuney) resulting in 9 Primetime Offensive Game breakers. 

And suddenly (over night) we've not only got Trevor Lawrence but have surrounded him with an A+ offensive line, a top 5 NFL WR unit and a game breaking RB; yes splashing on 3 offensive Free Agents is a must with TL on a Rookie Contract (the time to strike is now). 

2022 with two first round picks is where we can finally attack OLB/CB. 

296860-Happy-Super-Bowl-Sunday.gif

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Slikmojet! said:

Personally I want Douglas to look at three big $$$ purchases in free
agency.  Something like:

- Godwin (WR)
- Thuney (G)
- Ngakoue (DE)

Then deal Darnold for another pick (#3?) and then go to work in the
draft:

#1 Lawrence
#1 BPA edge rusher
#2 BPA CB
#3 BPA OL
#3 BPA RB
#3 BPA TE

My 2 cents

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, KRL said:

agency.  Something like:

- Godwin (WR)
- Thuney (G)
- Ngakoue (DE)

draft:

#1 Lawrence
#1 BPA edge rusher
#2 BPA CB
#3 BPA OL
#3 BPA RB
#3 BPA TE

My 2 cents

In this scenario, what current Jets on expiring deals do you sign? Do you resign Perriman, Jenkins, Maye etc.

Money goes quick when you sign 3 top end FA. 

57 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

In this scenario, what current Jets on expiring deals do you sign? Do you resign Perriman, Jenkins, Maye etc.

Money goes quick when you sign 3 top end FA. 

Perriman and Maye that's it, time to move on from Jenkins.  Also since we will be one of the

few teams with cap $$$ the prices of free agents may not be outrageous

On 12/2/2020 at 7:33 AM, KRL said:

Perriman and Maye that's it, time to move on from Jenkins.  Also since we will be one of the

Im thinking the same, that the cap being lower will not only make more FAs available, that the offers arent going to be as high for FAs.  

I dont know how the feel about Fant given his injuries this season but if theyre not worried they may offer him a deal he managed the RT position when healthy

1 hour ago, KRL said:

We’ll also have $90M to start FA, so signing three big deals still leaves us with 40ish depending on contract structure. Plenty of room to bring back Maye Perriman.. even Poole and any of our FA LBs

1 hour ago, Jet Nut said:

Im thinking the same, that the cap being lower will not only make more FAs available, that the offers arent going to be as high for FAs.  

I dont know how the feel about Fant given his injuries this season but if theyre not worried they may offer him a deal he managed the RT position when healthy

Fant is already under contract for 2021, he’ll count $9.4M against the cap.  

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

There is one thing everyone forgets here and that there are players that get cut from teams. Besides the free agents that are listed there are players that are not on that list because they weren't cut yet. Remember most are players cut because of salary cap reasons.

• Upvote 1

I see Juju seems to be put in that top tier class. I see him more as a second tier WR.

In any event, JD will be looking at WRs. Godwin, ARob, and Golladay for sure. Those will be the prize. Then there’s the second tier guys that I would be happy with: Corey Davis, Juju, and Curtis Samuel. I hope he also brings back Perriman.

Got to imagine he wants to bring in a interior lineman. We targeted Thuney last year and likely will this year. Add Scherff to that list as well. It was also reported that we like McGovern at guard more than center. So adding a guy like Corey Linsley makes a ton of sense.

Aside from those two areas, I could see us targeting edge rusher, RB, and TE. Just not sure who and at what price. We might also be in the trade market for guys giving how much teams will need to maneuver to get under the cap. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, KRL said:

agency.  Something like:

- Godwin (WR)
- Thuney (G)
- Ngakoue (DE)

draft:

#1 Lawrence
#1 BPA edge rusher
#2 BPA CB
#3 BPA OL
#3 BPA RB
#3 BPA TE

My 2 cents

i would actually like to see edge addressed in FA, Judon/Ngakoue and offense with the 1st rounders.  Bateman/Moore/Pitts with the seattle pick.

I believe JD will be strategic with his spending in free agency and will likely trade back multiple times at the draft to compile more picks. And if the Jets land the first or second overall pick, he will move Darnold in a trade for draft picks, but only if he gets a first round or multiple second round picks. If he doesn't, he will hold on to Darnold for now and wait for desperation to set in after the draft when teams realize they need a young QB with a chance to be their future starter in their pipeline.

Assuming the Jets hold onto one of the top two picks, their new future QB will be Lawrence or Fields. JD will then target a few players and overpay them if he has to because they would be necessary for his young QB and give JD some freedom at the draft by filling a few glaring needs.

The O line is a mess and I expect JD to draft a C and either a G or perhaps a RT (Fant is decent for now and this depends on how they view Cam Clark's prospects to be a starting G next season).  Regardless, they have to protect their young QB so JD will open up the checkbook for Thuney or Scherff to stabilize the interior of the O line and be the veteran presence the O line needs.

You don't want your young QBs two top WR targets to be first and second year guys. And it frees up a draft pick if you land a WR in free agency. When you look at WRs one stands out - JuJu.  Pitt is unlikely to re-sign him because they are deep at WR and have to re-sign Bud Dupree. Based on the fact the JuJu is only 24 years old, a long term big payday can be justified allowing the spreading out of a large bonus over numerous years.

