Offensive Line

11 minutes ago, clayton163v said:

In my opinion, no position is more important for the long term success of an NFL team than its offensive line.   If your line is solid, you can run the ball with a committee approach and control the clock.  A solid line keeps the defense honest because it must respect the reality that it will stymie the blitz and/or give the QB time to throw.

The Jets have switched to the zone scheme where each lineman is responsible for an area instead of a man.  This allows greater width to the running attack as the line - as a general rule - is shifting left or right which keeps the defense on its heels since guessing can leave you badly out of position and lead to a big play.  It requires lineman who have good feet and better movement skills.  It is less important for the lineman to overpower the defensive line and more important to steer him away from the hole.  When you run the zone scheme, teamwork is paramount and familiarity with your teammates is key.

In my opinion, the offensive line has under-performed and I have about had it with the current personnel.  Here is my review of what we have.

Mekhi Becton is a solid starter at tackle.  While he missed too many games and took his lumps, he also dished out serious punishment and served notice to the NFL.  Standing in front of him on running plays whether on the line or in the second level is going to send you flying.  I was pleased with his rookie year and think he demonstrated his draft grade as the tackle with the most upside in last year's draft.  That said, the most important quality of a professional athlete is availability and he needs to stay healthy and be more consistent with his pass blocking. 

Our other tackle, Fant is entering his sixth year.  Undrafted, he fought his way into the lineup with Seattle and signed a nice contract with us.  While he played well at times, I thought his play was not the best.  Some of his best play came when spelling Becton during the five games he missed.  I have no doubt we can upgrade the position with a high draft choice particularly since a hammerhead right tackle can be found.  But if we do, his salary cap hit would be $6.5 million in dead money this season according to overthecap.  I sincerely doubt that is going to happen.   

Our only genuine backup at tackle is Chuma Edoga.   When he came into the league, he was given a very good review as a guard for a team that runs a zone scheme.  Perhaps we have had no choice but to play him at tackle.  Perhaps the draft guide was wrong about him.  Nevertheless, Edoga has been over-matched when asked to play left tackle.  At times last year, we sent hapless Josh Andrews out to the left tackle spot instead.  Either way, mayhem ensued and we could not execute the offense and were rendered noncompetitive.  I do not know what to think about Edoga.  If he is truly unable to play guard, then I cannot see much of a future in the NFL and he is on the bubble.  It is tough to justify a roster spot for a right tackle only backup offensive lineman.  He is not a left tackle.

Conor McDermott is the other Tackle but he played mostly at guard.  Given the poor play of the line overall and the likelihood of multiple draft picks, he is on the bubble.  He had a genuine chance to earn a roster spot and I think that ship has sailed.  We shall see but he has a fight on his hands and is on the bubble.  Unlike Edoga, he demonstrated positional versatility.  Again, perhaps we played Edoga at tackle out of pure desperation, but it was McDermott who got the snaps last year.

The other tackle on the team is last year's draft pick Cameron Clark.  Like Edoga, he is a college tackle who was projected by the draft guide at guard.  Both Edoga and Clark were projected as having inside out versatility in the NFL.  Neither is a guard only player and both have the necessary length to play tackle, particularly on the right side.  Unlike Edoga, Clark is an unknown quantity and we have no idea what he can do since he was red-shirted last season.  While some believe that he was simply beaten out for playing time on an awful team, I am not so sure about that.  Offensive lineman frequently need a year in the program to gain NFL strength and develop proper technique.  The draft guide made clear that Clark needed a little bit of both.  One thing is certain, Joe Douglas valued his inside out versatility over his draft grade.  There were guard only players available who carried starting grades and panned out nicely.  We will learn a lot about him in training camp this year.

