Jets sign WR Corey Davis from Titans

I don't have a big issue with Davis, I honestly haven't seen him play much, if at all. The issue I have with this signing isn't Davis, it's more the fact that, after seeing JD for 2 off seasons, I'm VERY confident that Davis is more than likely JD's one and only move to address the WR position in FA. Seeing how strictly JD sticks to his ultra conservative valuation of what he will spend on a position, I think that he had around 25Mil as the guarantee he was willing to give a WR and quickly saw the other WRs were going to be well out of that price range. Does any one here REALLY see him giving out a Golladay or Ju-Ju level contract on top of this signing? I don't see that happening at all. 

Maybe there will be another low level, one year contract WR signed after cuts, but the people that are still holding their breath for a Samuel or Ju-Ju I think are in for another big disappointment 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

I'd still love JuJu but this is an awesome signing for our WR position. 

Corey Davis is a freakish talent as a former #5 overall pick (2017) and has excellent size @ 6'3/210 lbs. 

Not only that but he's 4 years developed heading into his 5th year. 

He had a breakout 2nd season recording 65 receptions for 891 receiving yards and 4 TD receptions. 

And last year within a run first Derrick Henry offense was able to record as a 4th year WR 60 receptions for 945 receiving yards and 5 TD receptions (despite only 10 starts/12 games). 

He's not the big name type of Allen Robinson/Chris Godwin/JuJu who I've dreamed about heading into FA but I've spent over an hour watching his game film and highlights and I'm super excited. He's big. He's really fast for his size. He's Physical. Awesome at slants. Great in run blocking and can get dowfield as a deep threat. 

Keep Jamison Crowder as our 5th WR. Draft a WR in the 2nd round (Marshall Jr). Sign JuJu. 

Give our QB (whoever he is) multiple WR options. 

JuJu Smith-Schuster. 

Denzel Mims.  

Terrace Marshall Jr. 

Corey Davis. 

Jamison Crowder.

No clear-cut true #1 WR. But those are 5 WRs, depending on down and distance; that you can utilize all around the field @ the WR position(s). 

Invest into our WR positions and our QB will have a chance to find open targets. 

Draft Najee Harris @ RB with our Seattle pick too. Give me an offense to be excited about. 

Agreed good signing.  I think we go OL with the Seattle puck though 

2 hours ago, football guy said:

After all the hoopla, Corey Davis was Joe Douglas’s top receiver available. Following him was JuJu Smith-Schuster, Kenny Golladay. 

Wouldn't totally rule out a double dip at WR, but I think there’s a better chance they double-dip at DE. 

hopefully with Henrickson then move on to the draft

4 hours ago, freestater said:

Wait...I'm confused. I thought not spending in free agency and waiting for Douglas to get better at drafting was the plan.

Anything Douglas was always the best course of action & changes what was the shrewd path all along.

Signing nobody = This was smart & part of the plan because signing others' FAs is stupid.

He signed Corey Davis unexpectedly = Douglas is great. This was smart & part of the plan because he's proven very good at signing others' FAs.

Lol

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Aussie Jet said:

If Douglas signed Davis expecting him to lead the wide receivers then I think he will be disappointed. Agree with this assessment completely (for what it's worth). Henry and Brown are the guys in the Titans offence. Davis flopped when he had to be the guy.

It's a decent signing but I hope Douglas doesn't think he's done improving the wide receivers position. And re-signing Perriman won't count.

Yeah, that offense is centered around those two, and it really opens up lanes.  In the two games that Brown missed, I think Davis had like an average of 5 catches for 52 Yards.  

I think for a No, 2 guy, he's a fine signing, because he blocks well and he gets open if the attention is away from him.  Reminds me a bit of Mohamad Sanu, a very good No. 2 if you have a true 1.  I'm not sure I'm ready to appoint Mims as 1.  However, if they sign Galloday/Samuel or add a high end guy in the draft, this is a very good signing because then he's not asked to be the No. 1 guy.  

4 hours ago, UnknownJetFan said:

Almost 1000 yards and 5 TDs last year on a team with a run heavy O. You sure you are thinking about the right guy?.

Yes.  

