Jets sign WR Corey Davis from Titans

1 minute ago, Warfish said:

Actually the only reason Davis was "as effective" as Evans, less oh about 8 TD's lol, is because opposing teams were busy worrying about Henry and Brown and Smith most of the time, giving Davis more opportunity against lesser players in coverage.  

The tried and true he only got his yards because no one covered him.  Because someone else was the man.  

Over the corse of a season, seasons, no one notice that 6-3 guy in uniform catching 100 yards in 5 games.  It was because of Smith.  The Brown, I assume you meant Brown, who had all of 100 more yards than Davis.  

• Upvote 4

Mike Moraitis 
February 9, 2021 11:00 am

The Tennessee Titans will have some tough decisions to make this offseason, whether that be with their own free agents, those available on the open market, and even with players who are under contract.

Among the biggest of those decisions will be what the team does with wide receiver Corey Davis, who will hit free agency for the first time in his career after the Titans declined his fifth-year option in 2020.

It’s easy to say now with hindsight being 20/20 that the Titans made a mistake in that regard, but at the time the move was made Davis had never really shown what you’d expect out of a No. 5 overall pick.

However, the Western Michigan product somewhat answered the bell in a contract year in 2020 by matching or topping his career-highs in receptions, receiving yards, touchdowns and 100-yard games.

Spotrac estimated the market value of Davis in free agency at a contract worth $9.8 million per season. Let’s take a look at the case for and against Tennessee re-signing Davis this offseason.

Is Davis truly a No. 1 receiver?

I’m afraid we still can’t say for sure, and we may never truly know the answer to that if Davis remains in a run-heavy offense like Tennessee’s that also features a top-shelf wideout like A.J. Brown.

What we do know is that Davis is a great Robin to the Titans’ Batman at the receiver position, and his ability to take pressure off Brown was a big key to success for Tennessee’s offense in 2020.

Not only does Davis have the ability to make teams pay for focusing extra attention on Brown, but he also proved he can produce No. 1 receiver-type numbers — albeit not consistently — when Brown is having an off game.

Perhaps the most endearing thing about Davis is his ability and willingness to block, and this is a player who has been a model citizen during his time with the Titans.

While Davis was moderately productive in his first playoff games during his rookie season, it has been tough sledding for him in Tennessee’s last four postseason games. The 26-year-old has totaled just six catches for 68 yards and one score in that span.

In this year’s playoffs, Davis failed to record a single catch on two targets and was unable to play on the final drive due to injury. His lack of production in playoff games is concerning for a team that expects to be there regularly.

Davis has pulled disappearing acts (or something close to it) plenty of times during his Nashville tenure, both in the regular season and playoffs, and we saw him struggle with drops last season.

We can talk about Davis’ potential all we want, but the fact of the matter is that after four years there’s more evidence to suggest he’s a solid No. 2 receiver rather than a player who can actually lead a receiving corps.

https://titanswire.usatoday.com/lists/tennessee-titans-corey-davis-nfl-free-agency-for-against/

1 hour ago, JiF said:

I'm hopeful for Mims, loved him predraft but that's a stretch.  We'll see 

And he was the like what, 14th WR off the board and it was pretty much luck that he was there.  And then that was it from a pass catcher perspective in a deep draft, no TE, no WR, no real WR option in FA not a serious attempt at RB.  Again, it's just how I see him treating the offense.  He prioritized a career underachiever, just like he was perfectly happy with Perriman over Anderson.  It might work, who knows but that seems to be his approach.

I dont know what he'll do in the draft but he doesnt strike me as someone that is going to prioritize the position with Mims, Davis and Crowder on the roster.  Could be wrong but I assume we're done there.  They just resigned Vyncent Smith too. 

WR, possibly he might think he's done there, especially given the system that is going to be run.  TE, definitely not.  I absolutely think he's going to target a TE in free agency or the draft.  Gerald Everett would be the top FA in my mind at the moment.  

• Upvote 1

I’m afraid we still can’t say for sure, and we may never truly know the answer to that if Davis remains in a run-heavy offense like Tennessee’s that also features a top-shelf wideout like A.J. Brown.

2 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Not only does Davis have the ability to make teams pay for focusing extra attention on Brown, but he also proved he can produce No. 1 receiver-type numbers

So a but hurt Tenn Titan beat writter kind of agrees, thanks.