Right now, Dan Feeney appears to be one of the starting guards.  A former 3d round pick, Feeney is earning $4.5 million which is a bit much for a backup.  Nevertheless, he has played entire seasons at both Center and Guard.  I see him as the replacement for Josh Andrews as the swing man inside.  If a rookie wants his starting spot, they will have to take it by force.  As of right now, he is the presumptive starter.   While many are down on him and wanted more expensive players, I think that scheme fit is part of the equation.  Again, Joe Douglas values his positional versatility.  This is a theme it appears.

The other starting guard is Van Roten.  He is a good fit for the zone scheme and despite the obvious problems the line experienced last season, he held down the starting job all year.  I saw him beaten on passing downs regularly.  Sometimes, It appeared that there were serious communication issues with both the center and tackle at different times.  I do not know who was at fault but I think it is fair to say that both guards were below average starters all season.  Perhaps he will improve.  Perhaps a rookie can do better.  From where I stand, I am drafting to improve the line and it is at guard and right tackle that I intend to do it.  He is on the bubble. 

The backup guards under contract are Leo Koloamatangi and James Murray who is also a center.  Both are on the bubble and I think Feeney's arrival spells the end for Murray since he can play Center.

The starting Center is Connor McGovern.  He is well-paid and will surely start for the next two years at center or guard.  While I thought the entire interior line was a disaster all season, his contract is mostly guaranteed so get used to him fellas.   The dead money hit on our cap this year and next make it impossible.  It may be that he is better at guard than center or the poor guard play led to the collapse.  Again, Joe Douglas brought in a player who brings positional versatility to the line. 

It is likely that the line's problems last year were due to both talent and shifting personnel due to both injury and poor play.  It is reality that zone schemes value consistency and familiarity with your teammates.  That was impossible last season between the injuries and - at times - the total collapse of the line.

In the coming draft, I see no less than two new lineman.  Given the versatility of the players we already have it is my hope that Joe Douglas picks one-dimensional players.  That means guard only players and a tackle who projects only to right tackle/guard.  If we take somebody early, it will be a right tackle/guard.  The guard only and center only players with starting grades are available throughout a draft.  You can get them later.  I hope we take a highly touted prospect early and two guard only or a center only player with later picks.  I honestly believe that they will earn roster spots.  We were 2-14 and the offensive line underperformed.  It is only natural so expect that there will be turnover and an all out battle for jobs in the NFL. 

Here is hoping we do just that.

Clark is probably good enough to get a look at RT at some point, but right now he's a guard and could win a starting job.

Only thing Feeney might be starting is the line at the post-game buffet.

Edited by AFJF
  • Upvote 3
  • Haha 1

Several guys in this draft project well to start at G and then succeed Fant at RT. Jenkins, AVT, Mayfield, (maybe Cosmi) would love to get one at 23. I think either Dickerson or creed Humphrey will be around mid second where is like to trade up for them, both seem a little rich at 34.

• Upvote 2

19 minutes ago, AFJF said:

Clark is probably good enough to get a look at RT at some point, but right now he's a guard and could win a starting job.

Only thing Feeney might be starting is the line at the post-game buffet.

Feeney has always started and is earning starter's pay.  I do not like the idea either, but a rookie will have to take the job.  Feeney is not Josh Andrews.

I do hope that the Jets are able to start better players than Van Roten, Fant and Feeney.  I expect at least two if not three lineman.  We shall see. 

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, David Harris said:

Several guys in this draft project well to start at G and then succeed Fant at RT. Jenkins, AVT, Mayfield, (maybe Cosmi) would love to get one at 23. I think either Dickerson or creed Humphrey will be around mid second where is like to trade up for them, both seem a little rich at 34.

I do not have my ourlads guide yet.  I expect it soon.  While many here study video, I rely on the opinions of the scouting service and what I have learned over the years.  I will write a deep post on the draft later. 

I am hopeful that we aim for a right tackle/guard with an early pick.  After that, I want the guard only or center only guys.  Taking one with our second 3d round pick would be early.  They are always there.  Compounding it is the need for them to fit the zone scheme.  I too want multiple lineman, I just think we need to be cautious and not overdraft guys.  Let's face it, we $uck.  We must hit on our picks.

