2021 NY JETS/NFL FREE AGENCY DRAFT TRADES RUMORS HAPPENINGS ***

9 minutes ago, Jets723 said:

Agreed.  I don’t care how good of a QB you are if you have nothing around you you aren’t going anywhere.  Look at the Texans this past season with Watson.  Why not just draft a QB then use all the extra picks to build around him seems like a better plan

I wouldn't give up more than 2 #1's. And throw in Darnold. That's at least a #2. No way I'm also giving them QW. Cant believe he's turned it around.  Was all for getting rid of him last year but he's become a force. That would be ANOTHER #1, So we were 2-14 w/o Watson and Texans, with Watson, were 4-12.  Why would Watson want to come here when he can go to a Miami team that was 10-6 and light years ahead of us in their rebuild. 

9 minutes ago, Mike135 said:

I'm saying the Jets had 68 million in cap space after Maye.

(Roughly)

Lawson: 15 mil.

Davis1: 5.5 mil.

Davis2: 13 mil.

That special teamer:  ? 3mil?

Rookies:  12.5 mil.

68 - 15 - 5.5 - 13 - 3 - 12.5 = 19 million free

Actually lower than I thought.

ok now cut Crowder, Lewis, Fant, Ryan Griffin etc 

the Johnsons are always going to get their 10+ mil of cream off the top 

the last time they didn't was about 10 years ago when the team actually competed for the playoffs

everyone focuses on how bad the draft picks were, and fair enough, but it's also been a chronically underfunded roster for some time 

"starving the beast" 

1 minute ago, Mogglez said:

Exactly. I’m not trading 4 f*cking first for a player who has said that he will never play another down for the team that currently has him on their roster.

Also, I think it’s abundantly clear that Jamal netted us more than what he is actually worth.  Why in the WORLD would you throw that away when the other team has zero leverage in negotiations.

As someone who LOVES Watson and dreams of logging into JN to see that he has become a Jet, I can't disagree. 

Offering 4 firsts is way too much, especially considering that one of them is #2 overall - which equates to any QB not named Lawrence on a team-friendly, rookie deal. 

The other thing is, the Texans are clearly going to have to trade him (regardless of their posturing) and they would be insane to not do it before the draft.  I don't see the Texans having any leverage. 

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

Exactly. I’m not trading 4 f*cking first for a player who has said that he will never play another down for the team that currently has him on their roster.

Also, I think it’s abundantly clear that Jamal netted us more than what he is actually worth.  Why in the WORLD would you throw that away when the other team has zero leverage in negotiations.

12AA0549-3D7F-4CFC-B988-79B769BADDD4.gif.3a5f217659ba3076b99c8947488624f8.gif

• Sympathy 1

Just now, RogerVick1980 said:

This is why you don’t trade down for more picks and wait on  a QB

Stretch to say the least. You telling me that Joe Douglas was scouting Zach Wilson like a motherfcker in 2019?.... yeaaa no. Sure for guys like TL, or Sam or such... but child please. 

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

2 minutes ago, bitonti said:

ok now cut Crowder, Lewis, Fant, Ryan Griffin etc 

the Johnsons are always going to get their 10+ mil of cream off the top 

the last time they didn't was about 10 years ago when the team actually competed for the playoffs

everyone focuses on how bad the draft picks were, and fair enough, but it's also been a chronically underfunded roster for some time 

"starving the beast" 

Oh yeah of course they can make more cuts or restructures, but as things stand right now, Joe has roughly 19 million free to play with in free agency.

Not that crazy 50 mil number being tweeted.

Hell, if they trade 1sts for Watson, that lowers rookie cap space a bunch too.  Plus saving $ for trading Sam.

51 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

Four 1st round picks including the #2 (which is like two 1st round picks itself)???

go away gtfo GIF

Actually the #2 is worth 2600 points. Miami's 1st #18 is worth 900 so that #2 is equivalent to THREE #18 1st round picks.  Hey Texans Go Suck A Big One.  

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Mike135 said:

Oh yeah of course they can make more cuts or restructures, but as things stand right now, Joe has roughly 19 million free to play with in free agency.

