For those still wishing for Fields, get in here! We're going to his proday tomorrow again

23 minutes ago, legler82 said:

Off platform?

1. OSU social media needs to get it together... I'm sure there is video somewhere of Justin making a much more impressive off-platform throw than this... this is a throw every QB should make in their sleep let alone on the practice field starting at the high school level. Hell I bet quite a few on this forum can do this on the beach after a few attempts. 
  2. I'd like to see a few examples of off-platform throws on game tape, preferably travelling more than 10 yards through the air. Unfortunately, there aren't many. Not to say he can't, but hasn't displayed an ability that he can in a game. 
  • Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, legler82 said:

I find it hilarious that off platform throws are now a requirement for top QBs.  In 2017 Mahomes’ off platform brilliance was labeled as “bad mechanics”.  Now we would “like to see a few more examples on tape”.  The PM (Post Mahomes) over correction continues.  Wilson needs to send a portion of his contract to Mahomes.  

This illustrates how pervasive over-promotion is amongst leadership in the NFL. Quite honestly, it mirrors the experiences I’ve had with employers and clients in the Fortune 500. Over-promotion and the gross lack of vision/strategy at high levels of leadership ... it’s a wonder anything gets done anywhere. Trend chasing has a place. To have it over-take 50+ years of mechanics, scouting, game-planning and play design???  Nah.

• Upvote 4

5 hours ago, legler82 said:

I find it hilarious that off platform throws are now a requirement for top QBs.  In 2017 Mahomes’ off platform brilliance was labeled as “bad mechanics”.  Now we would “like to see a few more examples on tape”.  The PM (Post Mahomes) over correction continues.  Wilson needs to send a portion of his contract to Mahomes.  

It's not an over correction.  It's been advancing this way for years.  This is the modern game right now.  Almost all of the great QB's had the ability to make great off platform throws. 

6 hours ago, legler82 said:

I'm not seeing it as a requirement anymore than having a huge arm.  If its part of the players skill set its a plus.  It its interesting that having the ability to throw off platform is somehow a negative to some

39 minutes ago, Biggs said:

It's not an over correction.  It's been advancing this way for years.  This is the modern game right now.  Almost all of the great QB's had the ability to make great off platform throws. 

There’s a difference between having the ability and using it when needed versus doing it unnecessarily & excessively to I’m guessing selfishly show off for scouts and YouTubers alike.  Mahomes was running for his life at Texas Tech. Wilson was behind one of the best and most mature lines in college football often times leaving the pocket and throwing off platform for no reason other than to make a clip I’m guessing.  I For his sake and ours I pray that sh*t is as easy next year.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

1 hour ago, Jet Nut said:

I'm not seeing it as a requirement anymore than having a huge arm.  If its part of the players skill set its a plus.  It its interesting that having the ability to throw off platform is somehow a negative to some

That’s one interpretation of what I said. A terrible one but an interpretation nonetheless. 

57 minutes ago, Biggs said:

But where they got the darnold eval wrong was that many think that if you can make off platform throws, you can also excel in the pocket.  They ignored that darnold’s pocket skills were undeveloped and blindly assumed that would be the easy part for him in the nfl, since he can make the off platform throws.  Guys like mahomes also killed it from the pocket in college, whereas darnold struggled.

• Upvote 2

23 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

Exactly.   When the first Mahomes comp was floated I shook my head.   If people think they are getting the next Mahomes in Wilson they will be sorely disappointed.  The arm talent isn’t on the same level, that’s not a major knock on Wilson because not many people on earth car rival Mahomes arm talent, but labeling this kid the next Mahomes is only setting him up for disappointment.  

Disagree.

32 minutes ago, legler82 said:

There’s a difference between having the ability and using it when needed versus doing it unnecessarily & excessively to I’m guessing selfishly show off for scouts and YouTubers alike.  Mahomes was running for his life at Texas Tech. Wilson was behind one of the best and most mature lines in college football often times leaving the pocket and throwing off platform for no reason other than to make a clip I’m guessing.  I For his sake and ours I pray that sh*t is as easy next year.

That’s an excellent, yet terrifying post. In my bacon brain I can see him running backwards or into trouble way more than away from it in the NFL. He really needs to go to a team that is ready to protect or sit him a bit.