• Post of the Week 1

It's a great year to stock up on OL in this draft. JD will grab a top prospect on the OL at one of the spots 23/34.  Of course, he will probably trade back somewhere since he loves accumulating picks. My guess is he takes an OL @ 23 and trades back @ 34.  A plug and play Guard is probably JD's target @ 23.  Fant will hold the fort at RT as will McGovern until next year so it's a luxury to draft a RT and C as well to groom for 2022/2023.  There's just an embarrassment of riches there for the pickings to ignore it.   I see guys in round 3-5 talentwise that would go higher in other drafts.  In fact, I could pick 4 players for the OL in this draft that could probably start or be backups in a year or two.  Not that they would start 3-4 rookies, but the opportunity to groom a couple rookies and develop some depth would be a big step in improving this putrid line.  

• Upvote 2

28 minutes ago, bitonti said:

If the Jets do not draft either Sewell or slater, they are not getting instant day 1 starter help for the line its just that simple 

I too lament recent events and wish we had been more patient.  But it is water under the bridge or - perhaps another bridge over troubled water - either way, Sewell is not going to wear the green absent some unforeseen event beyond my imagining.  I too see he is the obvious choice.  But that is over now.

As for Slater, he too is a fine prospect.   While I have not yet gotten my guide, my reading so far suggests Slater is a guard/right tackle prospect.  Is that so?  If so, he may fall much farther than is generally thought.  Perhaps all the way to 23.  We can only hope.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, bitonti said:

If the Jets do not draft either Sewell or slater, they are not getting instant day 1 starter help for the line its just that simple 

When we draft Zack Wilson at 2, if I was the Jets I would package pick 23 and one of the first round picks from next year and move up to grab Sewell.  That would be an investment worth doing to show you are protecting your new QB.

• Upvote 2

25 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

@clayton163v You’re missing a starter. Lewis is still the highest-paid guard on the team, by a good margin at that, and as of today is one of the starting guards - at worst he’s in the mix to start - or he’d have already been cut. 

They’ll likely draft a G - or G/T or G/C - prospect by pick 34 with the idea that he’ll (hopefully) start immediately. Also possible a rookie starts at C/RT, with either McGovern or Fant sliding over to guard, depending who’s the pick.

Assuming the highest-drafted rookie is one starter, the other guard spot would be the winner among Lewis, Feeney, GVR, Clark, and an outside shot at another rookie taken on day 3 (if one is taken) or another dark horse like Edoga.

While none of them by name gets fans’ juices flowing, I do at least like the idea that, for all 3 veterans, they’re in the position of playing for non-guaranteed roster spots since each really makes too much to be just pure depth.

Thanks for the heads up on Lewis.  I thought he was off the team.  My bad. 

I think you underestimate the "guard only" prospects.  I can easily see one of them earning a starting job even though they are not a premium pick.  But they will lack scheme versatility.  Something Douglas has been unwilling to forego thus far.

I doubt Fant will move to guard.  If beaten out, he becomes the swing tackle andEdoga is in jeopardy.  I doubt he is a cut since he is owed too much dead money.  Unless I am wrong, I think the same is true of Feeney.

3 hours ago, clayton163v said:

In my opinion, no position is more important for the long term success of an NFL team than its offensive line.   If your line is solid, you can run the ball with a committee approach and control the clock.  A solid line keeps the defense honest because it must respect the reality that it will stymie the blitz and/or give the QB time to throw.

The Jets have switched to the zone scheme where each lineman is responsible for an area instead of a man.  This allows greater width to the running attack as the line - as a general rule - is shifting left or right which keeps the defense on its heels.  A wrong guess can leave you badly out of position and lead to a big play.  It requires lineman who have good feet and better movement skills.  It is less important for the lineman to overpower the defensive line and more important to steer him away from the hole.  Combination blocks are key.  When you run the zone scheme, teamwork is critical and familiarity with your teammates is paramount.

