Mark Sanchez wants Darnold off the Jets to save his life like the Saigon Airlift

Just now, oatmeal said:

This

i don’t understand how this is so hard for some to understand. 

Sam is really likeable.  Sam was a really hyped up supposedly "elite" prospect.  We gave up like half a draft-worth of pick value to get Sam. People were literally creaming themselves when they announced his name. Sam has been completely unsupported by this organization, multiple horrible coaches, poor assistants, poor systems, poor supporting players.  And it's only Sam's 4th year, he's not even 25 yet.

That's a tough pill to swallow, even for a cynic and Sam doubter like me.  I WANTED Sam to be great, even though I didn't want to draft him, didn't want to trade all those picks for him, etc.

So I get it, Some Fans are gonna have a hard time with it.

• Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 2

26 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Sanchez is right, for the record.  If I were Sam or Sam's agent, I'd have asked to be traded. 

Good news everybody! Sam's Agent is also JD's agent, is also Gase's agent! 

3 minutes ago, oatmeal said:

This

i don’t understand how this is so hard for some to understand. 

because Wilson/Fields ending his rookie season on IR is a more likely scenario than any one rookie player saving the New York Jets 

33 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Yes, with a two year window.  You can't maintain those types of teams long term.  The only way to continually be competitive is to have a top flight QB.

Yes correct.  To win it all you need both.  If you have a bad team and great QB you win 4 games.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, The Crusher said:

You spoke ill of the second best QB in NY Jets  history.  Go get a Snickers and come back to try again. 

Mark doesn't have an unkind bone in his entire body.  Darnold or his agent put him up to it.  That's who I'm mad at.

SAR I

• Thumb Down 1
  • Sympathy 1

Maybe if you like Sam and are rooting for him to succeed the right thing is to let him go.

He'd have to come into the season guns blazing moving the chains no INTs to avoid the wrath of the fanbase - and he's a known slow starter so this is very unlikely - he can't mentally handle what's likely to happen here.

Setting him free might be the most humane thing to do.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

2 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Mark doesn't have an unkind bone in his entire body.  Darnold or his agent put him up to it.  That's who I'm mad at.

SAR I

Sanchez has been saying that for months. Please. You of all people should have the utmost respect fir Sam. He never once threw your hero Gase under the bus, when he could have, literally dozens of times

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

13 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Counter Argument: 

If he retains Sam for 2021 and the Jets go 4-12, and then the Jets go say 6-10 in 2021, he will be fired.

6-year deal or no 6-year deal.

There is no such thing as a "safe job" in the NFL.  Super Bowl winners get fired two years after they won in this league.  Perennial losers (and that is all JD is so far) do not get to live out 6-year deals if they're teams are horrible the first four years of his tenure.

The money is borderline irrelevant to an NFL Owner.  

Counter argument to your counter argument:

"If" is a big word.  If Joe Douglas is worried about "if", then he shouldn't be the GM.  He should do what he thinks is in the best interest of the team, and the way to determine that is by speaking with the coaches that he hired, and the brain trust of the people in Florham Park.  

I personally don't believe for a second that Joe Douglas is saying or thinking that "if" this turns out wrong, then I will be fired.  I believe he is thinking that after his thoughts and the thoughts of the people he trusts, he will make the decision that gives the Jets the best chance of getting to the next level, with the ultimate goal of getting to the Super Bowl. 

Maccagnan worried about his job, and made decisions that he thought were "safe".  That is why he was a garbage GM, and why Joe Douglas is now in charge.

8 minutes ago, SAR I said:

SAR I

Ok good, told you, you needed a Snickers. I appreciate you identifying the problem and dealing with it. Board can learn a lot from you. 

• Sympathy 1

15 minutes ago, genot said:

Sanchez has been saying that for months. Please. You of all people should have the utmost respect fir Sam. He never once threw your hero Gase under the bus, when he could have, literally dozens of times

I have no respect for current players who beg for contracts or try to weasel their way out of town.  I have the utmost respect for Sam as a person, but when it comes to Sam the businessman, how about we offer him $60,000,000 if he becomes a Top 10 quarterback and he agrees to give back the $30,000,000 he stole from us if he doesn't?  

SAR I

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, JazzyJet said:

Maybe if you like Sam and are rooting for him to succeed the right thing is to let him go.

He'd have to come into the season guns blazing moving the chains no INTs to avoid the wrath of the fanbase - and he's a known slow starter so this is very unlikely - he can't mentally handle what's likely to happen here.

Setting him free might be the most humane thing to do.

