When did you know Joe Douglas was incapable of scouting kickers?

jetstream23

1 minute ago, mrcoops said:

McLaughlin's career made percentage is actually significantly better than Ficken's.

Here's the interesting thing about the journeyman McLaughlin....less than a month ago he was kicking for Jacksonville, missed an XP and a FG (4 points) in a game JAX lost by 3 to Minnesota.  It no longer matters but this guy was part of the JAX tank.

Maybe JD is trying to get some Belichickian type inside info from the JAX organization by signing their kicker.

Will Ferrell Lol GIF by NBA

4 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

We really should have just extended Jason Myers. I can't remember if that was a Mac move or a JD move (and it was defensible at the time) but clearly a massive mistake in hindsight.

Yup.  Hindsight is 20/20, but without a clear answer as to who was going to take over I'm not sure how you let Myers walk over $1M or so.

The Jets let Lac Edwards walk but I think JD knew he was going to draft a Punter last year.  It's surprising that this continues to be an issue.

• 6 months later...
On 12/13/2020 at 5:39 PM, joewilly12 said:

When you pickup sh*t kickers off the street this is what happens. 

Meanwhile Jason Meyers,Nick Folk and Mike Nugent are doing pretty decent in the NFL on other teams. 

Yeah?  What is so great about what they are doing?

On 12/13/2020 at 7:11 PM, jetstream23 said:

It’s been two years. How long does it take to find a guy who can kick a football between two yellow poles from 30 yards away?

What are you? Another one of the Jetnation divas pissing and moaning about every little detail that doesn't go specifically your way? Relax. The Jets are NOT contending for a title this season even if the football "gods" were to shine favorably upon us. I was hoping JD would fix kicker in the late rounds of April's draft just like you along with FB. I really wanted Ben Mason in the 5th round. Either way, there's a million holes that JD needs to fix and it was never going to get done in one off-season. Besides, the Jets still have Chris Naggar in camp don't they? 

• Haha 1

On 12/13/2020 at 5:39 PM, kmnj said:

They say u can’t judge all of his failures this year and there have been plenty- he gets to suck for a few years first 

gm of the worst team in nfl history 

parcells took a one win team to the afc championship in year two 

Who was the gm of the worst team in nfl history?

28 minutes ago, Ghost420 said:

Who was the gm of the worst team in nfl history?

For the Jets it was Rich Kotite. Not only was he the coach he also was the GM in 1996. Or John McKay of the 76 Tampa Bay Buccaneers I think he was the coach and GM as well 

21 minutes ago, Ghost420 said:

Myers was gone before JD got here no?

so yes Myers signed with Seattle 3 months before JD was hired so not his fault we have not retained a solid kicker.  

It will be Interstibg to see  how JD does negotiate when he wants to retain a productive player that is one of his guys.  If one of these kickers signs a one year contract and has a really good year , is Douglas going to let him walk bc he doesn’t want to pay a kicker more than x?  

I don’t blame JD for letting several of these recent Jets walk.  They were part of losing cultures and he wants all that eradicated.  I don’t mind him not breaking the bank for good nor great players.  But at a certain point you are going to have to pay some premiums for guys that  are perform in your system   

I always point to laverneous coles in 02/03. Was clear he had an extra special chemistry with chad, why did scrw around with him and ultimately trade him? That hurt chad in my opinion. Pay the premium on the guys that fit well and have performed in the existing system. 

On 7/31/2021 at 12:49 AM, RutgersJetFan said:

To be fair the Jets haven't been able to find a kicker since the 90's. 

23 hours ago, kevinc855 said:

Hall and Meyers? 

Folk was actually pretty good for us until the end of his time. 

• Upvote 1

• 3 months later...
On 1/2/2021 at 10:37 PM, UntouchableCrew said:

We really should have just extended Jason Myers. I can't remember if that was a Mac move or a JD move (and it was defensible at the time) but clearly a massive mistake in hindsight.

But roll over cap dollars, though