Not that crazy 50 mil number being tweeted.

Hell, if they trade 1sts for Watson, that lowers rookie cap space a bunch too.  Plus saving $ for trading Sam.

CJ mosely trade incoming 

he's their highest paid player btw i'm sure that cap will have some dead space but that's not the same as roster spend 

cap numbers aside the real factual number is what type of check does Woody have to cut 

Deshaun Watson is a 30+ mil per year player

Even if JD wanted to use the draft capital (he doesn't), Woody would have a crap attack at paying one player that much money 

that's like, 2 million dollars every game 

we can say hey they almost paid Kirk Cousins but the reality is the Jets have never paid any player more than 20 mil to say very casually they'd be cool with 30+ mil watson (and more extensions/restructures after that) is a spicy meatball 

too spicy for the Johnsons

Jets fans dreaming about Watson are not even talking about how expensive he is 

• WTF? 1

3 minutes ago, Wonderboy said:

Actually the #2 is worth 2600 points. Miami's 1st #18 is worth 900 so that #2 is equivalent to THREE #18 1st round picks.  Hey Texans Go Suck A Big One.  

ive seen this logic before it's not exact science 

for example 2 is worth 2600, 32 is worth 590 that doesn't mean 2 is worth 4 and a half first rounders. 

2 is worth more than 18 but that high choice is also offset in attractiveness by the 20+ million that player is due no matter what 

17 minutes ago, Paradis said:

lol mormon timberlake... hey there's nothing wrong with wanting him and being OK with paying 4 first round picks. As a fan, that's an opinion you're welcome to have... I personally couldn't think of a more reckless desperate move. I think the reality is more aligned with my assessment than the grieving fan who is tired of waiting. I get it, but yea...

I think it's reckless to treat the QB position as if it isn't considerably more important than Defensive Tackle or Tight End ;)

If Deshaun was not available, I'd be all for taking a QB at #2. It's literally the only chance you have at landing a good one.

But this notion that we can roll with Sam, and take someone next year if he doesn't pan out, is flawed. What if they go 6-10 or 7-9? Then we're in no-man's-land, trying to convince ourselves that next year's version of Mac Jones or Kyle Trask is the guy.

We have to take a QB now. A sure thing is available. You don't pass on that when you have more ammo than anyone else to get him.

1 minute ago, bitonti said:

CJ mosely trade incoming 

he's their highest paid player btw i'm sure that cap will have some dead space but that's not the same as roster spend 

cap numbers aside the real factual number is what type of check does Woody have to cut 

Deshaun Watson is a 30+ mil per year player

Even if JD wanted to use the draft capital (he doesn't), Woody would have a crap attack at paying one player that much money 

that's like, 2 million dollars every game 

we can say hey they almost paid Kirk Cousins but the reality is the Jets have never paid any player more than 20 mil to say very casually they'd be cool with 30+ mil watson (and more extensions/restructures after that) is a spicy meatball 

too spicy for the Johnsons

Jets fans dreaming about Watson are not even talking about how expensive he is 

Watson only counts as 10mil against the cap in 2021.

But the point I'm trying to make is that 50 million number is BS.

Cap space right now is 19 million.

8 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

As someone who LOVES Watson and dreams of logging into JN to see that he has become a Jet, I can't disagree. 

Offering 4 firsts is way too much, especially considering that one of them is #2 overall - which equates to any QB not named Lawrence on a team-friendly, rookie deal. 

The other thing is, the Texans are clearly going to have to trade him (regardless of their posturing) and they would be insane to not do it before the draft.  I don't see the Texans having any leverage. 

All the more reason for JD to sign Golladay or Fuller in addition to some OL like Hudson cut fropm Oakland!! Players need to be in place to have Watson hit the ground running.

6 minutes ago, Paradis said:

Stretch to say the least. You telling me that Joe Douglas was scouting Zach Wilson like a motherfcker in 2019?.... yeaaa no. Sure for guys like TL, or Sam or such... but child please. 

This is how scouting in professional sports work, colleges goto jr high school games etc. 