The Jets desperately need an edge rusher and I feel JD will go hard for Yannick Ngakoue. The sell will be Q. If Q continues to develop and collapsing the middle of the line, a guy like Ngakou can be a perennial double digit sacker.

Lastly, let the madness end at K. Everyone needs a young ho, and JD will get his in Younghoe Koo solving the Jets longtime problems at K.

Also, if Zach Ertz is released by Philly, JD will pounce because every young QB needs a security blanket.

Any other free agent signing by JD will be just like his other one's -- low risk and low pay.

• Upvote 3

I think Darnold is traded for a player by a cap strapped team. A player & a late pick like #3 or #4 depending on the quality of player, ie. Marshon Lattimore type. 
His stock is going down, we have mad cap room so I’d rather get a proven veteran starter to help our defense out in a critical area like #1 CB. 

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Slikmojet! said:

Like what you are saying, but would be a major disservice to move becton from LT. We want him to be there for ten years and do not want to have his growth stunted. 

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, HawkeyeJet said:

I'm believe the WRs on the roster right now are the WRs that will make up the bulk of our rotation next year. Obviously if Perriman chooses to go elsewhere that changes things. I just don't get the sense JD would spend big money on a WR in FA.

I do think he’ll prioritize OL once again to make stronger. 
If guys like Brandon Scherff or Thuney hit the market, JD will go after them easily. 

I can’t see him relying on these WRs once again. You gotta go get another solid piece. Maybe after trying and failing to get anyone, then you bring back Perriman but this cant be it.  

6 hours ago, sec101row23 said:

Fant is already under contract for 2021, he’ll count $9.4M against the cap.  

6 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

I thought he has a one year deal.  

Wait he got the 3 year deal, lol, my brain fart

3 year deal, but he can be cut after this season with only $2M dead cap.  If they think a guy like Edoga could start at RT, then Fant could be cut for the cap savings.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Lith said:

3 year deal, but he can be cut after this season with only $2M dead cap.  If they think a guy like Edoga could start at RT, then Fant could be cut for the cap savings.

Fant and Anderson could both be cut for an added $15.5M in cap space.  I don’t think either factors into the long term plans of this franchise.  

11 minutes ago, Lith said:

Thats what screwed me up, that they could get out after 1 season.

Thanks

6 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

Fant and Anderson could both be cut for an added $15.5M in cap space.  I don’t think either factors into the long term plans of this franchise.  

Fant’s been okay. Unless you’re signing a big money RT or spending a top draft pick to replace him, his contract is reasonable to keep around. Anderson, on the other hand, is playing his last five games in G&W

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, Sonny Werblin said:

I believe JD will be strategic with his spending in free agency and will likely trade back multiple times at the draft to compile more picks. And if the Jets land the first or second overall pick, he will move Darnold in a trade for draft picks, but only if he gets a first round or multiple second round picks. If he doesn't, he will hold on to Darnold for now and wait for desperation to set in after the draft when teams realize they need a young QB with a chance to be their future starter in their pipeline.

Assuming the Jets hold onto one of the top two picks, their new future QB will be Lawrence or Fields. JD will then target a few players and overpay them if he has to because they would be necessary for his young QB and give JD some freedom at the draft by filling a few glaring needs.

The O line is a mess and I expect JD to draft a C and either a G or perhaps a RT (Fant is decent for now and this depends on how they view Cam Clark's prospects to be a starting G next season).  Regardless, they have to protect their young QB so JD will open up the checkbook for Thuney or Scherff to stabilize the interior of the O line and be the veteran presence the O line needs.

You don't want your young QBs two top WR targets to be first and second year guys. And it frees up a draft pick if you land a WR in free agency. When you look at WRs one stands out - JuJu.  Pitt is unlikely to re-sign him because they are deep at WR and have to re-sign Bud Dupree. Based on the fact the JuJu is only 24 years old, a long term big payday can be justified allowing the spreading out of a large bonus over numerous years.

The Jets desperately need an edge rusher and I feel JD will go hard for Yannick Ngakoue. The sell will be Q. If Q continues to develop and collapsing the middle of the line, a guy like Ngakou can be a perennial double digit sacker.

Lastly, let the madness end at K. Everyone needs a young ho, and JD will get his in Younghoe Koo solving the Jets longtime problems at K.

Also, if Zach Ertz is released by Philly, JD will pounce because every young QB needs a security blanket.

Any other free agent signing by JD will be just like his other one's -- low risk and low pay.

Good post

19 hours ago, Slikmojet! said:

It's probably easier to name who he isn't isn't looking at.

• Haha 1

If Allen Robinson is available and we don't outbid everyone for him I will be f*cking furious. The perfect guy to help out Lawrence/Fields. Honestly wouldn't be against bringing back Perriman alongside him and stacking the WR core.

Thuney seems obvious too but I wouldn't mind if we pass and instead use the draft. Interior lineman are the type who can just drop off instantly, especially after getting paid and leaving the New England system.

The defence I am happy for us to go cheap on in both the draft and FA. The quality investment has to be around the new QB. If it isn't chances are we'll have another Darnold fiasco.