Pauline: Jets 'Leaning Towards' Ojulari In Round 2

He had an ACL in high school - caused him to redshirt his freshman year at UGA, but I am not aware of any significant medical issues for Ojulari since then.  That said, as much as I love my Dawgs, I prefer we go in another direction.  I would have to review his tape, but from what I recall I think most of his sacks were effort/motor and less technique.

I think he will be a good player, but not sure he is the stud pass rusher we would be looking for.

I would rather see us trade back.

• Upvote 4

Matt Cannata @CannataPFN

I know the Dolphins want a running back. I know they want a center. I'm hearing that the Jets won't stand in the way when it comes to Javonte Williams. Will he make it to Miami? More importantly, if he does, will he be the pick?

38 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Disaster if this is what they do.

I honestly love how A+ and F- grades for this draft are going to be on a razors for you. I want what you want though.

I don't want Ojulari here .... I'm on the the OL or WR train at 34 ..... Only other option I like is trade back and stay on the same train.

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, C Mart said:

However, a week or so before the draft, a select group of players traveled to Indianapolis for medical checks. That's where Ojulari was red-flagged because of a degenerative lower leg condition according to Pro Football Network's Tony Pauline. Doctors were concerned the previous injury would lead to progressive, often irreversible deterioration, and loss of function in the ligaments. 

Good catch, I didn't hear this.  If we stay at #34 (highly doubt it) I would rather a defender like

Owusu-Koramoah.  Who would fit perfectly as a speed LB next to Mosley & Davis

• Upvote 3

9 minutes ago, IndianaJet said:

This was being rumored a week before the draft.  Saying Pauline nailed this is a huge stretch.  

This article is from April 22nd.

https://www.si.com/nfl/jets/news/new-york-jets-gm-joe-douglas-laying-groundwork-to-trade-up-in-first-round-nfl-draft

ALL teams do this before the draft..So when a team is on the clock and looking to make a trade the potential teams and parameters have already been established

28 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

Pauline used to be well connected to the Jets but not anymore, whoever his contact was is gone. He just seems to throw crap against the wall now. I would place no confidence in this. 

He also said the Jets were taking a RB in the first 2 rounds. I suppose if he makes enough predictions for what the Jets will do in the first 2 rounds, one is likely to be correct and we will hear about from some posters that seem to think Pauline has inside info. 

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, CanadaSteve said:

Fair enough....I think the trade down is the best option.  I just don't buy into this idea that we HAVE to go offense.  I understand why people want to, but you can't not pick a good player just so you can force something to fit the 'offense' agenda.

I agree on offense.

There are 8-10 people I would like, trade down about 10 spots, that should land you a 3rd.  The team NEEDS everything, running back, tight end, center, corner, safety (hate saying it, but after Mayes what do they have?).   You can trade down 10 spots, still fill a need, and have an extra player out of it.

29 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

He said they were looking to trade up last night and he nailed it.

There was a post in this forum a few days ago where he said the Jets were looking to take a RB in the first 2 rounds which can't be possible if they are leaning Ojulari. 

We all know the Jets needs and the Jets options. If I would have predicted the Jets were going to pick Zach Wilson and Oline last night, would that be proof that I am an insider?

33 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

Pauline used to be well connected to the Jets but not anymore, whoever his contact was is gone. He just seems to throw crap against the wall now. I would place no confidence in this. 

He lost all credibility when he was claiming the Jets were interested in a RB in either round 1 or 2. NEVER WAS GOING TO HAPPEN. He's just throwing you know what on the wall. 

12 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Jachai Polite and Jabari Zuniga say hello. 

Zuniga would be my only reservation - admittedly, based on hope not strategy - because it seems he's a much better scheme fit this year compared to last year. It's throwing in the towel on him pretty early. Not saying it's without reason -- he may already think he made a huge mistake and there's no sense doubling down on it.

Yes Zuniga can still be used as a situational pass rusher, and yes injuries happen and teams need depth, too, but the hope is round 3 picks become full time (or at least 2-down) starters.