In my opinion, the offensive line has under-performed and I have about had it with the current personnel.  Here is my review of what we have.

Mekhi Becton is a solid starter at tackle.  While he missed too many games and took his lumps, he also dished out serious punishment and served notice to the NFL.  Standing in front of him on running plays - whether on the line or in the second level - is going to send you flying.  I was pleased with his rookie year and think he demonstrated his draft grade as the tackle with the most upside in last year's draft.  That said, the most important quality of a professional athlete is availability and he needs to stay healthy and be more consistent with his pass blocking.  But the sky is the limit.

Our other tackle Fant, is entering his sixth year.  Undrafted, he fought his way into the lineup with Seattle and signed a nice contract with us.  While he played well at times, I thought his play was not the best.  Some of his best play came when spelling Becton during the five games he missed.  Put another way, he is an adequate left tackle but is not the ideal right tackle.  I have no doubt we can upgrade the position with a high draft choice particularly since a hammerhead right tackle can be found.  But if we cut him, his salary cap hit would be $6.5 million in dead money this season according to overthecap.  I sincerely doubt that is going to happen.  So his roster spot is safe imo.

Our only genuine backup at tackle is Chuma Edoga.   When he came into the league, he was given a very good review as a guard for a team that runs a zone scheme.  Perhaps we have had no choice but to play him at tackle.  Perhaps the draft guide was wrong about him.  Nevertheless, Edoga has been over-matched when asked to play left tackle and - to my knowledge - has not lined up at guard.  At times last year, we sent hapless Josh Andrews out to the left tackle spot when Edoga got hurt or run over.  Mayhem ensued and we could not execute the offense and were rendered noncompetitive.  I do not know what to think about Edoga.  If he is truly unable to play guard, then I cannot see much of a future in the NFL and he is on the bubble.  It is tough to justify a roster spot for a right tackle only backup offensive lineman.  He is not a left tackle.

Conor McDermott is the other Tackle but he played mostly at guard.  Given the poor play of the line overall and the likelihood of multiple draft picks, he is on the bubble.  He had a genuine chance to earn a long term roster spot and I think that ship has sailed.  We shall see but he has a fight on his hands and is on the bubble.  Unlike Edoga, he demonstrated positional versatility.  Again, perhaps we played Edoga at tackle out of pure desperation, but it was McDermott who got the snaps at guard last year.

The other tackle on the team is last year's draft pick Cameron Clark.  Like Edoga, he is a college tackle who was projected by the draft guide at guard.  Both Edoga and Clark were projected as having inside out versatility in the NFL.  Neither is a guard only player and both have the necessary length to play tackle, particularly on the right side.  Unlike Edoga, Clark is an unknown quantity and we have no idea what he can do since he was red-shirted last season.  While some believe that he was simply beaten out for playing time on an awful team, I am not so sure about that.  Offensive lineman frequently need a year in the program to gain NFL strength and develop proper technique.  The draft guide made clear that Clark needed a little bit of both.  One thing is certain, Joe Douglas valued his inside out versatility over his draft grade.  There were guard only players available who carried starting 3d round grades and have panned out nicely.  Clark carried a 6th round grade and was considered a project.  At least he is friends with Becton.  We will learn a lot about him in training camp this year.  Like Edoga, he has a fight on his hands. 

Right now, Dan Feeney appears to be one of the starting guards.  A former 3d round pick, Feeney is earning $4.5 million which is a bit much for a backup.  Nevertheless, he has played entire seasons at both Center and Guard.  I see him as the replacement for Josh Andrews as the swing man inside.  If a rookie wants his starting spot, they will have to take it by force.  As of right now, he is the presumptive starter.   While many are down on him and wanted more expensive players, I think that scheme fit is part of the equation.  Plus, Joe Douglas values his positional versatility.  This is a theme it appears.