7 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Mike Moraitis 
February 9, 2021 11:00 am

The Tennessee Titans will have some tough decisions to make this offseason, whether that be with their own free agents, those available on the open market, and even with players who are under contract.

Among the biggest of those decisions will be what the team does with wide receiver Corey Davis, who will hit free agency for the first time in his career after the Titans declined his fifth-year option in 2020.

It’s easy to say now with hindsight being 20/20 that the Titans made a mistake in that regard, but at the time the move was made Davis had never really shown what you’d expect out of a No. 5 overall pick.

However, the Western Michigan product somewhat answered the bell in a contract year in 2020 by matching or topping his career-highs in receptions, receiving yards, touchdowns and 100-yard games.

Spotrac estimated the market value of Davis in free agency at a contract worth $9.8 million per season. Let’s take a look at the case for and against Tennessee re-signing Davis this offseason.

Is Davis truly a No. 1 receiver?

What we do know is that Davis is a great Robin to the Titans’ Batman at the receiver position, and his ability to take pressure off Brown was a big key to success for Tennessee’s offense in 2020.

Not only does Davis have the ability to make teams pay for focusing extra attention on Brown, but he also proved he can produce No. 1 receiver-type numbers — albeit not consistently — when Brown is having an off game.

Perhaps the most endearing thing about Davis is his ability and willingness to block, and this is a player who has been a model citizen during his time with the Titans.

While Davis was moderately productive in his first playoff games during his rookie season, it has been tough sledding for him in Tennessee’s last four postseason games. The 26-year-old has totaled just six catches for 68 yards and one score in that span.

In this year’s playoffs, Davis failed to record a single catch on two targets and was unable to play on the final drive due to injury. His lack of production in playoff games is concerning for a team that expects to be there regularly.

Davis has pulled disappearing acts (or something close to it) plenty of times during his Nashville tenure, both in the regular season and playoffs, and we saw him struggle with drops last season.

We can talk about Davis’ potential all we want, but the fact of the matter is that after four years there’s more evidence to suggest he’s a solid No. 2 receiver rather than a player who can actually lead a receiving corps.

https://titanswire.usatoday.com/lists/tennessee-titans-corey-davis-nfl-free-agency-for-against/

Jets fans were saying the exact same thing about Robby Anderson before he departed. Now Jets fan worship him like some long-lost hero.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

So a but hurt Tenn Titan beat writter kind of agrees, thanks.

Why would he have been butt hurt before Davis left?

Also, nice selective reading, ignoring that Davis was unquestionably the #2 WR in Tenn. and the #3 weapon on Offense, but sure.

5 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Why would he have been butt hurt before Davis left?

Also, nice selective reading, ignoring that Davis was unquestionably the #2 WR in Tenn. and the #3 weapon on Offense, but sure.

Because the only reason hes gone, they need him, is over dollars 

And I've heard the opposite, that Davis was basically the #1 last season, point being its not so clear cut other than being a title.  Oh and being the #2 on one team doesnt mean that he will be the #2 on every team he goes to.  Davis is a great fit in the Shanahan/LaFleur offense

Comparing the RB is pointless.  Pretty much no one would be the #1 in Tenn in that case, the offense revolves around Henry and the ground game.

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Actually the only reason Davis was "as effective" as Evans, less oh about 8 TD's lol, is because opposing teams were busy worrying about Henry and Brown and Smith most of the time, giving Davis more opportunity against lesser players in coverage.  

But ok, you guys have clearly convinced yourself we're good at WR now.  So sure, lets see how it works out.  One of these seasons the hype/hope crowd has to be right about somebody, maybe this is your year.

not sure why you are discussing mike evans.  last i checked, he wasn't a free agent.  now if i had my choice, yeah, i'd take mike evans over corey davis.  but it seems you are making a disingenuous argument that davis put up big numbers because defenses were busy dealing with henry, brown and smith, while ignoring that evans benefitted by playing on a team loaded with skilled players (godwin, gronk, fournette, jones, miller, brate, etc...)

still waiting to find out which stud #1 WR the jets passed up on in free agency.  golladay and his balky hip is the only one who maybe fits that bill.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

1 minute ago, HawkeyeJet said:

4 Wrs had over 1200 yards and 95 catches last year.

Only 8 had over 1200 yards.

