Atlanta "open for moving" the #4 pick

38 minutes ago, kevinc855 said:

Not saying I make this trade but this forum downplays every position on the field

'box safety"

"just a tight end"

'Can get a RB cheap anywhere" 

"WR's are year to year"

NO ONE seems to care we havent had a competent kicker in 2 seasons 

Like what position do we value on this forum?

Asking for a friend? 

QB, OL, Edge, WR, CB

You're welcome. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, Adoni Beast said:

I still don’t believe San Fran is taking Mac.

I think its Lance.

Then you have to wonder if New England or Denver would trade up for Fields or Mac. 

I’m surprised Atlanta isn’t planning in drafting Matt Ryan’s successor. He’s in his way out.

I think atlanta is taking a qb, it’s really a no brainer as Ryan can be done any game now.  They can take lance or fields and sit him a bit, perfect for that guy.  Also can’t see SF taking jones.

• Upvote 1

I guess the Falcons are not trading with the Panthers, because Carolina trading with the Falcons there would work for both teams.

The Falcons are stuck with Ryan at least this year and maybe next.  They need to roll with it and build a team around him that is competitive.  Like the Saints did.  Fill the seats, make it fun.   Arthur Smith can basically find a way to draft OL and Najee Harris and re-create the Titans.  

The Jets should get in on this.  Trade away 23 for Harris and try to get a lower first round pick and more 2nd round picks.  

42 minutes ago, jetblue95 said:

i just picked one at random via google search

https://www.drafttek.com/NFL-Trade-Value-Chart.asp?RequestTeam=nyj

#4 = 1800

#23 (760) + #34 (560) = 1320

generally speaking, future picks discounted by a round, so next year's #1 = this year #2.  the 10th pick of the 2nd round this year is 480, which is the differential above.  we have 2 #1s next year, but it probably would take the lower of the two (assume seattle since they assumedly will still have russell wilson this year and have a better overall team).

so that's the ballpark

flip it around - if the jets had the #4 pick, would you trade it for a late 1st/early 2nd?

All good points.  But I'd rather use all of the picks.  We need a lot of help.

4 minutes ago, HighPitch said:

Ive been stewing on this for a while.

I think, because we have so many picks, that I would pull the trigger on this.

BUT wait..... Pitts@4 or Sewell/Slater????

I'd probably go Sewell. TE @ 4 is too rich for my blood. I don't care if he's Tony Gronkzalez reincarnate. 

1 hour ago, Obrien2Toon said:

My dream scenario would be trade down to 4 with Atlanta or whoever trades up to Atlanta pick

take fields, then move up with those picks to get Pitts

Fields/ Pitts ? 

Fields/any of the top pass catchers ? 

So I did some research....draft order...mock drafts...etc.

If we got the #4 from Atlanta and gave them 23, 34, Nexts years jamal 1st, Next years 5th from Avery williamson trade,

We would still  have these picks next year: 1,2,2,3,4,5,6,6,6

WE could walk away with Zach Wilson + Kyle Pitts and some kind of combination of the following TWO potential players by the time the third round ends:

Wyatt Davis OL

Asante Sameul CB

Joe Tyron Edge

Rondale Moore

Josh Meyers C

Liam Eichenberg OL

Tyson Campbell CB

Tylan Wallace WR

J Mayfield OT

Brady Christiansen OT (BYU)

Amari Rogers WR

I would do it!

• Upvote 4

11 minutes ago, NIGHT STALKER said:

First of all, this statement by the Hawks wasn't or isn't intended for the Jets.  The Jets are taking a QB at 2 and anyone below Atlanta that needs a QB...that's who they're targeting with their "open for moving" their #4 pick.

What difference does it make? A 100 dollar bill from bob is the same as it is from john.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, PS17 said:

Right. But I think the Super Bowl window with Matt Ryan has closed. And they have a golden opportunity to get a top tier QB who can develop for a year or two behind him. 

I agree with you. 

If the 49ers are really taking Jones, I would take Fields or Lance. (I suppose it's possible they don't like either guy?)

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, JiF said:

whoa, that much?  I dont really get the draft value thingy, I'm bad at the math, but when I look at the chart it's saying 23/34 would get it done.

To move up to 4 and get Pitts, we'd be competing with teams looking to move up to 4 for Lance or Fields.  The assets that would be needed to beat out those teams would be enormous.  So no, I don't think 23 and 34 would be nearly enough to move that high.  

The chart is slightly outdated when it comes to the value of top 5 picks.  The cheaper rookie wage scale (compared to what it used to be) is one reason.  The increasing need to find a QB is another.  The chart is useful for showing what it would take to move up, say, from 23 to 16.  Or from an early 3rd to a late 2nd.  Stuff like that.  But long ago the market has been blown to pieces for top 5 picks because of how much more teams are giving up to move that high.

