the Offense Line question

doitny

there is a lot of talk here about drafting Penei Sewell with the 2nd pick. now i for one dont think we should waste that high a pick on another LT. and im guessing since Saleh is a defensive guy and we need serious help at CB one of our 1st rders would go there. or and edge rushers. cant see Saleh ignoring the defense with both 1st rd picks when we need help over there too.

anyway i did some research i think you guys should see. that some of the best teams in the league dont keep drafting OL with there 1st rd picks

Buffalo- 0-4 last 5 yrs ..... 0-8 last 10 yrs that they have drafted a OL in the 1st rd. there heading to the AFCCC next week.

Pittsburgh- 0-4 ....... 1-9..... one of the best run teams in the NFL. 

Baltimore- 1-6....... 1-10.... 

Cleveland- 1-7...... 2-15.... even with 15 1st rd picks in 10 years they only took 2 OL in them.

KC- 0-2....... 1-7...... best team in AFC

LA Rams-0-1...1-8.... cant believe they had one pick in the 1st rd in the last 5 years. 

Green Bay- 0-4...... 1-9... 

now to be fair there are some who are doing good by drafting more than 1 OL. yet one didnt make the playoffs and the other 2 got eliminated on opening weekend. maybe if they took one of those OL picks and drafted a different position they would still be playing.

Miami..2-7....3-12

Tenn... 2-6....4-11

Ind... 2-3.....3-7

point is , we dont have to waste another high 1st rd pick on a OL. btw most of these 1st rd OL were after 10.

if those top teams can get a good OL without wasting 2 1st rders on them, so can we.

oh and 2 of the worst teams

Cin.... 2-5......3-10 and

Detroit...2-5.....4-10

• Upvote 3

5 hours ago, doitny said:

there is a lot of talk here about drafting Penei Sewell with the 2nd pick. now i for one dont think we should waste that high a pick on another LT. and im guessing since Saleh is a defensive guy and we need serious help at CB one of our 1st rders would go there. or and edge rushers. cant see Saleh ignoring the defense with both 1st rd picks when we need help over there too.

anyway i did some research i think you guys should see. that some of the best teams in the league dont keep drafting OL with there 1st rd picks

Buffalo- 0-4 last 5 yrs ..... 0-8 last 10 yrs that they have drafted a OL in the 1st rd. there heading to the AFCCC next week.

Cleveland- 1-7...... 2-15.... even with 15 1st rd picks in 10 years they only took 2 OL in them.

LA Rams-0-1...1-8.... cant believe they had one pick in the 1st rd in the last 5 years. 

now to be fair there are some who are doing good by drafting more than 1 OL. yet one didnt make the playoffs and the other 2 got eliminated on opening weekend. maybe if they took one of those OL picks and drafted a different position they would still be playing.

Miami..2-7....3-12

Tenn... 2-6....4-11

Ind... 2-3.....3-7

point is , we dont have to waste another high 1st rd pick on a OL. btw most of these 1st rd OL were after 10.

if those top teams can get a good OL without wasting 2 1st rders on them, so can we.

Detroit...2-5.....4-10

If Joe Douglas can sign a player like Allen Robinson there is no shame in taking what many are considering the best non QB in the draft. 

Pennei Sewell would be the 1st guy off the board if Trevor Lawrence wasn't in this draft. 

Now if we didn't have #23 & that high second rounder at #34, that's a different story. The Jets are now chasing the Buffalo Bills in the division. The Ravens were throwing to fast shrimps. Jets need to pair up 2 big boys like Robinson & Mims, with a good running game to compete with Buffalo. 

Next year we can finish the defense when we see what holes we need to fill after 2021, at the same time Josh Allens agent is having him sign his new contract that will be in the Patrick Mahomes stratosphere. 

So I get the hesitancy to not want to take the OL at 2. I've been advocating to trade out which would probably take us out of the Sewell sweepstakes. I'm cool with that as much as I'd like those bookends, I think that Fant has done a good enough job at RT. We're not needing Sewell, we're needing the best CENTER in this draft, as well as a GUARD. That's the part of the OL we should be focusing on.

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, doitny said:

Miami..2-7....3-12

Tenn... 2-6....4-11

Ind... 2-3.....3-7

Detroit...2-5.....4-10

This post is excellent. 

6 hours ago, doitny said:

Miami..2-7....3-12

Tenn... 2-6....4-11

Ind... 2-3.....3-7

Detroit...2-5.....4-10

All of those teams BOUGHT lineman in free agency. Buffalo? Morse, KC? Fisher, Pittsburgh? Pouncy, LA? Whitworth, Browns? Conklin. 

Baltimore? Running QB (fastest in the league) helps Oline tremendously & oh by the way, they didn't do a very good job last night did they? How about that Center? And Green Bay has Aaron Rogers who outside of Tom Brady who also helped his Oline by being the GOAT are both outliers. 

