What would you trade for Deshaun Watson?

1 minute ago, Long Island Leprechaun said:

Really. We're trading the farm because of what past GM's failed to do? I call BS. This nonsense has to stop.

Not the farm and it’s not what past gems have done, it’s proven data over the past 60 years of nfl history. I just used the jets as an example but this proves true for the entirety of the league. 

• Upvote 2

Watson is an elite QB and a  good person that cares about the community he lives in. But no thanks on the Jets trading for him. Texans will want way too much in a trade for one. In spite of his personal heroics, he has not transformed the Texans into perennial winners. And they have had some talented teams in his time here (not so much this year). And he can be a bit of a head case. He will not transform the Jets and may actually derail what we all hope is a well thought out rebuild by our GM and new HC. Its a hard pass for me. PS....I live just outside of Houston, I follow the Texans, think well of Watson and still don't want him on our team.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Cp561 said:

Non elite qb??? You cannot be serious. You may be the only person in America who wouldn't call Watson an elite qb, get real

You wish he was the only one. Suspicious overlap between Pro-Darnolds and Anti-Watsons.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

49 minutes ago, TexJet said:

Watson is an elite QB and a  good person that cares about the community he lives in. But no thanks on the Jets trading for him. Texans will want way too much in a trade for one. In spite of his personal heroics, he has not transformed the Texans into perennial winners. And they have had some talented teams in his time here (not so much this year). And he can be a bit of a head case. He will not transform the Jets and may actually derail what we all hope is a well thought out rebuild by our GM and new HC. Its a hard pass for me. PS....I live just outside of Houston, I follow the Texans, think well of Watson and still don't want him on our team.

A bit of a head case? What does this mean? Guy has no off field issues, is well spoken and respected by all his team mates and opponents alike. Not a bad thing has ever been spoken about him that im aware of

12 hours ago, Cp561 said:

A bit of a head case? What does this mean? Guy has no off field issues, is well spoken and respected by all his team mates and opponents alike. Not a bad thing has ever been spoken about him that im aware of

Do you live in Houston? Follow the Texans? Listen to sports news on local stations? If you did, you would understand. He's a good guy - just a head case sometimes. His overt anger at the team and ownership is just an example. If he truly cares about making the Texans a better team / franchise, there are better, more covert ways of accomplishing what he wants. I will leave it at that. Jets making a play for Watson would be a mistake, one that I seriously doubt Douglas makes.

1 minute ago, TexJet said:

Do you live in Houston? Follow the Texans? Listen to sports news on local stations? If you did, you would understand. He's a good guy - just a head case sometimes. His overt anger at the team and ownership is just an example. If he truly cares about making the Texans a better team / franchise, there are better, more covert ways of accomplishing what he wants. I will leave it at that. Jets making a play for Watson would be a mistake, one that I seriously doubt Douglas makes.

Please give examples of times he has shown to be a headcase? Headcase is strong, I must have missed something

It would be ironic if Watson were to shoot his way ONTO the same team that Jamal shot his way OFF OF just a year earlier.  Even more ironic that the picks we get for Jamal would smooth the cost of acquiring Watson.  The best and worst irony is that we should have taken Watson instead of Jamal back in 2017.  It's almost like the universe is trying to help the Jets correct a great wrong.  That's how incredibly messed up things are.

• Upvote 1

Oh and with all the talk about piling up 1st round picks to trade for Watson (which is insane), keep in mind that this is the same team that engineered two of the worst trades in recent NFL history - getting absolutely fleeced both times.  So here's my 'fair' offer.

#2 and #66 this year.  1st and 3rd next year.  And take on a bad contract like Whitney Mercilus which would save them $10.5M in cap next year, which they desperately need.

The Mercilus contract would slow down our rebuild but if it saved us another high draft pick, and gave us some decent pass rush for a year, it's not really such a bad move.  We could also recoup another pick by trading Darnold.

This feels like a big win for both teams assuming the Texans can't get more out of MIA.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, nycdan said:

Oh and with all the talk about piling up 1st round picks to trade for Watson (which is insane), keep in mind that this is the same team that engineered two of the worst trades in recent NFL history - getting absolutely fleeced both times.  So here's my 'fair' offer.

#2 and #66 this year.  1st and 3rd next year.  And take on a bad contract like Whitney Mercilus which would save them $10.5M in cap next year, which they desperately need.

The Mercilus contract would slow down our rebuild but if it saved us another high draft pick, and gave us some decent pass rush for a year, it's not really such a bad move.  We could also recoup another pick by trading Darnold.

This feels like a big win for both teams assuming the Texans can't get more out of MIA.

This sounds like a competitive offer. But your point about not "piling up 1st round picks," isn't this doing that?

7 minutes ago, jgb said:

This sounds like a competitive offer. But your point about not "piling up 1st round picks," isn't this doing that?

