Kyle Rudolph released. (No mention of Bill Belichick being a scumbag)

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/30992195/minnesota-vikings-release-te-kyle-rudolph-10-seasons

MINNEAPOLIS -- The Minnesota Vikings have released veteran tight end Kyle Rudolph after 10 seasons, the team announced on Tuesday.

The move saves Minnesota $5.1 million against the salary cap for 2021. Rudolph, 31, will become a free agent for the first time in his NFL career.

The former second-round draft pick of the Vikings in 2011 issued a heartfelt goodbye in a story published by The Players' Tribune reflecting on his 10 seasons in Minnesota.

• Upvote 2

16 minutes ago, CanadienJetsFan said:

Man, the Vikings have been a train wreck ever since they paid Cousins all that money forcing them to sell away good players one at a time.

Who exactly have they sold off, diggs? If Darnold put up cousins numbers we would all be ecstatic.

• Upvote 2

39 minutes ago, freestater said:

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/30992195/minnesota-vikings-release-te-kyle-rudolph-10-seasons

MINNEAPOLIS -- The Minnesota Vikings have released veteran tight end Kyle Rudolph after 10 seasons, the team announced on Tuesday.

The move saves Minnesota $5.1 million against the salary cap for 2021. Rudolph, 31, will become a free agent for the first time in his NFL career.

The former second-round draft pick of the Vikings in 2011 issued a heartfelt goodbye in a story published by The Players' Tribune reflecting on his 10 seasons in Minnesota.

What’s the connection between Belichick and Rudolph?

• Sympathy 1

18 minutes ago, heymangold said:

Who exactly have they sold off, diggs? If Darnold put up cousins numbers we would all be ecstatic.

Unless Darnold went 17-16 with a loaded team. 

Then we'd be calling him the next Kirk Cousins.

1 hour ago, CanadienJetsFan said:

Man, the Vikings have been a train wreck ever since they paid Cousins all that money forcing them to sell away good players one at a time.

Huh???  Justin Jefferson is better then diggs.  Irv smith is better then kyle rudolph.

The vikings are making all the right moves.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, CanadienJetsFan said:

This was such a predictable trend as soon as they signed that scumbag Cousins. Only so much money to go around. And what has it gotten them ? LMAO. I still hate the way Cousins made that video with his wife as to how they played the Jets. It's one thing to try to get more $$ but to make a video of it ? Lost all respect for Cousins right there. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Thai Jet said:

This was such a predictable trend as soon as they signed that scumbag Cousins. Only so much money to go around. And what has it gotten them ? LMAO. I still hate the way Cousins made that video with his wife as to how they played the Jets. It's one thing to try to get more $$ but to make a video of it ? Lost all respect for Cousins right there. 

Yes, it was cousin’s fault that Minnesotas d couldnt stop a nosebleed last year.

The amount of hate this guy gets is unreal.  

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Yes, it was cousin’s fault that Minnesotas d couldnt stop a nosebleed last year.

The amount of hate this guy gets is unreal.  

It’s the same with Dak.  I get cousins burned us, but he’s a solid starting qb, light years better then anything we’ve had here.  Dak gets hate simply because he plays for the Cowboys.

• Upvote 1

Just now, heymangold said:

Still, no one has answered who the Vikings have dealt off.  I know of Diggs.  Cook is a top 3 RB and Thielen/Jefferson is pretty good.  It’s mainly the coaching on that team, it’s been brutal.

Irv smith will be a top 5 tight end in the league this year.  Hes awesome and now no vet in front of him.

• Upvote 1

Just now, heymangold said:

It’s the same with Dak.  I get cousins burned us, but he’s a solid starting qb, light years better then anything we’ve had here.  Dak gets hate simply because he plays for the Cowboys.

The diff is i think cousins knows who he is.  He knows hes good but not great.

Dak is the opposite.  Hes good but thinks hes great.

21 hours ago, freestater said:

Kyle  Rudolph  wouldn't be a bad pick

On 3/2/2021 at 8:35 PM, CanadienJetsFan said:

Yes I believe that Cousins contract forced them to do away with certain players who made them a good team. Wait until they have to pay Cook.

The difference between what Cousins got and what anyone imagines is his true value is dwarfed by the contract for

• Anthony Barr (a disastrous deal the Jets unintentionally avoided; didn't he take less from Minnesota or something?)
  • Or a pair of $10MM safeties

Never mind the results of drafting on a Maccagnan/Idzik level after round 1, and that pre-dates signing Cousins.

Diggs is a loss, for sure, but that trade yielded Jefferson, who is coming off a better season - at least statistically - than Diggs ever had for Minnesota, did it with a covid-abbreviated rookie camp & no preseason games, and is making a fraction of what Diggs would have cost to extend. 

That team's personnel problem is its defense, not the loss of Stefon Diggs because a Cousins contract paid $30MM instead of an imagined $24MM/year deal.

On 3/2/2021 at 7:45 PM, Beerfish said:

Last 3 years:

Watson 12,480 yds, 85 tds, 28 ints

Cousins 12,166 yds, 91 tds, 29 ints

I wonder what that would look like if they swapped teams. Do you think it’d be the same?

32 minutes ago, DJF71 said:

Watson is a winner and a leader. Cousins is not and never has been.

There really is very small body of evidence to support this in the NFL.

As well as their stats being almost equal their win loss record is almost dead equal as well.

Watson like cousins racked up some nice numbers last year on a 4 win team.

He is apparently not a winner if the team is not good.

Thus the idea that trading away a boat load of picks on a bad team like the Jets gets you.....Watson racking up nice stats the team winning few games.

On 3/2/2021 at 8:35 PM, CanadienJetsFan said:

Yes I believe that Cousins contract forced them to do away with certain players who made them a good team. Wait until they have to pay Cook.

Yeah, wait until <checks notes> September 2020. Wonder what will happen after that

https://www.si.com/nfl/vikings/news/vikings-dalvin-cook-agree-four-year-63-million-contract-extension

I admittedly don't focus on Rudolph's play with any regularity, so I don't know how much his numbers dropping is age and how much is just that the team's had a pair of #1 WRs for years now, plus they're pretty happy with Irv Smith Jr. who costs nothing right now.

Past 3 years combined he's had 1 drop with a cumulative catch rate of almost 80%. Some TEs are productive into their mid-30s since their game isn't predicated on 4.4 speed. Don't know if he'll be one of those, and he turns 32 in November not 35, but it'd be nice to have a set of hands this reliable. He did miss the last 4 games of 2020 with a foot or ankle injury, but until then he was on a streak of 92 straight starts from 2015-2020. 

Might depend on how much they're seriously targeting Pitts, I guess (and if Rudolph even wants to come here). But if he could be had in the $7MM range or less he'd be a worthwhile upgrade over the same-aged Griffin at $2.5MM (I think the team's locked into $450K of Griffin's salary no matter what, since I can't imagine anyone giving up even a conditional 7th in 2023 for him). If they did sign him, and then still drafted Pitts, I'm sure they could get a pick or player for Herndon. 

• Upvote 1