I don't understand what any of this has to do with wanting the Jets to try to build the best Oline in the league? We have plenty of money & picks for skill position offensive players! 

1 hour ago, Jetster said:

If Joe Douglas can sign a player like Allen Robinson there is no shame in taking what many are considering the best non QB in the draft. 

Pennei Sewell would be the 1st guy off the board if Trevor Lawrence wasn't in this draft. 

Now if we didn't have #23 & that high second rounder at #34, that's a different story. The Jets are now chasing the Buffalo Bills in the division. The Ravens were throwing to fast shrimps. Jets need to pair up 2 big boys like Robinson & Mims, with a good running game to compete with Buffalo. 

Next year we can finish the defense when we see what holes we need to fill after 2021, at the same time Josh Allens agent is having him sign his new contract that will be in the Patrick Mahomes stratosphere. 

https://www.nbcsports.com/bayarea/49ers/nine-49ers-free-agents-robert-saleh-jets-could-target-2021-season

If you look at the offense Lafleur ran in SF you have 2 big physical WR in Brandon Aiyuk and Debo Samuel and a quick slot guy. Blocking by WR is of utmost importance to the running game which sets up the passing game. 

Allen Robinson fits that mold as does Mims. Crowder stays in slot and you draft another physical WR for 4 WR spread sets. Grab your physical TE in 3rd-4th rd. That leaves the OL zone blocking players. Thune  in FA and Center in the 2nd-3rd. 

Saleh will want a SF player or 2 in FA to help run his defense and Lefleur a couple as well. Who do you choose and what type of contract do you give?

the jets need skill players on both sides of the ball.  maybe drafting a tackle with the 2 pick seems like a nice idea but it's all about comparative value too.  is the tackle that much better than some of the edge and cb's coming out?  what about the wr's and qb's besides lawrence?  and it also depends on how much douglas want to spend on free agents.  i'm sure they will be able to get a couple of top flight guards in free agency and that alone will leave them pretty well set on the oline leaving skill players for the draft.

8 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

I totally expect us to draft an EDGE at #23.

Agreed. Need a cheap option here to develop and keep the 5th yr. option. 
Saleh needs a Bosa type player on other side of QW and with Mosley managing the middle of the field this leaves #1 CB as the last key piece to his D

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

https://www.nbcsports.com/bayarea/49ers/nine-49ers-free-agents-robert-saleh-jets-could-target-2021-season

If you look at the offense Lafleur ran in SF you have 2 big physical WR in Brandon Aiyuk and Debo Samuel and a quick slot guy. Blocking by WR is of utmost importance to the running game which sets up the passing game. 

Allen Robinson fits that mold as does Mims. Crowder stays in slot and you draft another physical WR for 4 WR spread sets. Grab your physical TE in 3rd-4th rd. That leaves the OL zone blocking players. Thune  in FA and Center in the 2nd-3rd. 

Saleh will want a SF player or 2 in FA to help run his defense and Lefleur a couple as well. Who do you choose and what type of contract do you give?

Aiyuk and Debo are both a hair under 6’.  Bourne was their biggest receiver this year and he is only 6’1”.   They haven’t really featured bigger 6’2” plus receivers.  They attempted to go bigger with Jalen Hurd, but sadly he hasn’t seen the field in 2 years.  

15 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

I totally expect us to draft an EDGE at #23.

If Douglas goes the "Fan Theory Route" and signs BOTH Robinson (WR) and Thuney (G), maybe we go "Edge" at #23.

If we trade down from #2, and get multiple 1st and 2nd Round Picks in return, maybe we go "Edge" at #23.

If we stand pat, and go Edge at #23, with this offense in the shape it's been for multiple decades.......no.  Just no.

Defense.  Doesn't.  Win.  Offense and scoring is what wins in the NFL.  

CASE IN POINT:  Robert Saleh led the 5th ranked Defense in the NFL in 2020.

They finished 6-10.  

• Post of the Week 1

7 hours ago, doitny said:

im guessing since Saleh is a defensive guy and we need serious help at CB one of our 1st rders would go there. or and edge rushers. cant see Saleh ignoring the defense with both 1st rd picks when we need help over there too.

Joe Douglas runs the draft, not Saleh. I expect the two men to work together but, when the card goes in, it's JD's pick. It's very possible that the Jets take a CB or an Edge with the #23, and frankly I would prefer that to the RB many people want there, but that will be the result of Joe Douglas following his board, not giving his defensive head coach more toys. 

And also, it seems to me that Saleh was hired because he's seen as a true CEO type who will be running the whole operation, not just his defense, and probably understands that offense is pretty important. 