Trash players get booed and roasted in professional sports, these dudes get paid royalty so I could careless. 

• Upvote 1

I have no respect for current players who beg for contracts or try to weasel their way out of town.  I have the utmost respect for Sam as a person, but when it comes to Sam the businessman, how about we offer him $60,000,000 if he becomes a Top 10 quarterback and he agrees to give back the $30,000,000 he stole from us if he doesn't?  

SAR I

You have no knowledge whatsoever that Sanchez or anyone else is speaking on Sam's behalf.

6 minutes ago, SAR I said:

SAR I

If "Sam the businessman" did what you suggest, then I would classify Sam Darnold as a "terrible businessman".   Only an idiot businessman would do what you suggest.

Mark is right. Another seemingly nice dude from USC who might have sucked anyway, but God dam did we put in overtime to ruin whatever potential they might have had with us. Mark I never thought really had any potential, but my God. Who thought it was a good Idea to surround him with Santonio, Plax who Rex picked up from jail and Derrick Mason who the Ravens wanted to drop off at jail?

Edit: and I hung out with Sanchez out one night. Friend of a celebrity friend he ran with(Hayden whatever her last name is. I wasn't going to say it but I found her to be rude and self important anyway. Granted she propbably felt the same about me in our handful of interactions). He's really that nice and shy. He had less confidence than me though as the QB of the NY Jets. He was sitting on a couch and asked if he should talk to some chick. I said "Dude you're the starting QB of the NY Jets, yes" If i picked up on it drunk youd think managment would realize its a bad idea to surround him with sociopaths 

• Post of the Week 1

26 minutes ago, genot said:

Darnold’s character is not under review.  The puzzling thing with the world’s ongoing evaluation of him is that despite whatever he does or doesn’t do on the field, nearly every mistake or flaw is attributed to the jets, rather than to him.  

I think there’s a higher probability that a rook like wilson comes here with (hopefully) a revamped offense and looks good, than it is that darnold stays and begins to turn his career around as a jet.

• Upvote 1

My favorite part of this thread is the volume of posts where people say "JD has to do this" or "JD has to do that" where this <> that but both sides are equally certain of their position.  

Reminds me of when my kids would say "you have to give me that cookie".  I suspect JD is about as concerned about the opinions here (wrapped as immutable facts) as I was back then.

He's going to do what he deems best, whether for him or the Jets.  He doesn't HAVE to do anything particular.  If he keeps Sam, drafts Fields, drafts Wilson, trades for Watson, or says "I'm rich as f-k so I'm going to DisneyWorld" we'll deal with it like we always do.  There is nobody on this board, including me, whose opinion I think is more informed than JD so whatever he does, even if he does draft Wilson which I loathe the thought of, I'm on board.

Setting up so you can tell the world how dumb JD is because he didn't do what you think he should is like a blood sport here.  That's all good, if a little tiresome.  But telling the world how dumb JD is because he hasn't done it on your timetable though?  That's just dumb.  

Man, that felt good.

3 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

Darnold’s character is not under review.  The puzzling thing with the world’s ongoing evaluation of him is that despite whatever he does or doesn’t do on the field, nearly every mistake or flaw is attributed to the jets, rather than to him.  

I think there’s a higher probability that a rook like wilson comes here with (hopefully) a revamped offense and looks good, than it is that darnold stays and begins to turn his career around as a jet.

I was responding to Sar. Suggesting Darnold is having that wonderful man Sanchez, do his dirty work for him. 

59 minutes ago, Warfish said:

I hate it that people make decisions based on selfish self-interest, but in this case, it's kinda obvious.  It would take stones of pure adamantium for JD to keep Sam as the #1 QB and not draft any QB in 2021.

I agree with this 100%!

I truly believe that the only way Sam should come back is if the Jets STILL draft a QB and let that QB sit and learn the system behind Darnold.

Why?

Because the Jets may not be that sexy next year in the beginning and Jets fans are brutal; let Darnold take that heat for approximately 5 Million and bring in say Wilson.  Sitting isn't a bad thing if a guy is the real deal.

But that maybe impossible in the New York market.

1 minute ago, genot said:

I was responding to Sar. Suggesting Darnold is having that wonderful man Sanchez, do his dirty work for him. 

I think alums stick up for each other and Sanchez knows what it’s like when you don’t have pieces on offense on the jets and you have to do more yourself.  They’re buds.  

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, nycdan said:

the opinions (wrapped as immutable facts) .