EDIT - I had thought that Lewis was off the team - but as Sperm mentioned below - he is still on the roster.   When he was playing he did a decent job - as he has since he arrived via trade.  But - as was true on the Ravens - he has not been able to stay healthy.   I believe that - like Van Roten - he is in a battle to remain on the roster.  I see Feeney as the starter until he is beaten out. 

The other starting guard is Van Roten.  He is a good fit for the zone scheme and despite the obvious problems the line experienced last season, he held down the starting job.  I saw him beaten on passing downs too often.  Sometimes, It appeared that there were serious communication issues with both the center and tackle at different times.  I do not know who was at fault but I think it is fair to say that both guards were below average starters all season.  Perhaps he will improve.  Perhaps a rookie can do better.  From where I stand, I am drafting to improve the line and it is at guard and right tackle that I intend to do it.  He is on the bubble. 

The backup guards under contract are Leo Koloamatangi and James Murray who is also a center.  Both are on the bubble and I think Feeney's arrival spells the end for Murray since he can play Center.

The starting Center is Connor McGovern.  He is well-paid and will surely start for the next two years at center or guard.  While I thought the entire interior line was a disaster all season, his contract is mostly guaranteed so get used to him fellas.   The dead money hit on our cap this year and next make it impossible to move on.  It may be that he is better at guard than center or the poor guard play led to the collapse.  Again, Joe Douglas brought in a player who brings positional versatility to the line. 

It is likely that the line's problems last year were due to both talent and shifting personnel due to both injury and poor play.  It is reality that zone schemes value consistency and familiarity with your teammates.  That was impossible last season between the injuries and - at times - the total collapse of the line.

In the coming draft, I see no less than two new lineman.  Given the versatility of the players we already have it is my hope that Joe Douglas picks some one-dimensional players inside.  The reason is pragmatic, they can be had with later draft picks.  That means "guard only" or "center only" players and a tackle who projects only to right tackle/guard.  If we take somebody early, it will be a right tackle/guard.  The "guard only" and "center only" players with starting grades were available well into the fifth round last year.  I hope we take a highly touted prospect early and two "guard only" or a "center only" player with later picks.  I honestly believe that they will earn starting jobs and roster spots.  We were 2-14 and the offensive line underperformed.  It is only natural to expect that there will be turnover and an all out battle for NFL jobs. 

Here is hoping we do just that.

I never tought about the idea of moving Edoga to guard, if you go back and read his scouting reports they all say he would excell in a zone blocking scheme as a guard.

As you say it will be his last chance of sticking on the team this off-season as I presume we will select a tackel at some stage.

Hopefully we have a gem of a guard on the team already in Edoga but I won't hold my breath.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, clayton163v said:

I too lament recent events and wish we had been more patient.  But it is water under the bridge or - perhaps another bridge over troubled water - either way, Sewell is not going to wear the green absent some unforeseen event beyond my imagining.  I too see he is the obvious choice.  But that is over now.

As for Slater, he too is a fine prospect.   While I have not yet gotten my guide, my reading so far suggests Slater is a guard/right tackle prospect.  Is that so?  If so, he may fall much farther than is generally thought.  Perhaps all the way to 23.  We can only hope.

I’d be surprised if Slater falls to 23. If he slips far enough however, I can certainly see us trading up to draft him.

• Upvote 1

I hope this is the year that we get at least two top developmental OL prospects in our first five or six selections.  Have heard different things about the interior lineman crop.  So I've got the rest of the month to fill myself in.  But how about some draft capital well spent, Mr Douglas! 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, pdxgreen said:

I hope this is the year that we get at least two top developmental OL prospects in our first five or six selections.  Have heard different things about the interior lineman crop.  So I've got the rest of the month to fill myself in.  But how about some draft capital well spent, Mr Douglas! 

If he doesn’t trade up, JD must take a OL with pick 23. Build the line and protect your young QB.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, long time suffering Jets f said:

If he doesn’t trade up, JD must take a OL with pick 23. Build the line and protect your young QB.