But Sewell won't be the pick because it's a poor allocation of resources after finding a perfectly good LT in last year's draft. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

12 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

Aiyuk and Debo are both a hair under 6’.  Bourne was their biggest receiver this year and he is only 6’1”.   They haven’t really featured bigger 6’2” plus receivers.  They attempted to go bigger with Jalen Hurd, but sadly he hasn’t seen the field in 2 years.  

They are physical however and physical is at a premium in Lefleur system IMO. 

41 minutes ago, Warfish said:

If Douglas goes the "Fan Theory Route" and signs BOTH Robinson (WR) and Thuney (G), maybe we go "Edge" at #23.

If we trade down from #2, and get multiple 1st and 2nd Round Picks in return, maybe we go "Edge" at #23.

If we stand pat, and go Edge at #23, with this offense in the shape it's been for multiple decades.......no.  Just no.

Defense.  Doesn't.  Win.  Offense and scoring is what wins in the NFL.  

CASE IN POINT:  Robert Saleh led the 5th ranked Defense in the NFL in 2020.

They finished 6-10.  

I mostly agree

But it’s clear that Saleh HIGHLY values edgerushers in his defense above all else.

Over the last two years the 49ers drafted Bosa #2 overall in addition to trading a 2nd round pick for Dee Ford and giving him a $90 million contract.

If someone like Rousseau or Ojulari is there at #23, I can see Douglas pulling the trigger.

1 hour ago, NYJ1 said:

I think the plan will be for the Jets to keep Sammy and trade down. Thereby, losing out on Sewell, but accumulating many more first and second day picks. Douglas will spend those picks on OL and probably a QB to compete with Sammy?

But everyone keeps ignoring Sam's 5th year fixed at 25M or you ave to give him some agreed upon extension. Why would a HC/GM both with 5 years on their contracts want to hitch to a QB with a 1-2 year window with high $ to be paid that could cost them their jobs by the end of the 2nd year as opposed to a QB at #2 that they will have 4 years with at like 10-15M(and that extra 10M+ helps get more FAs) a year?. And you may not get as much as the trade down, but the scenario I just mentioned could get a 2nd rounder and mid rounder for a Darnold trade even getting those picks in the 2021 draft. Lets all be honest, if ut were our jobs on the line we would take the QB deal at #2 to buy yourself the 4 years and not hitch to possibly being ut f work in 2 years considering the body of work we have seen from Darnold and that his ceiling just may not be that high.

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, UnknownJetFan said:

But everyone keeps ignoring Sam's 5th year fixed at 25M or you ave to give him some agreed upon extension. Why would a HC/GM both with 5 years on their contracts want to hitch to a QB with a 1-2 year window with high $ to be paid that could cost them their jobs by the end of the 2nd year as opposed to a QB at #2 that they will have 4 years with at like 10-15M(and that extra 10M+ helps get more FAs) a year?. And you may not get as much as the trade down, but the scenario I just mentioned could get a 2nd rounder and mid rounder for a Darnold trade even getting those picks in the 2021 draft. Lets all be honest, if ut were our jobs on the line we would take the QB deal at #2 to buy yourself the 4 years and not hitch to possibly being ut f work in 2 years considering the body of work we have seen from Darnold and that his ceiling just may not be that high.

Because they don't love any of the QBs coming out any more than Darnold, and don't want to tie themselves to a QB that they don't love for the next three/four years. 

Going with Darnold/vet backup for the year allows them to get maximum value for that #2 pick via a trade down, potentially accumulating extra firsts in 2022 & 2023, and adding extra picks immediately to put the team together. If Darnold doesn't work out, they don't have to pay him or hold onto him beyond this year, and they could approach the 2022 draft with five first round picks over their next two drafts, which is a ton of firepower should they be looking to trade into a position for a QB next year. If Darnold has some sort of miraculous turnaround, paying him won't bother anyone. 

If they go with a rookie and the rookie isn't good, it sets everything back. The #2 was wasted, they still need a QB, and the first year of the program probably isn't promising. They can hope Darnold fulfills his potential, hedge their bets with a competent QB to back him up, and have a first year that serves as a true foundation. 

I'm not saying this is the way it should or will go, only that the logic behind it definitely has merit. 

• Upvote 2

I am not in favour of picking and oline at #2

I am in favour of trading down and picking oline at 23, or 34 or any 2nd or 3rd rounders we get in a trade down deal.

DBrick at 6 and Mangold at 30 was perhaps the jets best 1st round ever and set up the team for 10 years on the oline

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, 32EBoozer said:

Robinson is not coming to the Jets.  He has spent his entire career with bad QBs - Bortles and Trubisky. He's going to use free agency to pick a team with a good established QB.  He's not going to use his one chance to pick where he goes to come to another team with QB issues and uncertainty- and that includes keeping Darnold or drafting a QB.  He'll get his money from some team with a good QB.  

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Untouchable said:

I mostly agree

But it’s clear that Saleh HIGHLY values edgerushers in his defense above all else.