Didn't get to see him much in 2020, but I thought the skill set I re-read on him just translated better to where he'd line up more this year, from his stance exploding up & out like Sper-- ...never mind like what. 

So anyway signing Lawson in FA and then drafting another at #34 a month later sure would look like a vote of no (or at best pretty low) confidence by the guy who drafted him just last year. Oh well.

• Upvote 3

Amazing how some here are butt hurt over Pauline and how he took his passion, took a chance, and put in the work for years that they slam him over every little thing he puts out..He had Mcc being in trouble months before anyone else. He had the Jets targeting a QB in the first two rounds during the combine of the year the Jets took Hack..Last night he said before the draft even started they wanted to get into the top 12 for a CB or OL..Sure he's been wrong on many things..who hasn't?

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 1

16 minutes ago, Lurker89 said:

I honestly love how A+ and F- grades for this draft are going to be on a razors for you. I want what you want though.

I don't want Ojulari here .... I'm on the the OL or WR train at 34 ..... Only other option I like is trade back and stay on the same train.

That's not exactly accurate.  

It could be a good draft - but at the same time Joe Douglas proves himself to be incompetent.  Both of those things can be true.

8 minutes ago, jetsrule1969 said:

He lost all credibility when he was claiming the Jets were interested in a RB in either round 1 or 2. NEVER WAS GOING TO HAPPEN. He's just throwing you know what on the wall. 

Did I miss round 2 ??

• Upvote 3

WE ARE NOT GOING DEFENSE!!!!!!!!!!

Why is this so hard to understand?

We are building an offense around wilson.

It will either be:

oline - creed humphry or Jenkins

tight end - maybe kid from penn state

wr - elijah moore

rb - williams from nc

The plan is to be ready to compete in 2023.  We rebuild the offense this year.  We will focus on the D next year.

And will have a complete team ready to go in 2023.

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

39 minutes ago, fullblast said:

If you're taking a defender at 34, it has to be JOK

Have a sneaky feeling that's (JOK) who the Jags take at #33. If that occurs the Jets should try to trade down like 5-6 slots at most but in return get more than one 3rd rounder. If that occurs Jets can then take still whoever is left of OT T. Jenkins, CB Samuel jr, RB Williams, WR E. Moore, etc.  in round 2. Not sure why I am wanting RB D. Williams mainly because he is the consensus top 3 pick and I would rather a really good RB for Wilson to help him early on if possible. All I hear is the shelf life of RBs is like 4-5 years, but that is when they are the bell cow and take like 25+ snaps every game. This team will be RB by Committee and RBs in that type of O can last 10+ years since there will be much less wear and tear on them. 

Like the "Jets hoping for a RB at 23" thing from a few days ago, I'm not buying this one.

Ojulari is a bit undersized for an edge in Saleh's scheme, plus the injury issues are a significant red flag.

I'm still thinking JOK, Jenkins or maybe a WR.

• Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, derp said:

Undersized edge rusher who didn’t test as an outstanding athlete and was flagged with a degenerative lower leg condition leaving no more picks on the day. This would be a bummer.

I know he has knee issue but i havent heard anything about it being degenerative. 

nobody knows what Douglas is doing....pretending you do exposes yourself.
Everyone has known the Jets were taking zach wilson since his pro day. Yesterday before the draft started they said on espn that there were rumors the Jets were trying frantically to trade up from their second pick. Douglas might not be as secretive as you believe.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using JetNation.com mobile app

Just now, HawkeyeJet said:

I don't recall Pauline much as a poster(couldn't even tell you his handle) but he must have ruffled some feathers because he gets a steady amount of hate on here when he's generally providing solid, result validated info.

Agreed Dude damn near always right when it comes to jets. 

I would love this pick. He isnt injury prone. He had an injury in high school that supposedly checked out after some questions. He played every game at Georgia over two years. He reminds me of John Abraham and honestly would probably sub into the defense the first year or two anyway. Would love the pick. Dont see how you couldn’t love it. We literally havent drafted a guy like this since Abraham.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app