Seriously.  Look what happened when we took Brick and Mangold.  This shouldn't be that hard.  All you have to do is look at the five years of offensive lineman-less BS that Mr. Coffee put us through!

• Upvote 3

Feeney has always started and is earning starter's pay.  I do not like the idea either, but a rookie will have to take the job.  Feeney is not Josh Andrews.

I do hope that the Jets are able to start better players than Van Roten, Fant and Feeney.  I expect at least two if not three lineman.  We shall see. 

If they can't find a guy in the draft who is better than the worst center in the NFL, this team is screwed anyway.

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, clayton163v said:

McGovern and Lewis both make more than him and GVR is within 600K of what he makes.  The rookie(s) they bring in should be better than Feeney.

I'd imagine either Lewis or GVR will be shown the door after the draft and Feeney will be the guy who backs up at C and G.

Edited by AFJF
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, bitonti said:

So there are only two starting OL in this draft?  Man I wish I had the crystal ball you have to predict such a thing. Where do you come up with this?  What do you see that everyone else doesn’t?

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, Wonderboy said:

It's a great year to stock up on OL in this draft. JD will grab a top prospect on the OL at one of the spots 23/34.  Of course, he will probably trade back somewhere since he loves accumulating picks. My guess is he takes an OL @ 23 and trades back @ 34.  A plug and play Guard is probably JD's target @ 23.  Fant will hold the fort at RT as will McGovern until next year so it's a luxury to draft a RT and C as well to groom for 2022/2023.  There's just an embarrassment of riches there for the pickings to ignore it.   I see guys in round 3-5 talentwise that would go higher in other drafts.  In fact, I could pick 4 players for the OL in this draft that could probably start or be backups in a year or two.  Not that they would start 3-4 rookies, but the opportunity to groom a couple rookies and develop some depth would be a big step in improving this putrid line.  

My hunch is that they’ll draft a RT at 23 if there’s one he wants but if not, he’ll look to trade back a few spots.  Tackles usually go before guards anyway.  Assuming they go OL in late round 1, it’s hard to see the jets not going cb in early round 2.  That said, who knows who falls to them there, and that pick could also be a great trade chip.

• Upvote 2

There are at least 10-15 Center/Guard selections out there in this draft that I expect at least 2 of them taken by the JETS. Of those 10-15 players, I expect each could start day 1. This draft will be an epic fail if 2 out of the top 10-15 IOL players are not taken this year if we draft Wilson at #2.

• Sympathy 1

2 hours ago, adobolo2 said:

I never tought about the idea of moving Edoga to guard, if you go back and read his scouting reports they all say he would excell in a zone blocking scheme as a guard.

As you say it will be his last chance of sticking on the team this off-season as I presume we will select a tackel at some stage.

Hopefully we have a gem of a guard on the team already in Edoga but I won't hold my breath.

If only it would be this simple.  Edoga can win a guard spot and Clark could also then JD just needs to go big after a Right tackle and center and fill in around them with depth. 

• Upvote 2

32 minutes ago, 68JET11 said:

There are at least 10-15 Center/Guard selections out there in this draft that I expect at least 2 of them taken by the JETS. Of those 10-15 players, I expect each could start day 1. This draft will be an epic fail if 2 out of the top 10-15 IOL players are not taken this year if we draft Wilson at #2.

As @Sperm Edwards said in another topic I expect just one starter for the o line in this draft as you don't want your rookie qb protected by two or three rookie OL men.

I'd guess joe might select a center in the later rounds he sees as someone to redshirt with the intention of taking over from McGovern in 2022.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, bitonti said:

Thanks for the hot take, now I dont have to watch for an OL after day 1

giphy.gif

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

Thanks for the heads up on Lewis.  I thought he was off the team.  My bad. 