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, slimjasi said:

It sounds to me like they might be leaning against taking a QB 

Finances dictate they really shouldn't look to take a QB right now.  Matt Ryan is under contract thru 2023 and would be difficult to move on from until at least 2022.  Their only hope there to exit that deal quicker, and avoid the financial ramifications, would be retirement.  He's 36 so its obviously not out of the question there.  But he'd be leaving an awful lot of money on the table if he retired after the 2021 season.

Should Ryan look to continue playing as long as possible, it's probably not the best use of assets to take a QB at 4 and then have him sit for 1-2 seasons.  They would most certainly have to find a way to trade Ryan after 2021.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Jetsfan80 said:

Finances dictate they really shouldn't look to take a QB right now.  Matt Ryan is under contract thru 2023 and would be difficult to move on from prior to 2022.  Their only hope to move on quicker would be retirement.  He's 36 so its obviously not out of the question there.

But should Ryan look to continue playing as long as possible, it's probably not the best use of assets to take a QB at 4 and then have him sit for 1-2 seasons.  

Fair. 

They are in a weird spot because they have good TEs and WRs and a good aging QB. 

Yeah, I don't think they are going QB for the reason you gave. I guess they could just take Sewell and call it a day. 

1 hour ago, JiF said:

whoa, that much?  I dont really get the draft value thingy, I'm bad at the math, but when I look at the chart it's saying 23/34 would get it done.

Depends to what slot, and yeah when there are QBs valued that high in the draft it throws off those chart numbers. 

I don't know that we have to move up to #4 to get him, though. 

Also instead of people throwing in additional future picks, I wouldn't discount the possibility of Maye being used as trade value to move up. He's just tagged, isn't very happy about it (nor would I be), and is the only player to publicly voice his displeasure over the Darnold trade.

So #23 + #34 + Maye might get us up to #4 - either directly or via a 3-way trade so Atlanta doesn't have to drop down that far - but again I don't know that we need to move up that much. In a draft with as many as 5 QBs likely going in the top 5-10, I'll believe a TE (no matter how talented) is going to go at #4, when we see it happen and not before then. 

They're different people even if they play the same position, so I don't want to tar & feather Pitts unjustly, but at this time in 2017 a smart pick at #6 was supposed to be for the Jets to draft game-changer OJ Howard. 

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

Fair. 

They are in a weird spot because they have good TEs and WRs and a good aging QB. 

Yeah, I don't think they are going QB for the reason you gave. I guess they could just take Sewell and call it a day. 

They may just be exploring what they could get for 4.  If they end up stuck there, I think they'll go ahead and just take a QB and hope for the best.  It would start a ticking clock on Matt Ryan's time in Atlanta, for sure.  I just don't know who would trade for him and his contract at 36-37 years old.  

4 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

They're different people even if they play the same position, so I don't want to tar & feather Pitts unjustly, but at this time in 2017 a smart pick at #6 was supposed to be for the Jets to draft game-changer OJ Howard. 

Great point. 

There was a lot of hype for Howard. 

15 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

Thread title could also read, "Atlanta open to letting you take its 4th prettiest sister to the Prom." 

8 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

The 4th prettiest could end up being the best wife. You never know. 

Yup.  Josh Allen was the 3rd QB off the board and Lamar Jackson the 5th in 2018, after all.  Derek Carr was the 4th QB taken in 2014 and ended up the best of that class.

But the 4th QB off the board in 2016 was.....Christian Hackenberg.  Yuck.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Obrien2Toon said:

My dream scenario would be trade down to 4 with Atlanta or whoever trades up to Atlanta pick

take fields, then move up with those picks to get Pitts

Fields/ Pitts ? 

I like Pitts for sure. I do not want Fields though.

16 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Depends to what slot, and yeah when there are QBs valued that high in the draft it throws off those chart numbers. 

I don't know that we have to move up to #4 to get him, though. 

Also instead of people throwing in additional future picks, I wouldn't discount the possibility of Maye being used as trade value to move up. He's just tagged, isn't very happy about it (nor would I be), and is the only player to publicly voice his displeasure over the Darnold trade.

So #23 + #34 + Maye might get us up to #4 - either directly or via a 3-way trade so Atlanta doesn't have to drop down that far - but again I don't know that we need to move up that much. In a draft with as many as 5 QBs likely going in the top 5-10, I'll believe a TE (no matter how talented) is going to go at #4, when we see it happen and not before then. 

I was really just being silly about it, like dream scenario but was curious what it would cost.  No way I would do this and I absolutely love Pitts. 

1 hour ago, Jet Life said:

Atlanta traded up to #6 and gave #27, a 2, a 4, a future 1 and 4 for Julio. 

Not saying if I’d do it or not but maybe 23, 34, Seattle’s 1 and panthers 2 would get it done 

Is trading 2x #1's and 2x #2's for a single player wise for a team in our situation?

• Upvote 1