Pauline: Jets 'Leaning Towards' Ojulari In Round 2

What positions are the Jets targeting early on Day 2?

(11:25 AM) The Jets have a big decision to make at the top of Round 2 — running back or defense. I’m told right now they seem to be leaning towards Azeez Ojulari, whom they did not expect to be on the board. Ojulari will help improve the pass rush and is the hybrid type of defender Robert Saleh likes. He’s a big-time prospect, but as I stated yesterday, medical red flags at the NFL Combine really hurt his draft stock.

1 minute ago, johnnysd said:

Pauline used to be well connected to the Jets but not anymore, whoever his contact was is gone. He just seems to throw crap against the wall now. I would place no confidence in this. 

Are you kidding? He was the one who said the Jets were getting ready to trade up last night. He hit on a bunch of forecasts before that.

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, undertow said:

saying a team with extra picks is trying to move up isn't having inside information it's common sense.

It's more than common sense when he posts an update saying the Jets are getting ready to trade up less than 30 minutes before they do it. It means he has sources.

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

Pauline used to be well connected to the Jets but not anymore, whoever his contact was is gone. He just seems to throw crap against the wall now. I would place no confidence in this. 

He did say last night before the draft even started that the Jets were looking to move up into the top 12 for one of the CBs or OL

New York Jets moving up?

(7:50 PM ET) Word I’m hearing is the Jets would like to move up from pick 23 if they can swing a deal. The players they are targeting are either of the top corners, Surtain or Horn, or one of the top remaining offensive lineman.

Just now, BroadwayRay said:

It's more than common sense when he posts an update saying the Jets are getting ready to trade up less than 30 minutes before they do it. It means he has sources.

Sure -- but it could be sources with other teams. 

The Jets looking to move up involves them talking to other front offices about it. It's much more public.

You'd need to be in the Jets draft room to know what their board looks like.

4 minutes ago, chirorob said:

I don't like drafting guys with medical issues in the early rounds.

If you pick at 34, you aren't getting anyone till the 4th round.   This guy has to start and be healthy.

Fair enough....I think the trade down is the best option.  I just don't buy into this idea that we HAVE to go offense.  I understand why people want to, but you can't not pick a good player just so you can force something to fit the 'offense' agenda.

• Upvote 2

Just now, BroadwayRay said:

Yeah plenty of people get info when the deals are done nobody knows who the Jets are taking 6 hours before the draft.

1 minute ago, Untouchable said:

I’d sure as hell take Ojulari over Perkins, who the Jets have also been connected with.

However, a week or so before the draft, a select group of players traveled to Indianapolis for medical checks. That's where Ojulari was red-flagged because of a degenerative lower leg condition according to Pro Football Network's Tony Pauline. Doctors were concerned the previous injury would lead to progressive, often irreversible deterioration, and loss of function in the ligaments. 

• Upvote 2

13 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

He said they were looking to trade up last night and he nailed it.

This was being rumored a week before the draft.  Saying Pauline nailed this is a huge stretch.  

This article is from April 22nd.

https://www.si.com/nfl/jets/news/new-york-jets-gm-joe-douglas-laying-groundwork-to-trade-up-in-first-round-nfl-draft

2 minutes ago, C Mart said:

However, a week or so before the draft, a select group of players traveled to Indianapolis for medical checks. That's where Ojulari was red-flagged because of a degenerative lower leg condition according to Pro Football Network's Tony Pauline. Doctors were concerned the previous injury would lead to progressive, often irreversible deterioration, and loss of function in the ligaments. 

I get that he has medical scares, but at least he’s a plus athlete who can fly off the edge.

Perkins strikes me as another Jordan Jenkins “try hard” type who is limited.

• Upvote 1