why the fields hate

I admittedly don’t watch much college football so my exposure to and opinions of college players is limited - I did however see Ohio State v Clemson and Fields looked awesome - in the Championship game he looked mediocre at best - can the naysayers help me understand why he’s a bad choice at 2 if we keep the pick and jettison Darnold?

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

• Sympathy 1

8 minutes ago, New York Mick said:

Not sure. People are down on him but jerking off mighty mouse

I'm not as thrilled as most on him either. Big ******* gamble betting on one year of high quality production. I don't see anything I like with Fields and I'm an idiot but when I see something on tape I hate I'm usually right

To answer the OP's question -- I don't think anyone "hates" him, but i also don't think anyone consciously knows why its become popular to be disenfranchised with Fields. Have you ever read Gladwell's tipping point? It explores how social phenomenon's happen - how things essentially go viral in life. 

Anyway, happens all the time in the draft. It's like the opposite of FOMO in the investment world. 

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

I think I can explain it a little. Greg Cossell made a point that talent evaluators at the QB position look for 2 things:

Skills and traits.

Skills are things like accuracy, placement, release, timing football knowledge. etc.

Traits are things like height/weight, speed, arm strength, quickness, etc

Some evaluators prefer QBs with better traits because they tend to have a higher ceiling

Some evaluators prefer QBs with better skills that can translate to the NFL level

Obviously every QB is a combination of these two things.

I think what has happened is that if you are comparing Wilson and Fields, Wilson is farther ahead in skills, than Fields is ahead of Wilson in traits. Does not mean people are hating Fields.

FWIW I think that JD is more of a traits guy and might prefer Fields, but Saleh and LaFleur are tied to a specific offensive system which Wilson is better suited for so they will likely be really pro Wilson.

I guess I am in the skills camp. I am not a big traits guy.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 2

49 minutes ago, ncjetman said:

I admittedly don’t watch much college football so my exposure to and opinions of college players is limited - I did however see Ohio State v Clemson and Fields looked awesome - in the Championship game he looked mediocre at best - can the naysayers help me understand why he’s a bad choice at 2 if we keep the pick and jettison Darnold?

You must have somehow missed the Alabama game. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

38 minutes ago, Paradis said:

honestly, the board needs more ppl like you... we take this/ourselves seriously wayyyy to often. Myself included. 

It's a fcking forum, chill bill. 

Glad you appreciate it

I let whatever is on my mind flow. I'm an open book and Max has been nice enough to not to ban me(one hiccup this last week that was my fault). I learned not to take myself seriously years ago

I never intentionally say anything to upset anyone, I got no hate for anybody. I'd rather laugh at myself than attack any individual for real here.  It's tough though given my nature these days and people being all sensitive about everything

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, ncjetman said:

My take is that Fields had ALL DAY to throw at Ohio State.  He'll have half the amount of time with the Jets.  People are skeptical he'll be able to make those throws with so little time.

I don’t hate Fields at all. I just see him as QB3 and we have the 2nd pick in the draft. Would I be actively mad if he’s a jet? No.

But Would I be happy? Well, no. No, not really . That doesn’t mean I hate the guy. I just like a couple of other QB more

• Upvote 2

9 hours ago, ncjetman said:

Because beating Troy and Louisiana  Tech is now all the rage.  

9 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

Chris Simms has no right to criticize any QB he was a bum. 

this is a stupid sentiemnt. so because he didn't have the physical ability to play trhe position at a really high level that means he can't evaluate players at the position? his evaluations have mostly been uncannily accurate. 

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

2 minutes ago, The Count of Monte Cristo said:

Elaborate

what's not to understand? both had gaudy numbers at ohio state. haskins already has proven to be a bust.....the comparison is saying fields will likely do the same since it's the system and surrounding talent that has these guys putting up these numbers and not the dominance of the player themselves

• Upvote 1