Isn't this what American culture is today, though? Everything is a night-or-day/black-or-white opinion expressed as an absolute statement that's setting itself up to be used as proof of being right in the future. There's no room for middle ground and no space to simply have an in-the-moment opinion. Specific to this board, it has become largely tiresome because of it. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

I think alums stick up for each other and Sanchez knows what it’s like when you don’t have pieces on offense on the jets and you have to do more yourself.  They’re buds.  

I don't think Sanchez is speaking under the direction of Darnold. Ehich is what was suggested. Im sure they're friendly with eachother because of the USC connection. Different kinds of people though. Don't you think.

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, Charlie Brown said:

I agree with this 100%!

I truly believe that the only way Sam should come back is if the Jets STILL draft a QB and let that QB sit and learn the system behind Darnold.

Why?

Because the Jets may not be that sexy next year in the beginning and Jets fans are brutal; let Darnold take that heat for approximately 5 Million and bring in say Wilson.  Sitting isn't a bad thing if a guy is the real deal.

But that maybe impossible in the New York market.

Darnold doesn't actually know the system.  Smarter to trade him and sign Nick Mullens who does know it.  

• Sympathy 1

38 minutes ago, Alka said:

If "Sam the businessman" did what you suggest, then I would classify Sam Darnold as a "terrible businessman".   Only an idiot businessman would do what you suggest.

My point is that no one, not Sam, not Mark, not you, no one should feel bad about Sam Darnold's precious feelings.  

That's what the $30M is for.

SAR I

6 minutes ago, SAR I said:

My point is that no one, not Sam, not Mark, not you, no one should feel bad about Sam Darnold's precious feelings.  

SAR I

Everyone, (including Sam) should feel bad that the organization that drafted him didn't have a plan to support him and his growth. Like every other organization in the league 

SAR I

How can you be so cynical?   Sam isn't a middle aged man with an expanding waist line who has learned to sooth his failure to accomplish his life dreams by wrapping himself in the standard faux leather seats of a new BMW every 3 years.  Sam has been working toward reaching his dream since he was 12 that he was headed to stardom as an NFL QB.  There isn't enough money, blow, scotch whiskey or wrecked classic Ferrari's that will rid him of the pain that he will never make it as an NFL QB at age 25. 

I'm 66 and still loosen up my arm by throwing slow curves against my guest carriage with the water view of the Long Island Sound in the hopes that I will hear the voice of Bob Sheppard saying coming in from the bullpen  "Biggs" ...

2 hours ago, Rhg1084 said:

Mark is absolutely correct. Can you imagine if Douglas brings Sam back and we start the year 1-4 or something like that and Sam still stinks? People would be calling for Douglas to be fired 

And this is why I believe Sam will be traded.

If we weren’t in a position to draft Wilson or Fields, then fine...running it back with Sam is what it is. You sell the upside and the bad roster+coaching that he received.

But we are able to draft them, and either one will be given a lot more patience than Sam will be.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

Sanchez is absolutely right. The pressure on Darnold to immediately be good will be off the charts. 

Yet another reason to move on from Sam sooner than later. 

Really unfair that anyone would expect a former 3rd overall pick that you trade 4 draft picks for to be good after 3 seasons, tbqh

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, TeddEY said:

Really unfair that anyone would expect a former 3rd overall pick that you trade 4 draft picks for to be good after 3 seasons, tbqh

Yeah, well you can't  judge Sam until he's 34 or we get to Alpha Centauri. Whichever happens last. 

• Haha 1

55 minutes ago, Biggs said:

Darnold doesn't actually know the system.  Smarter to trade him and sign Nick Mullens who does know it.  

Hmmm I hear what you are saying but the system under Mike LeFleur is essentially the same one that Jeremy Bates ran with Darnold in his rookie year where he looked like this against Green Bay......

Should we keep Darnold.???????    Probably not!!!!

But we should not pretend like some do that Darnold has never looked good at times......

Gase was a disgrace!

Oh and my current position is to Draft Zack Wilson.....

3 minutes ago, Charlie Brown said:

Hmmm I hear what you are saying but the system under Mike LeFleur is essentially the same one that Jeremy Bates ran with Darnold in his rookie year where he looked like this against Green Bay......

Should we keep Darnold.???????    Probably not!!!!

But we should not pretend like some do that Darnold has never looked good at times......

Gase was a disgrace!

You guys remember when Joey Harrington threw for 3 TDs to 1 INT with a 72% completion and a 114 rating?  Or when Kyle Boller threw 4 TDs and 0 INTs and a 112 rating?  Or when David Carr threw 3 TDs and 0 INTs for almost 400 yards and a 116 rating?

No?

Neither does anyone else.

• Upvote 1