Douglas speaks!

28 minutes ago, JTJet said:

Lies already. 

Christopher Johnson and Joe Douglas have now both claimed to fire Adam Gase. 

You don't think you are trying too hard here? 

The Jets do plenty of dumb/embarrassing sh*t on their own - no need to try and invent something that isn't there. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

12 minutes ago, Cut Jet Penalty Makers said:

He bombed on Free Agents and his draft is questionable...left talent on the board when he drafted Morgan, Zuniga and Perine

I wonder if all his scouts and talent evaluators were fully in place at the time of this years draft or were there MacDaddy holdover information being used? I hope so... because this could easily turn into a MacDaddy draft class minus Becton!

Not going to lie, sounds very ominous for Sam.  If I had to guess, some of his top candidates are telling him they would like to move on.  Either that or he really likes what he saw last week from Fields.  

Man this QB thing is gonna f’ng draaaaag.

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

6 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

They sound like the words of a GM who'd like to move on.

JD's comments give no indication if he stays or goes. No one should be surprised with either outcome.

But people see what they want to see. 

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

I'm not willing to go there just yet, but I think the longer the Jets look at it, the more obvious it will be to just draft Fields or Wilson and get what you can for Sam. 

I think Sam would have a better chance of returning if the draft were next month. But, these teams tend to fall in love with these QBs as time goes along and Sam's tape isn't getting any better between now and April. 

I've always held out hope for Darnold, hoping that he'd turn the corner.  I think JD has as well.  But it's been two full seasons of Douglas watching firsthand what type of QB Sam is and, if I had to describe Sam in one word it would be "frustrating."  He's frustrating because you see the talent, you see the throws, you see him do some things that very, very few other QBs can do.....but you also see the mistakes, the lack of progress, the taking of sacks or running the ball out of bounds rather than throwing it away, the turnovers, etc.  After 3 years in the NFL I've come around to the fact that some poor coaching and a meh roster can only explain so much.  I think JD sees it the same way.  Darnold's very last game against NE was a perfect microcosm of what he is.... a great TD pass down the middle to the TE, some great throws throughout the game, and two self-inflicted wounds of turning the ball over in crucial spots, in the end zone, etc.  That's how you lose a 28-14 game and ultimately, the confidence of your GM.

If I'm a new HC coming to the Jets I want a clean slate and a fresh start.  I don't want a reclamation project, I don't want the pressure to "fix" Sam Darnold in one year, I don't want to be at a press conference in Week 2 answering questions about why Darnold threw 3 INTs and we lost by a TD.  I think the HC change will push the QB change.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

4 minutes ago, PS17 said:

Talented, great attitude. A rare easy re-sign for the Jets. 

Well, it's an easy decision for the Jets.  They should want him.  But whether he's easy to re-sign is another question.  I think he would have been easier to sign last Summer right after we traded Jamal Adams and before his final year.  Now he's an unrestricted FA and has some leverage.  We might be overpaying a bit.

1 minute ago, BurnleyJet said:

Well that Mofo JD is now on the clock, and he knows it. I expect the kitchen sink being thrown at in in the off season, and draft. No way can he survive another season like this.

Exactly the problem. No patient rebuild.  Not going to do it like the Steelers.  Going to do it like the Jets.  

SAR I

18 minutes ago, peebag said:

He better cuz he doesn't have much left back there if Maye goes bye bye.

It would be great to re-sign him because we drafted him but there is actually a handful of safeties that are ranked higher than him that are hitting free agency.

6 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

You don't think you are trying too hard here? 

The Jets do plenty of dumb/embarrassing sh*t on their own - no need to try and invent something that isn't there. 

Not at all. 

They said it. I didnt just pull this out of my cornhole and to be fair, I would/should have more benefit of doubt than the Jets at this point. 

• WTF? 1

9 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

Not going to lie, sounds very ominous for Sam.  If I had to guess, some of his top candidates are telling him they would like to move on.  Either that or he really likes what he saw last week from Fields.  

Man this QB thing is gonna f’ng draaaaag.

April 29,2021 

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, rayzor said:

It would be great to re-sign him because we drafted him but there is actually a handful of safeties that are ranked higher than him that are hitting free agency.

I like Maye as a free safety. Very good in coverage, sure tackler.

I want a little bigger guy as my box safety.

• Upvote 2

19 minutes ago, K_O_Brien said:

Which free agents would you have signed in 2020? Robby and..?

Really doesn't matter what I would have done...I'm not getting paid to do it...if the Jets want to sign me to a contract to do it, then fine...that doesn't let Douglas, who is getting paid, off the hook from evaluating what he did and will do going forward...results are what this game is all about. 

3 minutes ago, JTJet said:

Not at all. 

They said it. I didnt just pull this out of my cornhole and to be fair, I would/should have more benefit of doubt than the Jets at this point. 

They didn't "say" what you think they said. 

Any time an NFL head coach (employee) is fired, the owner has to sign off on it. He's the guy who is paying the coach (employee) millions of dollars to not coach anymore. That doesn't mean that the decision to fire the coach wasn't actually made by the GM. 

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Exactly the problem. No patient rebuild.  Not going to do it like the Steelers.  Going to do it like the Jets.  

SAR I

This was year 1 of the rebuild. 

Teams turn it around quickly in the NFL. 

There is no reason this can't be a 7-9/8-8 team with a good offseason. 

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

1 minute ago, BurnleyJet said:

Utter nonsense, what you said has zero basis on reality. The Steelers have had Big Ben for 15+ years. It makes them competitive yearly. Second they don’t waste picks on Run stuffing D Tackles or none impact positions. Strong online, receivers, QB, and edge rushers.

sh*t why did no one else pick J.J Watts brother to middle of round 1?

Darnold traded, We pick Fields #2. We sign Joe Thuney, then it’s a very offensive draft. Q.B, Running back, Oline receiver.

With whipping-boy Gase gone, Douglas has gone from the nerdy draft geek in the background to Public Enemy #1 if things go south next season.  

Planes flying, billboards, you know how it goes in this market with these fans.  They don’t want 5-11 and a nice slow build of an OL and a secondary.  They want 10-6 immediately.  And that’s going to pressure Douglas.  I pray he doesn’t bow to the pressure. History in Florham Park doesn’t bode well.  

SAR I

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

1 minute ago, BroadwayRay said:

In regards to draft, says bulk of the work has been done. Combine, senior bowl, pro days are just for putting "finishing touches" on evaluations.

The combine really does still make things move about. Although your right about the evaluations.

• Upvote 1

Just now, BroadwayRay said:

Again, on Darnold, says "there will be a lot of discussions in the offseason ... We have to do whats in the longterm interests of the team."

Acknowledged that Darnold's contract situation is a factor that will be considered.

Eat the money and let the kid walk.  Or else, JD, you start the supposed Jets new era with a weight around your neck.

• Upvote 1