If he’s the day 1 starter for the Jets I hope his parents aren’t watching. Be like the time at the Myrtle Beach amusement park my then 10 year old son got excited and confused, ran up the off ramp of the bumper cars when the ride ended and got trampled by the kids getting off quickly so they could get right back on again. He did eventually go on be an ok 0 nose tackle but damn that was tough to watch . Mostly for my wife though, I thought he could have gotten a little lower and was pissed I didn’t film it. 

• Haha 1

35 minutes ago, legler82 said:

This couldn't be more inaccurate.  Did you actually watch his film?

Do you honestly believe taking his team to an 11-1 record this year - and being a 3 year starter (as a true freshman his first year) he's the type of player that took a selfish approach and harmed is team solely for selfish purposes?

It's really kinda silly to make a statement like that - really takes away any credibilty you had left in your feelings about ZW.  Even for you, this one is just ridiculous.

After watching Sams happy feet /off platform mechanics for 3 years I just want the next guy to set his feet and throw it on time 

This whole off platform mechanics thing is not as impressive as everyone hypes it to be 

I'd rather they build a line than rely on kids to play schoolyard ball 

• Upvote 3

Just now, bitonti said:

After watching Sams happy feet /off platform mechanics for 3 years I just want the next guy to set his feet and throw it on time 

This whole off platform mechanics thing is not as impressive as everyone hypes it to be 

I'd rather they build a line than rely on kids to play schoolyard ball 

But he's shown he can throw from the pocket (remember 20 seconds to throw and all that). It's not like he's getting the ball and just doing behind the back passes for no reason.

A lot of ignorance on this topic 

off platform ability =\= bad mechanics 

In fact, the reason Wilson can throw off platform so well is because of his prodigious throwing mechanics. He will enter the NFL with the second best throwing mechanics in the leuage. His ability to rotate and generate power with his hips I’ve only seen I one other guy, ever... Aaron Rodgers.

Mahomes is great off platform because he has a cannon and is Gumby with his arm, but his mechanics are atrocious. Two different ways to get to the same results. 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Tranquilo said:

But he's shown he can throw from the pocket (remember 20 seconds to throw and all that). It's not like he's getting the ball and just doing behind the back passes for no reason.

His accuracy numbers are OK not elite 

Fields is actually more accurate under pressure and intermediate and deep. Wilson is more accurate with short throws on the move 

End of the day it is not really about cfb accuracy numbers it's about durability.. Whoever sf drafts is going to have an easier time than whoever NYJ drafts. Same system, but one rookie is going to be running for his life 

• Upvote 2
  • WTF? 1

57 minutes ago, legler82 said:

Ridiculous assumption.  He took the ball from center and has  shown solid ability to climb up in the pocket and make great throws.   They won and he didn't turn the ball over.  

Darnold never took the ball from center and never really showed the abiltiy to consistently climb up the pocket and make solid foundational throws.  Zach can, has and will.  

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, bitonti said:

His accuracy numbers are OK not elite 

Fields is actually more accurate under pressure and intermediate and deep. Wilson is more accurate with short throws on the move 

End of the day it is not really about cfb accuracy numbers it's about durability.. Whoever sf drafts is going to have an easier time than whoever NYJ drafts. Same system, but one rookie is going to be running for his life 

You got a link for those numbers? Just wanna see them.

I don't think the offensive line is going to be as bad as you think. Gase made everyone worse.

5 minutes ago, Tranquilo said:

You got a link for those numbers? Just wanna see them.

I don't think the offensive line is going to be as bad as you think. Gase made everyone worse.

The line is garbage and they only added Dan feeney. Saleh is better than gase it also takes time to install a new system again. We haven't had a draft yet but it's safe to say that qb1 whoever it is will take punishment next year 

3 minutes ago, bitonti said:

The line is garbage and they only added Dan feeney. Saleh is better than gase it also takes time to install a new system again. We haven't had a draft yet but it's safe to say that qb1 whoever it is will take punishment next year 

While Fields has better numbers in that chart, Wilson is pretty close and also has a much better interception rate. I wouldn't worry about his accuracy. 

We'll draft linemen. Guaranteed. 

• Upvote 2