Is JD going to sign a QB?

2 hours ago, T0mShane said:

There are lots of criticisms you could levy against Joe Douglas, but once you get to “he didn’t sign Mitch Trubisky!” you’ve probably overshot the runway.

He’s not starting who do we have Captain Morgan. I may have to start drinking it if this off season continues this way.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, T0mShane said:

There are lots of criticisms you could levy against Joe Douglas, but once you get to “he didn’t sign Mitch Trubisky!” you’ve probably overshot the runway.

If we're keeping Sam and trading out of the 2 Trubisky for more than Buffalo paid would have been a great move.  He could compete with Sam and probably wins the job outright.   If we're trading Sam and drafting a QB Trubisky could start until rookie QB is ready.   

• Upvote 1

Just now, Biggs said:

If we're keeping Sam and trading out of the 2 Trubisky for more than Buffalo paid would have been a great move.  He could compete with Sam and probably wins the job outright.   If we're trading Sam and drafting a QB Trubisky could start until rookie QB is ready.   

What’s better than having one Sam Darnold?

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, k-met57 said:

the jets wont sign someone like Trubisky because they want Sam to succeed. having a young backup coming off 2 playoff games in the last few years would not work. they will likely look for a veteran who can help Sam.

We can revisit this after the draft. 

19 minutes ago, DetroitRed said:

If JD wants Wilson and does not get value for Sam, then Sam stays.  And then the team picks a starter based on merit

Sam's value is simply what we can get for him vs his production.  Merit has zero to do with it.  If we draft a QB and keep Sam, Sam will start until he implodes or finally shows up.  If he shows up we have a Brees/Rivers situation which would be fantastic and unlikely.  

• Sympathy 1

34 minutes ago, k-met57 said:

the jets wont sign someone like Trubisky because they want Sam to succeed. having a young backup coming off 2 playoff games in the last few years would not work. they will likely look for a veteran who can help Sam.

If the Jets were planning to run it back with Sam and not draft a QB they would still certainly need to bring in some real training camp competition. The fact that have no yet identified that player tells me that they are going QB at #2.

4 hours ago, GreekJet said:

Marcus Mariota and Alex Smith look to be the last low end starter/high end backup type available. 

The longer this goes the more likely I see the Jets drafting a QB and keeping Darnold as a backup/competition.

If Mariota shakes lose, I'd sign him in a heartbeat and have a good ole QB competition. However, I think the Ravens will be tempted to overpay Mariota to be Lamar Jackson's back-up because they could at least run the same offense if Mariota was forced into action.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Biggs said:

Sam's value is simply what we can get for him vs his production.  Merit has zero to do with it.  If we draft a QB and keep Sam, Sam will start until he implodes or finally shows up.  If he shows up we have a Brees/Rivers situation which would be fantastic and unlikely.  

Merit has to do with who starts, not what he is traded for.  

1 hour ago, k-met57 said:

they won't keep sam and sign someone like trubisky b/c there's a legit chance that guy beats darnold out in a legit training camp competition anyway, and that's not what they'd want the world to see after they traded out of 2.  it's just too tricky to keep darnold, though i'm sure the drafter in douglas really, really wants to trade out and get more picks.  and i really understand this, b/c the jets could fasttrack a rebuild by trading out.  the entire offense could look different.

6 hours ago, GreekJet said:

Marcus Mariota and Alex Smith look to be the last low end starter/high end backup type available. 

The longer this goes the more likely I see the Jets drafting a QB and keeping Darnold as a backup/competition.

I say no.  Why would he?

They are conducting an evaluation of the QB prospects.  Adding yet another variable to this equation would confound things further.

i don't see any urgency to sign a qb unless he's going to be the starter or be the guy that battles darnold for the spot.  they have guys who should be able to provide back up for a game or two.  i know the jury is out on morgan but his ability should be clarified once he gets into a real training camp with lafeur and saleh.  same thing with white.

1 hour ago, Biggs said:

This. 80% chance Sam is the Jets QB1 on opening day next year.