Go back the previous season and the number is even fewer.  Hardly any do it on a yearly basis.

That was essentially my point. Everyone wants a #1 WR but few actually put up the numbers people associate with that status.  Not coming at you with this response.

The NY Jets haven't had a decent WR since Marshall and Decker. 

Any QB needs decent WR's to succeed. 

13 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

Go back the previous season and the number is even fewer.  Hardly any do it on a yearly basis.

That was essentially my point. Everyone wants a #1 WR but few actually put up the numbers people associate with that status.  Not coming at you with this response.

I assume this equates to 4 sure as can be #1's.  What kinds of numbers do the other 28 #1's put up?  Not 1000 yards on 65 catches over 14 games?  

Projects to 1150?  That would or wouldnt make him a #1 on the other 28 teams?

27 minutes ago, jetblue95 said:

not sure why you are discussing mike evans.  last i checked, he wasn't a free agent.

Because someone raised him as comparison.  

now if i had my choice, yeah, i'd take mike evans over corey davis.

As would 100% of the NFL.

but it seems you are making a disingenuous argument that davis put up big numbers because defenses were busy dealing with henry, brown and smith, while ignoring that evans benefitted by playing on a team loaded with skilled players (godwin, gronk, fournette, jones, miller, brate, etc...)

Nothing disingenuous about it, and it's perfectly logical if you actually think about it for a while.  Davis, the #3 or #4 option in the Tenn. offensive system was a supporting player who faced off against opponents #2 CB or #3 CB most of the time, giving him more opportunity to produce.  Evans is a clear cut #1 who faced the opponents #1 cover corner most of the time, and for whom opposing Defenses focused their pass defense.  

Here, depending on other players picked up of course, we'll see if Davis can be the #1 and face the #1 CB and still produce. 

Maybe he can, who knows.  Or maybe Mims will rise up and be the #1, and Davis can comfortably be the 2nd or 3rd option again here like he was in Tenn.  We'll have to see.

still waiting to find out which stud #1 WR the jets passed up on in free agency.  golladay and his balky hip is the only one who maybe fits that bill.

Not sure why you're waiting.  There is no #1 in FA they skipped.  That's not the argument put forth.

The argument is that Davis is a not a #1 WR, cannot carry on Offense or pull double teams the way a #1 WR can, and that the Jets Offense needs a #1 WR if they are going to climb out of the basement they've been dwelling in for most of the past decade.

That is the entirety of my argument.  If you disagree, great.  We'll see how it works out, Davis is a Jet, soon he'll be catching passes, and we'll see how many catches and yards and TD's he scores in 2021.  

40 minutes ago, BroadwayRay said:

Jets fans were saying the exact same thing about Robby Anderson before he departed. Now Jets fan worship him like some long-lost hero.

Robbie Anderson went into a new system and averaged 94.3 yards per game in his first 4 games.  The more tape they had on him the less effective he became.  By the last 6 games of the season he disappeared.  

Davies numbers are highly skewed.  His production was up and down and he had one monster game against Cleveland.  Cleveland lead that game 38 to 7 at halftime.  He had some real good games and he had games where he was invisible.  The Cleveland game he had 183 yards.

I would say Crowder is still our No. 1 WR right now. 

2 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Not sure why you're waiting.  There is no #1 in FA they skipped.  That's not the argument put forth.

The argument is that Davis is a not a #1 WR, cannot carry on Offense the way a #1 WR can, and that the Jets Offense needs a #1 WR if they are going to climb out of the basement they've been dwelling in for most of the past decade.