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Integrity28 said:

I’d still go after another WR via FA.

Even a 2nd tier guy, like John Brown or Tim Patrick. Guys that can play, and be roared with Mims and our rookie WR(s). 

I'm just glad he signed a WR who belongs on a football field instead a backup we're supposed to twist ourselves into pretzels to convince ourselves he's really a starter in disguise. The thought of going into 2021 with Mims and a rookie outside is a low-percentage roll of the dice.

At least now whatever WR(s) he drafts - or frankly, Mims - will have to beat out someone. Mims shouldn't get a free pass either. 

Now that Davis is signed I wouldn't mind also adding Perriman (or someone like those you mention). 

My guess is they're setting their sights on a TE more than another borderline-starter WR, though. Worst case scenario Davis + Mims + Crowder + day 1-2 pick WR is plenty strong enough without even considering whatever TE upgrade they do (hopefully not nothing). At the same time, they can afford the depth of another borderline starter, and whether it's Darnold or a different young QB, I'm tired of the excuses afforded to the position because his WRs were injured & there wasn't enough depth. 

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

I see a lot of Jerricho Cotchery and Quincy Enunwa in this kid when I watch his tape. 

I think he'll become one of our fan favorites. 

What a broken neck? - This guys a 2nd high 3rd receiver. If he was any good he’d still be with the Titans.

45-55 Catches 550-700 yards 2-5 TD’s

13-15 Games played. See how far I’m off.

I don’t really get it. He was a borderline top 5 FA WR IMO, but we prioritized him like he was the cream of the crop.

I’m wondering if there’s something about Golladay that we don’t know. WRs like him don’t just hit unrestricted free agency. They get franchised or they get traded because they’re a dickface. Plus, he missed almost all of last year with a mysterious injury. There are enough red flags there to give pause.

I love Will Fuller. That being said, I can understand not wanting to give him a big contract based on his many issues.

What I absolutely do not get is prioritizing Davis over Curtis Samuel. Samuel seems like a dream fit in the Jets new offense. He was used as a hybrid WR/RB last season. While I wouldn’t go as far as saying that’s the EXACT way Deebo and Aiyuk are used, the Niners run a metric ****load of jet sweeps and touch passes.

I’m ok with Davis. I’d be much okayer with Samuel.

1 hour ago, The Troll said:

I don’t really get it. He was a borderline top 5 FA WR IMO, but we prioritized him like he was the cream of the crop.

I’m wondering if there’s something about Golladay that we don’t know. WRs like him don’t just hit unrestricted free agency. They get franchised or they get traded because they’re a dickface. Plus, he missed almost all of last year with a mysterious injury. There are enough red flags there to give pause.

I love Will Fuller. That being said, I can understand not wanting to give him a big contract based on his many issues.

What I absolutely do not get is prioritizing Davis over Curtis Samuel. Samuel seems like a dream fit in the Jets new offense. He was used as a hybrid WR/RB last season. While I wouldn’t go as far as saying that’s the EXACT way Deebo and Aiyuk are used, the Niners run a metric ****load of jet sweeps and touch passes.

I’m ok with Davis. I’d be much okayer with Samuel.

Golladay has a bad hip issue we dodged a bullet 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

What a great signing. Great upgrade, big, physical and matched up well with mims who could lean a thing or two. This is a great pick up and helps the team. I like it alot.

I like pairing him up with Mims.  Plus we are definitely still drafting WR at 23 or 33

6 hours ago, Mogglez said:

No he doesn’t:

97B06E14-A701-439B-85FF-BC5A6C5F568B.thumb.jpeg.75329f32fc42d258df6788b6e7a3dbde.jpeg

He had the dropsies through 3 years of his career. Last year he became better about it. He might never be prone to dropping passes again, but I’m gonna remain skeptical. I love the signing and think Davis is gonna be great for us but drops are a small concern.

i don't get the complaining. this guy automatically becomes probably our best receiver. so we upgrade the position, at a good cost, and people complain because we didn't overpay an injury-prone guy to come here and play 6 or 7 games before going on IR again
I agree .. I think think the complaining is because we STILL don't have a true no.1 receiver.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using JetNation.com mobile app