CJ Mosley expectations

AFJF

By the time the season starts it will have been over 30 months since 29 y/o CJ Mosley stepped on a football field and didn't get hurt.

What are your expectations?

I think ILB is quietly a position this team needs to look at in the middle/late rounds.  

Edited by AFJF
  • Upvote 4

It’s a good point. Mosley looked like a major impact player until he was injured which was very early. He opted out for this season so you’d think that means the Jets didn’t have to pay him this year. He’s still fairly young and on a 5 year deal. If he were to come back it could be major in turning around this team. 

6 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

I expect him to come in to camp, in great shape, ready to go and to knock people’s heads off.  He’s a dynamic player when on the field who needs to give us some of that play.  He’s like an extra draft pick.  Blue chip draft pick
No animosity, he made decisions based on his family life, his fears, whatever, all in the confines of the rules bargained for by owners and the union.  

i tend to agree but the jets experience with guys like trumaine and wilky give me a show me attitude.  as you say, mosely can be a force.  hopefully he comes back with the fire in his belly.  then that's one position the jets will not have to worry about.

10 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

I expect him to come in to camp, in great shape, ready to go and to knock people’s heads off.  He’s a dynamic player when on the field who needs to give us some of that play.  He’s like an extra draft pick.  Blue chip draft pick
No animosity, he made decisions based on his family life, his fears, whatever, all in the confines of the rules bargained for by owners and the union.  

You can't take two years off in a professional sport and think you're going to come back playing at anywhere near previous levels.

Particularly with a rebuilding team breaking in a new QB.

Too bad he can't be cut.

ILBs are a dime a dozen and easy to find anywhere and are perhaps the lowest priority position on a team.

Bryce Hager walks in an has 5 tackles and 5 assisted tackles last game.

Late round pick at the most and I would sign cheap free agents for ilb

First off has Mosley found his "love of the game" again?
With two years off I would expect his body to be fresh
and he should be effective.  Because his biggest asset
was his mind and the ability to be a DC on the field.
The LB position needs a revamping no matter what defense
the new DC runs.  At this point the only definite holdovers
would be Hewitt, Basham and Huff (and they could be flipped
to DE if we go 4-3) 

• Upvote 2

27 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Listen nobody wants to read your rationale level headed posts around here show yourself the door ?

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Nothing. 

I can't imagine him having any impact whatsoever.  I wouldn't be surprised if he gets cut mid-season.  Much like Bell.

If there is no cost benefit you don’t cut him. Tired of these guys dogging and complaining in the hopes of getting cut while keeping the majority of their money and become FA to sign with KC/NO/Balt etc

4 minutes ago, KRL said:

If Martindale becomes our HC then I would expect Mosley's role
to become extremely important.  On top of that we would probably
re-sign Onsuwaor and be the leader in signing Matt Judon

Smart as usual. 
This is a case where the HC choice is critical. 

31 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

If there is no cost benefit you don’t cut him. Tired of these guys dogging and complaining in the hopes of getting cut while keeping the majority of their money and become FA to sign with KC/NO/Balt etc

Eh...he's going to be bad because he hasn't played in two years and will start chirping and blaming the Jets.  They'll cut him.

• Upvote 1

I could see him cut at the earliest and most prudent moment, regardless of cost. He’s a reminder of the old regime,

We will have the new coach, who will bring his own ideas, and a GM that didn’t sign him, they will want him off the books.
If he’s a Jet come September 2020, I will be surprised. The guy took the Jets to the cleaners, and is the worst contract we’ve ever sign, and that saying something.

I wonder why Mike Maccagnan is still unemployed ? 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, FidelioJet said:

Nothing. 

I can't imagine him having any impact whatsoever.  I wouldn't be surprised if he gets cut mid-season.  Much like Bell.

He can't be cut,  his dead cap number would be insane.  20 million according to overthecap.com.

2 minutes ago, chirorob said:

He can't be cut,  his dead cap number would be insane.  20 million according to overthecap.com.

Eh..

We have the cap room.  Gotta pay him anyway.  Rather take the hit now and move on.  If he's dead weight he's useless, bring in a young fresh, cheap body.

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

8 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Eh..

We have the cap room.  Gotta pay him anyway.  Rather take the hit now and move on.  If he's dead weight he's useless, bring in a young fresh, cheap body.

They already have 15 million in dead cap space for next year.   Mosely is guaranteed no matter what, there is no reason to take a 7.5 million hit and make it a 20 while allowing him to be a free agent.   

I don't think he'll do much next year, but keep him, see if he can add anything to the team.   It is literally 0 extra dollars spent to keep him on the team.

1 hour ago, KRL said:

If Martindale becomes our HC then I would expect Mosley's role
to become extremely important.  On top of that we would probably
re-sign Onsuwaor and be the leader in signing Matt Judon

I was really hoping that we would get something from Onsunawor . Id see if I can get a 3rd+ for Moseley

1 hour ago, Jet Nut said:

This is, for sure, the hope.

I have no idea what he'll look like when he comes back, frankly. It will be a long time with very little football played. We just need to hope he's highly motivated and still wants to play.

7 minutes ago, chirorob said:

They already have 15 million in dead cap space for next year.   Mosely is guaranteed no matter what, there is no reason to take a 7.5 million hit and make it a 20 while allowing him to be a free agent.   

I don't think he'll do much next year, but keep him, see if he can add anything to the team.   It is literally 0 extra dollars spent to keep him on the team.

I think you see what you have in him.  For sure you start the season with him..but if he's loafing, not productive and a distraction you cut him.

My point is that is pretty much what I expect to happen.

• Upvote 1

Bunch of freaking morons! He was hurt & opted out of Covid. He's a physical freak & is smart as a tack. Plus, our cap would be f*cked by cutting him. He's like getting another draft pick for god sake, what the hell is wrong with our fan base? CJ Mosely showing up to a full training camp is getting a sure pro bowler back! He doesn't have 1000 carries as a RB like Bell! 

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, BurnleyJet said:

The contract is so insane, he’s un-tradable. I think he’s a reminder to the old days he’s gone regardless of the cost.

Not really. He is very tradeable. We still had to pay a jumbo bonus, but Moseley did not get a year accrued. 

It would cost us $12.5 million cap hit to trade him.

The remainder of his contract is 4 years $16.2 million, but nothing is guaranteed after second year so guarantee is 2 years $25 million. And he completely sucks team could cut him for $8 million cap hit, so it it would be one year for $15.5 million.

So the team trading for him is not really risking much. 

Of course the same applies for us so we essentially have him on a 2 year $25 million contract.