Over the last two years the 49ers drafted Bosa #2 overall in addition to trading a 2nd round pick for Dee Ford and giving him a $90 million contract.

If someone like Rousseau or Ojulari is there at #23, I can see Douglas pulling the trigger.

If there were a Bosa in the draft this year, that would the pick at 2.  There isn't.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

Robinson is not coming to the Jets.  He has spent his entire career with bad QBs - Bortles and Trubisky. He's going to use free agency to pick a team with a good established QB.  He's not going to use his one chance to pick where he goes to come to another team with QB issues and uncertainty- and that includes keeping Darnold or drafting a QB.  He'll get his money from some team with a good QB.  

Team Cap 
Space
Effective Cap 
Space 
ℹ️
# Active 
Cap Spending
Dead 
Money
Jaguars $73,369,558 $73,369,558 62 $123,333,344 $3,083,098
Jets $70,688,706 $67,388,706 46 $117,134,218 $15,677,076
Colts $65,785,217 $65,785,217 62 $118,942,640 $237,143
Patriots $58,999,418 $58,999,418 51 $137,321,181 $799,401
Washington $43,525,860 $42,205,860 49 $150,070,043

Jags- No QB

Jets- No QB

Colts- Aging Rivers

Pats- No QB

WFT- No QB

Ok, where exactly will he be signing that huge contract? Jets have a good shot of landing him if they don’t penny pinch.

3 hours ago, Irish Jet said:

The Jets neglected the line for 15 years. That’s how you end up consistently producing bottom 5 offences. 

Sewell is the best player in this draft. The Jets need elite players and you can never have enough of them on the offensive line.

Build that wall. Dominate.

Alex Leatherwood.

Trey Smith.

Liam Eichenberg.

All 3 will be available on Day 2, and would be massive upgrades at RT.

Bring in Thuney or Scherff, and keep Elflein at OG, and McGovern at Center. Fant as swing tackle back up/extra lineman. That would be an excellent line, imo. 

Drafting a first round OT the year after drafting one is silly. LT is settled, that's the most important piece. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

8 minutes ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

If there were a Bosa in the draft this year, that would the pick at 2.  There isn't.

True, but there is still a decent group slated to go mid-late 1st.

I highly doubt that Saleh will be satisfied with Tarell Basham and Bryce Huff playing the edge.

And I don’t see Douglas paying $16+ million a year for a 1 year wonder like Shaq Barrett, splurging on a nearly 30 year old Matt Judon, etc.

37 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

I am no in favour of picking and oline at #2

I am in favour of trading down and picking oline at 23, or 34 or any 2nd or 3rd rounders we get in a trade down deal.

DBrick at 6 and Mangold at 30 was perhaps the jets best 1st round ever and set up the team for 10 years on the oline

From say picks 10-40, there seem to be a lot of quality offensive lineman in this draft, both tackles and interior players. I've also read a few people on this board claiming there are quality developmental tackles in the mid rounds as well.

I can't deny this guy looks like a beast:

None of these dudes have been tested yet, so we all know things will change. But I think I'd rather take one of the elite receivers early, even if we couldn't find a trade down partner. 

But, if Sewell ends up a freak and the two Bama receivers and Chase test rather pedestrian, I'm willing to draft the freak.

Spare me the “best player in the draft” garbage. How often does a player enter the season ranked #1 in his position only to have a mediocre year and fall as a prospect? Literally every year. Sewell skipping a year is a huge issue and makes him undraftable at 2. He wouldn’t be worth the pick for this team regardless but I digress.

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

10 hours ago, doitny said:

Miami..2-7....3-12

Tenn... 2-6....4-11

Ind... 2-3.....3-7

Detroit...2-5.....4-10

It’s not a “waste” of a pick of he’s a difference maker

2 minutes ago, QB1 said:

Spare me the “best player in the draft” garbage. How often does a player enter the season ranked #1 in his position only to have a mediocre year and fall as a prospect? Literally every year. Sewell skipping a year is a huge issue and makes him undraftable at 2. He wouldn’t be worth the pick for this team regardless but I digress.

For both he and Chase, opting out was the right move.

• They both already have enough of a resume that they're guaranteed first rounders, if not top 10 players - only injury could've hurt their stock
  • Both Oregon and LSU lost their elite quarterbacks to the NFL - so their programs were not going to be championship competitive

It was a good business move, the smart play and I don't think they should be criticized at all for it. Granted, if they got fat and lazy for a year while opting out, we can absolutely hold that against them.

Otherwise, I don't care at all. 

1 hour ago, Beerfish said:

* * DBrick at 6 and Mangold at 30 was perhaps the jets best 1st round ever and set up the team for 10 years on the oline.

* *  which is one of the reasons why i'm hopin'  we take the OT with our #2 pick in the first round of this draft  ?