Two 1st rounders, a 2nd and a 3rd.  I've seen a lot of posts wanting to throw at least three 1st rounders at this.  I guess it's semantics but my personal goal is to retain a 1st rounder each year if possible.  Not empty the pantry.  Besides the obvious reasons, you would probably need Watson to feel good about the future here and those picks would be a big part of it.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, nycdan said:

Two 1st rounders, a 2nd and a 3rd.  I've seen a lot of posts wanting to throw at least three 1st rounders at this.  I guess it's semantics but my personal goal is to retain a 1st rounder each year if possible.  Not empty the pantry.  Besides the obvious reasons, you would probably need Watson to feel good about the future here and those picks would be a big part of it.

Yeah, we saw the same thing in regards to Robbie. Those who wanted him gone just pulled a random huge number of of thin air ($15M/yr or more) and just hammered that on everyone who wanted to re-sign him. In the end, he obviously could've been had for much less. I think the hangwringing about "we can't give up 5 first round picks for one guy!" Is just a tactic to make the move seem insane without discussing its actual pros/cons.

• Upvote 1

Both Seattle picks, a 4th or 5th, Darnold, Quinnen, and maybe someone like Hewitt. I would really do everything I could to avoid giving up the 2nd overall and don't think it needs to be included. IMO people are vastly undervaluing that specific pick in this specific draft when discussing hypotheticals. As a franchise one of the main culture changes needed (and already begun with the Adams trade) is that the Jets need to start getting in the habit of underpaying or at the very least not consistently overpaying. 

20 minutes ago, Lith said:

Trying to appease Watson?

Well whether they hire him or not f'ing everyone else interviewed him. Jets signed Saleh so they're not even going to interview the other guy Watson wanted?

It'll take them longer to recover from losing Watson, plus having their name mud around the league, than a worst-case scenario of Beiniemy being a terrible HC who gets fired after 3 seasons. Watson is 25 and is under contract for 5 more seasons. 

Just channel the inner Randy Marsh and apologize lol.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Lith said:

That's my guess as well.  Texans leadership should be doing everything they can to keep him.

If you were Watson, do you see a viable & successful marriage moving forward? 
Looking at Cap space, talent and Draft capital if you were Watson and had this leverage (racism & incompetence) would you give it up to be tied to a sinking ship? OR..... use this opportunity to force a trade to either Miami or NY who are best positioned to provide the necessary value to make it a win-win-win? Kid wants to win like he sees his peers winning (Mahomes, Allen, LJ etc)

2 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Both Seattle picks, a 4th or 5th, Darnold, Quinnen, and maybe someone like Hewitt. I would really do everything I could to avoid giving up the 2nd overall and don't think it needs to be included. IMO people are vastly undervaluing that specific pick in this specific draft when discussing hypotheticals. As a franchise one of the main culture changes needed (and already begun with the Adams trade) is that the Jets need to start getting in the habit of underpaying or at the very least not consistently overpaying. 

I don't think anyone wants to part with that pick, but I wouldn't let it get in the way in the end. I think most people who seem to be throwing that in are just jumping to the point after presuming they turn down offers that include no higher Jets-earned picks.

10 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

From a value perspective, I think we could get at least two first rounder for Quinnen alone right now, if we were even thinking of trading him.  

So you are offering four 1st rounders plus more.  Way too much.

• Sympathy 1

18 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

If you were Watson, do you see a viable & successful marriage moving forward? 
Looking at Cap space, talent and Draft capital if you were Watson and had this leverage (racism & incompetence) would you give it up to be tied to a sinking ship? OR..... use this opportunity to force a trade to either Miami or NY who are best positioned to provide the necessary value to make it a win-win-win? Kid wants to win like he sees his peers winning (Mahomes, Allen, LJ etc)

Honestly, I don't know.  Obviously he saw a successful marriage possible 4 1/2 months ago when he signed an extension.  But if I am Houston, I am going to do everything I can to try to convince him to stay.

35 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

I don't think anyone wants to part with that pick, but I wouldn't let it get in the way in the end. I think most people who seem to be throwing that in are just jumping to the point after presuming they turn down offers that include no higher Jets-earned picks.

I think if they demand 2 and 23(?) this year then you don't offer anything beyond a 3rd for 2022. Players fine but picks no. I dunno man this sh*t just seems like slightly too much. If Douglas can get two firsts for Adams from Pete Carroll surely he can swindle the dude that was too dumb to keep his mouth shut re: that stupid inmate quote. 

Just now, RutgersJetFan said:

I think if they demand two and 23(?) this year then you don't offer anything beyond a 3rd for 2022. Players fine but picks no. I dunno man this sh*t just seems like slightly too much. If Douglas can get two firsts for Adams from Pete Carroll surely he can swindle the dude that was too dumb to keep his mouth shut re: that stupid inmate quote. 

No doubt. What is helpful that Douglas would be dealing with a GM not fans (or sportswriters) who can't compute the calculation and just see "1st rounder" - is the #1 has the trade-down value of at least two #1s (with one of them still being around #10, give or take, and the other unknown but probably #15 +/-5) on top of #23. Or move down further (all in theory) and now it's 3 #1s, a #2 and a #3

The problem is this is a PR nightmare for the Texans, and none of the screamers saying "that's less than the Jets got for Jamal Adams" are going to listen to the rationalization that #2 this year and the Seahawks' 1st rounder 2 years after the trade are not close to the same thing. 

• Upvote 2