BENCHES CLEAR After CHEAP SHOT on Zach Wilson

Just now, Warfish said:

Hope he's ready for NFL players to do exactly the same thing, but harder.

Nice to see his team have his back.  Hopefully our team has his back too.

If "any" nfl player hit him with a cheap shot like that they would be suspended & fined... I don't see that happening... 

why would you question if his teammates would back him??? 

• Sympathy 1

What do you find so confusing @jetsons

Let me remind you what happens at the NFL Level:

Kinda makes that "cheap shot" of blocking Wilson look like a tickle.

You think no one will lay one of these on Wilson? 

Don't be naïve, every NFL QB takes their share of overly rough (i.e. cheap) hits every year.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

12 minutes ago, Warfish said:

What do you find so confusing @jetsons

Let me remind you what happens at the NFL Level:

Kinda makes that "cheap shot" of blocking Wilson look like a tickle.

You think no one will lay one of these on Wilson? 

Don't be naïve, every NFL QB takes their share of overly rough (i.e. cheap) hits every year.

not confusing at all...

That play occurred nearly 10 years ago... The players know the rules & ramifications... the play is Much Different today...

you still didn't answer why you feel his teammates wouldn't back him.

Broncos LB Joe Mays suspended for hit on Matt Schaub (houstontexans.com)

Broncos LB Joe Mays suspended for hit on Matt Schaub

Sep 25, 2012 at 09:05 AM

400schaubDEN12b.jpg

JOE MAYSof the Denver Broncos has been suspended for one game and fined $50,000 by NFL Vice President of Football Operations MERTON HANKS for an illegal hit against a defenseless player, the NFL announced today.

In Sunday's Texans-Broncos game, Mays was penalized for roughing the passer in the third quarter for an illegal hit to the head of Houston quarterback MATT SCHAUB.

Mays may not practice this week or be at the team practice facility or stadium for any other activities during the suspension. He will be reinstated on Monday, October 1. Under the Collective Bargaining Agreement, the suspension may be appealed within three business days and an expedited hearing and decision would take place this week in advance of Sunday's game. Appeals are heard and decided by either Art Shell or Ted Cottrell, the officers jointly appointed and compensated by the NFL and NFLPA to decide appeals of on-field player discipline.

Rule 12, Section 2, Article 7 of the NFL Rule Book states: "*It is a foul if a player initiates unnecessary contact against a player who is in a defenseless posture. (a) Players in a defenseless posture are: (1) A player in the act of or just after throwing a pass."      *

Mays was in violation of Rule 12, Section 2, Article 7(b)(1) which sets forth the following prohibited contact against a player who is in a defenseless posture:

"Forcibly hitting the defenseless player's head or neck area with the helmet, facemask, forearm, or shoulder, regardless of whether the defensive player also uses his arms to tackle the defenseless players by encircling or grasping him."

Mays' actions also violated Rule 12, Section 2, Article 8(c) which provides:

HITS TO PASSER'S HEAD AND USE OF HELMET AND FACEMASK

(c) In covering the passer position, Referees will be particularly alert to fouls in which defenders impermissibly use the helmet and/or facemask to hit the passer, or use hands, arms, or other parts of the body to hit the passer forcibly in the head or neck area (see also the other unnecessary roughness rules covering these subjects). A defensive player must not use his helmet against a passer who is in a defenseless posture—for example, (1) forcibly hitting the passer's head or neck area with the helmet or facemask, regardless of whether the defensive player also uses his arms to tackle the passer by encircling or grasping him; or (2) lowering the head and making forcible contact with the top/crown or forehead/"hairline" parts of the helmet against any part of the passer's body. This rule does not prohibit incidental contact by the mask or non-crown parts of the helmet in the course of a conventional tackle on a passer.

2 minutes ago, jetsons said:

you still didn't answer why his teammates wouldn't back him.

Nor do I feel any need to answer your strawman question, given I didn't say his teammates "wouldn't back him".

That play occurred nearly 10 years ago.....

Well, it wasn't one play, but a video compilation of plays.

Second, save the naivety, Sam took plenty of very hard, nasty, late, brutal, bruising hits the last three years.  Under all the new protection rules, still got hit.

So will Wilson.  Get used to that idea now.  Modern rules or not, he's going to be hit, and hit hard. 

Hopefully less than Sam, of course, now that we're actually building an O-line.

But he's going to get hit hard.  Alot harder than that OP clip.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

Literally, 1 of the hardest hits I've ever seen... 85' Bears...

“I can still see the lick Marshall put on Ferguson,” said Ditka. “My God, I thought he’d killed him.”

at the 1:10 mark... there was no flag on this play as it was Legal then...

• Sympathy 1

32 minutes ago, Warfish said:

You put a finger on QBs it gets called. He’ll be fine.  He’s our QB now, whether you like it or not. Let’s get some positivity going.

• Upvote 1
  • WTF? 2
  • Sympathy 2
  • Post of the Week 1

39 minutes ago, Warfish said:

how often does this happen in the NFL? You can't touch the QB with 15 yard penalty.

• Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, heymangold said:

You put a finger on QBs it gets called. He’ll be fine.

Go re-watch the last three seasons if you have any uncertainty about how hard a QB gets hit, sometimes with flags, oftentimes not.

He’s our QB now, whether you like it or not. Let’s get some positivity going.

There is no negativity here.  This is simply a fact. 

If you think Wilson is going to get the Tom Brady no-touching-treatment, you're living in a dream world. 

As I am sure Sam Darnold would attest.

And keep in mind, a flag is an after-action solution.  The hit itself still happens.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

53 minutes ago, jetsons said:

If "any" nfl player hit him with a cheap shot like that they would be suspended & fined... I don't see that happening... 

There is no question about it, his teammates would be putting a target on those players.  It would get ugly.  

1 hour ago, jetsons said:

There was a lot of talking heads who ran with the "team mates don't like him" narrative after the story about him not being voted a captain came out.

Some people (including some on this board) used a shortened clip of this play that showed the hit(s) by the D-linemen only, with no team mates around and suggested that it proved him team mates did not like him.  The clip used did not show that the hits occurred during an INT runback and did not show the brawl as an aftermath.

so the agenda was, don't draft Zach, his team mates didn't even like him.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, jetsons said:

My thoughts exactly, you can barely breath on quarterbacks these days.  I wonder what decade he is thinking about.  Re. his teammates, I think he is referencing the whole team captain "non-issue" and him not being liked, that came up some time ago. 

• Upvote 1

They went out there and waltzed for a minute..  big deal.  Of course you have to do something when your QB getting punked that bad.

I remember Brick and Willie Colon going OGs on some dudes that gave Geno a cheap shot.  They were throwing not just holding each others shoulder pads.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

With comments like this, I'm convinced some of you don't actually watch Jets Games.  

Need an example of a harder hit?

Tom Brady might get the flag on that hit.

Sam didn't.  Wilson won't either, at least not early on.

And not one Jet player did anything to the douchebag who threw Sam to the turf.  That guy on the Broncos should have left the field on a stretcher. Guaranteed that type of crap won't be tolerated with Saleh.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

Nor do I feel any need to answer your strawman question, given I didn't say his teammates "wouldn't back him".

Well, it wasn't one play, but a video compilation of plays.

Second, save the naivety, Sam took plenty of very hard, nasty, late, brutal, bruising hits the last three years.  Under all the new protection rules, still got hit.

So will Wilson.  Get used to that idea now.  Modern rules or not, he's going to be hit, and hit hard. 

Hopefully less than Sam, of course, now that we're actually building an O-line.

But he's going to get hit hard.  Alot harder than that OP clip.

Getting hit and what we just witnessed are not even in the same conversation.  That dude (perhaps both) gets tossed, fined and suspended in todays NFL and that is not even worth debating.  No one assumes he is not going to get hit, least of all Wilson himself.   Only folks seem to be concerned about whether he can take a hit are fans.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, heymangold said:

You put a finger on QBs it gets called. He’ll be fine.  He’s our QB now, whether you like it or not. Let’s get some positivity going.

I seem to recall Darnold taking a few questionable hits that didn't get called.

EDIT: Like the one Warfish posted, lol

• Upvote 4

2 hours ago, jetsons said:

Literally, 1 of the hardest hits I've ever seen... 85' Bears...

“I can still see the lick Marshall put on Ferguson,” said Ditka. “My God, I thought he’d killed him.”

at the 1:10 mark... there was no flag on this play as it was Legal then...

He may have been out from the hit but his head hitting the old turf (carpet over concrete) definitely put his lights out

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

3 hours ago, jbt said:

go ahead try that to him now

Screen-Shot-2020-06-18-at-11_13.08-AM-768x765.thumb.png.ed657d190ad54dd490d1402d0ea9655e.png

That's terrifying. I mean, I am 5'1 1/2" 110, but that means if I was 7'1 1/2" 310 I'd wanna fight a Killer Whale? Or a bulldozer? Or a Killer Whale driving a bulldozer? No, I would not, Sir. Your main objective is to get away, not to engage, anyway; which leads me to say I bet I could run faster than someone who weighs 310 especially if my adrenaline was in oh, no, I'm gonna die gear. Hell, I'm running like a mofo, guaranteed I get away . . unless it was a pissed off Grizzly Bear, those things are pretty fast. : / What was this about again? 

• Upvote 2

I believe that's called given em the business!?

I watched the video it was ridiculous. Football is a rough Sport and I absolutely love seeing somebody get lit up when it's legal.

In fact I'm sure the lines go at it in the trenches. They're calling each other's mothers names, they're bleeding and throwing punches.

Beating up on quarterback's or kickers is weak.

That wasn't a cheap shot they were actually mauling him like it was the running of the bulls LOL! That s*** made me want to go out and beat somebody up.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

no kidding good luck with that sh*t

It's remindful of when Kris Jenkins said this jersey is too tight, just opposite sides of the ball . . . OK, it's kind of like that. In Becton's case, it's Baby Huey in a T-Shirt that's a 100 times too small.  In honor of Baby Huey who was a also a rapper, lol.