That is the entirety of my argument.  If you disagree, great.  We'll see how it works out, Davis is a Jet, soon he'll be catching passes, and we'll see how many catches and yards and TD's he scores in 2021.  

so what is the solution? we agree there was no #1 in FA (i'm skeptical of golladay, but some may consider him a #1 based on past performance).  guys like davante adams, julio jones, tyreke hill, de'andre hopkins don't hit free agency and aren't available by trade often (no idea why houston would trade nuk, but that's a completely different discussion).

everyone agrees the jets needed to improve the WR corps.  davis makes the team better than they were on sunday.  i'm hopeful he is a player who finally is ready to break out, but more likely, he will not reach the true #1 status.    i think it was a solid addition, but as an avid fantasy football player, i'm not exactly rushing to add him to my team next year. 

not a particularly big fan of juju (who i think will get overpaid based on name value).  he's not a #1 and really has been pretty bad since AB left (gets some TDs, but big ben throws the ball a ton and they have no running game - kind of the opposite of tenn).  wouldn't mind also adding samuel, but he's achieved less in his career than davis.

so davis may not solve all the problems, but i think he can help.  it's easy to criticize.  but it's harder to come up with a realistic alternatives.  what exactly did you want the jets to do to address the lack of a #1 WR?

6 minutes ago, Biggs said:

Robbie Anderson went into a new system and averaged 94.3 yards per game in his first 4 games.  The more tape they had on him the less effective he became.  By the last 6 games of the season he disappeared.  

He also materially benefitted from the injury to Christian McCaffrey, as all the passes he'd usually get had to go to other receivers.

Still, to his credit, he performed better as Carolinas #2 WR than I expected.  Most of that is because he actually caught alot more balls than he usually would (Almost 70% catch rate in CAR vs. barely in the 50% zone here in NY) and was targeting close to 40 more times than he was here (again, part of that being the loss of McCaffrey as a receiver).   His yards per target was exactly the same as it was here, at 8.1  Same guy, more targets, he caught more of those targets.

31 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

Agree there are few consistently great WR.  No. 2 WR who put up close to a 1000 yards are all over the league.  Guys who come close once during their contract year where they had splits that were wildly inconsistent including big games in blow outs and games where they disappeared are a dime a dozen.  Perriman was a classic example the year before on TB.  

Robbie this year was hot as a pistol out of the gate in a new system with a competent QB.  He disappeared down the stretch because he's not a big time NFL WR.  Neither is Corey.  Nice player maybe but if you're basing your evaluation based on 5 games in a contract year I'd be at best cautiously optimistic.  I still say Crowder is probably the best WR on the team today.

He also materially benefitted from the injury to Christian McCaffrey, as all the passes he'd usually get had to go to other receivers.

Still, to his credit, he performed better as Carolinas #2 WR than I expected.  Most of that is because he actually caught alot more balls than he usually would (Almost 70% catch rate in CAR vs. barely in the 50% zone here in NY) and was targeting close to 40 more times than he was here (again, part of that being the loss of McCaffrey as a receiver).   His yards per target was exactly the same as it was here, at 8.1  Same guy, more targets.

He was trash down the stretch.  He was killing it in September and October and completely disappeared once teams had tape on him in their system.   His YPC in the second half went in the toilet.  

3 minutes ago, jetblue95 said:

so what is the solution?

Well, you can draft one if one is available (which we almost assuredly will not do), or we can go the "kill them with #2's" route of praying throwing enough 2nd tier guys against the wall might find two that produce enough to keep us competitive.

we agree there was no #1 in FA (i'm skeptical of golladay, but some may consider him a #1 based on past performance).

Agreed of Golladay, the injury issue would be a concern.

everyone agrees the jets needed to improve the WR corps.

Do they?  Maybe I'm reading a different forum, but it seems quite a few think we're good now, Davis #1, Mims, also a #1 (to some), Crowder in the slot.  

davis makes the team better than they were on sunday.

Agreed, and I believe I said that earlier.  Davis is an upgrade over Perriman.

i'm hopeful he is a player who finally is ready to break out, but more likely, he will not reach the true #1 status.

I'm very doubtful of a breakout, I fully expect his numbers to drop by 5-10% here.

i think it was a solid addition, but as an avid fantasy football player, i'm not exactly rushing to add him to my team next year. 

Lol, speaks volumes.  #1 WR's are generally popular on Fantasy Football teams, last I checked.

not a particularly big fan of juju (who i think will get overpaid based on name value).  he's not a #1 and really has been pretty bad since AB left (gets some TDs, but big ben throws the ball a ton and they have no running game - kind of the opposite of tenn).  wouldn't mind also adding samuel, but he's achieved less in his career than davis.

If we had to take Davis or JuJu, I prefer Davis.  But both are #2's, I'd argue (and have argued).

so davis may not solve all the problems, but i think he can help.