I think you underestimate the "guard only" prospects.  I can easily see one of them earning a starting job even though they are not a premium pick.  But they will lack scheme versatility.  Something Douglas has been unwilling to forego thus far.

I doubt Fant will move to guard.  If beaten out, he becomes the swing tackle andEdoga is in jeopardy.  I doubt he is a cut since he is owed too much dead money.  Unless I am wrong, I think the same is true of Feeney.

I’m not underestimating or overestimating them. I know nothing of them. I take for granted they’re good prospects earning top 30 grades just like every year, that the team’s strong preference is to start a rookie right away, and also that there is a contingency plan already in place. 

Fant makes $9MM he’s not just sticking as a backup swing tackle. If he’s versatile enough to start at either tackle spot he should be able to play guard. It’s not like moving someone from OLB to CB. 

Absent the Jets finding a trade partner, GVR would likely feel the pressure to take a pay cut or get cut. Definitely Lewis even more so. Feeney probably won’t feel that pressure to take a $ cut since he’s got nothing to lose: his up front bonus has already been paid, the reduction would be salary down to the vet min, and he can make that league minimum from other teams so it’d be an empty threat. 

Purely from a spending standpoint, the best outcome is probably Feeney or Clark wins the open G slot, and they keep one of either Lewis or GVR on reduced salaries to the $2MM range. I’m not that greedy just yet; right now I just want 2 competent guards on the field. If they’re the two cheapest, fine. If not, none make that much, so also fine.

Guard depth won’t be thin at least, lol. 

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, clayton163v said:

The starting Center is Connor McGovern.  He is well-paid and will surely start for the next two years at center or guard.  While I thought the entire interior line was a disaster all season, his contract is mostly guaranteed so get used to him fellas.   The dead money hit on our cap this year and next make it impossible to move on.  It may be that he is better at guard than center or the poor guard play led to the collapse.  Again, Joe Douglas brought in a player who brings positional versatility to the line. 

He actually has a reasonable out after this year, save 9mil cap hit if they cut him in the offseason next year. Would not be surprised if he is on the outside looking in by the end of the year if JD hits on his draft picks. 

image.png.342cd903e380fcf0e2c881718cef34e6.png

• Sympathy 1

I believe that most of the problems at Oline was the result of Gase's scheme/play design not meshing with Oline coach Frank Pollack teaching methods.

Don't get me wrong, talent needs to be improved, but i believe moreso that there was a coaching issue. Too many free rushers. Too many unblocked, unaccounted for LBers/Safeties. 

I think this staff will be a much needed improvement. And i think JD knows this. 

• Upvote 3

6 hours ago, bitonti said:

I know you are obsessed with Sewell, but that is a preposterous statement. You don't think Creed Humphrey is a potential day 1 starter at center? (i.e. move Mcgovern to guard) You think there are zero day 1 starters at guard? ZERO? Vera-Tucker? Wyatt Davis? Trey Smith? None of those guys can be day 1 starters on this line? Really? 

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, slats said:

This is a ridiculous statement. 

What's so ridiculous about it? 

The key phrase is instant day 1 help

Sewell and slater are top 10 prospects they are not going to be on the board at 23

The only other prospect that I can see starting day 1 is AVT. 

• Upvote 2

25 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

I know you are obsessed with Sewell, but that is a preposterous statement. You don't think Creed Humphrey is a potential day 1 starter at center? (i.e. move Mcgovern to guard) You think there are zero day 1 starters at guard? ZERO? Vera-Tucker? Wyatt Davis? Trey Smith? None of those guys can be day 1 starters on this line? Really? 

The Jets are not interested in creed Humphrey they love McGovern for whatever reason. Wyatt Davis is not a fit for the zone. Trey Smith has blood clots and sucks he's going in like Rd 6.

Avt is probably a day 1 guard like a rich man's Matt feiler. Avt would start here just because the guards are terrible. Not because he's Quenton Nelson 

So yeah they could draft chili rachal part 2 but other than that this is the line 

• Upvote 1