Just now, Mike135 said:

Watson only counts as 10mil against the cap in 2021.

But the point I'm trying to make is that 50 million number is BS.

Cap space right now is 19 million.

yes because he signed a mega deal in Sept 2020

the point i'm trying to make is that cap space is not the same as roster spend

looking at last year's cap they got over the floor by trading everyone and cutting bums that's not the same as investing in a roster and actually cutting checks

As for Watson he's a player that shot his way out of Houston and is due so much money that he'd earn a voice in how the franchise is run. That was his big issue the ownership and GM wasn't listening to him. the team that trades for him is just going to have to keep paying him and paying him forever 

that's nightmare fuel for the Johnsons 

2 minutes ago, bitonti said:

ive seen this logic before it's not exact science 

for example 2 is worth 2600, 32 is worth 590 that doesn't mean 2 is worth 4 and a half first rounders. 

2 is worth more than 18 but that high choice is also offset in attractiveness by the 20+ million that player is due no matter what 

So what you're saying is your 42k + positive posts are just more like 20k + positive? 

• Haha 2

10 minutes ago, RogerVick1980 said:

This is why you don’t trade down for more picks and wait on  a QB

Total BS, place Sam Howell on Clemson and they don't miss a beat. Plus he would definitely be the first or second overall pick this season. Had one of the best freshman seasons in ACC history and followed that up with a great sophomore campaign and will be great to critique him now that he has two great RBs leaving the university.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, bitonti said:

yes because he signed a mega deal in Sept 2020

the point i'm trying to make is that cap space is not the same as roster spend

looking at last year's cap they got over the floor by trading everyone and cutting bums that's not the same as investing in a roster and actually cutting checks

As for Watson he's a player that shot his way out of Houston and is due so much money that he'd earn a voice in how the franchise is run. That was his big issue the ownership and GM wasn't listening to him. the team that trades for him is just going to have to keep paying him and paying him forever 

that's nightmare fuel for the Johnsons 

I think his cap hits are reasonable after 2021.

Isn't Dak making like 40per?

Watson >>>>>>>> Dak

1 minute ago, sec101row23 said:

I’ve been saying the ‘22 QB class is poor for a while now.  It’s not a secret.  

It’s not credible because it severely hurts the narrative of why Darnold needs to return. We must bank on the longggggggg shot of Sam improving or a QB emerging next year/us having the opportunity to even obtain him. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

19 minutes ago, Mike135 said:

Based on this Crowder is as good as gone I believe (sadly).  Not so much a function his value or even what he costs, but more in relation to what the WR market looks like right now.  He simply looks expensive compared to some replacement options.  Still a chance he sticks I guess, but this looks tough.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, jetstream23 said:

Based on this Crowder is as good as gone I believe (sadly).  Not so much a function his value or even what he costs, but more in relation to what the WR market looks like right now.  He simply looks expensive compared to some replacement options.  Still a chance he sticks I guess, but this looks tough.

Yeah.  Maybe he'll see the same and re-do a deal?

Instead of hitting this bad WR market. 

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Mike135 said:

I think his cap hits are reasonable after 2021.

Isn't Dak making like 40per?

Watson >>>>>>>> Dak

His cap hits are north of 30 after this year and the deal is structured in such a way he's going to need to extended over and over to maintain cap health

the cheapest (and most Johnsonian) option is to pay Sam Darnold his 4.97 million, worry about this problem next year, or not at all 

because, again, it's not like the NFL pays teams by the win. 

Just now, Beerfish said:

Except that tweet is nonsense.  Almost every year guys who were not on the radar as top end QBs zoom up the boards and some fall flat. (See a guy like Matt Barkley)

I would say that no one at all had Zac Wilson as a #2 overall pick last year at this time.  Mac Jones was an after thought mid rounder.

Nest year at this time we will be talking about top end Qbs for this draft who were not thought of that much at all now.

But you’re left yet again trying to evaluate “one year wonders”.  Take a serious look at who could be draft eligible next year, it’s not good.  You’ll have Sam Howell and maybe JT Daniels if he even comes out.   I’m telling you, it’s not good. 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1