Fair.

it's easy to criticize.

but it's harder to come up with a realistic alternatives.  what exactly did you want the jets to do to address the lack of a #1 WR?

Every year we hear something similar, it's too hard, no one is available, excuse after excuse, and here we sit, the worst offense in the NFL over the last decade.

What I wanted the Jets to do was land two of the top O-linemen FA's more than anything.  No matter the cost, we had the cap to afford it.

What I wanted the Jets to do is not draft Wilson at #2 overall, because I don't think he's going to be good at the pro level fo rreasons already covered elsewhere. 

I wanted them to make a minor trade down (let someone else buy high on Wilson), get one of the top 3 WR's or the Tackle Sewell and take Mac Jones later in the first or (if he's gone) stick with Darnold one more year, since I don't have much faith in Wilson or Lance and doubt Fields drops far enough to still get him after we get the WR. 

And I'd want a top-tier RB prospect (maybe at the top of the 2nd) to take pressure off the QB.

i.e. I want to build a team around the QB, with talent, especially on the O-line most of all.  

i.e. almost everything I'd do, most fans wouldn't, lol.  

Who knows, I'm just tired of sucking on Offense, and Davis feels like a plug, not an answer, same kind of plugs we're always tossing in.

I sure hope this is the sign indicating the Jets are going all in with Sammy. Honestly, I think keeping Sammy and trading down from 2 is the best case scenario for the Jets. The Jets get great players in this draft and immediately become an upstart. Sammy gets a one year audition with a COMPETENT supporting cast. They will likely have 3 first round draft choices next year giving them more than enough ammunition to move up and take a young QB.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

What does what the left over of the contract have to do with who's paid more?  What does most of the years and the bonus already paid have to do with the Jets deal with Davis?  Other than to bitch about a Jet signing and stuff 

A. It was a joke. You're so sensitive over any potential criticism of the Jets that you can't see past the end of your own nose. 

B. The remainder on Diggs contract pays him less than Davis's new contract does. Like any FA deal that comes years after a previous deal. 

Good lord, man. 

22 hours ago, munchmemory said:

Great.  Another "oh, I guess that's good" signing.  How about a home run signing for once, JD?  Ah, fuk it.  With our roster and signings like this, JD'll be gone in a year or two anyway.  More time for naps.

giphy.gif

1 hour ago, jeremy2020 said:

A. It was a joke. You're so sensitive over any potential criticism of the Jets that you can't see past the end of your own nose. 

B. The remainder on Diggs contract pays him less than Davis's new contract does. Like any FA deal that comes years after a previous deal. 

Good lord, man. 

Call me stupid and the joke gets lost 

Call me stupid and I stop reading your inane posts

Call me stupid and I think you’re an internet dickhead. 

call me stupid and then rationalize your comments by saying Diggs only has two years left on his huge deal so in essence he’s paid less than Davis and I laugh at the logic 

• Post of the Week 1

1 hour ago, Jet Nut said:

Call me stupid and the joke gets lost 

Call me stupid and I stop reading your inane posts

Call me stupid and I think you’re an internet dickhead. 

call me stupid and then rationalize your comments by saying Diggs only has two years left on his huge deal so in essence he’s paid less than Davis and I laugh at the logic 

You can't even get the years right with the internet at your fingertips. What a joke. It may shock you, but you can be wrong and like most people, you frequently are.. 

3 hours ago, jeremy2020 said:

You can't even get the years right with the internet at your fingertips. What a joke. It may shock you, but you can be wrong and like most people, you frequently are.. 

I was throwing two years out as an example, you cant be serious.  Lol,  you won.  

A joke.  

Stupid

Silly 

I'm shocked.  

Bye.  

10 hours ago, Biggs said:

Davies numbers are highly skewed.  His production was up and down and he had one monster game against Cleveland.  Cleveland lead that game 38 to 7 at halftime.  He had some real good games and he had games where he was invisible.  The Cleveland game he had 183 yards.

I would say Crowder is still our No. 1 WR right now. 

Davis has been productive with Marcus Mariota- who is a bust that totally sucks 

Yeah I get it he didn’t have 1,500 yards 15 tds last season with Tannehill he’s a loser

• Upvote 1